Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Controversy creates cash!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Digital Jedi posted:

aww that's a good doggo

What's the dog's name?

Dog Meltzer

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...nt=share_button

Rene Dupree takes a quick break from a podcast interview to (presumably) do a line of coke

Sad to see as he's apparently had issues with addiction in the past

lmao
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/yrwsac/rene_dupree_addresses_the_controversy/

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Phew, that's a relief.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

This is fuckin' hilarious, what a weird thing

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I don't see how a wrestler potentially doing coke is news unless they go full Bootyman and manage to shut down a vital piece of infrastructure

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Dave described the extent he went to to get his scoops when he was fifteen on the start of the latest episode and holy poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Punch McLightning posted:

Dave described the extent he went to to get his scoops when he was fifteen on the start of the latest episode and holy poo poo.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
could you talk about it for those of us in the thread? I don't have the observer in my rotation but i would really love to hear about this.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ya’ll got anymore of them scoops?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

lmao

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Dave told a story about how he found out who the Masked Invaders in San Francisco were when he was 14 by hanging out with female fans that would be called ring rats in a different time. They all traveled to Sacramento or some other nearby town and the women slept with them. The wrestlers kept their masks on during the act. Once the men passed out, the fans would get up, find their wallets, and looking at the wrestlers' IDs so they'd know their real name.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Dave hanging out with the groupies was how he found out Patt Patterson was gay. Also the groupies were depressingly young. But the old days California wrestling scene had a more enlightened than typical viewpoint on homosexuality because Patterson was so over, on the positive side

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jim Valley had a great bit on Jeff Jarrett in AEW on WOL today, well worth listening to.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Is Dave in California? Wherever Dave is

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Trying posted:

Also the groupies were depressingly young.

Dave regularly says things along the lines of how if modern standards were applied to workers from the 80s in terms of not being sex pests, you would have no fond memories of old wrestling. I finally figured out today that there's a specific reason for him saying that - he saw it himself, and specifically he saw it when he himself was very young.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Jim Valley had a great bit on Jeff Jarrett in AEW on WOL today, well worth listening to.

I would if they'd put the Saturday WOLs on youtube

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

mooseinfants posted:

He mentioned he has it up on his own Youtube, not sure if he archives it or if it is just a live thing or not.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The big take away from today WOR is I now want Dave and Bryan to cover pickelball

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Dave told a story about how he found out who the Masked Invaders in San Francisco were when he was 14 by hanging out with female fans that would be called ring rats in a different time. They all traveled to Sacramento or some other nearby town and the women slept with them. The wrestlers kept their masks on during the act. Once the men passed out, the fans would get up, find their wallets, and looking at the wrestlers' IDs so they'd know their real name.

It struck me hearing this the parallels between the beginning of the Wrestling Observer and the plot of Almost Famous.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
There’s a lot of overlap there

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
This makes me think less of Dave, not more

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The big take away from today WOR is I now want Dave and Bryan to cover pickelball

Did you see the pickleball game last night?

Mmm....... no.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dave regularly says things along the lines of how if modern standards were applied to workers from the 80s in terms of not being sex pests, you would have no fond memories of old wrestling. I finally figured out today that there's a specific reason for him saying that - he saw it himself, and specifically he saw it when he himself was very young.

90s too. I don't know about WWF & WCW but I have heard some rumours about ECW & lets just say about wrestlers not being overly concerned with the age of consent in PA. I won't say names because it's both only rumours & my memory is pretty shoddy on the details anyway but yeah, watching shoot videos from wrestlers around in the '80s & '90s far too often involves things that make you appalled.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

mooseinfants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MYmlXbOvJs

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This was at least known for several years because I found someone quoting me and talking about this in this very thread from 2018.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Yeah it's been known a long time that Dave got his early dirtsheet advantage as a kid/teen reporter by tapping into a pre-existing gossip network by befriending the girls who went to as many shows as he did and gave him rides to those same shows.

I don't think he constructed a honey pot like some have suggested but that there was an informal network of underage girls who slept with wrestlers and enjoyed being able to pierce the veil of kayfabe/getting the kudos from trading the deep gossip on wrestling with each other. I've seen similar patterns from women who are deeply plugged into male dominated comedy, music, and club scenes. I think he managed to access that network by being an unthreatening kid with a genuine shared interest in wrestling and listened seriously to what they were telling him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GoutPatrol posted:

This was at least known for several years because I found someone quoting me and talking about this in this very thread from 2018.

I always remembered this story being about how the identities of wrestlers in Mexico were discovered but maybe it's the case with how he's found out identities in both places.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

fez_machine posted:

Yeah it's been known a long time that Dave got his early dirtsheet advantage as a kid/teen reporter by tapping into a pre-existing gossip network by befriending the girls who went to as many shows as he did and gave him rides to those same shows.

Cameron Crowe needs to make a sequel to Almost Famous but set in the wrestling industry.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
San Jose is a hugely Hispanic city, and while I can't speak for the scene decades ago, at the moment there's a massive crossover with Mexican lucha libre here. I see more posters for lucha shows with wrestlers that I'd mostly never heard of before who do mostly work in Mexico than there are with more typical American indie names. Mind, I also live in a mostly Hispanic neighborhood, so that's a large part of that. The point is, there's a lot of crossover and I bet that's been the case for decades. (haven't gotten to go yet because I was horrible at meeting people, got better, and immediately covid happened)

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

flashy_mcflash posted:

Cameron Crowe needs to make a sequel to Almost Famous but set in the wrestling industry.

Almost Over

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Hold me closer Blackjack Lanza

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seams posted:

Almost Over

Almost Super Hero

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TL posted:

Hold me closer Blackjack Lanza

Ahaha

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Deadlock is not up yet in my app

Where's my slop i want my slop

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

It’s up for me via Overcast. 🤷‍♂️

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

It's up in mine (Doggcatcher) as of about 2 hours ago.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

the slop is good but Johnny saying Dynamite sucks had triggered me greatly this morning. Think i might sign up again and say he likes toes or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah its up now, whining gets the goods i guess. Plus, it's an 07 TNA episode, always hilarious material.