Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

I know nothing about this but I'll be following since my other teams are done for their seasons and my vacation lines up with this month's events. I don't know enough to make rankings yet so for now I'll just say my top 3 are whoever is largest, whoever is smallest, and whoever is sassiest. Who would those be?

Largest: Ichinojo, but as per the previous page, he should probably be disqualified. Next largest are Aoiyama and Tochinoshin. They're also the 2 white dudes so they are instantly recognisable. The other option is Takakeisho, who's only slightly lighter but a lot shorter so he's a completely different body type.

Smallest: Midorifuji and Terutsuyoshi are the smallest dudes with Terutsuyoshi slightly shorter. Them, Tobizaru and Ura who are slightly larger but still smaller than average are fun guys to watch as little dudes that try cool stuff against giants. Unfortunately Enho (5'6/214) is down in second division. He's probably the closest to Takanoyama of a dude who's getting as far as he can on skill while being completely outsized.

Sassiest: this is tough since Sumo encourages and celebrates dudes who display a stoic and composed demeanor in ring. I guess Hoshoryu has been getting in trouble for overcelebrating. Maybe Terutsuyoshi for throwing a huge amount of salt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If you want to have a good fun time I recommend following Shodai, Wakatakakage, and Ura.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

pseudodragon posted:

Next largest are Aoiyama and Tochinoshin. They're also the 2 white dudes so they are instantly recognisable.

You can tell them apart because tochinoshin wraps the poo poo out of his right knee, while Akiyama wraps the poo poo out of his left and only has a small amount of tape on his right.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shiroc posted:

One of the tweets mentioned bruises.

Well gently caress him. He's lucky Minato doesn't have any other sekitori and isn't that big in general. I'd imagine in a stable where he isn't the unquestioned top dog, he probably eats a string of beatdowns for hitting the stable mom if there were anyone capable of delivering it.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

ilmucche posted:

You can tell them apart because tochinoshin wraps the poo poo out of his right knee, while Akiyama wraps the poo poo out of his left and only has a small amount of tape on his right.

Let's be honest here. The easiest way to tell them apart is the breast size, but looking for the leg wrap also works!

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Kiribayama
Daieisho

M1-5:
Ura
Wakamotoharu
Nishikifuji

M6-10:
Endo
Takanosho
Abi

M11+:
Oho
Kagayaki
Atamifuji

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Let's be honest here. The easiest way to tell them apart is the breast size, but looking for the leg wrap also works!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

He's lost some of the definition in the last couple years but you could be nice about it and say one of them has visible muscles.

Prime Tochi actually looked jacked.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Takakeisho is a perfectly egg shaped man

Tamageisho

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
my picks for kyushu:

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Shodai
-

S/K:
Tamawashi
Wakatakakage
Kiribayama

M1-5:
Hokutofuji
Takayasu
Wakamotoharu

M6-10:
Takanosho
Nishikifuji
Nishikigi

M11+:
Atamifuji
Kotoeko
Kagayaki

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hakuho is a legend because he was both the largest and sassiest and best

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

this rules

Eli949
Oct 23, 2008
Feels like this is going to be chaotic and messy tournament. Here’s hoping we get an Ozeki run out of someone starting soon!

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Wakatakage
Hoshoryu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Takayasu
Nishikifuji
Wakamotoharu

M6-10:
Nishikigi
Abi
Myogiryu

M11+:
Kotoshoho
Azumaryu
Kotoshoho

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Ohh, didn't know there was a Sumo thread. Been following for several years. Was supposed to go to the March Basho in 2020, but then covid happened. Plan is to try again in 2023.

I went to Nagoya 2019 on a whim and knowing nothing about sumo and now I'm somehow sitting on top of the goonzuke standings.

some kinda jackal posted:

I know I retired from official fantasy, but here's my picks for the fantasy-fantasy-metabasho because I have nothing better to do

Y/O: Tiny Bug Child/ankha/Banana Canada
S/K: Thauros/Eli949/scripterror
M1-5: Kenning/Jobo_Fett/Crusty Nutsack
M6-10: whats for dinner/Communist Thoughts/EveryonesFavoritePoster
M11+: Fluffdaddy/bessantj/ratmosphere

I appreciate the fact that you chose me but only as a third pick. Getting a jun-yusho in the previous tournament means that I'm all banged up and broken for this tournament.

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu
Tamawashi

M1-5:
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu
Takayasu

M6-10:
Takanosho
Ryuden
Nishikigi

M11+:
Atamifuji
Kotoeko
Onosho

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Looking forward to seeing what Tochimusashi can deliver in his second juryo tournament

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

pseudodragon posted:

He's lost some of the definition in the last couple years but you could be nice about it and say one of them has visible muscles.

Prime Tochi actually looked jacked.

Prime Tochinoshin was incredibly jacked.

If anybody's ever wondered why his knees are so bad, here's 11 minutes of him picking up gigantic sumo wrestlers like little children and gently setting them outside the ring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RVTLgT7K6A

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
Yay basho time!

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Mitakeumi

M1-5:
Kotonowaka
Ura
Takayasu

M6-10:
Abi
Chiyoshoma
Takanosho

M11+:
Oho
Terutsuyoshi
Atamifuji

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Y/O:
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Mitakeumi
Tamawashi

M1-5:
Kotonowaka
Ura
Wakamotoharu

M6-10:
Abi
Takanosho
Aoiyama

M11+:
Atamifuji
Ichiyamamoto
Chiyotairyu

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Today's pre-basho episode of the Sumo Mainichi podcast had a shocking revelation re: the macaron colours

It's a fixed three-color rotation. The goonzuke tiebreaker is in shambles

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Y/O:
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu
Kiribayama

M1-5:
Nishikifuji
Takayasu
Wakamotoharu

M6-10:
Abi
Ryuden
Takanosho

M11+:
Atamifuji
Okinoumi
Ichiyamamoto

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Get your picks in! I'm hoping to do the draft in about 6 hours.

Beeswax posted:

Today's pre-basho episode of the Sumo Mainichi podcast had a shocking revelation re: the macaron colours

I learned this a few months ago and didn't tell the thread because I didn't want to break any hearts.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Beeswax posted:

How do you delete someone else's post Jeffrey

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

I’ve lost Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy. Let me have this :smith:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Lid posted:

How do you delete someone else's post Jeffrey

ratmosphere
Oct 31, 2017

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Shodai
Teru I guess??

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Tobizaru
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Hokutofuji
Kotonowaka
Takayasu

M6-10:
Takanosho
Abi
Ryuden

M11+:
Okinoumi
Ichiyamamoto
Atamifuji

Celebrating being a third-string goonzeki M11+ pick by taking some big risks on some injured rikishi.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Y/O:
Shodai
Takakeisho

S/K:
Mitakeumi
Tamawashi
Daieisho

M1-5:
Ura
Sadanoumi
Hokutofuji

M6-10:
Tochinoshin
Takanosho
Chiyoshoma

M11+:
Oho
Terutsuyoshi
Kotoeko

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Beeswax posted:

what the gently caress

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

oh man, Katsunofuji :(

if you have a weak stomach, maybe don't watch that fight

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah that was awful. I hope he gets better soon. :smith:
The fight itself wasn't bad, but the audio was pretty gross.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Was that all the slapping I just heard while waiting to enter?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

What actually happened?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Teddybear posted:

What actually happened?
Pretty sure the dude snapped his ACL or another very important tendon in his knee.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Hey, it's old man akiseyama. I thought he'd retired

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3
Is there a stream somewhere? NHK's website is telling me it doesn't start for 3 hours :(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

HELLO LADIES posted:

Is there a stream somewhere? NHK's website is telling me it doesn't start for 3 hours :(
You're probably better off waiting for NHK's highlights reel, though you can hit up MidnightSumo on Twitch if you want to watch every last bout.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

HELLO LADIES posted:

Search Live Sumo on youtube you'll find some.

Edit: Proxy Posting for a friend again hopefully in under the wire.

Shikona: PJ

Y/O:
Shodai
Takakeisho
Takakeisho's left hand

S/K:
Tamawashi
Hoshoryu
Kiribayama

M1-5:
Takayasu
Hokutofuji
Ura

M6-10:
Tochinohin
Chiyoshoma
Aoiyama

M11+:
Kotoeko
Okinoumi
Oho

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 13, 2022

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Lots of clapping for asanoyama :lofty:

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

HELLO LADIES posted:

I gotcha:

Log082 posted:

With the basho fast approaching (and me stuck at home with a sore throat so I don't pass whatever it is on to my friends instead of eating chanko nabe, which is sucks) I wanted to put together a post of where to watch sumo for new people.

There are three options I personally like.

NHK does a highlights stream each day, streamed on their website: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/ It has English commentary and is really good for people new to sumo as the commentary will describe strategy, moves, and judges decisions. However, they only show matches for the top ranks, and not always all of those.

Natto Sumo https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErxT8KRQi3JJEwMCDrcHBg does compilations of the top three ranks, and presents in depth stat cards prior to each match. However they don't have commentary so it can be a bit tricky to follow if you're new to the sport.

Finally, there are a few twitch channels that stream matches live, starting between 7:30ish and 9:30ish EST depending on the night's schedule. Live matches start with the lowest ranks and gradually work their way to the highest, so you're not going to see Makushita (the highest ranks) until late at night/early morning. Low rank sumo is still fun to watch, though, if not always the same demonstration of skill and athleticism as the upper ranks.

Of these twitch channels, Midnight Sumo https://twitch.tv/MidnightSumo is my personal preference. Midnight posts stats and a short biography before each match, even for the lowest ranked rikishi, which is great when otherwise you'd have no idea who you're watching. The chat is also small enough to have conversations about the match, and people there are very knowledgeable and happy to answer questions.

edit: low ranked sumo https://clips.twitch.tv/CreativeBillowingTruffleTBTacoRight-OU8TGPRibXeHVvpP

edit: ENHO!

Log082 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 13, 2022

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

HELLO LADIES posted:

https://twitch.tv/mbovosumo
https://twitch.tv/karla_sumoist
https://twitch.tv/midnightsumo

or just go to youtube and type in sumo and filter it to live streams, something will pop up.

Or VPN to Japan and go to https://abema.tv/now-on-air/sumo

NHK's live coverage if you're physically in Japan starts usually somewhere halfway through Juryo, and if you're watching the international version of NHK on your cable package you only get like the last hour and only on weekends, it sucks. Anything else you're seeing originates from the Abema feed.

Brut fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Midnight's channel has a real silly vibe with their views, Mbovo is more serious. Both are just fine if you don't read chat. :D