Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's completely obvious; of course people in the early part of the 20th century called the 1890s "the Nineties", why wouldn't they? But it always throws me for a loop a little when I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I love how it's hard to judge by the fashion if this was published in the early 20th century or the 21st

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Byzantine posted:

It's completely obvious; of course people in the early part of the 20th century called the 1890s "the Nineties", why wouldn't they? But it always throws me for a loop a little when I see it.

These articles also keep referring to the 1850's as "The 50's" and remarking on it as a "simpler time" which also throws me when it's about some Civil War vet's youth.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

nineties gay so what

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

barbecue at the folks posted:

I love how it's hard to judge by the fashion if this was published in the early 20th century or the 21st

Gay fashion is eternally cool

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

If it's not annoying to ask in this thread: I was possibly interested in starting a thread where I post intriguing bits of trivia and historical anecdotes about my home city of Rochester, NY that I dig out of the archives. I've come across a lot of compelling characters, interesting tales, and cool buildings long-demolished that I think would be cool. Only thing is I'm not sure what would be the most appropriate forum for it. Where should I post something like that?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

If it's not annoying to ask in this thread: I was possibly interested in starting a thread where I post intriguing bits of trivia and historical anecdotes about my home city of Rochester, NY that I dig out of the archives. I've come across a lot of compelling characters, interesting tales, and cool buildings long-demolished that I think would be cool. Only thing is I'm not sure what would be the most appropriate forum for it. Where should I post something like that?

Make a pyf thread and post your favorite Rochester pictures. I'll read it. All I know about Rochester is Kodak and the university.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Make a pyf thread and post your favorite Rochester pictures. I'll read it. All I know about Rochester is Kodak and the university.
Xerox too!

...and another university :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Brawnfire posted:

imo its fine to post about a local weirdo, but posting about why a street got its name is bad (unless its named after the weirdo)

heres bad: i was in rochester like 20 years ago for a wedding, but before the night some of us went out to get hosed up, which turned out to be hard when im the only one over 21 and walmart wouldnt accept a danish drivers license. i was like "do you see the 19xx on there? what could it possibly mean other than my birth year" but dude was liek nope. thats my rochester story. hope yall name a street after me

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A fair number of the city streets around here are, in fact, named for the important figures of the city's history, from founding families to tycoons to mayors, but I'm usually a bit bored by the "important" folks. Many other streets are named for whatever guy owned the land the street was cut through; while often they were a rich businessman, sometimes they were just some freak with a shack on a huge plot. So while interesting stories can come from street names, usually on their own they're not very interesting. Oh wow, Front Street was Market Street, which was itself Mason Street prior to that? My gosh!

I tend to be most interested in old buildings that have served numerous purposes, and the stories from newspaper archives about the strange events that happened in them. Walking past an edifice and thinking "wow, that looks old" then discovering an horrific event that happened there in 1889 is a mind-blow every time.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Xerox too!

I had no idea about Xerox!

I only know about Kodak because I wondered why so many of the optical engineers I met came from the University of Rochester.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
In my hometown a friend of mine emancipated herself in the middle of the JNCO and edgelord industrial pase everybody went through and moved into a house in a new development. Turns out the first person to move on to a street gets to name it and that's why there's a Katana Drive in Maine

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This vile South Henrietta Institute of Technology erasure won't stand! :argh:

Yeah, I attended RIT. :smith:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Trabant posted:

This vile South Henrietta Institute of Technology erasure won't stand! :argh:

Yeah, I attended RIT. :smith:

Hey, fellow Tiger *sultry roar*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

go for it brawnfire

ps my cousins father in law worked for kodak

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I am working on a [hopefully] decent OP and will drop a link in here when I'm done. I'm gonna open it up to anyone who has weird info about their hometown/town of choice.

Thanks for letting me bend your ear about this serious and important issue.

Edit: thread is up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017351

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 07:18 on Nov 12, 2022

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
I came across a Swedish poem from 1660 that was surprisingly vulgar, especially as it was written by a dude with the impossibly aristocratic name George Stiernhielm.

Rough translation by me:

The king's prick we must praise
As it brought us peace and comfort
The queen's pussy we should also honor
As it brought us beloved peace
Were the king without balls
There'd still be shooting from our walls

Now he has tools and wit
Every man looks towards the peace
A French cock and a Spanish oval office
Taught us best how to come to peace
God gave us peace in our time
gently caress may he who wishes

Here is the original Swedish if someone want to look at it or attempt a better translation, mine was quick and dirty. I can't make much sense of the first line of the second paragraph in Swedish, so there's definitely room for improvement.

Kungens basse bör vi prisa
som oss bragte frid och lisa,
drottningens mus bör och ära,
som oss bragte freden kära.
Vore kungar utan ballar
skötes än från våra vallar.

Nu han redskap har och råder
var man sig åt freden gläder,
en fransk kuk och en spansk fitta,
lärd' oss bäst på freden hitta.
Gud gav fred i våra dagar,
knulla må som den behagar.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
I forgot to mention, the poem was written in celebration of the end of the Franco-Spanish war. The peace treaty depended on a marriage between King Louis XIV of France and princess Maria Theresa of Spain - the French cock and the Spanish oval office in the poem.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I propose that we also adopt Fransk and Spansk as the adjectives for those countries.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Spansk sounds like a slur against people who like being spanked.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

girl dick energy posted:

Which is weird, because the French are the other word!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

In Norway teachers used a stick made out of bamboo called spanskrøret (the spanish tube) for corporal punishment.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

girl dick energy posted:

Don’t give the moderators of CD any ideas.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Offler posted:

I came across a Swedish poem from 1660 that was surprisingly vulgar, especially as it was written by a dude with the impossibly aristocratic name George Stiernhielm.

Rough translation by me:

The king's prick we must praise
As it brought us peace and comfort
The queen's pussy we should also honor
As it brought us beloved peace
Were the king without balls
There'd still be shooting from our walls

Now he has tools and wit
Every man looks towards the peace
A French cock and a Spanish oval office
Taught us best how to come to peace
God gave us peace in our time
gently caress may he who wishes

Here is the original Swedish if someone want to look at it or attempt a better translation, mine was quick and dirty. I can't make much sense of the first line of the second paragraph in Swedish, so there's definitely room for improvement.

Kungens basse bör vi prisa
som oss bragte frid och lisa,
drottningens mus bör och ära,
som oss bragte freden kära.
Vore kungar utan ballar
skötes än från våra vallar.

Nu han redskap har och råder
var man sig åt freden gläder,
en fransk kuk och en spansk fitta,
lärd' oss bäst på freden hitta.
Gud gav fred i våra dagar,
knulla må som den behagar.

Makes sense - a lot of the poetry of the era was remarkably vulgar. He’s no Bellman, but ol’ Stiernhielm could get nice and bawdy when he felt like it.

Side note: all of Stiernhielm’s fancy portraits depict him with his left hand forward or his right concealed. The reason? He lost his right hand in a bar fight, and we can date his writings based on the handwriting changes.

His major notable work is Hercules at the Crossroads, which is baroque as gently caress. Had a great seminar in grad school that spent a few weeks going through his work, and always enjoyed it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

here's some cool underwater 3d scans of sunken 300 year old merchant vessels that were just discovered by the Sea War Museum Jutland

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Pieter Sjoerds Gerbrandy was the prime minister of the Dutch government in exile during World War 2. He was a member of the Anti-Revolutionary Party (ARP). The party leadership adhered to a weird neo-Calvinism that somehow led them to the conclusion that Nazi Germany wouldn't have conquered The Netherlands if God didn't allow it. As such, they believed that Gerbrandy, and other ARP politicians who chose to flee rather than stay behind, had gone against the prevalent theology of the party.

So they wanted to boot Gerbrandy from the party. However, being the second most visible member of the government in exile after Queen Wilhelmina, they were worried about a popular backlash if they removed him for not just taking the German invasion like the party wanted him to. In the end, they found an acceptable excuse in the party bylaws - Gerbrandy was expelled from the party for moving without filing a proper notification of change of address with the party secretary.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In an alternate, some would say better, timeline the cycloped (a train powered by horses) from 1829 beat trains powered by steam:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Where do the poops go

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Off the end of the treadmill and onto the tracks.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ArcMage posted:

Off the end of the treadmill and onto the tracks.

yea p much like regular trains or planes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Alhazred posted:

In an alternate, some would say better, timeline the cycloped (a train powered by horses) from 1829 beat trains powered by steam:

I always loved the horse trolleys my city had before 1890 (fond memories from my pre-vampirism days) so I'd be 100% on board with this.

The Equus Express

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

the old train carts from iirc the 1960s that were still in use from my hometown to my high school had toilets that opened onto the tracks like planes or dave matthews tour buses. i dont remember exactly when they started locking the toilet doors, but it was in the 1990s, and since then its a new set of carts without toilets at all

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Carthag Tuek posted:

the old train carts from iirc the 1960s that were still in use from my hometown to my high school had toilets that opened onto the tracks like planes or dave matthews tour buses. i dont remember exactly when they started locking the toilet doors, but it was in the 1990s, and since then its a new set of carts without toilets at all

so you just poo poo where ever you please?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The train only goes on the tracks

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
There was a horse car line in Denver where the horse got to ride in the back on the downhill part of the line

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ChubbyChecker posted:

so you just poo poo where ever you please?

there are irl public toilets in denmark but back in 00 or 01 i was taking the last train to a new years eve party, about 10-10:30pm and i really had to piss, like 5 min emergency. the train toilets were locked off since the 90s & i didnt feel right about pissing on the floor so i went up to the engine and asked the guy if he could hold up for a minute so i could step out and take a leak. he was like "no way im stopping, im going home after. you can step out and watch me leave or piss out the door" so alright, i slid open a door and held it with my shoulder while i drunkenly pissed out into the forest at 50 mph. cold air and sleet made me feel sober for a minute but i absolutely wasnt. for some reason i did not fall out the train & get cut in half by a tree, so i got back to the engine & thanked the man. ten minutes later we were at our destination, fresh and energized except the friend who invited me had gone to bed

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Carthag Tuek posted:

there are irl public toilets in denmark but back in 00 or 01 i was taking the last train to a new years eve party, about 10-10:30pm and i really had to piss, like 5 min emergency. the train toilets were locked off since the 90s & i didnt feel right about pissing on the floor so i went up to the engine and asked the guy if he could hold up for a minute so i could step out and take a leak. he was like "no way im stopping, im going home after. you can step out and watch me leave or piss out the door" so alright, i slid open a door and held it with my shoulder while i drunkenly pissed out into the forest at 50 mph. cold air and sleet made me feel sober for a minute but i absolutely wasnt. for some reason i did not fall out the train & get cut in half by a tree, so i got back to the engine & thanked the man. ten minutes later we were at our destination, fresh and energized except the friend who invited me had gone to bed

lmao

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Carthag Tuek posted:

the last train to a new years eve party, about 10-10:30pm

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,