Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

I have a question, why is there a 40GB file in location:

C:\users\<username>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Victoria 3\logs\error.log

???

If the game throws a certain type of error it won't stop throwing it. Common if you're playing Germany (one of the achievements is bugged)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Orange Devil posted:

I have a question, why is there a 40GB file in location:

C:\users\<username>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Victoria 3\logs\error.log

???

You using mods? Anbeeld's Revision of AI likes to spit out a massive amount of errors for example. You can open the file using something like Notepad++ and see what is actually causing it. Don't open it with regular Notepad.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 12, 2022

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Germany unified / formed in my game they have 1114 battalions and like 500 or something conscripts lol

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are there any workarounds for the extremely poopoo performance late game

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

buglord posted:

Racism helps (less migration = less pop groups the game has to keep track of)

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

buglord posted:

Crash the world economy and plummet world SoL to drive down the global population to manageable levels

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
https://www.twitch.tv/drkarmicknight
Opium Plantation Updates With Occasion Victoria 3 MP News.
Imperialism is the good sport. WHen people are colonizing, the crowd goes "wow", it's good, clean fun for the whole family. The man on the street loves to see imperialism, and that is why a variety of criminals gave it to him, until too many of them were shot, chainsawed, jailed for murder, jailed for tax evasion, or ran out of money. So now there's really only one game in town.
Opium, it comes from the earth.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lol the kashmir thing put me in the hole playing as the sikhs. The question is, how do I make SoL go up? I am assuming it makes it easier for me to have a domestic consumption based economy.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Oh goody. It's 1864 and the Franco (ME) Prussian war has kicked off. We have no way to get at each other so this should be fun.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Any strategies so far to control the flux of trade? Especially with critical stuff like tools and all

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
The year is 1918, Europe is rocked by the great war as an opium addicted 99 year old Queen Victoria tries to hold her empire together against Communist rebels, who are trying to make a Scottish Nihilist emperor.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

buglord posted:

Until a patch comes out it seems the main way to fix it is to use a mod that disables the multiculturalism law or prevents the AI from using it, since immigration causes a lot of performance issues later on. Probably only useful for a new game though. There are also mods that massively ups the assimilation rate which should merge split (immigrant) pops fast enough to stop them from gunking up the system.

I haven't used them myself since I keep starting new games instead of playing until the end, so I can't vouch for how well they work.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Just decided to call my Sweden game. My economy is totally in shambles, I have both mass job openings and mass unemployment. I blame Groogy for this. I passed worker protections, up from regulatory watchdogs, and my economy instantly tore itself apart because factories can't pay the wages that workers demand and wages were already high so it's basically impossible to fix this. My migration is already limited to Europeans, but the whole thing is a mess so off to the next game because there's no way to fix this before my insane deficit destroys everything.

I think there's also some weird issues with turmoil in states too because throughout basically the entire game my core states were wracked with 30-50% turmoil despite being overall high SoL and the institution that makes fewer radicals from SoL changes were maxed out. There was also some really weird intracountry migration where my pops were moving around Scandinavia so whenever I built a new building it would usually stay empty even though nearby states had pops that could migrate there. Europe is a total shithole and there were constant revolutions and turmoil explosions all over there too. I have a feeling that some number somewhere is hosed and it's the reason why we're seeing such instability all over Europe. Probably related to unfulfilled political movements and radicalism not fading as fast as it should.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Thanks for the Brazil tips i asked a few days ago. Wrapping up my playthrough now, it's been a fun ride. actually managed to lose the opening war against gran para cause I was stoned and forgot to assign a general to the front, but it doesn't really set you back. Slowly expanded for a while based on coffee and tobacco exports and lots and lots of ports, almost debt-spiraled into oblivion in the 1870s but Britain bailed me out, after which we were ride or die so far as I was concerned. I'd waited too long to switch from wood to modern construction methods; once I had room again for deficit spending it was off to the races and SoL began to rocket up, at least until unchecked immigration from filthy euros fleeing the war torn old countries began to reverse it. By the dawn of the 20th century we were booming all over the place, passing reforms left and right, and naturally humiliating and dominion-ing our unfortunate, destitute neighbors across South America.

The rest of the world was interesting; Abraham Lincoln will be remembered as the President who presided over the peaceful end of slavery, and for America's calamitous defeat against the glorious Canada-Mexico axis and the loss of the west. France dominates the planet, with treaty ports across the oceans. It's currently 1914, Austria and Prussia are engaged in brutal trench warfare, with both nations having overthrown their incompetent pre-war regimes in the first few months before resuming hostilities under military dictators. Russia is allied with Austria and getting absolutely smashed. Brazil has at last surpassed the declining USA in global prestige, and begins to look outward...

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Right now, is the only way to turn Communist/Anarchist is watching for leader ideologies that randomly spawn?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

trapped mouse posted:

Right now, is the only way to turn Communist/Anarchist is watching for leader ideologies that randomly spawn?

I don't think they're random? There's an event you get that turns your labor unions some flavor of communist.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol wtf is there seriously still no patch for the late game slowdown

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Coming this week supposedly.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

this is their first time playing past 1860 give the devs some time okay

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I kind of want to try an Ottoman achievement run for my next game because it's nice to start with oil and opium so that means I only need to snag Borneo and maybe the Niger Delta and I'm set for all the important strategic resources - but I have been absolutely hitting this game way too hard in the last week so I think this can wait until Thanksgiving time off.

edit: Australia would be pretty cool too now that I think about it .... arrgh I gotta put this on the shelf or I will lose my mind.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Waifu Radia posted:

lol

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh Netherlands you hosed up, getting involved in my Brazilian mucking about in the Niger river delta. I'll just add a war goal to conquer Dutch Guiana out from under you and thanks so much for the gold fields.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Waifu Radia posted:

Brutal.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Welp, I made it to 1917 before the slowdown became unbearable. Maybe I should try that rapid assimilation mod and see if that clears it up.

Argentina has been a lot of fun. I just shot up to 150+ infamy after puppeting what's left of Brazil but I have a strong navy so I'm not sure if it really matters anymore. And yes it is a little irritating that communist France has the same exact map color as Great Britain. I don't know what the hell is going on Africa.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Lol at the corn laws exploit for central America

Also love that the recognized country is genuinely harder to play than unrecognized Persia. Persia makes me feel like central Asia is my oyster and power is right around the corner. Central America is watching a ticking time bomb of radicalized landowners while your peasants drop ever smaller and every point of construction you can get without crippling debt is precious

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

today I managed to annexed in multiplayer as NGF by bavaria, it was hilarious.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ItohRespectArmy posted:

today I managed to annexed in multiplayer as NGF by bavaria, it was hilarious.

It was genuinely incredibly funny.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I didn't realize how easy it was to form Großdeutschland in this game as Prussia. After Nationalism is researched you can fight Austria for leadership (not a very difficult fight), and then they just become another person who can support you as a unification candidate, even if they are a Great Power. And annexing them costs a whopping zero (0) infamy.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I'm in an incredibly silly situation. Egypt was a participant in an Algerian civil war. One of the Algerias full occupied the other, and the country is unified. However, because neither Algeria nor Egypt share a border or a nautical connection, their war is just kind of sitting there.

I puppeted Egypt, and they were still at war with Algeria. I then went and puppeted Algeria... and they're still at war with Egypt. Despite both being my puppets and participating together in my diplomatic plays.

There are definitely some fucky bits with how willing countries are to remain at war when they can't interact with each other, and especially if one of them gets taken over by a third party. It's even sillier because I can't do poo poo to tell either of them to knock it the hell off and get back to peace already. They've each paid well over 1.8 million in war costs for absolutely no reason.

Also my gold reserve limit has somehow become 1,000. I really, really, really wish they'd fix all of the overflow bugs that keep popping up

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

This game is a loving masterpiece sometimes.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

Also my gold reserve limit has somehow become 1,000. I really, really, really wish they'd fix all of the overflow bugs that keep popping up

Apparently this happens when your GDP hits around 4.2 billion.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just realized that one big problem with the economy is that there's no measurement of potential demand for goods that don't exist in a market yet. For example, if you don't have any wine in your market, the tooltip for changing your production methods on farms will assume that there are zero buy orders for wine, and so any wine they could produce would be sold at the minimum price. The tooltip will show a huge loss. Of course, if you flip the PM on and off, your pops will suddenly have a demand for wine and the tooltip will fix itself.

Obviously the tooltips aren't always accurate, but this could be a major problem if the AI is making decisions based on this calculation.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fister Roboto posted:

I just realized that one big problem with the economy is that there's no measurement of potential demand for goods that don't exist in a market yet. For example, if you don't have any wine in your market, the tooltip for changing your production methods on farms will assume that there are zero buy orders for wine, and so any wine they could produce would be sold at the minimum price. The tooltip will show a huge loss. Of course, if you flip the PM on and off, your pops will suddenly have a demand for wine and the tooltip will fix itself.

Obviously the tooltips aren't always accurate, but this could be a major problem if the AI is making decisions based on this calculation.

The AI is almost certainly making decisions based on this calculation, which is one of the major reasons we see the AI fail to develop late-game resources. No demand for oil, so they never build oil rigs. No oil in the market (or only a tiny amount of oil from whaling stations), so no method of production using oil will ever appear to be profitable or practical to the AI. I noticed in my Brazil game, my customs union partner Venezuela finally started building oil rigs in like the 1920s when the price of oil in my market had been sitting at like +70% for a while. Venezuela ended up being the #2 producer of oil in the world after me simply because almost no other AI that could build oil rigs had any demand for it!

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Pakled posted:

The AI is almost certainly making decisions based on this calculation, which is one of the major reasons we see the AI fail to develop late-game resources. No demand for oil, so they never build oil rigs. No oil in the market (or only a tiny amount of oil from whaling stations), so no method of production using oil will ever appear to be profitable or practical to the AI. I noticed in my Brazil game, my customs union partner Venezuela finally started building oil rigs in like the 1920s when the price of oil in my market had been sitting at like +70% for a while. Venezuela ended up being the #2 producer of oil in the world after me simply because almost no other AI that could build oil rigs had any demand for it!

Edit: reading comprehension

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah I suspect the only fix for that is going to be specifically scripting the AI that if they have relevant techs researched and access to relevant resources they should build an appropriate number of various sorts of building/change an appropriate number of production methods in order to extract and exploit the resource and not worry about profitability for some amount of time, and hopefully find the sweet spot between 'the AI never builds anything because it's not profitable' and 'the AI built too much poo poo and cratered its economy trying to crash develop an electronics industry'

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Playing as the Netherlands, if I'm taking additional land in Indonesia, do I generally want to hand it off to the East India Company or keep it for myself? I know Borneo has some amazing resources, so I'm not sure if I can/should trust the AI with those.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Playing as the Netherlands, if I'm taking additional land in Indonesia, do I generally want to hand it off to the East India Company or keep it for myself? I know Borneo has some amazing resources, so I'm not sure if I can/should trust the AI with those.

I would keep it, because giving it to the DEI you just get a percentage of their money and whatever resources they extract are in your market, but the AI as pointed out doesn't know how to exploit the resources in question, so it's worth much more to you if you directly administer it.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

I made the mistake of giving the land to the DEIC in my Netherlands game, and they're as bad as every other AI at developing their resources. I don't think you get any opinion malus with the company for administering the territory directly, at present it's a pure trap option.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Feels like if I as unified Germany have the North German federation in my customs union/as a protectorate AND have relatively good relations they should just ask to join Germany.

Also a bit weird that all the German states I inherited are Unincorporated states? I know that there should be some representation of the administrative difficulty of bringing in a new state, but it was their idea too, I would hope we'd all have been a bit more prepared for it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Are there better states to take than Egypt for securing Opium?

Maybe. But it'll let me approach Africa from two sides, so.