Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
God of War's themes hit freakishly close to home for what I'm going through right now in my life. When 2018 came out I'd recently lost my mom and nearly cried at several points in that game (the part where he almost puts his hand on boy's back for example)

Now this one hits and I'm dealing with the themes of dad possibly being on his way out (I'm midway through the game just teamed up with Freya) while in my real life I've been seeing my dad on a weekly basis and just hanging out and watching stuff, talking about life, and God when they broach the subject of Kratos possibly dying soon and spending the time he has left with his son, it really hits home. As well as the desire to be closer but feeling like something is holding both of us back, because of our pasts... it really just speaks directly to me on an intensely personal level.

So yeah I'm somewhere around halfway through (maybe less, I've been taking my time) and I'm pretty sure this is going to be my game of the year. It looked tough to top Elden Ring but that game started to make me feel like a lost soul after while, this game feels so purposeful, even while toying with the idea of whether or not fate exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i have issues with ragnarok's script but that one line from kratos (minor spoiler, it's in the trailers) "Death can have me when it earns me" is the rawest thing anyone's said in this entire franchise

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I’m about 15 hours into GoW and I really wish they actually came up with some new gameplay progression. I’m unlocking the same exact runic attacks from the first game at the same slow pace and it’s 15 hours into the sequel and I don’t have a heavy runic attack yet. Sequels are supposed to iterate on the gameplay:

Story is interesting so far and the base gameplay is fun enough to carry it, but I really feel like they could have done more/better in the gameplay design.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

PRADA SLUT posted:

I've been tasked with finding game(s) for MY WIFE

Looking for puzzle-esque games. Can have some action, but preferably low-action. She can handle action sequences, but generally prefers to not break up what's otherwise a big brain play experience with like.. random-rear end chases or something. Probably a narrative-driven game.

Games that she's liked in the past:

The Sherlock series

Frogwares also did The Sinking City and it's one of my favorites. Combat's perfunctory at best but the Lovecraftian horror is dialed up to twenty.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

PRADA SLUT posted:

I've been tasked with finding game(s) for MY WIFE

Looking for puzzle-esque games. Can have some action, but preferably low-action. She can handle action sequences, but generally prefers to not break up what's otherwise a big brain play experience with like.. random-rear end chases or something. Probably a narrative-driven game.

Games that she's liked in the past:

The Sherlock series
The Room
The Witness
Talos Principle
Portal
The Wild At Heart

Phoenix Wright was okay, but too much visual novel.
Stray was good, even though it's a mixture of action/puzzle.
Danganronpa was good, minus the interjection mini-games
The Sexy Brutale was good to begin, but too much backtracking

Nothing with too weird of an art style (Obra Dinn)
No thematic platformers with basic puzzles (e.g., Inside)
No purely abstract puzzles games (e.g., Tetris)
No dumb click-the-thing puzzles (e.g., Family Mysteries)
No multiplayer (e.g., It Takes Two)
No mobile ports
No relaxed-simulator, mobile-esque puzzle games (e.g., Unpacking)
No combat tactics (Into the Breach)
No aimless wandering (Outer Wilds)

Gorogoa, Maquette, Telling Lies.. I know there’s more that I can’t think of right now, but those seem to fall under your set of criteria and they’re cheap as well, or on PS plus.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 14, 2022

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hourglass

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I just want to smash poo poo but I need to use magic arrows to explode 3 root things and it just doesn’t work. God dammit what were they thinking with this poo poo

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man one of the late game optional areas in Ragnarok is just loving massive. It’s loaded with cool areas and puzzles and some especially metal bosses and has been my favorite part of the game so far. It has hours of content and there’s no need to ever set foot there in the critical path. Feels like a GotY edition that has the $20 DLC packaged in.

When you have the choice to search for Freyr’s friend, don’t sleep on it and def explore that whole area.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 14, 2022

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Nuts and Gum posted:

I just want to smash poo poo but I need to use magic arrows to explode 3 root things and it just doesn’t work. God dammit what were they thinking with this poo poo

Yeah, the pink arrows are so clunky

e: just got to asgard and met that whole crew this poo poo is so cool lol

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Feels like they just plain don't work sometimes, either. Like I have a giant pink globe near the torch and clearly, clearly this globe that I'm igniting intersects with it, but nope, gently caress you, not lighting it. Gave up and looked up the solution to one Nornir chest that was bugging me, and I was actually doing the correct thing, they just wouldn't accept it unless my arrows were pixel perfect. Even after pausing the video showing where the arrows should be, it still took me two tries to get it.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I skipped some of the side quests to follow the main story so I look forward to playing the whole game again and doing them in a different order. I’m pretty sure you have a choice of companion for a lot of them with different dialogue.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I picked up sonic last night after being in turmoil over liking what I'd seen but the middling reviews... It's loving great (with some big caveats)
It does feel like an indie game made by less than 20 people. However it's vibe really clicks with me and arsing about in the world knocking off challenges is extremely fun. Im realizing that it's the exact game I wanted to play right now - as far as story depth, what it expects of you, how it's all delivered etc.

The last game that gave me the same kind of vibe as sonics open world was yokus island express - I loving loved that and even deleted my save to play from the start a few years after I'd beat it, which I never do. Something about it just resonates the same way.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Megasabin posted:

I’m about 15 hours into GoW and I really wish they actually came up with some new gameplay progression. I’m unlocking the same exact runic attacks from the first game at the same slow pace and it’s 15 hours into the sequel and I don’t have a heavy runic attack yet. Sequels are supposed to iterate on the gameplay:

Story is interesting so far and the base gameplay is fun enough to carry it, but I really feel like they could have done more/better in the gameplay design.

They added some runics to your regular moves (pretty good)

They also removed the granular moves for the shield and made them item based (loving awful)

They also removed some moves that used to link your combos which is baffling and a lot of this makes combat easier but more boring.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

cubicle gangster posted:

I picked up sonic last night after being in turmoil over liking what I'd seen but the middling reviews... It's loving great (with some big caveats)
It does feel like an indie game made by less than 20 people.

But it wasn't, though. Hundreds of people toiled at it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yoku's Island Express owned, though. A very good game. I think maybe my first platinum on the PS4.

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 14, 2022

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Fix posted:

But it wasn't, though. Hundreds of people toiled at it.

Yeah, but it feels like 20. That's my major gripe and it's fortunately one I can ignore.
The routes and things to do are more dense than that implies - I'm talking production values/polish only. Art assets, menus, some basic building blocks. There is a decent amount of content.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just an FYI I am not really reading the thread at the moment because I want people to be able to talk about Ragnarok but do not wish to get spoiled so I am unbookmarking for a while, but ONCE I have finished Wind Waker I am doing the first campaign of Shovel Knight and then Ragnarok so I will be able to come back!

Enjoy the games my friends!! :D

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Is anyone having a hard crash on PS5 with CODMW2? I think it might be the 120hz setting on my tv/on ps5. I've never had a problem with VRR etc. before. I've had a google but can't see anything specifically about it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't wait for more of Kratos' old poo poo to wash up in God of War 10. Got the Blade of Olympus and the Nemean Cestus.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kratos’ golden Hulk hands were my favourite weapon in GoW3

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just unlocked the GoW3-style roll, while is faster than walking, causing me to navigate the game world purely through rolling.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

no you can't, and ghost song is outstanding

I only played it for like an hour (just because I'm so backlogged otherwise I'd have played the whole thing but I'm probably going back to that after GOW and Signalis) and it seems cool, but one thing I couldn't believe was that a game with such detailed art would just mirror the character model when you turn. Her blaster arm is always in the far away hand regardless of which way you are facing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Phenotype posted:

Feels like they just plain don't work sometimes, either. Like I have a giant pink globe near the torch and clearly, clearly this globe that I'm igniting intersects with it, but nope, gently caress you, not lighting it. Gave up and looked up the solution to one Nornir chest that was bugging me, and I was actually doing the correct thing, they just wouldn't accept it unless my arrows were pixel perfect. Even after pausing the video showing where the arrows should be, it still took me two tries to get it.

You know you can shoot each pink thing 2 more times to make it bigger right?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

VideoGames posted:

Just an FYI I am not really reading the thread at the moment because I want people to be able to talk about Ragnarok but do not wish to get spoiled so I am unbookmarking for a while, but ONCE I have finished Wind Waker I am doing the first campaign of Shovel Knight and then Ragnarok so I will be able to come back!

You could read and concentrate on every post and in two years when you finally boot the game you’ll be all “Keaton’s had a SON?”

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Wait what

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I just figured this out myself tonight, or rather I knew you could make them bigger, what I didn’t realize is bigger ones still count as just a single pink thing as far as how many you can use at a time.

I think they disappear after a few seconds if they’re embiggened and also touching another one, but it takes those puzzles from frustratingly hairy to complete cakewalks.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I thought they just got bigger when you overlapped them as both a mechanic to chain them together and a visual clue that you’d managed to connect them correctly for some of the really lovely angles you get.

Do they really just get endlessly bigger if you keep hitting the centre, or are you just seeing the size increase they normally get when they overlap?

Edit: well poo poo, you can make them huge. This would have made a bunch of those puzzles less frustrating.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 14, 2022

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

2 in the pink huh

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kilometers Davis posted:

2 in the pink huh

3 if you really need to :heysexy:

e: The center part glows a bit if they’re overlapping but you can shoot the same spot up to three times for the actual area of effect to increase for each one.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

VideoGames posted:

But you're going to miss all my great posts about tactics ogre! Such as:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

gently caress this ragnarok game is cool

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I want to play the ragnarok.... but after tactics ogre I think I want to finally finish ac Valhalla instead :hurr:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I want to play the ragnarok.... but after tactics ogre I think I want to finally finish ac Valhalla instead :hurr:

wtf

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Ragnarok looks cool but £70 is a bit much, it's not even PS5 exclusive. Did anybody (in the UK) find it cheaper anywhere else? I don't know how long it takes for PS5 games to fall in price and I'd like to stay unspoiled this time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pierson posted:

Ragnarok looks cool but £70 is a bit much, it's not even PS5 exclusive. Did anybody (in the UK) find it cheaper anywhere else? I don't know how long it takes for PS5 games to fall in price and I'd like to stay unspoiled this time.

Buy PSN cards from shopto and it’s £60 and change, or ~£62 for a disc copy from base.com

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That's a bit better, thanks. I don't really wanna dip into the actual GoW thread because I'm sure it's black-bar hell so does the game contain twists/scenes/basically stuff that rewards going in blind? I got spoiled on (GOW 2018) the Loki reveal, Athena scene and Blades of Chaos stuff, basically everything last time because I held off buying.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I definitely wouldn’t have enjoyed it as much if I hadn’t gone in blind.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

That's a bit better, thanks. I don't really wanna dip into the actual GoW thread because I'm sure it's black-bar hell so does the game contain twists/scenes/basically stuff that rewards going in blind? I got spoiled on (GOW 2018) the Loki reveal, Athena scene and Blades of Chaos stuff, basically everything last time because I held off buying.

Yes, lots of great moments and going in blind is the best way to do it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pierson posted:

Ragnarok looks cool but £70 is a bit much, it's not even PS5 exclusive.

It's a big game, and also who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
How is Ragnarok on medium difficulty? I am enjoying the challenge of the second hardest mode but Kratos does seem to get stunlocked to death an annoying amount.