Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewybiteems
Mar 16, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

I did the first Super Sonic battle last night and I had to break my laughter up to explain to my wife why it suddenly having terrible rock music is actually tradition.

It's the perfect "this is so corny but if I was 8 years old I'd be screaming for joy and that's what makes it fun" thing. And honestly who am I to talk, it's just the first battle from Metal Gear Revengance with Sonic and that game slaps.

I did have to restart the fight once because I didn't understand that I was supposed to parry, not dodge, and I started with 50 rings which was a Bad Idea.

The Revengeance comparison is dead on - w/ the butt rock soundtrack it taps into the same hysterical giddiness of "my god this is so stupid and it OWNS". Raiden hopping from missile to missile and slicing a RAY in half from head to toe is an identical energy to Goku the Hedgehog having a Kamehameha tug of war with an EVA and it just rocked, humongous smile on my face the whole time. Pleased to report the game is Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Chewybiteems posted:

The Revengeance comparison is dead on - w/ the butt rock soundtrack it taps into the same hysterical giddiness of "my god this is so stupid and it OWNS". Raiden hopping from missile to missile and slicing a RAY in half from head to toe is an identical energy to Goku the Hedgehog having a Kamehameha tug of war with an EVA and it just rocked, humongous smile on my face the whole time. Pleased to report the game is Good

Hell, the third Titan fight is even more reminiscent of Rising what with Sonic turning its own weapon against it and splitting it right down the middle for the final blow

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 14, 2022

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What's up with Frontiers? Steam reviews are overwhelmingly positive (at 95%), while every single professional reviewer I've found has been making GBS threads on the game. Are the console releases broken or something or is just that Sonic Team got it right for their fans while missing their critics?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
professional media critics are godawful now + whenever a low budget game is better than the sum of it's parts it never registers in a game critic's mind because they are so IGNpilled that game criticism must be each individual aspect of a game (graphics/sound/gameplay/etc.) weighing against each other without considering how the whole of the game actually feels.

frontiers will probably fair better with the essay bros (not that you want to watch those either)

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 14, 2022

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

ZearothK posted:

What's up with Frontiers? Steam reviews are overwhelmingly positive (at 95%), while every single professional reviewer I've found has been making GBS threads on the game. Are the console releases broken or something or is just that Sonic Team got it right for their fans while missing their critics?

Reviewers don't really have fun.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ZearothK posted:

It's a matter of "is the game designed to technical precision and has a lot of mechanical depth" (no) versus "is it fun" (yes).

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The lead designer of the game says they're really looking into what people say about this game (this game is sorta a "rough draft" of sorts for a potentially much bigger game), and I really hope they're listening to fans and not the critics.

It is v.good but boy howdy the amount of support Sega gave the studio could've have been too much. So much of the game feels held together by decade old assets and code. It punches above it's weight with one arm tied behind it's back.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZearothK posted:

it isnt a sony game where youtubers explain puzzles to you every five seconds

jokes aside the critic reviews really arent that bad. its sitting in the 70s which isnt amazing but is a full 20 points above forces.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

With this and Ian Flynn staying on as writer hopefully Frontiers is indicative of what we can expect from the franchise going forward and they won’t backslide again

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
its kinda janky and a bit underbaked so if you aren't a sonic fan the game can be resoundingly mid. there is no conspiracy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and also all the people who are giving it like 2s and 1s are people who go out of their way to post poo poo like

a lower score is totally fair for it but the people giving it 1s and 2s are just ragebaiting, as proven by the fact that they go out of their way to argue with people about it

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The age and demographic cohort of people who grew up with Sonic Adventure games simply is not embedded in the games journalism industry. This game is designed to appeal to their tastes and has technical quirks and polish issues that turn off many reviewers. When you also factor in Sonic being a punching bag, clickbait/ragebait opportunities, personal taste, time crunch in a nightmarish enthusiast press, etc., it's not surprising at all that there's a gap between broad reported player satisfaction and published reviews from major outlets and key voices.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
bet none of those "professionals" even made it to the first boss

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

“Why is the game with janky graphics and recycled levels and assets getting mediocre critical reviews?”

(If you like it, great, but c’mon.)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The recycled levels thing is also a case where nobody reviewing these games is an old head speedrunner who can appreciate that the new Frontiers control scheme means that the "recycled" levels are basically new levels because you're playing as a different character with different tools.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They’re also entirely optional except for the first one

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

And for some people that isn’t good enough an excuse to recycle assets and level designs. Especially given this our 50th nostalgic return to Green Hill and Chemical Plant.

Even Cybershell complained because he felt the Frontiers control scheme did not mesh well with the level design from older games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I agree they could have been handled better but there’s at least a story reason for the rehashes and, again, it’s the most minor part of the game that can basically be skipped over entirely if you want

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

“Why is the game with janky graphics and recycled levels and assets getting mediocre critical reviews?”

last of us ps5 got 9s and 10s tho

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s still a part of the game and subject to criticism like anything else.

Like, the game is clearly a 7 or 8 for most people. There’s going to be outliers for people who hate or adore the franchise, but it’s not surprising that critical reception is going to be lower than reviews from fans who bought it on Steam.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s still a part of the game and subject to criticism like anything else.

Like, the game is clearly a 7 or 8 for most people. There’s going to be outliers for people who hate or adore the franchise, but it’s not surprising that critical reception is going to be lower than reviews from fans who bought it on Steam.

I think the reason it feels so odd for Sonic is that the adoring outliers are like... a pretty significant amount of people. And I don't even mean just the loud people review-boosting and yelling at reviewers on Twitter, I mean the people who consistently make Sonic games sell well despite their jankiness and full prices. The Sonic silent majority (lol).

There just aren't many mascot platformers that let you go fast, and there are even fewer that let you play as Sonic The Hedgehog specifically. People just seem to love the rodent enough to overlook his games being objectively messy.

(Note that I'm pretty sure a major Sonic fan demographic is "literal children", but I don't know the exact numbers on that. I'm curious if Sonic is particularly popular with kids or not compared to similar series).

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 14, 2022

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I’ve actually sidelined God of War to play Frontiers. It’s definitely a 7 or 8 at best, but there’s something I find more compelling about it than GoW, at least for the time being. It feels like something new and different, even if all of its working parts aren’t as refined or polished as they should be.

It’s got a real Dreamcast or B-tier PS2 game feel if that makes any sense.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Chewybiteems posted:

They even have the music sync up with the phase changes, it owns.

ZearothK posted:

The game is, all things considered, the definition of a 7/10 game. It is the most 7/10 game ever made. The general consensus among reviewers seems to be that it's a weird disjointed mess but that it's a solid foundation for a much better game that will hopefully come in the future if Sega isn't doesn't suddenly decide to ditch everything again, and yeah that's pretty spot on. The game is very flawed.
But it's gonna vary a lot how much the flaws with the game actually bother you, and if they don't bother you much you'll REALLY enjoy the game.
And for the Sonic fans in particular, this game brought back a lot of the things that made Sonic exciting. While games like Colors and Generations were great, they always felt like they had the wind sucked out of them a bit. They were very scaled-back and felt self-conscious about how troubled the series has been in the past, they didn't have that level of spectacle. Frontiers is the first 3D Sonic game in forever where it feels like they're really going big and have confidence in what they're doing, and even when it doesn't always land, that enthusiasm is infectious.

Endorph posted:

and also all the people who are giving it like 2s and 1s are people who go out of their way to post poo poo like

a lower score is totally fair for it but the people giving it 1s and 2s are just ragebaiting, as proven by the fact that they go out of their way to argue with people about it

I can't even imagine what kind of "agenda" they think the user score could be driven by besides "Sonic fans are really enthusiastic."

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Pigbuster posted:

(Note that I'm pretty sure a major Sonic fan demographic is "literal children", but I don't know the exact numbers on that. I'm curious if Sonic is particularly popular with kids or not compared to similar series).

When I saw Sonic 2 in theaters all the kids recognized Shadow so the lore is apparently still being disseminated among kids.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

If there is one major criticism I have so far its that getting places is fun but if you are trying to get to a specific place it's extremely hard to see which of the nine grindrails in the sky will get you there, with 8 of them shooting you at 6000mph in the other direction. There's a level portal in the first zone that I realized when I hit zone 2 I never even did because it was out on an island over an abyss and none of the infrastructure around it threw me in the right direction. I'm sure there is just a bounce pad somewhere to get there but I gave up and figured I would get another traversal method before the end of the level (I did not)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SF is the kind of game where if you like it you'll really enjoy and if you don't all of its many flaws will start to build up.

Unsurprisingly anyone who buys a new Sonic game is predisposed to either ignore or like the jank since it has been part of the franchise for a decade or more.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

the blue blur had a rocky transition to 3d, something something sonic 06, something something sonic boom, something something sonic mania, something something make fun of fanbase

SF feels like such an earnest attempt by Sonic team to make something fun and that should be commended- it's a blast!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
my biggest criticism is that you need to hit x then down then x to restart a level. it should just be down then x!!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

mycot posted:

When I saw Sonic 2 in theaters all the kids recognized Shadow so the lore is apparently still being disseminated among kids.
The Oral Tradition of Sonic Lore

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

10 year olds will think sonic adventure 2 is the coolest poo poo ever until the heat death of the universe i think

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

It is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

agreed

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Shadow is cool the kids are right

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Someone who says "I'm the coolest" is in fact the coolest, yes

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

You're not good enough to be his fI'll make you eat those words!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

I don’t think I can believe that game reviewers would be able to recognise that Cyberspace 2-4 or whatever is a recreation of Spagonia Act 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don’t think I can believe that game reviewers would be able to recognise that Cyberspace 2-4 or whatever is a recreation of Spagonia Act 3.

I mean I can confirm I did and I know several others did. The end bit is super obvious. didn't bug me though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So in terms of layout, does anyone have a list of all the levels that are referenced in this game out of curiosity (I’ve noticed Sky Rail, City Escape, Metal Harbor, Windmill Isle, and Rooftop Run based on the Cyberspace stages I actually played)?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vinylshadow posted:

Someone who says "I'm the coolest" is in fact the coolest, yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DjB8AvxVJ8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

black knight ruled because Sonic’s jrpg party was made up of knuckles, shadow, and blaze, the coolest sonic characters