Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Unless you're a dev in Australia or something where you can't get one without coughing up a markup on ebay or similar because Gabe is still mad about the whole "refund" thing

Yes that’s definitely what it is lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Bitter fights between the anime hating department and the Australia making GBS threads group over at Valve HQ.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Det_no posted:

Bitter fights between the anime hating department and the Australia making GBS threads group over at Valve HQ.

There's probably a lot of crossover

Good thing there's no australian anime!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Good thing there's no australian anime!

Rocko's Modern Life!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

oh was that a manga only one lmao

Jerusalem posted:

Rocko's Modern Life!

Rocko is an ex-pat!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Something's not quite right

:thunk:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Looks like someone hit their EC2 cap

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dang, time to check Postal 2 I guess??

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Mescal posted:

Hey, the telepath tactics dev is listening and going to add Deck support (and hopefully improve peripheral use generally.) He replied to my review and posted this on his forum

Like i said, valve needs to give devs steam decks. it would pay itself off a hundredfold.

Good for them and you, I hope the $$$ works out for them with Deck support.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
If you havent played lunacid, do so. The idea that someone would make a King's Field-a-like game....

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

repiv posted:

And that folder is in Program Files by default, which apps aren't allowed to write to anymore without an admin prompt, so Steam installs a system service which allows it to backdoor around Windows permissions and pretend it's still running on XP forever

It's some pretty gross technical debt

It's just an ACL, not a service.

Anyway, if it's any consolation, Steam on Linux works correctly with proper separation between user profiles.

But not on the N-Gabe, because there everyone shares a Linux user account. :v:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Flavahbeast posted:

Something's not quite right

:thunk:

with a game of this apparent quality i can see why they're all rushing to play a 5 year old turn-based mmo

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Re: the multiple accounts thing, can Steam be installed in each Windows account's AppData folder instead of Program Files? Then use a common directory outside the Users folder for game installations?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

After getting my rear end handed to me in Ghost Song by the Ogre I'm gonna have to ask about something that's been bothering me: do I need a movement option to get through the green eye doors or is it something that I should be able to do at this point in game I have returned the first part and have the dash and double jump?

Also the elevator intrigues me, because of the, you know, weird whispering girl and the obvious crack on the right hand side, but since I cannot get through the green eye door, I cannot circle around the elevator to blast the cracked wall

Do give me a nod if I'm completely off with this and missing something obvious.

Otherwise I'm really enjoying the game, really feels like Metroid meets Hollow Knight with quest progression & NPC's borrowed from From software games. Very haunting atmosphere and soundscape. If only the backtracking after a fight would be a bit more lenient.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Use the rocket launchers on the green eye doors

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure I tried that before, but I guess I just missed the healthbar.

So it was a case of missing something obvious...

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I can't get my Xbox controller to be recognized in Ghost Song on Game Pass no matter what I do. If I enable Xbox controller support in Steam, I can navigate the menus but I can't attack. I've never had an issue with any other game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TeaJay posted:

I'm pretty sure I tried that before, but I guess I just missed the healthbar.

So it was a case of missing something obvious...

you need to empty their life bars before the eye retracts. there’s an ice-type weapon that’s great for it once you track it down

it’s not necessary for the elevator girl though. ride the elevator up and circle around to the bottom of the shaft using the upper tunnels. there’s a crack on the left-hand wall

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

am i crazy or did somebody just post "here's ONE WEIRD TRICK for how devs make steam saves/ steam cloud saves work properly?" what's the trick? i can't find it

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Volte posted:

I can't get my Xbox controller to be recognized in Ghost Song on Game Pass no matter what I do. If I enable Xbox controller support in Steam, I can navigate the menus but I can't attack. I've never had an issue with any other game.

Yeah, it's a known bug, the developer made a post acknowledging it. Supposedly it's already fixed on Steam, but not yet rolled out on Game pass. Apparently there's some sort of issue where the game only recognizes inputs from whatever device is number 1 in the list of game controllers in windows. A workaround might be unplugging any other devices that might be recognized as such, even stuff like bluetooth dongles.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mescal posted:

am i crazy or did somebody just post "here's ONE WEIRD TRICK for how devs make steam saves/ steam cloud saves work properly?" what's the trick? i can't find it

Anime Tiddies

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's a known bug, the developer made a post acknowledging it. Supposedly it's already fixed on Steam, but not yet rolled out on Game pass. Apparently there's some sort of issue where the game only recognizes inputs from whatever device is number 1 in the list of game controllers in windows. A workaround might be unplugging any other devices that might be recognized as such, even stuff like bluetooth dongles.
Huh, thanks. That is in fact the issue. I have a 3DConnexion Spacemouse for navigating 3D viewports (e.g., in Blender) and apparently the game is recognizing that as a game pad and I can navigate the menus with it. :doh:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've decided to give (the first) Bioshock another try, after bouncing off of it several times in the past. Apparently there's been a remaster since I last played. Anything I should know to make the experience more enjoyable?

e: I'm noticing that saving is taking a while, even though I have it installed on my SSD

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Phlegmish posted:

I've decided to give (the first) Bioshock another try, after bouncing off of it several times in the past. Apparently there's been a remaster since I last played. Anything I should know to make the experience more enjoyable?

e: I'm noticing that saving is taking a while, even though I have it installed on my SSD

Gameplay-wise, I don't recall any newbie traps or hidden gems. I personally wished I had used more spells, but that might have been a UI thing as I felt I used plenty in the sequel. Oh wait yea one thing, I tried playing the first few minutes like a survival horror that SS2's first level was, which was fruitless; it quickly shifts themes from spooky to action after the enemies show up, so don't try and sneak around forever.

I played Bioshock in 2015 and somehow didn't have the major plot twist spoiled for me, even though I'd heard the punchline said out of context. I felt the story held up ok, so go ham and enjoy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks! Yeah, I had the same thing in Bioshock: Infinite where I felt like I wasn't using my powers enough. I'm going to try to force myself to use them more in this one.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks! Yeah, I had the same thing in Bioshock: Infinite where I felt like I wasn't using my powers enough. I'm going to try to force myself to use them more in this one.

There's also some "phony hard choices" in the game. Just don't be a dick and you won't miss out on anything.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The thing that you should know is that the remaster is a crashy piece of poo poo.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, I made it to Steinman and killed him, but I must say that I'm struggling, despite playing on the normal difficulty. The game seems really stingy with health and (especially) ammo, I had to finish the boss fight with a wrench. I don't know if I'm missing something or just playing poorly.

No crashes so far, at least there's that.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Wrench is the most powerful weapon in Bioshock.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
There are plasmids for the wrench and they all stack and make it godly. Are you spending money? It's there to be spent. There's also a limit to how much your wallet can hold and you'll hit it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey can someone explain something for me. So I was playing some Jabroni Brawl: Episode 3 and some 18-23 year-olds were grousing that slightly younger zoomers had ruined GMod with Nextbot and Quandale and Jpeg walls, and if there's one thing I know about goons, it's that they're a bunch of 40+ year old men desperately trying to cling on to their youth by keeping up to date on internet bullshit, so do you have any idea what those guys on the server were talking about?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Phlegmish posted:

Well, I made it to Steinman and killed him, but I must say that I'm struggling, despite playing on the normal difficulty. The game seems really stingy with health and (especially) ammo, I had to finish the boss fight with a wrench. I don't know if I'm missing something or just playing poorly.

No crashes so far, at least there's that.

Steinman is a bit of a sponge and your arsenal is limited at that point, but otherwise ambush tactics and headshots will help a lot. Also I don't think the game completely spells it out but electrobolted enemies take a huge increase in damage from the next thing that hits them, which can be anything not just the wrench. Ammo types also matter a lot and their inventory caps are pathetically tiny so don't feel bad about using 'em as they come.

For health specifically, health stations can turn money directly into HP or be destroyed for a medkit. And there's no shame in hacking vending machines and buying medkits that way if needed. (Oh and ABH, always be hacking.) Otherwise, look around thoroughly, there's more loot stashed away than you can carry more often than not. Lots of clever stashes you need TK to grab.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 14, 2022

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Started playing this puzzle game that seems like it flew under most peoples' radar. probably going to be pretty derivative, not much more than a talos principle clone, but I'm giving it a chance.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Started playing this puzzle game that seems like it flew under most peoples' radar. probably going to be pretty derivative, not much more than a talos principle clone, but I'm giving it a chance.

Looks boring.

Pass.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Looks like an Obduction clone. Eh.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The new version looks dope, I have the older version

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ship physics look pretty jank

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ghostlight posted:

ship physics look pretty jank

Must be Ubisoft trash lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Tortokhod/status/1591906171077918721