Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jack Trades posted:

Or even played the same loving game but before they hosed up the matchmaker and then tried their best to hide the fact that they did.

You have zero evidence for any of the nonsense your spill beyond your petty rage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

idk if the matchmaker was hosed, but the ratings were definitely hosed according to blizzard themselves initially

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Yeah. There's long climb for some of us.

My Support is still underleveled, because I mained them at the start.
My DPS leapfrogged past them after the rank fix. And I was almost full rank lower with them in OW1.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

BabyRyoga posted:

Not sure what you are talking about here, the MM has always been hosed up in OW. The problem has just propelled itself out of control in OW2 because of a few things:

5v5 is different than 6v6
old players who haven't played since the game was fundamentally different are playing again
new players are playing

so it's way more fucky than usual. Also, they did do that change where they wanted people to rank lower than they otherwise would, which had a pre-patch and post patch version. That is the one thing that changed.

Tru. It will eventually settle down. I've had plenty of 'All Aim no Brain' new players lately. They'll eventually learn and climb past me or eventually quit.

Gorgeous Mohammad
Oct 15, 2009
I've been stuck going up and down in gold which is probably appropriate but matchmaking is incredibly frustrating. I go from intense matches to total clown shows. Matches where I'm the best player to matches where I'm by far the worst. I don't even care about ranking up anymore I just want some consistency.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

idk if the matchmaker was hosed, but the ratings were definitely hosed according to blizzard themselves initially

Yup, and they gave a boost to those affected and fixed it according to the same post.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Bottom Liner posted:

Yup, and they gave a boost to those affected and fixed it according to the same post.

That only included unsettled rankings without too many games under their belts. My less played roles upranked fast, but support had 21 wins under the belt and didn't get the easy boost.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'm mostly high gold/low plat in all 3 now exactly where I was in OW1, bad teammates suck but I feel the biggest thing keeping me from going higher is my own inconsistency. Some games I just play like total rear end, I feel that is one of the big things about the pros is they practice and focus to be more even in their play.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Some people were mentioning stomps being prevalent lately and today I was involved in a match where we did the stomping and I had 18 kills no deaths and the other team managed 8 combined total kills, then another two where the same situation except, my team, was the one, that did not break 8 elims. Including an absolutely brutal round where we all had zero elims.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zarya is the worst in gold as another tank. The DPS never want to help kill her, one actually refused when asked "because that's how she does more damage" while he was popping bubbles on other characters giving her 100% anyway.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Rick posted:

Some people were mentioning stomps being prevalent lately and today I was involved in a match where we did the stomping and I had 18 kills no deaths and the other team managed 8 combined total kills, then another two where the same situation except, my team, was the one, that did not break 8 elims. Including an absolutely brutal round where we all had zero elims.

Yea this happens so much now and the fact people think the matchmaking is working as intended is a joke.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Did you folks play OW1? Getting held in spawn or doing it to the other team as they cycled back fillers was way more common in QP there.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I'm guessing the All Roles god has decided to ruin whatever bit you're trying to do

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I dont really notice more stomps in qp in ow2 and it might be completely perception bias based because im deeply suspicious of visible mmr being removed but it does seem a little worse in comp than it used to be

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I am definitely noticing a lot more stomps and I think it's because of the tank changes. The tank role is now one super powered char and that one team members performance makes such a big deal that any skill disparity between the tanks is now magnified.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

So a single player has a such a massive impact on the game because of how powerfulmt their character is and if he sucks and or blows their equivalent out of the water it's going to have a much bigger impact on team balance.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bottom Liner posted:

Did you folks play OW1? Getting held in spawn or doing it to the other team as they cycled back fillers was way more common in QP there.

I did but it feels even moreso. Like we were definitely getting out of the spawn but they were just picking us off in the wild without us picking them off.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

So a single player has a such a massive impact on the game because of how powerfulmt their character is and if he sucks and or blows their equivalent out of the water it's going to have a much bigger impact on team balance.

I honestly think it's more a variance in DPS skill level. Just had a Bastion who had 0 kills, 15 deaths. Every fight he would walk out in front of the enemy team, transform and die. Then said right at the end, "wat does my ult do"

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I have to say that I'm almost leaning towards removing the scoreboard again as a design feature. It's just raw numbers that can be totally misleading to people who don't know what the hell they're looking at in a game of moving parts like this. Like you can have a match where both healers are just dumping everything they have into a Roadhog who is just standing in front of the enemy team and eating damage and not hitting hooks and spamming chip damage everywhere without getting meaningful kills. So the DPS just get the poo poo owned out of them and can't put up numbers. "DPS diff"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
They should keep the deaths though and have a little number in parentheses that indicates how many times you died because you didn't group up

imo

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SadisTech posted:

I have to say that I'm almost leaning towards removing the scoreboard again as a design feature. It's just raw numbers that can be totally misleading to people who don't know what the hell they're looking at in a game of moving parts like this. Like you can have a match where both healers are just dumping everything they have into a Roadhog who is just standing in front of the enemy team and eating damage and not hitting hooks and spamming chip damage everywhere without getting meaningful kills. So the DPS just get the poo poo owned out of them and can't put up numbers. "DPS diff"

tbh I like to compare my healing output to the other support and the other team's supports. I don't look at other numbers unless I'm like "man that genji on the other team is really carrying" and sure enough they've got double the damage of their other DPS and ours.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

SadisTech posted:

I honestly think it's more a variance in DPS skill level. Just had a Bastion who had 0 kills, 15 deaths. Every fight he would walk out in front of the enemy team, transform and die. Then said right at the end, "wat does my ult do"

Every bastion seems to do this, he's a notorious noob trap. There is a huge disconnect between how one might expect him to play (a fuckin literal tank) and how he actually needs to be played

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Calibanibal posted:

Every bastion seems to do this, he's a notorious noob trap. There is a huge disconnect between how one might expect him to play (a fuckin literal tank) and how he actually needs to be played

It doesn't help that previously you could just mow down entire teams from behind the Rein/Orisa shield.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Im gonna relearn how he works but I still kinda sad I can't run+heal anymore. And his regular gun feels weird despite it being super precise idk what is up with that.

In the meantime Imjust playing baptiste. Don't know why I never bothered with him before. Fun flexible hero. Solid gun for a support.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Games feel more stompy because it's 5v5 and one person getting picked on your team over and over again means you have a bigger % loss of abilities on your team.

That's it, that's the whole thing. It's not a giant conspiracy. The balance sucks because blizz struggled to release one patch or one character without breaking it and they just released a massive game rework and the mmr is hosed because it ranked people low. I think they made it worse when they then started trying to rank people higher after and now you have people who are too low going against people who are where they're supposed to be.

The whole "the mm is hosed" is funny though

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

dogstile posted:

I think they made it worse when they then started trying to rank people higher after and now you have people who are too low going against people who are where they're supposed to be.

This is probably the best explanation for the huge skill gaps from game to game, lol.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I look at stats all the time but I think they're kinda meaningless. Or maybe the information conveyed is really not obvious at all, like "healing done" might just mean one side took more damage without dying. Or one side won a fight before they took much damage.

Damage done seems bad without elims. There's a few examples like this...

Edit
I miss the cards/old stats, where it told you weird outliers. I wanna know people's objective time, more than anything. I'm sick of running fights as my defense team just walks backward shooting at the offense on the advancing point, and then running off the point for the next fight, even if we win.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 14, 2022

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The issue is whether its grouping all the higher level players on one team. That happens to me sometimes and there isn't really anything you can do at that point. Fortunately those games are over pretty quick and you can just jump into the next one.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

I look at stats all the time but I think they're kinda meaningless. Or maybe the information conveyed is really not obvious at all, like "healing done" might just mean one side took more damage without dying. Or one side won a fight before they took much damage.

Healing done is only really relevant within your own team, it makes me feel less bad if my healing is on par with or above the other support, or you can see other factors like damage and damage-mitigated balancing it out :unsmith:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Only stats that matter. S/K/A/D

Issaries fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 14, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
This is the bastion timeline as I understand it:

1) Had a completely different kit in the beta, they scrapped it for some reason
2) Turret guy with awful gun while walking around, had a turret mode that wrecked noobs but as the playerbase got more experienced and understood he's just standing there, started to have one of the worst win rates, became considered an auto loss, and console players struggled with him so they just decided to rework him completely.
3) Turned into basically a tall Soldier 76 who could turn into a turret for a few seconds. Occasionally was OP based on however good or not good his armor was/how good armor was in the game. Had a strong ult that was scary with nano (or was that version 2?) Eventually a lot of nerfs made him not so good but was not an auto loss.
4) Overwatch 2. Where's the bird? Weaker than version 3 in every way, tall Soldier 76 with a worse gun, can turn into a turret for a little longer. One of the worst ults (although the ult broke the game so they had to take him out for a while). Auto loss unless the other team is really bad.

Am I right?

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Rick posted:

One of the worst ults (although the ult broke the game so they had to take him out for a while). Auto loss unless the other team is really bad.

Am I right?

Pretty close but I'd put it "auto loss unless your own team is willing to play entirely around your damage dumps and then potentially pretty good actually, although good luck ever getting that to happen unless you're in a pre-organised stack"

Mindblast posted:

And his regular gun feels weird despite it being super precise idk what is up with that.

It's because it's slow firing but relatively hard hitting so you have to have your crosshair lined up on the rhythm of "bang-bang-bang-bang" on moving targets instead of being a much faster cycle like something like Soldier or much slower precise shots like other hitscan. If you're trying to track a Pharah who's good at movement you can be lucky to hit every second round.

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 14, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
People still lose to bastion in qp and get mad about it and rage that bastion players are losers for picking the autowin character which is pretty lol and probably an indication he isnt a universal throw pick despite being pretty awful

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rick posted:

4) Overwatch 2. Where's the bird? Weaker than version 3 in every way, tall Soldier 76 with a worse gun, can turn into a turret for a little longer. One of the worst ults (although the ult broke the game so they had to take him out for a while). Auto loss unless the other team is really bad.

Blizzard reported that even with infinite ammo Bastion's current ult couldn't kill anyone. He's just painting an FF14 pattern on the floor that you can easily dodge if you're paying any attention.

I do think that he's a pretty good counter to Zarya right now, because he can burn her down through two bubbles.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Bastion was cheesy on lower ELOs, because he was easy to combo with.
Rein+Bastion+Mercy is easy concept to get behind even in bronze, while countering it took more coordination.

Now if you didn't get a shield nor a pocket heal, he was more of a throw pick.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

making bastion a good pick at higher ranks is probably a monkey's paw wish

his huge hitbox and (maybe?) terrible ult that even if combo'ed can be trivially deflected, absorbed, or eaten definitely hold him back

idk if there's a way to guarantee damage on say an ana near a corner or in the open

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Issaries posted:

Only stats that matter. S/K/A/D

What kind of sicko plays Torbjorn in death match?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

What kind of sicko plays Torbjorn in death match?

the same kind of fucks that play Roadhog

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

"no tanks in deathmatch" e-bushido is dumb as hell imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Poor hog, he was my first main and now he just kinda exists doing gently caress all in a game that heavily buffed all tanks except him.