Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

mind the walrus posted:

Hey I like your stuff, genuine fan, but white people rock hasn't been popular nor relevant for nearly a quarter of a century now. Take comfort in the few pockets left, like survivors of the apocalypse waiting out winter.

I'm fine with it not being relevant or popular but Offspring isn't a punk band. If your social commentary is "pretty fly for a white guy", you're a pop band.
PS: At least one or two of them went to Princeton University

E: Like, go back and listen to "Come out and Play" and try not to cringe a little.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Nov 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/ecto_fun/status/1591225087788621824?s=46&t=r8pfWJbSBA8Zsg5GD0A4lg

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Frank Frank posted:

I'm fine with it not being relevant or popular but Offspring isn't a punk band.

lmao yes they are

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Mister Speaker posted:

lmao yes they are

lmao no they aren't. Go listen to their early stuff off of their self-titled album or Ignition. It's all whiny teen angst "girl doesn't like me" bullshit and the closest they got to being political was on Smash which turned out to be a bunch of rich white kids lecturing their top 40 audience on street gangs and why they're bad. Ixnay on the Hombre was better but still not punk. Hell, Green Day did a better job of carrying that torch. "We sound like Bad Religion" does not make them a punk band.

E: Yes, I am old.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Nov 13, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Frank Frank posted:

lmao no they aren't. Go listen to their early stuff off of their self-titled album or Ignition. It's all whiny teen angst "girl doesn't like me" bullshit

that's punk though

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Frank Frank posted:

I'm fine with it not being relevant or popular but Offspring isn't a punk band. If your social commentary is "pretty fly for a white guy", you're a pop band.
PS: At least one or two of them went to Princeton University

E: Like, go back and listen to "Come out and Play" and try not to cringe a little.

Oh no, not Princeton University. I guess at least none of them has a PhD from Cornell, how un-punk would that be?

Offspring absolutely started out punk, Smash is like punk paint by numbers.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Silly Newbie posted:

Oh no, not Princeton University. I guess at least none of them has a PhD from Cornell, how un-punk would that be?

Offspring absolutely started out punk, Smash is like punk paint by numbers.

Cute, but he did that long after Bad Religion was a thing. Also a grown man teaching a course in evolution to kids is kinda noble I guess? I'm assuming you're talking about Graffin here.

I kinda like that you love them though because I grew up on Smash, Dookie, Pretty Hate Machine etc and had to contrast that with the Clash, the Ramones and the Dead Kennedys and it taught me a lot about what I like and don't like. At any rate, I absolutely don't care what music you love so long as you love music. If Offspring speaks to you and makes you do good things in the world then goddamn, keep listening to Offspring. It's cool that people are still this passionate about music when there are so few things to be happy about anymore.

E: I don't hate the Offspring either. Both Dirty Magic and the Kids are Alright are somewhere in my driving playlist. Also the Dr. Zhivago song (can't remember the name ) which I would argue is in the spirit of punk rock.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 07:09 on Nov 13, 2022

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Ah the "no true punkband" fallacy

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

ranbo das posted:

Ah the "no true punkband" fallacy

poo poo gets so weird when you get old

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://youtu.be/BGrfhsxxmdE

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

https://twitter.com/World0fEcho/status/1591610186002595840

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Punk died with Reel Big Fish

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Punk died with Reel Big Fish

What's the difference between a ska band and a moose?

A moose has two horns in the front and an rear end in a top hat in the back.

Edit: content

https://twitter.com/ZeesterMeester/status/1591244392555483136?t=57dCB31YFsRt_Il12EjpyQ&s=19

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Frank Frank posted:

Cute, but he did that long after Bad Religion was a thing. Also a grown man teaching a course in evolution to kids is kinda noble I guess? I'm assuming you're talking about Graffin here.

I kinda like that you love them though because I grew up on Smash, Dookie, Pretty Hate Machine etc and had to contrast that with the Clash, the Ramones and the Dead Kennedys and it taught me a lot about what I like and don't like. At any rate, I absolutely don't care what music you love so long as you love music. If Offspring speaks to you and makes you do good things in the world then goddamn, keep listening to Offspring. It's cool that people are still this passionate about music when there are so few things to be happy about anymore.

E: I don't hate the Offspring either. Both Dirty Magic and the Kids are Alright are somewhere in my driving playlist. Also the Dr. Zhivago song (can't remember the name ) which I would argue is in the spirit of punk rock.

Dex Holland didn't get his PhD until 2017, which I think we can agree is after The Offspring was "a thing". Milo Aukerman has a PhD in molecular biology - the descendants are punk, right? And yeah, I was referring to Graffin.
We're probably the same age or so, I'm 40. I was a metalhead as a kid, and still am, and The Offspring was accessible punk the kinda bridged the gap and spoke to me. I didn't start getting into punk qua punk at all until like 2005 or so, when my new friend introduced me to punk and I introduced him to metal. It's been a journey, but part of the point of punk, to me, is that it's progressive and moves with the times. The Offspring, and even early Green Day, was just taking punk in a new direction.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Punk is a label no actual band has ever reached. It's a hypothetical state that could perhaps be achieved in a perfect setting, but not realistically. No band can actually, truly be punk.

Except for blink 182.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Frank Frank posted:

poo poo gets so weird when you get old

Just because you're old doesn't mean you have to be embarrassing

Son of Rodney posted:

Punk is a label no actual band has ever reached. It's a hypothetical state that could perhaps be achieved in a perfect setting, but not realistically. No band can actually, truly be punk.

Except for blink 182.

The only true punk band is the shaggs

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Milo and POTUS posted:

The only true punk band is the shaggs

no truer words have ever been spoken

also punk is a state of mind, not a genre of music

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I'm gonna have to go with the Fugs on this one. Only true punk, 1964.
https://youtu.be/kWz75MYteX0

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Frank Frank posted:

Cool edit. This you?

Ffs, the clash are not a punk band >:-(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

You're not punk, and I'm telling everyone

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Smash was a thrash album that was marketed as punk because no one knew what to do with it. If you skip the radio hits it’s still a fun listen.

If you disagree it’s simply because you’re not as good at listening to music as I am.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

The one true punk band is Racey

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I was gonna say GG Allin

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Daft Punk is the only punk band. It's right there in the name, they're punk, and Daft Punk wouldn't lie to us. What other criteria could there be?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I like the ethos of punk: "screw the rules and gently caress The Man! Anyone can make music!"

I mean, the consequence of that ethos is that it loving sucks poo poo to listen to, because nobody knows how to sing or play their instruments, but the heart is there.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cleretic posted:

Daft Punk is the only punk band. It's right there in the name, they're punk, and Daft Punk wouldn't lie to us. What other criteria could there be?
they wouldn't lie on purpose, but the name also says they're Daft, so how would they know

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

punks not dead

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

and The Chats are proof, HTH

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/RealSardonicus/status/1591725527244701696?s=20&t=YotRgt2vrRJ5-Wtr5aD4-A

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The Offsprings latest release is christmas songs, a bold direction for punk.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

The Offspring are definitely punk. For sure.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Frank Frank posted:

Nothing is more punk than a 50 year old man who has a driving playlist trying to gatekeep what punk is.

I was going to just join in the group dunk, but... When I myself was this much of an arse about it (when I was like 17 and this poo poo seemed important for some reason I'm not entirely clear on anymore) I at least was gatekeeping with some standards. (If you'd asked me then I'd have told you there are no american punk bands full stop) I'm curious as to your rationale that "pretty fly for a white guy" and "come out and play" mean the offspring arent punk, but that doesnt apply to ramones songs like "Blitzkreig bop" (central message: gigs are fun, and we really really want to write a catchy hook so we can have a hit) and "The Crusher" (central message "I dont want to be beaten up by a Russian professional wrestler"). Realistically, any genre will get fuzzy around the edges as very few decent musicians are only influenced by one style of music, and even if they are no genre stays still and unevolving for 40 years, subgenres will always develop. Ska punk is an evolution of two tone, which is what happens when people mix punk and reggae. Pop punk is a straight up evolution of punk with some more traditional rock elements, heavily influenced by the ramones and dead kennedys. gently caress, the prodigy described themselves as Electronic Punk, and though I personally think of them as rock influenced dance, I wouldnt argue the point.

Anyway, I got older and hopefully a little less of an arse and realised that a tunes a tune, and trying to gatekeep a genre is entirely pointless. Metal can have rap/hip hop elements, punk can have pop elements, pop will steal liberally from everything. And one artist or band can create in several different genres even within one album. There are precious few clean lines in genre anything (whether thats arguing if a band are pop-punk, punk, pop or rock, or debating whether star wars is science fiction or science fantasy) and there is value in having your preferred style being a big tent, otherwise you become the people angry enough that "old town road" topped the country charts that they change the rules specifically to exclude it.

Amoeba102 posted:

John Lydons latest release is being a tory prick, doesnt mean the sex pistols werent punk at some point.

And with my unasked for 2c given, and fully anticipating that it took me so long to type this that in the meantime a mod has ended the derail, some tweets.

https://twitter.com/EliotETC/status/1591707807451328512?s=20&t=ND_uUSVwt29HKM47YWbmHg

https://twitter.com/marthaabigail_/status/1591152475079290880?s=20&t=ND_uUSVwt29HKM47YWbmHg

https://twitter.com/SevaUT/status/1591211837147652096?s=20&t=ND_uUSVwt29HKM47YWbmHg

https://twitter.com/JosiahHawthorne/status/1591466653388349443?s=20&t=ND_uUSVwt29HKM47YWbmHg

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

The Offspring are definitely not punk. Who would even say that?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I agree, The Offspring are not punk. They're not like, for example, The Sex Pistols.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

The Offspring are definitely not punk. Who would even say that?

Almost everyone, including themself and also the music industry?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Amoeba102 posted:

Bad Religion did a christmas album a few years back

Anyway, this reminds me of being in high school, and wearing a dead kennedys shirt, and someone was like "what kind of band is that?" and I said punk and they replied. "Oh like green day or offspring!" and I groaned and rolled my eyes out of my head.

I've gotten better as I've gotten older. Looks like some of us have not.

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

PYF Tedious Music Nerds

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I didn’t know to be punk you had to hate Christmas extremely specific requirements there

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

https://youtu.be/dJoo7Tgjr8U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The Aquabats are the only true punk band.