Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

another joy from this: kevin o'leary lost a buncha money in FTX and is still coping.

https://twitter.com/Forkast_News/status/1590757376466255872

To be fair I'm with him, SBF is definitely one of the smartest people involved in crypto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
love how everyone just calls him SBF

in my experience people who call themselves a single letter are loving dipshits

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

NtotheTC posted:

To be fair I'm with him, SBF is definitely one of the smartest people involved in crypto

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

only Joe Bankman can save us now

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Alan Smithee posted:

love how everyone just calls him SBF

in my experience people who call themselves a single letter are loving dipshits

hmm that's like half of national democratic politicians, yep, checks out.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It boggles my mind that there isn’t a simple boring crypto exchange that charges a small percentage to store/retrieve your internet fun bux and nothing more.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1591822387267665921

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I love the CHUD telephone effect; everyone is constantly owned and in deep poo poo, so once one of them makes a totally sick own of a tweet they all start shrieking it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Waffle House posted:

I love the CHUD telephone effect; everyone is constantly owned and in deep poo poo, so once one of them makes a totally sick own of a tweet they all start shrieking it

as long as they continue sinking in quicksand I'm all for it

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Alan Smithee posted:

as long as they continue sinking in quicksand I'm all for it

Thinking back, I don't think they ever stopped, but the volume maybe kinda sorta attenuated a little bit

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

rekko posted:

As an F1 sponsor it is almost certain to happen. There's a Rich history of F1 sponsors being super shady or outright scams.

Can’t be outdone by Max "'standard' S-and-M prison scenario" Moseley”.

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

It boggles my mind that there isn’t a simple boring crypto exchange that charges a small percentage to store/retrieve your internet fun bux and nothing more.

Kinda hard to do that when your competitors are doing degenerative stuff with their made up internet funbucks and are giving 20% APY on deposits and have almost no trading fees.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

icecastle posted:

Kinda hard to do that when your competitors are doing degenerative stuff with their made up internet funbucks and are giving 20% APY on deposits and have almost no trading fees.

Seems like a drat fine idea right about now considering all the exchanges are collapsing. :smug:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

him trying to brand himself as somehow altruistic is beyond hilarious. even if he hadn't fled with the bag he wouldn't even remotely be doing it for anything but the money. It's like a bank robber that shot everyone in the bank then robbed it trying to claim it was for the kids.

Effective Altruism was created to justify working for big paychecks from the finance industry after their insatiable greed destroyed the economy, and their previous justifications for sucking all the money out of America (oh we're making the economy better and helping everyone by directing investment capital etc) no longer worked for obvious reasons.

It's a blank check to do whatever you want. If you're going to save all of humanity by becoming a trillionaire and using your fabulous wealth to solve all our problems, well anything you have to do along the way to get rich is inherently justified. What's a little fraud and theft along the way matter, even if a few people get hurt it's nothing compared to how many lives you'll save later.

Also you can tell yourself no one will get hurt. So you stole a few billion to prop up your other venture, you're a genius who's destined to save humanity, of course you won't lose the money you'll put it back before your depositors find out.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWfuDeO9thk

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

p sure kohl's cash has value

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

loving LOLOL

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

VitalSigns posted:

Effective Altruism was created to justify working for big paychecks from the finance industry after their insatiable greed destroyed the economy, and their previous justifications for sucking all the money out of America (oh we're making the economy better and helping everyone by directing investment capital etc) no longer worked for obvious reasons.

It's a blank check to do whatever you want. If you're going to save all of humanity by becoming a trillionaire and using your fabulous wealth to solve all our problems, well anything you have to do along the way to get rich is inherently justified. What's a little fraud and theft along the way matter, even if a few people get hurt it's nothing compared to how many lives you'll save later.

Also you can tell yourself no one will get hurt. So you stole a few billion to prop up your other venture, you're a genius who's destined to save humanity, of course you won't lose the money you'll put it back before your depositors find out.

Why is it that corporately proper nouning things ruins poo poo so bad.

My god, humans just go full smoothbrain and latch onto it like it's a political movement and voids/forgets the book definition out of shame

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lmao.

Bankman-Fried has supported Republicans during this cycle, primarily through his $2 million contribution to the blockchain and cryptocurrency-focused GMI super PAC. But the bulk of his giving, including $27 million to the Protect Our Future super PAC and $6 million to the House Majority super PAC, has gone to support Democrats. Bankman-Fried told Forbes last month that “much of this was for primaries, rather than D vs R general elections” ($33 million of his contributions were made during the first four months of 2022.)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/gainzy222/status/1590751188638527495?s=20&t=OcOUJzOOSAJI3sGMG_lpIA

https://twitter.com/gainzy222/status/1548098077461868545?s=20&t=OcOUJzOOSAJI3sGMG_lpIA

Don't let them see you cry

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

imagine being so sensitive that you have to send that to someone who's probably some dumb teenager.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

FlapYoJacks posted:

this is every exchange but they also charge you for other things!! Like if you go use coinbase.com to buy bitcoin and then want to buy some other thing with bitcoin, some of the transaction fees are just blockchain overhead nonsense, but coinbase.com is taking their cut, too.

Ability to "just pay from my own personal wallet" is also not really there if you're trying to buy traditional goods/services and not weird illegal poo poo, because of the cost and length of time it takes transactions to verify.

So yea, this exists but the "simple boring crypto exchanges" are all loving mazes of bullshit and grift, too.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

NtotheTC posted:

damning with faint praise

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Looks like the dominos are falling like a house of cards. Checkmate.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

The problem with crypto currency exchanges is they are also run by coiners, who are, with few exceptions, degenerate gamblers.

Coinbase doesnt appear to be stealing any customer funds (yet), they're just losing money the old fashioned way: they're a poorly run, highly cyclical business that invests in dumb things that dont pan out.

Tbh, the most legit bitcoin exchange I've seen is probably the forex kiosk at the mall that sells bitcoins alongside euros and pesos

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Would PayPal count? You can buy and sell Bitcoin there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Crypto exchanges can’t be boring because it’s market is exclusively to get rich quick types there is no other market

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarioNawfal/status/1591889756580872192?t=ceTfLd_oKsT2EB82duS3OA&s=19

Just a bunch of lmaos all around

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

what was that huge Whales transaction with several "billion" in btc a few days ago? we posted it itt

e: nm found them:

https://twitter.com/whale_alert/status/1587712163531063297

https://twitter.com/whale_alert/status/1587697816029339648

https://twitter.com/whale_alert/status/1587712161270403074

also:

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1591521868049440768

grand potential lol energy in the slight date differences depicted above

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 13, 2022

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
^^ that whale info thing is mostly...kinda unreliable tbh. I'd stick to cryptoquant, where people are literally dumping the everloving poo poo out of bitcoin as rats flee sinking ships. Massive, aggressive dumps lately.

[quote ="cryptoquant"]
CryptoQuant Alert, [11/13/2022 2:11 AM]
🐳 1,512.81 #BTC ($25,356,679)
aggregated inflows to #Bybit
CryptoQuant Alert, [11/13/2022 8:33 AM]
🚨 1,531.88 #BTC ($25,552,474)
aggregated inflows to #Coinbase Pro
CryptoQuant Alert, [11/13/2022 10:01 AM]
🐳 1,511.91 #BTC ($25,054,438)
aggregated inflows to #Bybit
CryptoQuant Alert, [11/13/2022 10:15 AM]
🐳 1,502.20 #BTC ($24,898,679)
aggregated inflows to #Huobi Global
[/quote]

Oy, today I got another one of those "Bitcoin has secret uses/is used by the government" that cites the 1996 bitcoin articles or some poo poo. W T F .

How much do people believe in this poo poo? Unreal.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 13, 2022

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

erosion posted:

damning with faint praise

:thejoke:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Are these people dancing in a McDonald's

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

Yeah in Europe this is very normal

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Unperson_47 posted:

Nah, McDonald's delivers now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

There was. It’s name was Mt. Gox

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1591842546715500544

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Unperson_47 posted:

Sounds like somebody isn't familiar with Wesley Willis's oeuvre.