Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They already have a Zarya nerf patch ready, they are just waiting for 2 weeks to deploy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

BabyRyoga posted:

Rumor is they are starting to ban people for smurfing now.

It's about time. Not sure how the gently caress they went through many years of OW1 with content creators regularly doing X to GM challenges on fresh accounts every month or two.

Good. That poo poo was obnoxious and ruined so many matches in 1 for me so nice to see them finally do something about it.

They obviously didn't in 1 because it was a bunch of sad people buying the game again and thus giving them tons more cash. Now those making a second account aren't going to buy skins etc or the BP on their smurf account so there's no reason for them to not crack down.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
2 am overwatch queue times are so weird for me, 8/2/1 right now. I'm gonna roll that dice and play the worst genji these tank mains have ever seen

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

There's a "come to me for healing" voiceline but Ana needs a voiceline that plays at 300% volume that's just her screaming PEEK ME FOR HEALS AND STOP FUCKNG JUMPING AROUND

I really hate how, as support, hitting the "fall back" voice command defaults to "come to me for healing!" There really needs to be a separate voice command for that as support.

No, game, I don't want to tell people to come to me for healing; I want to tell them not to loving spawn camp and to move back behind a choke point or another defensive position before we all get inevitably team wiped. :cripes:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I really hate how, as support, hitting the "fall back" voice command defaults to "come to me for healing!" There really needs to be a separate voice command for that as support.

No, game, I don't want to tell people to come to me for healing; I want to tell them not to loving spawn camp and to move back behind a choke point or another defensive position before we all get inevitably team wiped. :cripes:

The point of the "I need healing" or "come to me for healing" voicelines aren't actually the voicelines themselves; they are pings. I don't think post people realize this.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

BabyRyoga posted:

The point of the "I need healing" or "come to me for healing" voicelines aren't actually the voicelines themselves; they are pings. I don't think post people realize this.

That just makes it worse. Iirc Apex pings were extremely relevant to what you're pinging. If I ping "group up" I don't want my hero to say "I'm on my way" I don't know why the pings shout things that are the opposite of what it says.

I guess I could just say it on mic, but then why have the pings?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BabyRyoga posted:

Yes, and? If I'm pinging for people to fall back, I should expect to hear "fall back". People are way more likely to respond to what they hear rather than what they see wrt pings. I want consistency in what I'm pinging for, this shouldn't be difficult to understand.

In other news:

https://youtu.be/YPkvfoims04

Glad I'm not the only one dealing with semi-consistent one-sided stompfests.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

In other news:

During the biggest losing streak I had trying to move up in plat on my support queue, a lot of those losses were one-sided stomps. On the other side of things, I queued tank comp and went 6-1 before ending up 7-6.

The best of those tank matches was also a pretty one-sided stomp in my favor:

(I was Zarya the majority of this match and only swapped to JQ at the end to contest cart faster and secure the W)

But yeah... a lot of the losses in that same tank queue session really felt hopeless lol. Think I was having much higher quality/closer games in low-mid gold lobbies. High gold/low plat and mid plat/low diamond lobbies have felt like a crapshoot. It's either my team stomps or I'm getting stompped.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 13, 2022

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Every time I rank “up” to B5 it’s a point of ironic pride at this point. I don’t suck, the game is obviously broken. If I ever get promoted to B4 I’ll finally realize it was me all along.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

coronary quips posted:

nothing like having two teams full of mentally ill smartphone-era internet users call me a "white man," "gay," "redditor," "grandpa," and all sorts of other gibberish simply because i explained to them that people used to use the english language to communicate on the internet instead of mindlessly regurgitating memetic neologistic rhetoric. stomp on the enemy team several games in a row as pharah, then i end up with these toddlers and somehow i DIED 15 TIMES!!!! LOL 15 DEATH PHARAH!!!!! (ignore the fact they were never healing me and it's their fault, clearly it's my fault because that explanation releases a surge of dopamine into their brain as they type iamverysmart into the chat for the 497th time this week). LOL THE REDDITING PHARAH!!!!!!! nah, these are just things they said, because these are the brilliant internet geniuses of 2022, and what do i know, i'm just "grandpa" because i acknowledge the superiority of utilizing an extant, well-established lexicon to articulate and convey semantic structures.

maybe letting every retard on earth have unfettered access to a global communications network wasn't a good idea.

p.s. these are the same people who report me and have me banned by an automated system that never has a human being review the fact that i'm being abused by actual children.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this post was typed while standing idle in spawn

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Yes, and? If I'm pinging for people to fall back, I should expect to hear "fall back". People are way more likely to respond to what they hear rather than what they see wrt pings. I want consistency in what I'm pinging for, this shouldn't be difficult to understand.

In other news:

lol @ how often he'll be next to his tank but when his tank pushes in he just doesn't follow and then you see his tank hitting 'need heals' at low health for like 30 minutes while he moira tickles a widow. oh wow it goes on like this

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 13, 2022

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I have been spending way too much time in custom games learning how to move and super jump around as Doomfist. Just waiting for the right moment to take him into quick play and get yelled at by my teammates.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Yeah, it's getting to be pretty not fun for a new player like me. The learning curve seems pretty vertical when you don't have a dedicated group to play with. I don't understand how people are playing silver and gold let alone anything higher.

How are those tiers not just everyone head-shotting each other instantly? Seeing whole teams of players go 42-3 etc. in sub- bronze tier pretty disheartening.

Is there a way to rank out of playing with these people? Do I just have to :bang: until I catch on? When I first started pre-comp, it felt like I was getting better, but once I got my first rank 5 bronze, I immediately lost it and haven't gotten it back since. I even completed the battle pass in a few weeks! :yayclod:

The community is pretty toxic to boot. I never get on mic because I don't want to be tempted to argue with a 20 year old on my own team. I don't want to give up on the game, but it isn't encouraging me not to. I'm just holding out hope that they do something about the match making.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Even in OW1 bronze was a special place of people who were way too good for it, but never ranked out. Only guesses to why those players existed is that they enjoyed stomping noobs and throwing, or were such self-centered players that they'd win the battle and top the leader board, but lose the war (match) because 1v6 is a bit much.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Yeah, it's getting to be pretty not fun for a new player like me. The learning curve seems pretty vertical when you don't have a dedicated group to play with. I don't understand how people are playing silver and gold let alone anything higher.

Just focus on improving your own gameplay. You can't change the 11 9 other idiots in the game, but you can change yourself.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just accept that everyone around you sucks rear end and you cannot affect the outcome. It's about spinning the wheels until you die.

Just like real life.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TIL that Moira has higher dps if she just spams melee attack instead of using her right click.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

TIL that Moira has higher dps if she just spams melee attack instead of using her right click.

Yeah, but you don't self-heal.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Just found out that Blizzard deliberately broke the API that all the stats tracker sites used so the only way to see anything is the utterly limp stuff implemented in-game. They *really* don't want people getting a calibrated idea of their own, team mates or opponents skill levels.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SadisTech posted:

Just found out that Blizzard deliberately broke the API that all the stats tracker sites used so the only way to see anything is the utterly limp stuff implemented in-game. They *really* don't want people getting a calibrated idea of their own, team mates or opponents skill levels.

It's because they made matchmaking poo poo to fix dps queues and they don't want people to realize that.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

yah theyre nice fun things to look at but equivalent to tracking your queen's kdr in chess

blizz made profiles private b/c the #1 userbase use case was to yell at their teammates lol

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So they're matching DPS across a higher skill range?

Hmn, actually not sure how to feel about Blizzard reinventing the Valve server from TF2..

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

How are those tiers not just everyone head-shotting each other instantly?

It would be, if the games revolved around everyone being dumped into an empty cube to deathmatch. They don't instantly headshot each other because they're using cover to prevent that, pressure to make it more difficult and about a dozen other things that don't occur to you until they do. And once one of those things occur to you, you usually go up a division.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
They used to have moderately strict matchmaking (despite what people complained about) and extremely long queue times. Then on launch of OW2 they suddenly had extremely quick queue times... and no way to tell how strict the matchmaking was. The quantity of players at launch likely made things quicker while also allowing them to have tighter matchmaking. Now that average users is down a bunch to still get quick matches you have to have really loose matchmaking rules and depending on just how quick you want the matches to form, you might need almost no rules after, say, a couple of minutes of queue time. I'd speculate that this is 95% of the reason people are experiencing wide swings of player skill.

Other 5% is probably some combination of supposed changes to smurfing and/or more or less boosting going on.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Jack B Nimble posted:

So they're matching DPS across a higher skill range?

Hmn, actually not sure how to feel about Blizzard reinventing the Valve server from TF2..

This would make sense. I got matched with a pair of literally new DPS players and got given poo poo for not switching from zen despite out-healing our kiriko and out kill/damaging the entire rest of our team :smugdon:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

How are those tiers not just everyone head-shotting each other instantly? Seeing whole teams of players go 42-3 etc. in sub- bronze tier pretty disheartening.

Is there a way to rank out of playing with these people? Do I just have to :bang: until I catch on? When I first started pre-comp, it felt like I was getting better, but once I got my first rank 5 bronze, I immediately lost it and haven't gotten it back since. I even completed the battle pass in a few weeks! :yayclod:

The community is pretty toxic to boot. I never get on mic because I don't want to be tempted to argue with a 20 year old on my own team. I don't want to give up on the game, but it isn't encouraging me not to. I'm just holding out hope that they do something about the match making.

This is the biggest fundamental problem with the game.

Yes, if you practice you will get better. Yes, if you get better and grind out games you will climb. The issue is that you have to be patient, even when you deserve to climb. The biggest ways most players (who don't have insane aim and will frag the gently caress out) actually improve are all very incremental: learning common mistakes, and leaning to play around the fundamentals like grouping, taking fights as a team, using cover, target prioritization, proper CD management, etc. Even if you do all of these things, the other morons on your team are going to cause lost fights, and unwinnable games. The matchmaking is going to put you into games with teams full of losers, and against teams that are full of losers.

It essentially goes both ways, the patience is sitting through the unwinnable games while not getting so tilted that you throw the close games where your individual play will carry.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
if you think you're significantly better than the people you're regularly getting matched with I have bad news. If you're significantly better than the people in your lobbies you will climb rapidly

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Herstory Begins Now posted:

if you think you're significantly better than the people you're regularly getting matched with I have bad news. If you're significantly better than the people in your lobbies you will climb rapidly

If you are like a Diamond 4/5 player in a lobby with Silver 1 players, Yeah, you'll probably get to Platinum at least pretty easily. I think the expectation a lot of people have in that scenario is to go like 10 wins to 1 loss when in reality it's probably more likely you'll go 2 or 3 wins to 1 loss again and again, even at the lower ranks. Then you'll get to a point in Plat 3 where you start going like 5 wins to 3 or 4 losses. Some of those losses are just complete wastes of time, and the tilt factor can be high. If you get 2 or 3 games in a row where you just happen to be on a completely deficient team, it REALLY sucks.

Even GM players who do a run from Silver or Gold to GM usually lose a bunch of games at all ranks on the way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Well yeah it’s a team game and not one where you can generally solo carry too hard

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

yah 66% is a tremendous win rate and carry potential. literally 2 wins for every loss in a 10-man game.

yet people will tilt off the face of the planet over those 1/3rd of games that are losses lmao

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

comedyblissoption posted:

yah 66% is a tremendous win rate and carry potential. literally 2 wins for every loss in a 10-man game.

yet people will tilt off the face of the planet over those 1/3rd of games that are losses lmao

I think it's more when 1/3rd of those games come several times in a row that the tilting happens. Something like W-W-L-W-W-L-W-L-W-W is always going to feel pretty good compared to something like W-L-W-W-W-L-L-L-W-W-W etc which is usually going to feel frustrating

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I don't understand the logical leap people make to get this wrong.

If you are in a game with match making, you are going to be matched against people that can beat you. It's not a "forced grind to gm", it's not a conspiracy, they aren't forcing you to lose half your games by putting you on a team with potatoes. It is such a simple concept.

I also think people overestimate how much a problem "stomps" are. A game can seem like a stomp just because the enemy genji has a few tricks for this one map, or if your tank has to poo poo really bad and is distracted, or if you have 2 one-tricks that don't synergize very well. Things can get pretty lopsided without smurfs, especially at the middle ranks. People have abilities that make them much better at some maps than others.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That would be the case if the matchmaking was working correctly.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Jack Trades posted:

That would be the case if the matchmaking was working correctly.

Nah. You're on the ELO you deserve to be in.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

They used to have moderately strict matchmaking (despite what people complained about) and extremely long queue times. Then on launch of OW2 they suddenly had extremely quick queue times... and no way to tell how strict the matchmaking was. The quantity of players at launch likely made things quicker while also allowing them to have tighter matchmaking. Now that average users is down a bunch to still get quick matches you have to have really loose matchmaking rules and depending on just how quick you want the matches to form, you might need almost no rules after, say, a couple of minutes of queue time. I'd speculate that this is 95% of the reason people are experiencing wide swings of player skill.

I'm pretty certain that current queue woes are because of role mismatch. DPS (and Tank usually) players have to wait, while Supports get fast queues any time of the day and you get Open queue matches fast too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Issaries posted:

Nah. You're on the ELO you deserve to be in.

Yes? But what does the ELO number matter if the game isn't using it?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

headcase posted:

I also think people overestimate how much a problem "stomps" are. A game can seem like a stomp just because the enemy genji has a few tricks for this one map, or if your tank has to poo poo really bad and is distracted, or if you have 2 one-tricks that don't synergize very well. Things can get pretty lopsided without smurfs, especially at the middle ranks. People have abilities that make them much better at some maps than others.
well, overwatch is also really snowbally, especially king of the hill maps

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It's not that you lose games, it's how loving swingy it feels. It's one thing to have a close game that you lose and think "man if I had have just managed my cooldowns better/had better positioning we might have swung that", and quite another to get steamrolled into the dirt. And then the game flips around and you can play like an idiot but matchmaking has put you against a team of people who don't seem to have bound M1 to anything, and that's not a great way to improve either!

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Lol at the people defending a broken matchmaking system like those complaining have never played video games with actual good working matchmaking.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

Lol at the people defending a broken matchmaking system like those complaining have never played video games with actual good working matchmaking.

Or even played the same loving game but before they hosed up the matchmaker and then tried their best to hide the fact that they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

Or even played the same loving game but before they hosed up the matchmaker and then tried their best to hide the fact that they did.

Not sure what you are talking about here, the MM has always been hosed up in OW. The problem has just propelled itself out of control in OW2 because of a few things:

5v5 is different than 6v6
old players who haven't played since the game was fundamentally different are playing again
new players are playing

so it's way more fucky than usual. Also, they did do that change where they wanted people to rank lower than they otherwise would, which had a pre-patch and post patch version. That is the one thing that changed.