Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Defenestrategy posted:

Im running a cyberpunk campaign and I'm cribbing an idea from a old source book.

Basically the idea in that book was, spontaneous human combustion caused by illegal organ harvesters unknowingly harvesting organs of a set of vampires and selling them as emergency transplant fodder. Theres also a side story about a voodoo terrorist cult thats in the book seemingly for no reason, who I think are responsible for the dead vamps in the first place.

I'm interested in shift and mixing that idea for a game im running. My problem is I have the hook, I have the developments to get to finding out about illegal organ harvesting and who is responsible for that, but I dont know what the ending looks like. Should there be a journal that hints heavily about a mutated gene? Vampires existing being heavily hinted at? Should there even be closure beyond "hey you found and punished an possibly unethical dude" and the punchline of "thats capitalism"? Do I have to have closure in a thing beyond "and then you got paid the end"
If the players eliminate the organ leggers and figure out the vampire stuff from their "wtf notes" or overhearing them complaining about the heat those "supernatural fucks" have brought on them, then have a Vamp make contact with them for the purpose of hiring them to keep their existence under wraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
As I continue to work on content for my Death is Dead/ soul economy game setting, something I'm routinely struggling to figure out is how soulless NPCs and monsters would differ from regular ones stats-wise. One of the biggest barriers for me in setting up sessions etc. is always the nuts and bolts of the game and now that I'm doing a home-brew it's up to me. I've been thinking a lower CHA for sure, but I don't really know if there should be much else. Would there be more animal-like traits and abilities and a bent towards self-preservation, or would it lend to unfailing devotion to a trained cause that threw a sense of self out the window?

How would you mechanically differentiate NPCs and intelligent monsters who don't have a soul but normally would?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

As I continue to work on content for my Death is Dead/ soul economy game setting, something I'm routinely struggling to figure out is how soulless NPCs and monsters would differ from regular ones stats-wise. One of the biggest barriers for me in setting up sessions etc. is always the nuts and bolts of the game and now that I'm doing a home-brew it's up to me. I've been thinking a lower CHA for sure, but I don't really know if there should be much else. Would there be more animal-like traits and abilities and a bent towards self-preservation, or would it lend to unfailing devotion to a trained cause that threw a sense of self out the window?

How would you mechanically differentiate NPCs and intelligent monsters who don't have a soul but normally would?

It's only you who sees numbers like CHA, not your PCs, so they probably wouldn't even notice. Even if they do notice, there's not really any meaningful way that their characters can interact with the fact other than maybe picking spells that target charisma saves.

I'd come up with a specific set of abilities that soulless get -- like maybe when they're dropped down to 0HP, they get to act for a final turn before they become incapacitated? Or maybe if they kill a living being, they can use its soul for a little while before it escapes? Then on top of that, figure out concrete ways in which their behaviour is going to be different. Some of this can just be flavouring: maybe intelligent soulless always refer to themselves in the third person, or always talk in a monotone. Some of it should also be things they physically can't do, that the PCs can use against them.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’d have detect/protect-against evil/good type spells and the various related ones not work on them, to start.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I’d have detect/protect-against evil/good type spells and the various related ones not work on them, to start.

Resistance to holy spells and hexes/curses.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Dameius posted:

Resistance to holy spells and hexes/curses.

Or crushing tragic vulnerability.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Ratoslov posted:

Or crushing tragic vulnerability.

Or they start with resistance but if they kill a souled creature to consume that soul to overcome some other mechanical/flavor deficit, the resistance flips to a bonus damage from because they now have a soul, but it wants out because it doesn't belong to this vessel.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Maybe less a particular stat or ability, but rather how tactical and strategic they are in a fight? More direct and less skillful?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I like the resistance to holy/curses. Stealing souls doesn't really make sense with the setting in that it's really hard to squeeze a soul into a body once it's been alive without one for too long. I was intending for them to be mostly as physically capable as their ensouled counterparts, but completely unable to pick up on things on their own. They only have the skills they are directly taught to have, and never improve upon them themselves. They're perfectly satisfied with an entire life of chopping wood, sweeping the floor, and feeding the fire at an inn and nothing else, for example, and wouldn't really try to do anything else beyond fulfill their basic needs.

I think in battle they'd probably be less strategic and more defensive unless specifically taught to be an offensive fighter. It would be all the same to them either way though. Speaking of which, there's one plot hook I really hope my players take at some point for a mad mage intentionally kidnapping and training the soulless, and even ripping the souls from normal captives to grow an army faster. Crazy soulless magical mutant army sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe advertising as a way to help ensoul grown relatives but really being just a way for people to bring recruits to them.

No detect alignment, resist holy/hex/curse, lowered proficiency bonus and CHA on the backend are probably all reasonable. Monotone and aimless dialogue is a good roleplaying cue, maybe the third person too. I think in most fights they'd probably just stand their ground until approached unless they've been taught to attack. If they're taught to say, always attack orcs then a half-orc character could find trouble.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

ISpeaking of which, there's one plot hook I really hope my players take at some point for a mad mage intentionally kidnapping and training the soulless, and even ripping the souls from normal captives to grow an army faster.

Well it sounds to me like this fine fellow is just trying to ensure the limited resource of souls remains available. Like sure he’s cutting down a forest but he’s also replanting as he goes, that’s just good renewable resource responsibility there.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I like the resistance to holy/curses. Stealing souls doesn't really make sense with the setting in that it's really hard to squeeze a soul into a body once it's been alive without one for too long. I was intending for them to be mostly as physically capable as their ensouled counterparts, but completely unable to pick up on things on their own. They only have the skills they are directly taught to have, and never improve upon them themselves. They're perfectly satisfied with an entire life of chopping wood, sweeping the floor, and feeding the fire at an inn and nothing else, for example, and wouldn't really try to do anything else beyond fulfill their basic needs.

I think in battle they'd probably be less strategic and more defensive unless specifically taught to be an offensive fighter. It would be all the same to them either way though. Speaking of which, there's one plot hook I really hope my players take at some point for a mad mage intentionally kidnapping and training the soulless, and even ripping the souls from normal captives to grow an army faster. Crazy soulless magical mutant army sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe advertising as a way to help ensoul grown relatives but really being just a way for people to bring recruits to them.

No detect alignment, resist holy/hex/curse, lowered proficiency bonus and CHA on the backend are probably all reasonable. Monotone and aimless dialogue is a good roleplaying cue, maybe the third person too. I think in most fights they'd probably just stand their ground until approached unless they've been taught to attack. If they're taught to say, always attack orcs then a half-orc character could find trouble.

You're kinda describing Discworld clay golems for some of that, but in human bodies. So that might be a good reference cue for you for the rp side of it.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Just ran my first session. I was just wondering when is the appropriate time to say to players that something is unavailable to them at their location because they asked me the town they were in had a black market dealer. It originally didn't but I made up one on the fly to fit their expectations even though I hadn't planned for it. What is the appropriate amount to balance ad libbing with services available (And just stuff in general) and having a set definitive world around them already concrete in what's there?

trapstar fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 12, 2022

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

trapstar posted:

Just ran my first session. I was just wondering when is the appropriate time to say to players that something is unavailable to them at their location because they asked me the town they were in had a black market dealer. It originally didn't but I made up one on the fly to fit their expectations even though I hadn't planned for it. What is the appropriate amount to balance ad libbing with services available (And just stuff in general) and having a set definitive world around them already concrete in what's there?

When it fits the narrative. Smallburg, a sleepy little farming hamlet with a population of 12 families, simply isn't going to have everything the PCs want or need even if they're asking for their help in getting rid of the groblins stealing their chickens or whatever. Conversely if the PCs are in a city that you've described as being mercantile in nature or bearing a large population than yeah, there's probably someone around who has the things they're looking for! Is the stuff they want rare/illegal/very high-tech (for various values of 'tech' in your setting)? Then there might be one person who has it and they may be unwilling to let it go. Giving those people their own motivations can lead to some really fun stories. Are they just looking for more 10 foot poles? Sure, ol' Terry has those on sale at the lumber mill.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

When it fits the narrative. Smallburg, a sleepy little farming hamlet with a population of 12 families, simply isn't going to have everything the PCs want or need even if they're asking for their help in getting rid of the groblins stealing their chickens or whatever. Conversely if the PCs are in a city that you've described as being mercantile in nature or bearing a large population than yeah, there's probably someone around who has the things they're looking for! Is the stuff they want rare/illegal/very high-tech (for various values of 'tech' in your setting)? Then there might be one person who has it and they may be unwilling to let it go. Giving those people their own motivations can lead to some really fun stories. Are they just looking for more 10 foot poles? Sure, ol' Terry has those on sale at the lumber mill.

Thank you! I was really wondering which direction to veer towards there, but making sure the services offered "fit the narrative" was just the confirmation I was looking for. Don't want it to be too much like a video game lol.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

trapstar posted:

Never tell the players exactly what exists. If they look for a black market have them gather information and if they fail they don't find it. If you don't want a black market to exist make the search DC very high.

If they roll a natural 20 there is a black market in town, regardless if you want there to be one. The gods have spoken

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The black market deals only in stolen chickens, crop-themed hexes, and salacious farmer gossip. It's not a very *big* black market.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
It's absolutely what fits the narrative. If you just want to get it over with you can go with the unrealistic but practical conceit that the black market is in a place, maybe limited to certain nights in the week, roll if they have/can get what you need, done.

Conversely, if you're doing a more urban game with a lot of underworld stuff, go whole hog, the black market is an informal network of trade. You need to learn who knows a guy that knows a gal, go to some sketchy dude's house, find out which seemingly legit merchants have illegal side hustles, earn the right people's trust etc.

A fun middle of the road option is that when the PCs want something hard to get or illegal, the person who has access is willing to part with it on condition that they do a side quest that you had in mind anyway. Depending on how plot-oriented your players are, it can be nice to keep some short, small tasks (like one or two encounters long) in your back pocket that you can slot into situations like that.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Have it run by very confused people who think that a Black Market is where everyone dresses in black and only sells black objects. Good deals on piles of coal and freshly painted merchandise.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Or make it more like the Hot Fuzz town cult where they're smuggling in illegal petunias and sabotaging neighboring villages gardens or making their prize animals sick the night before the regional harvest festival show and competition day.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

trapstar posted:

The easy answer: just go ahead and say the local black marketeer doesn't have what they're looking for, but he can get them a great deal on some horribly cursed items. If you're in a smaller town, they probably aren't exactly the largest black market in the setting, after all, and they focus on getting shipments of things the locals actually need, like restricted seeds and forged customs receipts. He just has no market for whatever the thing the PCs want is.

The trickier answer: the black market has everything they need, and for a suspiciously good price. The black marketeer is happy to work within the PCs' budget, and even seems willing to sell some items at a loss, as long as the PCs will shake on the deal. That's because the black market is a front for a local cult in service to a demonic lord, and is wearing a magical ring that siphons life energy from his customers to fuel his patron's attempt to escape the Lower Planes and wreak havoc on the world. Every item the PCs buy has a very reasonable price in gold, but also has a hidden surcharge of one HP from the PC's maximum total, or more in the case of certain wildly powerful items. The dealer does not warn the PCs of this in advance, though a successful Insight check will reveal that they seem much more concerned about the post-sale handshake than they do the actual gold.

Basically, the 'appropriate amount' of balance between adlibbed details and pre-established setting details is, in my view, "I reserve the right to go back and tell you all that my ad lib was wrong because I can't hold a setting's full details in my head at all times, so sometimes I'm gonna screw up and ad lib something that doesn't actually make sense, so you're just gonna have to understand when I mess up, 'cause I am mortal and fallible."

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

trapstar posted:

Have them meet with someone who promises to get it for them in a week or two with a hefty but affordable down payment. The next morning, the party is approached by someone who wants to hire them to obtain that same item and offers them a generous up-front payment ... which happens to be exactly half of what they just paid the other guy. At this point, you can either decide to have the 2nd person have a clue as where to go next (plot hook and a quest to get said item), or if the 2nd person has no idea ("You're the adventurers ... that's what I'm paying you to find out!) they can confront the first guy who admits that he has no clue where to get the item and subcontracted the job out, and refunds them the money, along with a "what, does this look like a town with a powerful enchanter?"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I don’t think the question is “what are some creative ways to have a black market“, it’s “what am I allowed to put in the game world and what shouldn’t I?”

Generally, if you don’t know if something should be around, it might be better to ask why players want it. “ I want a lot of black powder for explosives“, “I want untraceable poisons“ and “ I want purple tunics, although those are only available to royalty“ all indicate different player interests! If you’re in a small town but the players want explosives, mucking around for guano could be funny. (“I don’t have a lot of gold but if you save my cows I can pay you in this fancy nitrogen thing you guys like, as much as you want.”)

If it doesn’t matter, like players asking for a medical kit in an office building, let them find it. If what they want is impossible and would affect the plot, like a well in the desert, don’t give it to them, don’t even roll. Sometimes you have 1000 spoons when all you need is a knife. Restriction breeds ingenuity.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Restriction breeds ingenuity.

So true!

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The party has chosen to ignore numerous hints at mounting threats to civilization to chase down a debt owed. They were working protection for a merchant delivering an expensive magical device built specially for a buyer. It's claimed to be for helping to ensoul folks even long after birth (it is a soul-ripping-out device to make more hollow warriors). The buyer wasn't there, so the merchant can't pay the rest of the protection fee. The plot lead the party chose to follow was to find they buyer...who happens to be the mad wizard from earlier in my posts.

I really thought they'd deal with the Orc tribe that's been subjugating goblin tribes and staging raids across the countryside, kidnapping local wizards, but money owed is money owed. It's an unusual amount of influence for Orcs and kidnapping isn't usually their style, nor cooperation with goblins. Gotta get those GP tho. I'm pretty excited for the mad scientist plot line if they're willing to chase it all the way through.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

The party has chosen to ignore numerous hints at mounting threats to civilization to chase down a debt owed. They were working protection for a merchant delivering an expensive magical device built specially for a buyer. It's claimed to be for helping to ensoul folks even long after birth (it is a soul-ripping-out device to make more hollow warriors). The buyer wasn't there, so the merchant can't pay the rest of the protection fee. The plot lead the party chose to follow was to find they buyer...who happens to be the mad wizard from earlier in my posts.

I really thought they'd deal with the Orc tribe that's been subjugating goblin tribes and staging raids across the countryside, kidnapping local wizards, but money owed is money owed. It's an unusual amount of influence for Orcs and kidnapping isn't usually their style, nor cooperation with goblins. Gotta get those GP tho. I'm pretty excited for the mad scientist plot line if they're willing to chase it all the way through.
Look, world ending threats are a dime a dozen, and there are plenty of heroes in the world to fight them. These PC's, however, have been screwed over. You think they'll let that stand? Nothing will stop them from getting what they are owed or taking it from the bloody flesh of the one who owes it.

With this in mind, feel free to add reports from bards singing songs of how the great evils have been stymied in some respects by other heroes in the world. It is a nice easy way to add flavour and suggest a living world they are interacting with and not something that revolves entirely around them.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
To me it sounds like your players are signalling pretty hard that they're not interested in saving the world, they're interested in making money. So I would lean into that -- after all, the whole point of RPGs is that the players get to tell the story they want to tell.

I would suggest changing the focus of the campaign. Make the orc invasion like the White Walkers in Game of Thrones, an impending disaster that nobody is doing anything about because they're all looking out for number one, and have the PCs get hired to do all the lovely mercenary things that get done in the face of impending doom. Like, say, a noble fled their manor at the first sign of war and the PCs are hired to recover the treasure they left behind. Or now that all the proper soldiers are being sent to the front lines, the rich and powerful are willing to pay through the nose to stop dissatisfied peasants from taking advantage of the lack of law enforcement. Or, other way round, groups with an axe to grind see the instability as an opportunity to seize power and hire the PCs as muscle to eliminate their enemies.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Squidster posted:

The black market deals only in stolen chickens, crop-themed hexes, and salacious farmer gossip. It's not a very *big* black market.

Counterpoint: the black market is one of the largest in the country, and is sort of an open secret among villagers.

The village is out of the way enough that what passes for law enforcement very rarely bother to stop in, so a wealthy rogue chose to retire there a few decades back. Just because you're done with the game, though, doesn't mean the game's done with you. There were always old friends or business partners stopping buy to stash stolen treasures while they waited for the heat to die down, and then people started sending couriers to pick up things that had been left instead of collecting themselves, and by the time the PCs arrive on the scene there's a full-on network being run out of this backwater town which didn't even have its own doctor. If the players are up late, they might see a coach silently rolling up to one of the buildings, only to start moving again a few minutes later when one of the villagers passes a silk-wrapped package through the window.

Just because it's there, though, doesn't mean the players will have full access. The proprietor doesn't know them from Jack, and if they start running their mouths, that might spell the end of the good thing they've got going here. If the party want to make use of this, they're going to need someone who's already in to vouch for them...

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Whybird posted:

To me it sounds like your players are signalling pretty hard that they're not interested in saving the world, they're interested in making money. So I would lean into that -- after all, the whole point of RPGs is that the players get to tell the story they want to tell.

I would suggest changing the focus of the campaign. Make the orc invasion like the White Walkers in Game of Thrones, an impending disaster that nobody is doing anything about because they're all looking out for number one, and have the PCs get hired to do all the lovely mercenary things that get done in the face of impending doom. Like, say, a noble fled their manor at the first sign of war and the PCs are hired to recover the treasure they left behind. Or now that all the proper soldiers are being sent to the front lines, the rich and powerful are willing to pay through the nose to stop dissatisfied peasants from taking advantage of the lack of law enforcement. Or, other way round, groups with an axe to grind see the instability as an opportunity to seize power and hire the PCs as muscle to eliminate their enemies.

I'm fine with them not saving the world, and TBH I'm kind of excited to see them chase their greed into my most fleshed-out side plot. While they're away the kidnappings and raids will continue and nobles and nations may start to get concerned with them. Mostly I think it'll be an excuse for the two major human kingdoms to see the final strain on their old war-born alliance and fall from a cold war into a hot one. The orc encampment is near the border between the two, they can blame each other for not dealing with it. The orc plot was meant to be lower level challenge that got them into a fun fortress assault/sneak attack and gave them a sneak peak at the cultists pulling the strings (they wanted to wizards out of the picture so folks would have to rely on them for ensouling. They kidnapped instead of killed them so they could rip their souls/magical powers away and granting them to orcs and goblins, giving them spell casting ability. This was their bargain with the religious fanatic orcs).

Meanwhile the party can chase this noble wizard who stole her family fortune all the way out to the pirate-y nation state island she's hiding on and working on taking over with her soulless minions. She wants a world where the only nobles get/control the flow of souls and live like god-kings, and her own island nation is her first step. The party will have to try and talk to her family who are keeping her absence and their empty bank accounts a secret (they know she's up to something evil, don't think the device is what it seems), will need to connect with the wizard through some means (network of underlings? Magic mirror in the manor? I'll figure it out). Then they get to decide whether they complete the sale of the soul device or not, but their payment for bodyguard duty relies on it. From there they can either keep chasing at her family's request (and promise of payment) to recover their fortune or can say "we got paid and we don't care any more" and go back to orcs or other stuff.

E: I don't want it to sound like they're forced to follow these steps that way either, they may have their own ideas, like trying to extort the nobles for their last gp and calling that payment enough and dropping it, IDK, but if they want to dig into a plot that's what's there.

The Paladin and Druid both want the world soul problem thing fixed for their own reasons, but the Pali is pretty low INT and that player knows it, so she's easily convinced of the noble purpose of whatever the party decides it wants. The rest of the party are kinda scoundrels, but not evil. We'll see what they choose.

Either way I don't think I realized how much fun DMing would be, I kind thought I'd miss being a player but all the behind the scenes scheming is great.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 14, 2022

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Next session you have the PCs learn from a travelling bard that the world has been saved by a Great Band of Heroes

The session after that have them learn that the mad wizard who owes them money was the guy who gave the Great Band of Heroes the Magical McGuffin that let them save the world

Now the PCs are on the rampage trying to get cash from the guy who helped enable the saving of the world, and people are starting to look at them funny

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Yeah honestly a campaign where the world is in turmoil from an apocalyptic threat and the PCs are self-interested bit players trying to make the best of a lovely situation sounds like an absolute blast. Reminds me of the vibe of my old Warhammer Fantasy campaigns.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Guildencrantz posted:

Yeah honestly a campaign where the world is in turmoil from an apocalyptic threat and the PCs are self-interested bit players trying to make the best of a lovely situation sounds like an absolute blast. Reminds me of the vibe of my old Warhammer Fantasy campaigns.

That's pretty much the baseline game style of Mork Borg, except it turns the "lovely apocalypse" stuff up to 11 and then breaks the knob off. If you're into the presentation, it's a very fun setting; if you aren't into the presentation, you'll probably bounce straight off.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Yeah, I had the opportunity to flip through Mork Borg and it looks like a fantastic, polished, beautifully presented product with a definite and really well-executed aesthetic that I personally don't vibe with at all, at least not in a TTRPG context. I kinda have the same beef with it as with a lot of OSR stuff, where it has an almost expressionist attitude to its setting, so OTT weird and unreal it largely abandons any attempt at internal consistency or feeling like a place people inhabit. This is a perfectly valid stylistic choice but totally not my preference.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Chases. Anyone ever do one?

My players are going to go to a small safe house in a bigger city and find a contract for an assassination. They will see the assassin down the street when they exit the safehouse and will chase him as he runs to the target if his contract.

I’m going to use the rules for chases found in the DMs guide but wanted to know any tips or tricks folks use to jazz it up a bit.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
My players are taking a detour to a fey spa, where the nefarious estranged sister of the rogue happens to work. What are some ways for sister to mess with our group?

The obvious answer is to have her ruin their spa treatments or implicate them in a crime, but I'd love to hear your ideas.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
What are your standards for fey? Because going anywhere near a fey spa by folkloric standards would be a terrible idea.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dienes posted:

My players are taking a detour to a fey spa, where the nefarious estranged sister of the rogue happens to work. What are some ways for sister to mess with our group?

The obvious answer is to have her ruin their spa treatments or implicate them in a crime, but I'd love to hear your ideas.

This is the setup for The Price of Beauty adventure from the Candlekeep Mysteries book, I'd look that up for inspo

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

change my name posted:

This is the setup for The Price of Beauty adventure from the Candlekeep Mysteries book, I'd look that up for inspo

That's actually that very spa! They completed that adventure a while ago but kept the book. They want to look nice before going to confront the fey queen in a modified Court of the Shadow Fey module.

Spoilers for Price of Beauty: The demon butler managed to steal many of the hags' relics for the evil portraits, because this was a time when the party was not regularly looting bodies. So there's a good chance he's setting up a rival spa...

hyphz posted:

What are your standards for fey? Because going anywhere near a fey spa by folkloric standards would be a terrible idea.

This party is made of bad ideas. The cleric made a warlock pact with the BBEG and helped him escape at the end of the second major story arc.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nash posted:

Chases. Anyone ever do one?

My players are going to go to a small safe house in a bigger city and find a contract for an assassination. They will see the assassin down the street when they exit the safehouse and will chase him as he runs to the target if his contract.

I’m going to use the rules for chases found in the DMs guide but wanted to know any tips or tricks folks use to jazz it up a bit.

Third party involvement to help or hinder the PCs, if you've overturned or undertuned the chase (or just for comedic effect)

Something I transmogrified from the excellent James Bond 007 game: setting or bidding on DCs. Setting: "I'm looking for a really thick crowd to push through or hide in, at least a DC 16." (Skill to get through is negotiable, of course.) vs. "The guards are chasing you to the drawbridge, which is opening. Everyone on both sides needs a DC 15 roll to make the leap." -- "I'm going to detour through a tight alley to waste a few more seconds. Now, if they want to catch me on the other side, it's a DC 18 roll now."

Related, 4E skill challenges (make X number of skill rolls, only Y per skill, before the group fails three rolls.)

Most importantly, embrace every cheesy chase cliche you can think of. Toppling an apple cart gives a -2 penalty to a pursuer's roll. Assassin's Creed blending in with monks. "The man who catches Bond lives." Knock yourself out. Your players will love it more the cheesier it is.

Ninja edit: these are D&D-focused but the principles carry over, especially the last one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dienes posted:

Overly elaborate schemes to kill the party e.g. the sauna is run by a caged fire and water elemental and they get out and start fighting, hallucinogenic delirium grapes in the fruit platter, etc. Read the bond book moonraker for ideas in which evil 1950s Elon musk tries to kill bond through misused health equipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dienes posted:

The first rule of being a villain is "Don't poo poo where you live".

Have her plant something valuable in their belongings (A trinket misplaced at the spa previously). The item belongs to one Noble House at their destination, and she quietly and anonymously tips off the House it came from to suggest that the player party had arranged it stolen so they could "retrieve" it on their way in to gain favour with them. At the same time she has also anonymously tipped off a rival House that it is in their possession, so that House wants to obtain it so they can extort a favour from the owner House for its return.