Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The highlight of the DX reunion for X-Pac was when Stone Cold somehow made the ceiling fall on him.

Edit: Then when he comes out later, he's all dusty.
https://youtu.be/SP3W_PIBRCA

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Incidentally, how did he ever even get a chance there? I remember enjoying Lightning Kid in GWF, but I don't know how some undersized guy on the indies had WWF like "yes. This is the guy we're going to have beat fuckin Razor."

He went to a tryout and had a match with Louie Spiccoli which was apparently pretty good (Louie was also trying out) and all I've seen is Waltman saying that if he had been put in with one of the random old jobbers at the time he might not have gotten signed.

As for the Razor thing, I dunno. Waltman says that it was Vince's plan from the start to present him initially as a jobber and then do the Razor Ramon match. So chalk it up to the one time Vince McMahon actually figured out how to do an underdog story correctly, I guess.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This was also still pretty early in Raw’s run and they wanted to show people that big and surprising things could happen because it was Uncut, Uncensored, and Uncooked. (Around this time they also had a match on Raw where Shawn lost the IC title to Marty Janetty, which was immediately reversed at a house show.)

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
That was on the same show.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rusty Shackelford posted:

That was on the same show.

Oh, right! Yeah the one episode where they wanted to make sure people were watching.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

When's the last time a major title changed hands at a house show? Did they air part of it at least? Feels like a relic of the pre-Internet days.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

When's the last time a major title changed hands at a house show? Did they air part of it at least? Feels like a relic of the pre-Internet days.

Andrade won the US title on a MSG house show in 2017. No idea if it aired because I'd stopped watching main roster WWE by then.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

edogawa rando posted:

I think it's a mixture of several factors. He's being (rightly) reappraised now and recognised as the incredible wrestler he was - I actually wonder how good he (along with Regal and Saturn, actually) would have been if they weren't out of their gourds on drugs half the time - but there was a serious and permanent shift in how the crowd perceived him during his feud with Kane.

It's probably a mix of his heel character just being a slimy, greasy gently caress. DX were always obnoxious, but during the early days of the Fac-geme, it really felt like he and the Outlaws turned it up way too far. Plenty of heels have done some horrible things, but with X-Pac, it honestly just felt different, you know? The Kane feud going on a month and change too long and artificially extended to WM2000 didn't help, nor did it blowing past at least two occasions where it would have been a logical blow-off point (the cage match at Armageddon '99, or the No Way Out 2000 match, where the wrong guy won).

Then you've got him seemingly never moving on from DX and perpetually playing the same character. Even when he got the X-Factor repackage, it just felt like the same old poo poo, but with a different colour palette.

He certainly wasn't an "incredible wrestler" by the time his heel stint in WWE came along, either. It's entirely possible he still had the talent by that point, but in addition to his obnoxious DX character getting extremely old by then, he really wasn't bringing much in the ring at that point. Bunch of goofy martial arts kicks, the Bronco Buster (a fad move which the crowd was now *extremely* sick of), weak-looking faceplant finisher, pin. Sure, this was the problem with every other wrestler in WWE by that point. But for a guy like Waltman, using a limited moveset really hid his strengths and pronounced his weaknesses, in a way that it didn't for the bigger guys.

And while he may have been a revolutionary cruiserweight when he was the 1-2-3 Kid, fans had seen much better cruiserweight wrestling by 2000, be it in WCW, ECW, or even in the WWE if they hadn't watched those other shows. The Hardy Boyz were like 60% of WWE's highlight reel by this point. Jericho, Guerrero, and Malenko had all come over. X-Pac, in addition to being uninteresting and unlikable as a character, just looked like a sub-par worker at this point, compared with the other talent they had on the roster.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

rujasu posted:

He certainly wasn't an "incredible wrestler" by the time his heel stint in WWE came along, either. It's entirely possible he still had the talent by that point, but in addition to his obnoxious DX character getting extremely old by then, he really wasn't bringing much in the ring at that point. Bunch of goofy martial arts kicks, the Bronco Buster (a fad move which the crowd was now *extremely* sick of), weak-looking faceplant finisher, pin. Sure, this was the problem with every other wrestler in WWE by that point. But for a guy like Waltman, using a limited moveset really hid his strengths and pronounced his weaknesses, in a way that it didn't for the bigger guys.

And while he may have been a revolutionary cruiserweight when he was the 1-2-3 Kid, fans had seen much better cruiserweight wrestling by 2000, be it in WCW, ECW, or even in the WWE if they hadn't watched those other shows. The Hardy Boyz were like 60% of WWE's highlight reel by this point. Jericho, Guerrero, and Malenko had all come over. X-Pac, in addition to being uninteresting and unlikable as a character, just looked like a sub-par worker at this point, compared with the other talent they had on the roster.

I gotta tell you baby, life's been good to me and I know that makes you mad 'cause that's something you can't see. I got everything I ever wanted and I'll never give that back. Oh, I know you hate X-factor but you ain't gotta look at me like that.
I said you ain't gotta look at me like that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

People love x-pac now because he got clean and had that badass match with El Generico in Chikara that one year and also because he carries a dog everywhere with him.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

xpac blew out his rear end in a top hat trying to do a bronco buster

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Another reason people love him, yes

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

He did a quick leg drop. Slid on his rear end along the ground

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
when I first heard about PAC I thought he was related to X-Pac or something, wrestling names are weird

So what does PAC actually mean?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

when I first heard about PAC I thought he was related to X-Pac or something, wrestling names are weird

iirc its what they called him in the dragongate dojo because of his abs

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

he had a six-pack when he was a kid so he got nicknamed that at school

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

he had a six-pack when he was a kid so he got nicknamed that at school

as a kid??? nuts

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Lily Catts posted:

as a kid??? nuts

He used to be a peculiarly swole little fellow. Well he still is, I guess. Swole Smol 4 Life

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fucksake I did it again

Yes PAC got on the juice aged 4

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It is such an applicable name for precisely nothing about him as a character yet obviously it is also true.

Well, being a muscle goblin to the extent that you had abs as a child does play into his character I suppose

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did Sting and Bret interact much in WCW? Mainly I'm asking if we ever got a big battle of the Scorpion Deathlock/Sharpshooter.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Did Sting and Bret interact much in WCW? Mainly I'm asking if we ever got a big battle of the Scorpion Deathlock/Sharpshooter.

They had some pretty boring matches.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Shame. I guess we need to fire up the time machine and convince one to jump in the early 90's for a baller Scorpion Deathlock vs. Sharpshooter angle.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

How many dream matches actually do live up to expectations?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

I think Jericho/Kenny off the top of my head if that counts. Kenny/Danielson?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

edogawa rando posted:

When they involve the best or close to the best wrestlers in the company they live up to expectations (Joe vs Kobashi, Benoit vs Hart, Mox vs Tanahashi) but if it's based on similar moves or gimmicks (Sting vs Hart, Bray vs Undertaker) they tend to be not so good, for obvious reasons. Sting being on a lot of drugs and Bret being less motivated and in the other case both guys being bad.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Chris Jericho vs Nick Gage was pretty awesome.

What about the Hardy Boyz vs Young Bucks? I didn’t see it, was that good?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Dave gave it **** but I don't remember enjoying it nearly that much. Bucks pulled a fine match out of a completely past their prime Hardys but nothing exceptional.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Sandman McMahon posted:

Chris Jericho vs Nick Gage was pretty awesome.

What about the Hardy Boyz vs Young Bucks? I didn’t see it, was that good?

I really liked it but I was in the building and having a great time. From what I've seen most were lukewarm on it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The first(?) Hardy/Bucks match in RoH was an absolute banger though

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

okay apparently not even close to their first match, but it was the supercard of honor ladder match from 2017

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

okay apparently not even close to their first match, but it was the supercard of honor ladder match from 2017

yah thats the good one i remember

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

History Comes Inside! posted:

People love x-pac now because he got clean and had that badass match with El Generico in Chikara that one year and also because he carries a dog everywhere with him.

Waltman's time in Chikara is weird to look back at in retrospect.

Starts with King of Trios 2011 where he's brought in as part of Team Minnesota with Chikara regulars Arik Cannon and Darin Corbin. Night 1's main event has them lose a great match to Team Michinoku Pro (Dick Togo, Jinsei Shinzaki, and The Great Sasuke). Waltman's wrestling as the 1-2-3 Kid for the first time in well over a decade and he's in fantastic shape. Post-match, he cuts a promo about how great everyone is and how much he appreciates the fans.

Night 2 has him in the Rey de Voladores tournament and he beats Frightmare, Obariyon, and Amazing Red. He once again cuts a promo about how much he appreciates everything. The next night he loses the finals to El Generico in an absolute banger. Once again, post-match promo about how much he appreciates everything. There was also footage of him backstage, rallying the locker room before one of the shows, which was probably needed since this was only a few days after Larry Sweeney died and everyone was pretty somber. Anyway, Waltman came out of the show looking fantastic and in the best shape he had been in in years.

A year later it's King of Trios 2012 and we get the fever dream match on Night 1 of Team ECW (Jerry Lynn, Tommy Dreamer, and Too Cold Scorpio) vs. Team WWF (1-2-3 Kid, Tatanka, and Justin Credible wearing the most homemade Aldo Montoya outfit you've ever seen). Team WWF lost and, as you can guess, Waltman did a post-match promo. It wasn't too pronounced due to it being a trios match, but Waltman had gained a good bit of weight and it did not look like the year was too good to him. The next night, he lost a singles match to Mr. Touchdown in a very quick and very bad match. Waltman looked out of shape and his promo afterwards was slurred nonsense.

On Night 3, he and Marty Jannetty showed up at the tail end of the Tag Gauntlet and won. This was to build up an iPPV match of 1-2-3 Kid/Jannetty vs. the Young Bucks for the tag titles because Quack loved him some New Generation and this was a dream match to him. Unfortunately, Waltman was having a rough year and Jannetty was over-the-hill, so this 2-out-of-3 falls match was a gigantic slog and the Bucks retained.

After Chikara did its year off storyline and came back, they had a wrestler named Prakash Sabar whose deal was that he was a masked, Middle Eastern knockoff of Waltman and was "Ex-Pakistan." I guess Quack just really wanted the payoff of Prakash vs. Waltman because he kept the gimmick around LONG after its expiration date. Long enough for Waltman to do commentary for one of Prakash's matches at one King of Trios, then finally beat him up during the 2016 year's Tag Gauntlet. It was Waltman's final appearance and it was pretty funny, as he had to genuinely explain to his partner Billy Gunn that, "No, seriously, this is NOT the crowd for your 'two words' bit."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

After Chikara did its year off storyline and came back, they had a wrestler named Prakash Sabar whose deal was that he was a masked, Middle Eastern knockoff of Waltman and was "Ex-Pakistan." I guess Quack just really wanted the payoff of Prakash vs. Waltman because he kept the gimmick around LONG after its expiration date. Long enough for Waltman to do commentary for one of Prakash's matches at one King of Trios, then finally beat him up during the 2016 year's Tag Gauntlet. It was Waltman's final appearance and it was pretty funny, as he had to genuinely explain to his partner Billy Gunn that, "No, seriously, this is NOT the crowd for your 'two words' bit."
I was there for this one and that bit was pretty funny and led to a "FAMILY FRIENDLY" chant from the crowd.

Daddy rear end seemed genuinely surprised that he couldn't do it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Endless Mike posted:

I was there for this one and that bit was pretty funny and led to a "FAMILY FRIENDLY" chant from the crowd.

Daddy rear end seemed genuinely surprised that he couldn't do it.

I'd be surprised too if I wasn't allowed to say suck it in front of a room full of middle aged men and sex pests.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

I'd be surprised too if I wasn't allowed to say suck it in front of a room full of middle aged men and sex pests.

Wow. Dick thing to say about me and Endless Mike.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

Wow. Dick thing to say about me and Endless Mike.

Endless Mike is a bully. I remember him having a sweet car though.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
We’re there ever any plans to do Sable vs Chyna? That seems like it would have been the biggest possible women’s match during the Attitude Era but I don’t remember them ever interacting, aside from maybe during the Mero/HHH feud.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CopywrightMMXI posted:

We’re there ever any plans to do Sable vs Chyna? That seems like it would have been the biggest possible women’s match during the Attitude Era but I don’t remember them ever interacting, aside from maybe during the Mero/HHH feud.

I remember an interview where Chyna said she was considered part of the men's division so their paths wouldn't cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Pretty sure Sable was gone well before Chyna started actually wrestling as well.