Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

a strange fowl posted:

that book does a great job linking the stories to evidence of geological events. that level of respect and validation of indigenous knowledge was and is groundbreaking for a western author, unfortunately. at the same time it's a frustrating read, because he also keeps saying that humans originated in africa and migrated to australia via asia, and drawing conclusions about the maximum age of the stories from that assumption. many of these same traditions state clearly that the people didn't come from anywhere else, they evolved into humans exactly where they are. their histories go back way further than twelve thousand years, it's just that white scientists won't accept that because it would disrupt the single origin theory of human evolution.

which, in turn, comes from a flawed interpretation of the book of genesis. the text states that humans were created all over the world, presumably each in their own gardens, and then adam was made out of dust in the levant. but the assumption that every single human in the world is descended from a single pair in a single geographical location permeates science completely. it's frustrating to see how the single origin theory holds back the work of researchers like nunn.

i was under the impression the "multiple origins of humans" theory was a discredited continuation of earlier racist pseudoscience and the general consensus is that humans started coming out of africa like 100,000 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

you are all shameful and will blow away in the wind like so much dust

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
[Biosphere Collapse]

FlapYoJacks posted:

What’s the big dead?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

a strange fowl posted:

none of you deserve it!

I like your posts strange fowl, but it probably is a little off topic for the biosphere thread and most posters probably (rightly!) have a bad taste in the mouth of theological adjacent stuff and would fairly group it in with aliens and general woo. If the UFO thread won't have you, make a new thread for religion/mysticism/transcendentalism. Personally I'd just use it to shitpost curses upon the great Satan, the wolf in sheep's clothing, godforsaken America, but there're are actually good and thoughtful posters who likely have things of value to contribute along the lines of theology/philosophy of religion/critical scriptural analysis.

Also it should have mandatory witchcraft

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Witchcraft thread already proved that jobs was not an alchemist, it is very philosophically advanced

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

cop27 is going to be an amazing source of media to torture this thread with

lol

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

a strange fowl posted:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Resignation is such a freeing feeling. It's also much easier than protesting or going vegan or some poo poo.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

a strange fowl posted:

/

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

a strange fowl posted:

thread title

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

a strange fowl posted:

not me though

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I personally vote to cover the uk in a 100 meter thick ice sheet

https://twitter.com/MikeHudema/status/1591782722988548100?t=DHuQJ_7Gcac6q1w8qrE2xw&s=19

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

a strange fowl posted:

that's a nice thought

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

so i looked into this a bit, and apparently its a bit better than i initially thought.
carbonplan (a pretty realistically pessimistic group) gives them a 4/5 rating
https://carbonplan.org/research/cdr-database/project?id=MSFT143
thanks for sharing that resource; perhaps in a better world...

FFT posted:

it's the egyptian story of troy, imo he figured it out and that's why he never finished it
could you clarify what you mean by 'egyptian story of troy'? I'm having trouble finding anything that seems relevant when I search for it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

a strange fowl posted:

new thread title

kater
Nov 16, 2010

take_it_slow posted:

I'm having trouble finding anything that seems relevant when I search for it

another thread title option

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Just a Moron posted:

I like your posts strange fowl, but it probably is a little off topic for the biosphere thread and most posters probably (rightly!) have a bad taste in the mouth of theological adjacent stuff and would fairly group it in with aliens and general woo. If the UFO thread won't have you, make a new thread for religion/mysticism/transcendentalism. Personally I'd just use it to shitpost curses upon the great Satan, the wolf in sheep's clothing, godforsaken America, but there're are actually good and thoughtful posters who likely have things of value to contribute along the lines of theology/philosophy of religion/critical scriptural analysis.

Also it should have mandatory witchcraft

I would tend to agree except back in the days when I was still thinking we could solve climate change religion seemed like it might be a useful tool. Ultimately belief drives most humans and belief based on someone else's rational thought isn't that much different than belief based on someone else's anorexia-induced desert hallucinations. Most of us are not going to puzzle through these things on our own and will take the first shortcut we see.

I'd like to add mandatory hallucinatory mushrooms/sex cult with thinly veiled mushroom/penis iconography. It is good that we can now gently caress like bunnies without making more kids and sex being a pain in the arse like it was with the Cathars, although maybe that was just Catholic propaganda.

Also, I see what I did there in the first paragraph. Someone post "The wise man bowed his head and said..." thing.

Hooo boy does that have some interesting implications.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
my body is a vessel

a vessel for virus-laden microplastics

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You're welcome to have my virus laden micropenis any time :grin:

e: n/m, misread

Microplastics has issued a correction as of 18:34 on Nov 13, 2022

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

we really have made quite a hell

it's breathtaking

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust but more accurate

"From toxic soup you were made, and to it you shall return"

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Car Hater posted:

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust but more accurate

"From toxic soup you were made, and to it you shall return"

Difference being we didn't make the dust we're returning to

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

well i’m sure any old tiny bit of crap will be dragged along by a nano plastic,
which means that soon enough we’ll all have mad cow disease just from drinking the water

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Microplastics posted:

You're welcome to have my virus laden micropenis any time :grin:

e: n/m, misread

:heysexy:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jel Shaker posted:

well i’m sure any old tiny bit of crap will be dragged along by a nano plastic,
which means that soon enough we’ll all have mad cow disease just from drinking the water

Don't drink the water and don't breathe the air

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Confusedslight posted:

Resignation is such a freeing feeling. It's also much easier than protesting or going vegan or some poo poo.

A colleague of mine proudly told us how she bought a plastic Christmas tree as a way to reduce her climate impact. I asked whether she was going to start taking the bicycle to work. Unfortunately, no.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Struensee posted:

A colleague of mine proudly told us how she bought a plastic Christmas tree as a way to reduce her climate impact. I asked whether she was going to start taking the bicycle to work. Unfortunately, no.

That rules because if you never take the dead Christmas tree out of your house it’s actually sequestering carbon. Buying a new Christmas tree every year until your house looks like Vancouver island (filled with dead trees) is praxis.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Hexigrammus posted:

I would tend to agree except back in the days when I was still thinking we could solve climate change religion seemed like it might be a useful tool. Ultimately belief drives most humans and belief based on someone else's rational thought isn't that much different than belief based on someone else's anorexia-induced desert hallucinations. Most of us are not going to puzzle through these things on our own and will take the first shortcut we see.

I'd like to add mandatory hallucinatory mushrooms/sex cult with thinly veiled mushroom/penis iconography. It is good that we can now gently caress like bunnies without making more kids and sex being a pain in the arse like it was with the Cathars, although maybe that was just Catholic propaganda.

Also, I see what I did there in the first paragraph. Someone post "The wise man bowed his head and said..." thing.

Hooo boy does that have some interesting implications.

Hell yeah, give me that magic mushroom penis iconography

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Struensee posted:

i just brought a plastic tree into my apartment for the first time. it’s gross but apparently necessary for the season and it fits in our narrow space. it’s disappointing to see.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

i hate christmas

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Raine posted:

i hate christmas

they have consumer Christmas stuff like trees, lights, Santa, songs, presents bundled into new years in Turkey. i think it’s kinda fun :)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
more like christmass extinction event

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

christmas is evil. it's an evil, calculated, murderous festival. i've done retail

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

buy some garbage for people and get drunk like everyone else theres no award for humbuggin it

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Real hurthling! posted:

buy some garbage for people and get drunk like everyone else theres no award for humbuggin it
no. don't. don't buy some garbage for people. that is the problem

the most horrifying thing about christmas retail was how much plastic went through my hands. i eventually started adding up in my head the combined weight of every action figure, tree ornament, dvd case, lego piece and plastic container that went past my checkout and realised the store was vomiting literal tonnes of plastic into the city every single day and almost every single piece of it was completely useless and would never bring anybody any joy

a strange fowl has issued a correction as of 23:49 on Nov 13, 2022

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

make them something with your own two hands, it will mean more :unsmith:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

one day an old lady bought a simple tree ornament that said "joy". she said "i'm getting this so it feels like my daughter's at christmas. her name is joy. i hoped she was going to bring me joy." and i asked if she did and she said "no, she hasn't spoken to me for twenty years"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

a strange fowl posted:

[Biosphere Collapse] no. don't. don't buy some garbage. that is the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

this christmas, get your loved ones the greatest gift: a nice dinner and money so they can buy what they actually want