Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does anyone else think the start button on the controller is a bit too close to the triangle button? I sometimes hit the triangle at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Haha on the fifth Kvasir poem I realized what's going on here

they're all references to other Sony games.

Reminds me of the old "reinterpret" threads from here back in the day.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yes. The death stranding one is hilarious.

Bomb, piss

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Casnorf posted:

There's a meme floating around that talks about the differences in storytelling: Ogre Battle enemies are people, with lives and stories that you probably just ended. Final Fantasy enemies are caricatures, and Fire Emblem enemies are stick figures.

if you do fire emblem wrong the enemies are your besties you didn't take to enough lunches

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Haha yeah that's the one that made me sit up and take notice.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
also ya'll have convinced me to try tactics ogre after dad of war

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wonder if when the train lever breaks and the gears start spinning out of control Kratos was thinking “drat I wish I had a naked woman to jam in there right now”

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

also ya'll have convinced me to try tactics ogre after dad of war

This is the next game I have started on now that I finished Ragnarok.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Casnorf posted:

There's a meme floating around that talks about the differences in storytelling: Ogre Battle enemies are people, with lives and stories that you probably just ended. Final Fantasy enemies are caricatures, and Fire Emblem enemies are stick figures.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

if you do fire emblem wrong the enemies are your besties you didn't take to enough lunches

And then you kill a dragon and the day is saved

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

It's such a bummer how immersion breaking these constant hints and tips are in gowr. Please give me a loving toggle.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wiltsghost posted:

It's such a bummer how immersion breaking these constant hints and tips are in gowr. Please give me a loving toggle.

if you mean the other characters constantly chiming in, you can shut them up by going to Accessibility -> Navigation & Puzzles -> set “Puzzle Timing” to Extended+

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Ragnarok is ... ok. I'm just not blown away or anything. I guess this is what Forbidden West detractors said about More Of The Same. I liked that game's combat better and it's world was more fun to explore. I'm in the elf zone where the puzzles are throwing your axe to reflect off those purple ores and I'm already tired of so many puzzles, they are just tedious and stop the flow of the game. People complain about the kid or head telling you what to do but I'm all for it, if I have to stop and look around and go 'wut do i do" for more than two minutes I'm already on the way to irritation.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

if you mean the other characters constantly chiming in, you can shut them up by going to Accessibility -> Navigation & Puzzles -> set “Puzzle Timing” to Extended+

Maybe it's bugged or something but that only made the puzzles take longer. Didn't change anything with the chatter.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wiltsghost posted:

Maybe it's bugged or something but that only made the puzzles take longer. Didn't change anything with the chatter.

That's what that option does. There does not appear to be a "shut up" setting

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/capybaroness/status/1591479497739898880

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I feel like I barely get any hints at all for puzzles? Am I just completing them so fast I don’t get a chance to hear them??

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I am glad Atreus and Mimir continue that fine tradition of holding my hand through every puzzle and enemy encounter (why won't they shut the gently caress up).

Aloy would be proud.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah having Atreus and Mimir constantly yelling ‘behind you!’ And that I’m on fire, and that I just got hit in the face, etc. isn’t that helpful, and it’s more distracting than anything, and is just not very chill overall. I don’t mind them pointing out when there’s mooks hanging on the wall or up above throwing poo poo, but all of other things have pretty distinct visual cues and when you add in their yelling it’s just overwhelming.

Lol at Modi or Magni, one of them, showing up in helheim, and Atreus says ‘what is he doing here?’ And kratos says ‘he’s dead’. Also drat fenrir, that owns.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Seeing the night turn to day was loving cool. This whole area is beautiful.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
David Jaffe directed the original god of war games, then left to found another studio or something. Anyway when metroid dread came out he bitched and cried because it was too hard to figure out where to go. People dunked on him on Twitter, prompting him to double down, crying about poor game design. His biggest problem was not finding breakable blocks to open a new pathway, which is something you do in every single metroid game

Eventually nintendo released a short tip video, including a few seconds showing how to break the blocks in the room he was stuck on. Real gamers the world over laughed at Jaffe.

I know he wasn't involved in these new god of war games but I can't help but think about this story when people complain about too much hand holding lol

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

imhotep posted:

Yeah having Atreus and Mimir constantly yelling ‘behind you!’ And that I’m on fire, and that I just got hit in the face, etc. isn’t that helpful, and it’s more distracting than anything, and is just not very chill overall. I don’t mind them pointing out when there’s mooks hanging on the wall or up above throwing poo poo, but all of other things have pretty distinct visual cues and when you add in their yelling it’s just overwhelming.

Lol at Modi or Magni, one of them, showing up in helheim, and Atreus says ‘what is he doing here?’ And kratos says ‘he’s dead’. Also drat fenrir, that owns.

I think that was just a normal raider? Not a named character. In the previous game you mostly just saw generic helwalkers in that area. Still gave me a solid laugh.

My biggest laugh so far was “Hey, why don’t you stick your hand in that thing …I was joking!” They poke fun a the irrational video game things you do really well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kilometers Davis posted:

So what is Tactics Ogre again? It’s been explained to me like 50 times and my brain never retains it. What’s cool about it? Why do you like it?

It's big final fantasy tactics

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Honestly there can be so much poo poo going on, I get why they have audible callouts. Sometimes their commentary lands after you’ve clearly already figured something out, but they just want to help :unsmith:

This game is crack to me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Saying people are behind you helps because you don't have a wide open third-person view to see everyone with so how would you know you're being snuck up on otherwise? The fire thing is just more shock than anything, normally people either scream, try to put it out or start rolling on the ground, you don't usually see people just fighting through being on fire.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

Honestly there can be so much poo poo going on, I get why they have audible callouts. Sometimes their commentary lands after you’ve clearly already figured something out, but they just want to help :unsmith:

This game is crack to me.

I like the "behind you!" callouts, but telling you that you are on fire every time you are on fire is baffling and sort of hilarious.

The fact that atreus basically tells how to solve the puzzle the second you come across it is annoying but I also don't like the puzzles that much so I'm just looking to get them over with so whatever.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Vikar, if you're out there, I finished Mass Effect 2 today. I didn't skip it like you said I shouldn't and I liked it a lot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Honestly I like Sony exclusives a lot in general but they all have the crappiest puzzles. If I could remove every puzzle section of uncharted GOW and Horizon I would. GOW is actually the least offensive of the bunch, as I find them passable but they are still bad. And I really like video game puzzles, but the AAA approach to puzzles is just straight trash wasting my time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How often are you all being set on fire or hit at all?

No wonder the game is yelling at you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
NBA Jam yelled that I was on fire a lot too

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

NBA Jam yelled that I was on fire a lot too

Not me. I was always bad at NBA Jam.

At least I had the code that let me play as Bill Clinton for some reason.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Fix posted:

Vikar, if you're out there, I finished Mass Effect 2 today. I didn't skip it like you said I shouldn't and I liked it a lot.

that games sick. Did you play as the class with the magic shoulder charge??

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Boy catching up with this thread has made me really miss Ragnarok. I can’t wait to get back to it tomorrow!

Been interesting to see which people seem let down by it and how a significant amount of those people are people who weren’t let down by Forbidden West

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Been interesting to see which people seem let down by it and how a significant amount of those people are people who weren’t let down by Forbidden West

I'm trying to make even the slightest bit of sense out of this and coming up with nothing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
?????? its not complicated

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I dunno it's just kind of a confusing statement in general.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I noticed a lot of posters who loved Forbidden West with no caveats are people who have been posting about not totally loving Ragnarok, and vice versa (including myself).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pls name them

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Agrias120 posted:

Also certain paths are locked behind keeping up to date on the report, if I remember right. I think recruiting notable GOAT’d character Dame Ravness requires you to read about a certain event in the Report.

Whoops think I hosed this one up already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I didn't expect to cry this much during dad of war 2.
Tears of grief, tears of joy, I can't remember ever being this emotionally involved in a game. Some of the scenes and dialogue will stay with me for a long time.

What a rollercoaster it was, credits rolled at 34 hours for me. Glad I took two days off from work to plow through it completely unspoiled.