Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Sywert of Thieves posted:

We have been using Scrum at work for a few years now, and it's been boiled down to "put not nearly enough work in the sprint every two weeks, and ignore Sywert putting that in the retrospective every single goddamn time".

I've given up and just started working on personal projects instead of twiddling my thumbs.

This is very much The Way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Very inspiring memo at work recently:

"Just a reminder that political contributions on behalf of the company need to be pre-approved by the political contribution committee. Also, if you expense a golf outing, you need to list all participants. Also, there have been concerns about recent changes to our travel policies, but we want to assure you that hiring a limousine is still permitted with prior approval."

I have no idea who this is for, but apparently somebody's job is to wine and dine government officials. And apparently we have an entire committee for this. You would think HR would have the sense to not send memos like this to the entire company, considering this only applies to a very select number of employees, none of whom exist in the same universe where our worksites are. I'm genuinely curious how much money this company is pissing away on bribes while our benefits get worse every year. Is there some agency that publishes reports on this, or is it all dark money?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Outrail posted:

Dumb poo poo your work does - Something Agile-ish

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Outrail posted:

Dumb poo poo your work does - Something Agile-ish

Something Agile this way comes.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I've given up and just started working on personal projects instead of twiddling my thumbs.

Pretty much everyone I work with is pursuing their personal pet projects as far as making our lives easier for the last 5 months we work in this plant. Might as well make some mods to already broken wave adapters to see if you can trick the broken wave machine into soldering some stuff nicely, that sorta thing. Especially with stuff connected to the wave machine, nobody is buying that thing and it is getting scrapped out almost 100% guaranteed so who gives a poo poo.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Buttchocks posted:

"Just a reminder that political contributions on behalf of the company need to be pre-approved by the political contribution committee. Also, if you expense a golf outing, you need to list all participants. Also, there have been concerns about recent changes to our travel policies, but we want to assure you that hiring a limousine is still permitted with prior approval."

I have no idea who this is for, but apparently somebody's job is to wine and dine government officials. And apparently we have an entire committee for this. You would think HR would have the sense to not send memos like this to the entire company, considering this only applies to a very select number of employees, none of whom exist in the same universe where our worksites are. I'm genuinely curious how much money this company is pissing away on bribes while our benefits get worse every year. Is there some agency that publishes reports on this, or is it all dark money?

My company has a Chief Lobbying Officer and they yearly send out a company wide email to brag about what they’ve accomplished, mainly bribing local officials to tax the company less.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Zil posted:

Something Agile this way comes.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Lol, one of the owners took a keg of our barrel-aged barleywine that isn't officially released yet, put it on tap, got piss drunk on it last night and bragged about being hung over on it this morning. Truly this industry has a healthy relationship with alcohol. :v:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

RocketMermaid posted:

Lol, one of the owners took a keg of our barrel-aged barleywine that isn't officially released yet, put it on tap, got piss drunk on it last night and bragged about being hung over on it this morning. Truly this industry has a healthy relationship with alcohol. :v:

Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Buttchocks posted:

I think there’s some sort of law in place to make lobbyist donations publicly accessible, but there’s likely all kinds of ways to hide that information. I really wish lobbying was not legal since it seems to be a way for the people who are supposed to serve the public to skip understanding what the gently caress the policies they are endorsing ACTUALLY do by just being wined and dined by a company salesman. I also don’t know why anti-kickback laws which set pretty low limits on contributions and monetary value of “gifts” don’t seem to apply. Gifts can be dinners, entertainment, favors.

See the US’ appalling healthcare system that is completely unsustainable for pretty much everyone in the US aside from billionaires who do not need insurance.

(There is just so much more wrong in this country, I’ve just decided that since I actually have a correct assessment on some of the awful healthcare administration companies that are loving people out of billions due to malicious incompetence-they just don’t give a poo poo about how much money they waste on incorrectly filing administrate tasks because people continue paying them to do so, this will be one of my little pet projects in my free time. A single payer system would have routed these lovely companies out almost immediately. But insurance companies continue lobbying for America’s current system of loving over all payers and not actually giving a poo poo about negative health outcomes.)

Bored fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 13, 2022

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Supposed to do a collaboration with one of our suppliers tomorrow but the malt and hops haven't arrived yet so uh... kind of unsure about what's happening. I call them so we'll see. I guess I should have contacted them on Friday about this.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

rockinricky posted:

One of the dumbest and silliest things I ever had to put up with in the workplace is something called the FISH! Philosophy. It's supposed to create happy individuals in the workplace. I worked at a call center where we did it. It didn't last very long, not even a year. I don't think it really works in call centers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish!_Philosophy

Anybody else ever have to deal with this?

This briefly showed up at work many years ago, and flopped hard when they tried to apply it a IT Help Desk. I think it caught on at a few other places in the company, but if you don't have a customer facing job, doesn't seem like it would matter much. People weren't calling because they wanted to be excited, they just wanted their password reset.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

One of the CEOs is now apparently making GBS threads out ideas for beers now. His big idea? A margherita pizza beer with tomato, basil, and wheat. Yeah. Cool. Non brewer owner ideas are always the worst.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Escape From Noise posted:

One of the CEOs is now apparently making GBS threads out ideas for beers now. His big idea? A margherita pizza beer with tomato, basil, and wheat. Yeah. Cool. Non brewer owner ideas are always the worst.

Just tell him that it already exists from several other places and that you want to be a leader, not a follower.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Just tell him that it already exists from several other places and that you want to be a leader, not a follower.

Yeah. I heard this through the restaurant manager and basically said the same thing. We'll see. He may just forget about it eventually. I barely ever interact with him.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Now, I'm just a humble beer drinker, but you know what I want my beer to taste like?

Beer.

That's why I'm ordering a beer and not a fruit smoothie or a pizza or chocolate milk.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tough poo poo, normie. We got a rack of 2000 flavouring options and we're trying all of them.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I don't mind doing ga ga shot sometimes. It can drive sales, but we need to have a better sales network set up. As it stands we have pretty much zero outside sales and our best sellers have been more traditional styles. Plus I think they get this idea that we just need to make it with one crazy beer and then we're set

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Just make a pineapple beer instead and see if he notices

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Salami Surgeon posted:

Pineapple ham pizza beer

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I had a pizza beer line 15 years ago that tasted like pizza

It was cool for about three sips then I just wanted something I could drink

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

I had a pizza beer line 15 years ago that tasted like pizza

It was cool for about three sips then I just wanted something I could drink

Yeah. That's generally the thing with those kinds of beers IME. Even if you like them you don't want more than one. So like make a limited run and be sure you have the sales network to sell it off fast. If it's interesting it could build hype, but it's not going to be welcome for too long. I'm worried if the big big boss wants it he'll have make it multiple times and try really pushing it. I had the same issue with the mix juice IPA. They had me keep making it despite slumping sales. I'm also a bit hesitant to do anything too crazy because we just don't have the sales network for that. We got one order this month that got cancelled because nobody responded to the email for three days despite multiple reminders from me in person and over chat.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I had a smoked beer once that tasted like ham. It was actually not enjoyable.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Smoked cheese or fish would have been preferable?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The owners emailed my boss that they’ve spontaneously decided to go camping and are not sure when they will be back. This comes as we ramp up to the busiest part of our year.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

goatface posted:

Smoked cheese or fish would have been preferable?

Possibly, yes.

Edit: it actually “tasted” salty which was very weird.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Salami Surgeon posted:

Not beer but one of the tastiest alcoholic drinks I ever had was pineapple wine.

It basically tasted like drinking a can of Dole pineapple juice, but then you got up to take a piss and the world spun on a different axis than normal.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've definitely had smoked beers that are closer to the cheese end than the ham. Never had one that made me think fish, so far.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Plus I think they get this idea that we just need to make it with one crazy beer and then we're set

I think the period of 2008-2015, where "prestige" special releases made breweries famous from beer nerds (and their grandmothers there to mule extra allocations) lining up multiple blocks for them, poisoned a lot of people's perception of how the industry works. A few breweries can make it on prestige beers, but it's a very limited number and the rest make it on the backs of consistent core beers and knowing their community. COVID pretty much killed this trend, thankfully, but it still lives rent-free in the minds of a lot of owners disconnected from the reality of how the industry actually works. You're not going to make the next Dark Lord, buddy, and even if you did that era has thankfully come and gone.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There's a craft brew pub here that often serves poo poo like "peach raspberry pecan pie caramel marshmallow beer topped with whipped cream and sprinkles." and you still have hipsters clambering over each other to pay $20 for a half pint of that undrinkable garbage.

Now I like a small glass of coffee and/or chocolate stout every now and then. But stop trying to cram the entire dessert table into the same cask.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The thing that kills me is that most of those flavors are doable with mixed drinks.

Want a fruit smoothy that will get you a buzz? It's called a daiquiri and it's pretty great, have one. Want something to taste like a latte or a desert pie and put whipped cream on it? Whisky and Irish cream would both like a word with you, and Kahlua is also on standby.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Agree in principle, but I'll defend to the death our local Stout that tastes like a Golden Gaytime.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Breetai posted:

Agree in principle, but I'll defend to the death our local Stout that tastes like a Golden Gaytime.

Don't get me wrong, I think these beers absolutely have their place, and I'm no stranger to putting weird poo poo in beer, it's just extremely rare and difficult to make "prestige beers" your bread and butter. And most of the places that get popular on novelty beer end up being flashes in the pan - you gotta build up some of that legacy and consistency before putting frozen pizzas and waffles into beer, unless you have an infinite amount of daddy's money to spend like Mikkeller and Evil Twin.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I go to a lot of tasting rooms to play in pinball tournaments and man am I sick of watery $8 beers

the one yesterday had five ipas on the menu and they all tasted exactly the same, and the same as the five other ipas at five other breweries

I don't just drink ipas but man. why's the shittiest beer on the menu always one

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

boar guy posted:

I go to a lot of tasting rooms to play in pinball tournaments and man am I sick of watery $8 beers

the one yesterday had five ipas on the menu and they all tasted exactly the same, and the same as the five other ipas at five other breweries

I don't just drink ipas but man. why's the shittiest beer on the menu always one

Every single grocery store in my area only sells American Piss Beer or IPAs. I just want a wheat beer that isn't Blue Moon or Shock Top.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Tetrabor posted:

Every single grocery store in my area only sells American Piss Beer or IPAs. I just want a wheat beer that isn't Blue Moon or Shock Top.

:smith::respek::smith:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

I think the period of 2008-2015, where "prestige" special releases made breweries famous from beer nerds (and their grandmothers there to mule extra allocations) lining up multiple blocks for them, poisoned a lot of people's perception of how the industry works. A few breweries can make it on prestige beers, but it's a very limited number and the rest make it on the backs of consistent core beers and knowing their community. COVID pretty much killed this trend, thankfully, but it still lives rent-free in the minds of a lot of owners disconnected from the reality of how the industry actually works. You're not going to make the next Dark Lord, buddy, and even if you did that era has thankfully come and gone.

Oh, absolutely. We're also in no way poised for those kinds of releases.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

How on gods flat earth does he think those flavours will even work in a beer? Maybe sweet basil in a hoppy ale, but even that seems like it’s pushing it.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Bargearse posted:

How on gods flat earth does he think those flavours will even work in a beer? Maybe sweet basil in a hoppy ale, but even that seems like it’s pushing it.

Most people who have Interesting Beer Ideas like this don't think that far ahead. Really, any brewery owner who's not a professional brewer themselves should ask:

a) Has this, in fact, been done before? (It usually has, and in this case it's been done at least a dozen times before)
b) Have I thought about whether this will work together, beyond it being An Interesting Idea?
c) If I haven't seen this before, might there be a good reason for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Tetrabor posted:

I would punch a child for a decent wheat beer. The beer cases at my grocery store are IPAs, cheap American lager, and a million hard seltzers.