Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Arc Hammer posted:

Love the SD Zaku flying the Red Baron's Triplane.

The propeller spins!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Snowy posted:

I’d like to see one of these painted like a marbled steak

best i can do is lobster

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is there a place I can go to find if models exist for a certain mobile suit? Like, I want to build an RX-79[G] but I don't know which scales it exists in and I don't want to take Amazon or even USAGS as the encyclopedia of what's out there.

There's a fandom wiki out there but it looks like it's only up to date as of like... 2020 or 2021?

A Gunpla database I guess is what I'm looking for

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dalong.net is probably the closest to that but you'll have to click around a bit.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Having a bit of a Plamo problem. I picked up the Mechagodzilla/Evangelion crossover kit from Aoshima since they had it on a big sale at Crunchyroll, and I'm struggling with a lot of the ball-and-socket polycap joints. They're marginally softer than the standard plastic elsewhere in the kit but nowhere near as squishy as the ones that come with older Gunpla kits. If a ball and socket just don't want to go together, what do folks recommend for tricks and modifications to get them to at least go together? I'm willing to glue stuff together if it comes to that- as long as I can get it on the shelf, that's good enough for me.

Count Thrashula posted:

Is there a place I can go to find if models exist for a certain mobile suit? Like, I want to build an RX-79[G] but I don't know which scales it exists in and I don't want to take Amazon or even USAGS as the encyclopedia of what's out there.

There's a fandom wiki out there but it looks like it's only up to date as of like... 2020 or 2021?

A Gunpla database I guess is what I'm looking for

If you scroll way down to the Gunpla section on a given suit's page on The Gundam Wiki (gundam.fandom.wiki) you can generally see a pretty good listing of what's out there. A fair amount of what you see in that section may be really ancient kits for UC suits, but if there's an HG, RG, or MG then it'll most likely be there.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
RX-79[G] has a 2018 HG as well as the 2007 HG. MG is from 2000 so it might well look worse than the newest HG.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Just Dan Again posted:

Having a bit of a Plamo problem. I picked up the Mechagodzilla/Evangelion crossover kit from Aoshima since they had it on a big sale at Crunchyroll, and I'm struggling with a lot of the ball-and-socket polycap joints. They're marginally softer than the standard plastic elsewhere in the kit but nowhere near as squishy as the ones that come with older Gunpla kits. If a ball and socket just don't want to go together, what do folks recommend for tricks and modifications to get them to at least go together? I'm willing to glue stuff together if it comes to that- as long as I can get it on the shelf, that's good enough for me.
Depends on what exactly the problem is. If it's too tight then you have to bite the bullet and sand a bit of material off of one of the parts (ball is easier I would assume) and keep checking the fit to hit the right point. If it's too loose then you got to find some material to thicken the ball or to tighten the socket. I've often seen clear acrylic nail polish as a suggestion but cement glue, clear paint, some types of varnish or similar liquids that can create a thin but hard material should work as well. Just be sure to not add the material straight from the source because that makes it hard to control and can quickly add too much. Use a small wooden stick or some other tool with a fine tip to apply it carefully

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 14, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

RX-79[G] has a 2018 HG as well as the 2007 HG. MG is from 2000 so it might well look worse than the newest HG.

It's comparable to the 2007 HG, with worse leg articulation.

For its time, it was pretty good, but it's been more than 20 years, so the baseline has lifted a lot.

(That's another nice thing about dalong. Big galleries let you compare things like articulation and fine detail work.)

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wdarkk posted:

I'm biased because that MG was my first real kit* but I think it still holds up pretty well. Admittedly the most recent MG I've built was probably the Sinanju.

*The first first kit I ever built was the Zaku/RX-79[G] set that's like a Happy Meal toy compared to a modern HG.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm most of the way done with the RG Wing Gundam Zero EW and I think I'm in love with Real Grade. I have a tiny apartment so getting the detail of MG in a smaller scale is awesome. Now I'm sad it doesn't have the same selection of models as MG.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

I'm most of the way done with the RG Wing Gundam Zero EW and I think I'm in love with Real Grade. I have a tiny apartment so getting the detail of MG in a smaller scale is awesome. Now I'm sad it doesn't have the same selection of models as MG.

45 and 230, so there's still a decent number of RGs, depending on your taste. The biggest issue is that it's the most Main Mech heavy line outside of PG, unless you're into Evangelion. You can get most of the leads (Well, except Barbatos, Turn A, X, G-Self...) but fewer grunts and villains.

If you're into Eva, though, you can get six of them with a lot of gear, so that's neat.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

I'm going to build some Federation suits before dipping back into for Sazabi and Hayaku Shiki. Any clue as to when the Rick Dias might get a reissue?

Right now!*

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2518984001003

*For delivery next year

Unless you meant MG then I have no idea.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Yeah I'm an MG only kinda guy tho the origin kits kinda make me regret it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Finally!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

That's a strange looking Guntank.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah I think it's a tie in for those chips

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I bit the bullet and bought the nightingale hg what am I in for?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

I bit the bullet and bought the nightingale hg what am I in for?

Hope your display case has room for it.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I think I have a bit of a problem. A month ago, I bought the RG Full Armor Unicorn Gundam for my birthday. It was my first Real Grade, so after putting off getting started on it for a few weeks, I bought a cheaper Real Grade just to get some experience under my belt. Now I've decided I want to do panel lining on the Unicorn, but I don't want to gently caress it up, so I bought two of the cheapest white kits I could find, the RGM-79D GM Cold Districts Type HGUC. I don't know if I'm putting off building the Unicorn because it scares me, or because I keep finding excuses to buy other kids off of it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That doesn't sound like a problem that sounds like a hobby.

If you want to practice panel lining I recommend checking out some of the Gundam The Origin high grades. They're covered in surface detail.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

I'm seriously considering buying the MG GP02 because it looks like such a beefy stupid doofus. Is this a terrible idea?
It's from 1998 and the only other old MG I've done is the Guncannon. Which was unsatisfying to build but looks fine.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Skrillmub posted:

I'm seriously considering buying the MG GP02 because it looks like such a beefy stupid doofus. Is this a terrible idea?
It's from 1998 and the only other old MG I've done is the Guncannon. Which was unsatisfying to build but looks fine.

MG GP02 is a notoriously bad MG. Virtually no poseability due to its bulk and engineering, and it can't even hold its shield unless you super glue it into its hand, and that's assuming the hand doesn't just pop out of the wrist from the weight.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
First time messing around with panel lining / weathering. This is hella fun, griming stuff up

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Count Thrashula posted:

First time messing around with panel lining / weathering. This is hella fun, griming stuff up

Hell yeah, that looks sick. What did you do?

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

MG GP02 is a notoriously bad MG. Virtually no poseability due to its bulk and engineering, and it can't even hold its shield unless you super glue it into its hand, and that's assuming the hand doesn't just pop out of the wrist from the weight.

Glad I asked! Thanks a lot!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Panel line with Gundam marker
Decals
Matte varnish
Sponging of dark brown paint (rhinox hide from citadel) on the edges
Hit the edges with some Maybelline black eye shadow
Matte varnish again

Surprisingly simple

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hooray

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Skios posted:

I think I have a bit of a problem. A month ago, I bought the RG Full Armor Unicorn Gundam for my birthday. It was my first Real Grade, so after putting off getting started on it for a few weeks, I bought a cheaper Real Grade just to get some experience under my belt. Now I've decided I want to do panel lining on the Unicorn, but I don't want to gently caress it up, so I bought two of the cheapest white kits I could find, the RGM-79D GM Cold Districts Type HGUC. I don't know if I'm putting off building the Unicorn because it scares me, or because I keep finding excuses to buy other kids off of it.

The Unicorn has so many natural joints from its transforming armor that there isn't as much lining needed as it might seem, though the FA has plenty of accessories that will benefit from it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm going to give my usual warning for the RG Unicorns that I learnt from first-hand experience: the shoulder joints in the pre-built frame for the arm parts are very tight, make sure to break them in a bit before attaching the arm to the torso. If you try to rotate the arm after it's attached and the joints are still stiff, you might break something like an attachment loop from the torque.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

I love the pose, looks like Link just pulled something cool out of the treasure box

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I feel like a larger daddy-zaku is just out of frame just having given him baby's first heat hawk.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the high grade nightingale went 25% off the day after I ordered it. Char was right....

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm going to give my usual warning for the RG Unicorns that I learnt from first-hand experience: the shoulder joints in the pre-built frame for the arm parts are very tight, make sure to break them in a bit before attaching the arm to the torso. If you try to rotate the arm after it's attached and the joints are still stiff, you might break something like an attachment loop from the torque.

If you have trouble with this, I recommend a heating pad to loosen them up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2022/11/p-bandai-mg-1100-stark-jegan-release.html?m=1

P-Bandai Master Grade Stark Jegan hell yes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hell no, for my wallet.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Your package came in Mid, thank you for the careful packaging. I'll take a look at it once I'm done this Dark Horn.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

E: wrong thread!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

Your package came in Mid, thank you for the careful packaging. I'll take a look at it once I'm done this Dark Horn.

:cheerdoge:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I was today years old when I learned Gunpla calls their plastic sheets, "runners", whereas GW calls them sprues, and not only that, there are sprue/runner holders which seems like an awesome concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Got my package from Midjack as well! Thank you for coordinating prizes! I'll probably assemble my prize next once I finally overpower this Mechagodzilla kit. (ball and socket update- shaving a bit out of the sockets and filing a bit off the balls got them to the point where I could actually assemble the torso, legs, and arms. On to the tail, which has about a million more connections to smash together...)