Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Dan Proft is angry about how this election ended:

https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1590539443353837568?s=20&t=kJdiPBUwxK37mO6SvJ5_Cw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

It’s this kind of false, inflammatory divisive rhetoric that just stokes the flames of partisanship.

Everyone knows Proft is running to Florida. That’s obviously Darren Bailey.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Oracle posted:

It’s this kind of false, inflammatory divisive rhetoric that just stokes the flames of partisanship.

Everyone knows Proft is running to Florida. That’s obviously Darren Bailey.

I thought Darren Bailey got sent back to the old west as a Cherokee.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

They literally think that they themselves (and myself and my family) are only worth $1. loving pathetic assholes.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Being tired of the people that sustain you is a time honored tradition and begins in childhood.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Millions of us!
Like 3?
Because 9 of the 12 in the whole state live in the part you don't like.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I don't think the college towns want to be part of chudlandia either

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I for one am worth at least $3.50 and will not accept a penny less.

Millions for grifting but not a penny for taxes

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm confused, is LaSalle county in this sale or not?

I question the legitimacy of this border they've created.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
There are dozens of us!

Literally dozens!

Edit: they can't just secede because without the tax revenue from the Chicago area, they would be West Virginia.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Nail Rat posted:

There are dozens of us!

Literally dozens!

Edit: they can't just secede because without the tax revenue from the Chicago area, they would be West Virginia.

YOU know that, and I know that, and the THREAD knows that . . . but do THEY know that?

I suspect some of their leadership does, but when I lived in Central IL I frequently heard "We should get rid of Chicago, make it its own state, they're stealing all our tax dollars!"

To be honest, I didn't know any better until I found this thread (or, more likely, one of the previous iterations thereof) and that image in the OP and I was like "Holy poo poo lmao, you mean to tell me the same guys that told me getting a raise would net me less money were wrong about this aspect of taxes as well??!?!?! I'll be damned."

Edit: Looking at the map again, they weren't wrong that THEIR tax dollars probably weren't staying at home, but they were absolutely incorrect on where they were actually going.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 10, 2022

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

HootTheOwl posted:

Millions of us!
Like 3?
Because 9 of the 12 in the whole state live in the part you don't like.

There’s millions of us! *Checks to make sure they included Peoria, Bloomington Normal, and Champaign Urbana.* Millions!

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
With the various stories about how NY Dems likely are to blame for potentially losing the house and just generally being incompetent, really Illinois D's should be getting an awful lot more credit.

https://twitter.com/JakeSheridan_/status/1590703596948975616

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Clouseau posted:

With the various stories about how NY Dems likely are to blame for potentially losing the house and just generally being incompetent, really Illinois D's should be getting an awful lot more credit.

https://twitter.com/JakeSheridan_/status/1590703596948975616

I'm conditioned to assume that when you juxtapose the headline like this you're making fun of it and I don't get the joke.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

They literally think that they themselves (and myself and my family) are only worth $1. loving pathetic assholes.

"Not accepting offers from Indiana. Yeah, you're a red state and all, but still, just no. Ew."

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Illinois Democrats really don't gently caress around, it's really a nice change from the rest of the party.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Illinois Democrats really don't gently caress around, it's really a nice change from the rest of the party.

Now if only the rest of the country would sit up and take notice instead of being all ‘oh, New York’ and ‘oh, California.’
That said, you’ll take my large and in charge big boy governator over my cold dead body.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It's a drat shame the progressive tax failed last time, but other than that JB 's been really solid

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

They’ve taken the cutthroat approach of Chicago politics statewide. Although I guess that’s been going on for a while, but now it seems like they’re really trying to bury the republicans. So frustrating to see so many other state parties suck so much.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

brugroffil posted:

It's a drat shame the progressive tax failed last time, but other than that JB 's been really solid

The ads for it were awful compared to the Workers amendment one.

Progressive tax: annoying music, text on screen, no spoken words, no people

Workers rights: people talking about the workers rights amendments and how it will help nurses and stuff like that

Almost like they didn’t want the progressive tax to actually pass :tinfoil:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hell of a conspiracy that's anti progressive taxation but pro workers rights

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Badger of Basra posted:

Yeah, maybe it was just gross incompetence, I dunno.

The ads were terrible and they did nothing to counter the bullshit mustache man ads saying, “this would allow them to raise taxes whenever they want!”

Should’ve had JB rip through that clip and say, “Guess what Illinois, we can already raise your taxes whenever we want! But we can’t raise taxes on rich people like me while keeping your taxes the same. So come on Illinois, here’s your chance to raise MY taxes, not yours! Vote Yes!”

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the average person has absolutely no idea how a progressive tax works

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

FuturePastNow posted:

the average person has absolutely no idea how a progressive tax works

The average person doesn’t understand how taxes work period.

I had to explain how our tax system worked to someone a couple days ago and it blew their mind.

For those that don’t know and frankly I don’t blame you since they don’t teach you this stuff anywhere.

Let’s say the tax brackets are as such;

$0 - $10,000 - 5%

$10,001 - $20,000 - 6%

If you make $10,000 income in one year, your entire income will be taxed at 5%. ($500)

If you make $15,000, your first $10,000 will be taxed at 5% and the remaining $5,000 will be taxed at 6%. 5% of 10,000 = 500. 6% of 5000 = 300. Total tax paid is 500 + 300 = $800. You do NOT get taxed 6% for the entirety of your income. If you did, it would amount to $900.

It is incredibly complicated and I believe that is done on purpose to try and stop people from making more money. I have known plenty of people who have turned down raises and/or overtime in the past because they were worried about taxes. It is also why lowering taxes on the wealthy is such an awful idea.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bird in a Blender posted:

They’ve taken the cutthroat approach of Chicago politics statewide. Although I guess that’s been going on for a while, but now it seems like they’re really trying to bury the republicans. So frustrating to see so many other state parties suck so much.

They've done it while dumping Madigan, too. The GOP lost their Boogeyman

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Djarum posted:

The average person doesn’t understand how taxes work period.

I had to explain how our tax system worked to someone a couple days ago and it blew their mind.

For those that don’t know and frankly I don’t blame you since they don’t teach you this stuff anywhere.

Let’s say the tax brackets are as such;

$0 - $10,000 - 5%

$10,001 - $20,000 - 6%

If you make $10,000 income in one year, your entire income will be taxed at 5%. ($500)

If you make $15,000, your first $10,000 will be taxed at 5% and the remaining $5,000 will be taxed at 6%. 5% of 10,000 = 500. 6% of 5000 = 300. Total tax paid is 500 + 300 = $800. You do NOT get taxed 6% for the entirety of your income. If you did, it would amount to $900.

It is incredibly complicated and I believe that is done on purpose to try and stop people from making more money. I have known plenty of people who have turned down raises and/or overtime in the past because they were worried about taxes. It is also why lowering taxes on the wealthy is such an awful idea.

Good countries just auto calculate that stuff and send you a postcard and you're done.

No other way to do progressive taxation without creating actual negative cliffs. You have to tax chunks of income differently otherwise the fear of "if I get a raise I'll make less money!" would actually happen.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Badger of Basra posted:

Is it? Unions care more about membership than tax structure?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Is it? Unions care more about membership than tax structure?

It's this. Unions, except for teachers unions, are pretty conservative outside of bargaining rights and minimum wage. Plenty of union local bosses are making 6 figures.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

brugroffil posted:

Good countries just auto calculate that stuff and send you a postcard and you're done.

No other way to do progressive taxation without creating actual negative cliffs. You have to tax chunks of income differently otherwise the fear of "if I get a raise I'll make less money!" would actually happen.

I’m pretty sure, speaking as a preparer, that what keeps throwing people like this, is their REFUND goes down sometimes with more income. Which, yeah, if you get enough income to phase out of earned income tax credit and/or other credits, you may see a lower refund because we have a lot of stuff set up to give higher refunds to poorer people because they kind of need the extra money to live. Add in not adjusting withholding enough for changes, and they see lower refunds/balances due and complain about how high their taxes are. Never mind the fact ideally you’d want a refund of $0 because that means you didn’t waste excess money from your paycheck. It’s not the most annoying misconception I have to deal with (that’s probably the people who think I know some magic to make the IRS obey me), but “my refund is lower so taxes bad” sure is up there.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

And a week and a half later they’d be bitching about all their taxes going to St. Louis.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Geshtal posted:

And a week and a half later they’d be bitching about all their taxes going to St. Louis.

When I was a small Chicago child, "Going to St. Louis" is what my dad said poop did when I flushed the toilet. Your statement works on multiple levels, nice!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Technically,

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the poo poo canal takes it to the Des Plaines river which takes it to the Mississippi so yes Chicago turds go to St Louis

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
St Louis sued to prevent the opening of the sanitary and ship canal because they saw a literal river of poo poo heading their way. Chicago just opened it up in the middle of the night before the court decision was announced.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

borkencode posted:

St Louis sued to prevent the opening of the sanitary and ship canal because they saw a literal river of poo poo heading their way. Chicago just opened it up in the middle of the night before the court decision was announced.

This city knows how to get poo poo done.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Uh excuse me couple corrections there

1) we didn't just open the canal we dynamited the last barriers a month before the court ruling would have been issued

2) water testing show that the Mississippi above St Louis was already as polluted as what was coming from Chicago (the firm doing the testing was from Chicago but still)

3) St Louis never sought permission from any downstream city before they started dumping their sewage in. Hypocrites!

no skateboarding EVER!
Apr 21, 2003
Jagermeister & schadenfreude.
I have nothing to add about the history of St. Louis/Chicago feces but I wanted to contribute that the Centennial bicycle trail that runs between the Des Plaines River and the Chicago Sanitary & Ship Canal is my favorite bike trail in northern Illinois. It doesn't smell like poo poo but sometimes you see strange items dumped alongside the waterways. Goes from Willow Springs to Romeoville.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Capitol Fax guy reposted this so I’m going to say it’s credible

https://mobile.twitter.com/FrankCalabrese/status/1592181607330623489

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What the heck is your problem, DuPage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

xzzy posted:

What the heck is your problem, DuPage.

Rich people. Naperville is one of the richest cities in the nation, plus Oak Brook has million dollar condominiums in a high rise.