Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

another old lady in another store came in five minutes before closing christmas eve when all the shelves were completely stripped. she came to the checkout with a bottle of olive oil. "is this a good present for a ten-year-old girl?" did the girl like to cook? no. i reassured the customer she'd love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

also australia does black friday now. i did retail the year they started doing it (2019 lol), people kept wandering in and asking "what the hell is black friday" and all i could say was "it's an american thing" and they just shrugged and started loading up their carts and the store made record profits that day. now it happens every year across many franchises and everyone acts like we've always done it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

take_it_slow posted:

could you clarify what you mean by 'egyptian story of troy'? I'm having trouble finding anything that seems relevant when I search for it
did you try searching for "atlantis troy" lmao

short of it off the top of my head, Plato's recounting a story told to his uncle by a couple of Egyptian historians, and a lot of the details are good fits for being an Egyptian retelling of the fall of Troy

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

FFT posted:

no

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i like christmas. it's nice to spend time with family and sing and eat good food together.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Harik posted:

loving lol do you even hear yourself

'if we cut global emissions 45% by 2030' sure cool but that ain't happening and in 2030 you'll be saying 'if we cut global emissions by 60% by 2040' without skipping a single beat.

those goalposts have always been about a decade away my entire life and weirdly they always will be because it's cheap and easy to convince idiots that change could possibly come sometime in the future rather then actually do anything about it.

e: oh its syq, lol

What's funny about the "by 2030" is it feels the time frame hasn't changed much but time continues to move forward. Like 2030 isn't that far away. It's not even a given we'll see Elder Scrolls VI by 2030, let alone have cut 45% of global emissions! lol

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

buy some garbage for people and get drunk like everyone else theres no award for humbuggin it

bah, humbug

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm doing mini paintings / watercolor postcards and such for adults this year. I've finally mentally accepted that my paintings are actually desirable given my sales rate so why not.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I read Dickens' A Christmas Carol every Christmas Eve, that's my contribution.

:unsmith:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

1glitch0 posted:

What's funny about the "by 2030" is it feels the time frame hasn't changed much but time continues to move forward. Like 2030 isn't that far away. It's not even a given we'll see Elder Scrolls VI by 2030, let alone have cut 45% of global emissions! lol

tbh i think its more likely that we'll figure out some high-tech alternative to fossil fuels than elder scrolls vi coming out because alternative energy sources have a profit incentive whereas sega can just keep porting and remastering skyrim over and over

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

silicone thrills posted:

I'm doing mini paintings / watercolor postcards and such for adults this year. I've finally mentally accepted that my paintings are actually desirable given my sales rate so why not.

Unironically having some of my backlog painted to a high tabletop standard would rate higher than most gifts I can think of, so I hope the people you're doing this for appreciate it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

There's cringe in the cringe? :confused:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
weeks/months of ongoing floods in the southern states of Australia starting to pay off big

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/vic/2022/11/14/freight-train-derail-inverleigh/

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Hubbert posted:

I read Dickens' A Christmas Carol every Christmas Eve, that's my contribution.

:unsmith:

Hell yeah, not Christmas without Dickens. We also listen to Alan Maitland reading "The Shepherd". The only thing better than one Xmas ghost story is two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2_bLEqmBi0

Long ago when we were poor we made an agreement that adults got nothing but Christmas wishes and food. Then we were no longer poor but older and grumpier and continued doing that as a gently caress you to consumerism. Small children continue to get gifts because it is essential to train the next generation of consumers properly or keep them a functioning part of society or some loving thing, idk. So much plastic associated with small children.

If I think too much about it I start to loathe Christmas so I don't think about it. Christmas is coming:

a strange fowl posted:

Biosphere Collapse: no. don't. don't buy some garbage for people. that is the problem

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

there are too many humans on this planet

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

so much empty land in the western us tgoufh…. we need a billion Americans, we can fit a bunch of ‘em in west Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, etc. lots of room for sprawling suburban development. don’t ask about where the water or food is supposed to come from

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's topic title in reference to? Other than the ice on greenland melting

Semquais
Dec 5, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's topic title in reference to? Other than the ice on greenland melting

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/10/28/opinion/climate-change-bret-stephens.html

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

You don't see many humbugs these days

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zodium posted:

i like christmas. it's nice to spend time with family and sing and eat good food together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dDA9HlxQvw

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Drinking water just makes you explode when you get immediately infected with a supervirus that has been sleeping in the artic, now freed.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

a strange fowl posted:

you are all shameful and will blow away in the wind like so much dust

I’d change it to this but I’m in Slovenia without a computer, but I can do it in a few days when I’m back in Hawaii

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

show us ur methane bubble

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

christmas time is an excellent excuse for baking ludicrous amounts of sugar cookies, and also home-made fruitcake is good, the haters may hate but they will dine on ashes

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

Raine posted:

i hate christmas

Me too. Can’t stand the time of year. The entirety of December has people driving around like an out of control Tesla going from one box store to another just to stock up on stupid plastic poo poo to give to their 10 children (I live in SLC)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Christmas owns actually sorry to all you haters & losers

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a strange fowl posted:

"the bible" is a huge collection of texts, all from different eras, some more factual than others. itt i've only been talking about genesis, a collected oral history that was occasionally inspired by stories that came in from elsewhere but mostly concerned with the direct experiences of the people telling the stories. they didn't start out going "let's make up a bunch of poo poo to terrify the rest of the world with our angry patron deity", they just wanted a record of important stuff that actually happened to them, like famines and asteroids. if a person believes in an omnipotent creator who can't be directly depicted by human artistry, a factual timeline of history is as close to a portrait of that entity as you will get.

lol you can't talk in sweeping generalizations about genesis. get back to the library

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FFT posted:

short of it off the top of my head, Plato's recounting a story told to his uncle by a couple of Egyptian historians, and a lot of the details are good fits for being an Egyptian retelling of the fall of Troy

from Platos perspective the trojan war took place 1000 years ago. in his writings he says Atlantis existed 9000 years ago from his perspective

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Zodium posted:

sicko

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I think its neat how A Christmas Carol portrays London as snowy and icy, how wacky is that

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

quote:

These new insights in ice flow model simulations have important implications for the contribution of the NEGIS to sea-level rise. The projection of cumulative mass loss using the Budd friction law (linear viscous) has a sea-level equivalent of 1.5 to 3.3 mm by 2100 (ref. 8). According to our new ice flow models, which are able to reproduce deep-inland observed accelerations and thinning, the mass loss increases by a factor of 5 to between 13.5 and 15.5 mm (Table 1).

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-05301-z

New study of the NE Greenland Ice Stream based on better inland measurements, concluding it's melting 5x as fast as thought previously.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Rutibex posted:

lol you can't talk in sweeping generalizations about genesis. get back to the library
asddfhh

a strange fowl has issued a correction as of 17:05 on Nov 14, 2022

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

it is an interpretation!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

it's been translated, printed and revised twenty billion times, no two versions of the text are the same, nor do two readers read it in the same way

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i'll take you to the library so help me. i will singlehandedly fight you all to the death with the beauty of the word

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
Inevitable that Avshalom would become a religious nut, in hindsight.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i'm absolutely irate at being told to go back to the library lmao i've edited this post like eight times. even arfjason has never made me this angry

a strange fowl has issued a correction as of 17:38 on Nov 14, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a strange fowl posted:

i'm absolutely irate at being told to go back to the library lmao i've edited this post like eight times. even arfjason has never made me this angry

here you go buddy https://www.vatican.va/archive/bible/genesis/documents/bible_genesis_en.html

e: this is a beautiful Bible web page

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i think what i am trying to say with this extended public breakdown is, to understand the famines in your future, study the famines of the past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

thank you

i was fortunate enough to receive both a catholic and a presbyterian education, both delivered by fundamentalist lunatics

a strange fowl has issued a correction as of 17:49 on Nov 14, 2022