Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Entirely possible Yor killed all scientists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i might be misremembering, because it's been a while since i read the beginning of the series, but doesn't she flashback to a researcher telling her not to reveal her powers? that always suggested to me that if she did escape it wasn't entirely on her own since that isn't something someone who was expecting her to remain in a lab would say

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i might be misremembering, because it's been a while since i read the beginning of the series, but doesn't she flashback to a researcher telling her not to reveal her powers? that always suggested to me that if she did escape it wasn't entirely on her own since that isn't something someone who was expecting her to remain in a lab would say

Here's how it is in Chapter 1 anyway

excuse my garbage quick cut job

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Forelock guy is the same one in Bond's flashback and responsible for the assassins on Yor's cruise. He's probably not chasing after Anya because he's busy taking over the criminal underworld.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Could also mean they intended her to be a secret operative for them. They probably weren't expecting her to stay in the lab, but to use her powers for their own ends.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

narm00 posted:

Could also mean they intended her to be a secret operative for them. They probably weren't expecting her to stay in the lab, but to use her powers for their own ends.

Or if it was the same program group as bond, they got shut down, Anya might literally have been shipped off to an orphanage in that case.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

AtomikKrab posted:

Or if it was the same program group as bond, they got shut down, Anya might literally have been shipped off to an orphanage in that case.

We're told she escaped, not 'they got shut down and she got shipped off'. They might have got shut down after she escaped, but it's not how she ended up on the run.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mission 71

Manga Plus

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Anya see-sawing between being actually cool and trying too hard to be cool in a vain attempt to impressive Si-on Boy remains an excellent gag.

Also, Damian is almost certainly a way better person than his father. Interesting he refers to his dad having been in the war. Given Twilight's entire character motivation to avert a hot war comes from having fought in the previous conflict, it's interesting papa Desmond is apparently trying to restart the fighting. Just another mystery around that spooky weirdo.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Can't believe Damian actually tried to be legit altruistic instead of doing the rich dude's thing of "gently caress you got mine". Color me surprised.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

bajeebles

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Anya you magnificent brat. :allears:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 13, 2022

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
I was startled to see a mention of “code 8814” in the latest chapters because “1488” and its variations are very much a neonazi dogwhistle. I was trying to figure out if it was a purposeful allusion — maybe to communicate something about the Blackwells? and then realized that in Japanese “8814” can also be read as “yabai yo,” or “this is dangerous!”

the pun’s totally lost in translation lol

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I always knew Hitler was yabai

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Grouchio posted:

Anya you magnificent brat. :allears:

She's such a poo poo and I love her for it :allears:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yeah, I used to think Yuri might be slightly redeemable/complex for genuinely wanting to keep his people safe, but the fact that he's apparently cool with a 6-year-old getting murdered makes him a full shitbag now.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sephyr posted:

Yeah, I used to think Yuri might be slightly redeemable/complex for genuinely wanting to keep his people safe, but the fact that he's apparently cool with a 6-year-old getting murdered makes him a full shitbag now.

I mean, he isn't really. He rushed in concerned for Anya with no greater motive or thought so far as we're told/shown, and only tried to brush her off as expendable after he was expressly forbidden from interfering. Which came off as (a) him trying to justify obeying orders and more importantly, (b) Yuri exaggerating/catastrophizing a worst case scenario as a way of coping being removed from the mission by walking mentally through what it'd mean. Which started with him going "well, it's not my problem what happens", i.e. it's only a possibility that he's considering she might die but the result regardless of outcome is outside his hands because he's not allowed to be actively involved, before immediately going "Oh, but if she does die then Yor would be happ...no, she wouldn't, she'd be heartbroken". He still realized that despite his supremely self-centered view of Yor that she'd be devastated if Anya was killed, and that empathy for Yor's personal feelings; not the feelings he projects onto her, overrode any order. He's not cool with a kid getting murdered; he's trying to be, because his job kind of requires him to treat people as statistics, but he's not despite his efforts.

Or at least, that'd be my read on what was happening.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 13, 2022

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My impression was that Yuri was trying to talk himself out of caring but failed.

Also lol @ Endo making the extremely dark panel of Yor seeing a dead Anya in the morgue a tad lighter with the angel wing thing

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

tsob posted:

I mean, he isn't really. He rushed in concerned for Anya with no greater motive or thought so far as we're told/shown, and only tried to brush her off as expendable after he was expressly forbidden from interfering. Which came off as (a) him trying to justify obeying orders and more importantly, (b) Yuri exaggerating/catastrophizing a worst case scenario as a way of coping being removed from the mission by walking mentally through what it'd mean. Which started with him going "well, it's not my problem what happens", i.e. it's only a possibility that he's considering she might die but the result regardless of outcome is outside his hands because he's not allowed to be actively involved, before immediately going "Oh, but if she does die then Yor would be happ...no, she wouldn't, she'd be heartbroken". He still realized that despite his supremely self-centered view of Yor that she'd be devastated if Anya was killed, and that empathy for Yor's personal feelings; not the feelings he projects onto her, overrode any order. He's not cool with a kid getting murdered; he's trying to be, because his job kind of requires him to treat people as statistics, but he's not despite his efforts.

That's a very charitable reading, but may be a stretch.

The sequence literally goes:

"Fine. What do I care about what happens to Loi-loi's daughter, anyway? I'd be happier having her out of the picture entirely. And I'm sure even Yor would-"

Smash cut to a panel of Yor grieving over a dead Anya, making him -finally- show a non-monster reaction. So if it doesn't upset Yor, it's alright, and maybe even desirable. Also, the fact that other kids are also at risk doesn't seem to cross his mind even for a moment.

So yeah, shithead psycho.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If he didn't care he wouldn't have been rushing in asking questions, wouldn't have been frowning when told he can't go.

Just a tsundere.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If the Red Circus doesn kill Anya, Yuri will do it himself is the take I got from that scene .

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Yuri is a siscon sociopath, I don't know that there's much more to plumb. Still, this arc could be a good way of adding more to his character so this post is useless.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

At a certain point, I wouldn't even mind if the depths they added were "oh he's EVIL evil." I don't think Yuri's gonna get disillusioned with his government anytime soon, but I'm curious to see how this "hostage rescue" from people from the Secret Police going "we gotta wipe out all details of this" will go.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yuri is a gestapo agent. I don't know what else to say about the guy. There's no shades of grey there.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Saoshyant posted:

Yuri is a gestapo agent. I don't know what else to say about the guy. There's no shades of grey there.

Not only is he a cop, he’s a Stasi cop.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this is how cops handle hostage situations, yes. yuri's only objection is that it might upset his sister. never forget, acab.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The stasi aren't gonna liquidate a bus full of rich people's kids, much less the unity party's son.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's more accurate to say that they shouldn't. ruthless, murderous secret police don't suddenly become competent peacekeepers on demand.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Yor is an assassin who brutally murders people and Twilight is a spy who will do absolutely anything for the sake of world peace and is using a child to do it, this whole manga is an enormous patchwork of grey

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yor is an assassin who brutally murders people and Twilight is a spy who will do absolutely anything for the sake of world peace and is using a child to do it, this whole manga is an enormous patchwork of grey

Bond has done nothing wrong

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bond has done ponzi schemes

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Lest we all forget his horrific maiming of Agent Penguinman

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

Yeah his first interest is Chihuahua Girl when he hears, then does the whole talking himself down when chastised by his boss, then freaks when imagining Yor grieving. I honestly don't like Yuri very much as a character and generally only tolerate him because he mainly exists as a gag character to get owned, but in this case I believe he at least enters the plot out of genuine concern for Anya.

But hey I'm willing to accept alternate reads of him as a purely awful siscon stasi, because I'm sure in the end it'll end as all Yuri plots do, with him getting either physically and/or emotionally wrecked by the Forger clan somehow.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Part of Loid's character arc is that he wouldn't actually do absolutely anything, that was the whole point of the first chapter. Yor is also genuinely kindhearted when she's not on the clock.

Yuri seems to have uh not as many redeeming qualities.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yeah, I thought that he at least genuinely cared for the safety of the people of his police state. Not much, but it was -something-.

But apparently, even that is conditional to his sister caring about them.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
It feels to me more like the tsundere trope of "Oh no! Anya's in trouble! ... Wait, why should I care about that dumb little gremlin child?"

Followed by his subconscious working overtime to find a justification to his initial emotional reaction, ending with "Well ... maybe I could help. You know, for Yor's sake. Not mine!"

I'm not arguing that Yuri isn't an assbutt in an awful job doing awful things, but one of the big themes of this manga is people finding family and being re-humanized.

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Billy Watson (6 years old) has done nothing wrong.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
He nearly got a tonitrus bolt for shouting die during dodgeball.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

InspectorCarbonara posted:

He nearly got a tonitrus bolt for shouting die during dodgeball.

He's also a bit of a coward despite his appearance going off the latest chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm not gonna blame a 6 year old for being intimidated by men with shotguns