Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Randalor posted:

Weren't the Kurds supposed to be decent allies? I mean, before the US stopper supporting them.

Decent, yes, useful, no. It’s the realpolitik bullshit that tries to justify attaching ourselves to these nightmare regimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"Dubai: Not only is anything and everything we do an opulent, obnoxious dick-wave to show how much money we have, but we also gently caress with America's elections!"

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Basticle posted:

Are...are there good regional allies in the middle east?

Winston Churchill, ladies and gentlemen!

America has shown that it will tolerate foreign interference in our elections for some time now. PACs, dark money, etc etc. Anyone without their fingers on the scale stand a good chance of getting frozen out. This isn't to say its right or acceptable, its not, but it's reality.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 13, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Dubai: Not only is anything and everything we do an opulent, obnoxious dick-wave to show how much money we have, but we also gently caress with America's elections!"

Playing around in US politics is just another way to use money.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Dollars are votes, and they get to ignore apportionment and gerrymandering.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Explosion in Turkey. No one has claimed responsibility but, the Turkish government is calling it an attack.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63615076

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Grip it and rip it posted:

Winston Churchill, ladies and gentlemen!

America has shown that it will tolerate foreign interference in our elections for some time now. PACs, dark money, etc etc. Anyone without their fingers on the scale stand a good chance of getting frozen out. This isn't to say its right or acceptable, its not, but it's reality.

can you really call it "interference" in a post-Citizens United world

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Zamujasa posted:

can you really call it "interference" in a post-Citizens United world

sure can when that money comes from foreign nationals

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Basticle posted:

Iran, apparently. If they can sort out their theocracy issues, maybe we'll see Iranians going back to being the bluejeans-wearing US arms clients they used to be.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Basticle posted:

Egypt and Jordan.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
***Kramers into the room***

Anyone mention Israel yet?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Sexual Lorax posted:

sure can when that money comes from foreign nationals

What about when foreign nationals funnel money to American citizens ostensibly for investment purposes but really in the interest of having some of those funds diverted into forming a super pac?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Dance Officer posted:

Egypt and Jordan.

Egypt is a whiny basket case of a country that throws temper tantrums and threatens to align itself with Russia any time a U.S. diplomat raises the slightest objection to its atrocious human rights record.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Yes and it's stayed aligned with the US since, what, the 70s? Both sides are playing pretend, nothing more.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
lol Saudi Arabia has been openly loving the US any way it can for ages, idk why it surprises anyone

see: sucking SW US aquifers dry to irrigate livestock feed

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

What about when foreign nationals funnel money to American citizens ostensibly for investment purposes but really in the interest of having some of those funds diverted into forming a super pac?

no idea honestly but if one layer of money laundering like that is enough to stump investigators we probably deserve what we get

id be interested in learning more about low profile foreign election interference charges but my gut says theyd wind up as people on the us citizen side getting popped for not registering as a foreign agent for lobbying purposes or whatever

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/dogstar7tweets/status/1591992277983203329

:dogbutton:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Something something golden calfs

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CommieGIR posted:

Something something golden calfs

The aluminium mooncalf.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017184

There's a photoshop phriday thread in gbs about the goat rocket

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I liked with how crypto had folk handwaving stuff like “this exchange was originally for selling magic cards,” or “this fund’s founder may not really exist,” or “everyone involved in this fund lives somewhere far outside the reach of litigation” as long as numbers were going up.

Even better: it wasn't for real Magic cards, it was for cards in Magic: The Gathering Online. Obviously a trustworthy institution to put all your money in.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Floodkiller posted:

Even better: it wasn't for real Magic cards, it was for cards in Magic: The Gathering Online. Obviously a trustworthy institution to put all your money in.

Oh yes, the game they have rebooted and taken away all your cards in at least once

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Mtgox feels like another lifetime ago

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Well I was just now years old when the Mtgox name suddenly made sense. I didn't know about the MTG thing lmao

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Coasterphreak posted:

lol Saudi Arabia has been openly loving the US any way it can for ages, idk why it surprises anyone

see: sucking SW US aquifers dry to irrigate livestock feed

I'd like to know more.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Floodkiller posted:

Ahahaha I didn’t know that

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yup. It was Magic: The Gathering Online - eXchange.

Mark Karpeles didn’t start it, but rather bought it after it had already pivoted to bitcoin iirc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MA-Horus posted:

Mtgox feels like another lifetime ago

I'll say. There's whole new generations of cryptobro that don't even know about it. I was trying to explain to one why I had been loosely following along with cryptonews without telling them about SA but had never bought into it. When I mentioned that the 1st big red flag on it was their most popular exchange site for years being repurposed from MTGO they had no idea.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

A.o.D. posted:

I'd like to know more.

Ag stuff like alfalfa and almonds take a lot of water and are exported due to market price. Saudi Arabia and China invest in producers to increase food security in their country. It is basically just exporting water.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

lightpole posted:

Ag stuff like alfalfa and almonds take a lot of water and are exported due to market price. Saudi Arabia and China invest in producers to increase food security in their country. It is basically just exporting water.

More. What percentage of western aquifer produce is funded by Saudi Princes? How dependant are they on US production?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

lightpole posted:

That doesn't sound sinister at all?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

probably why coasterphreak said it a different way when they brought it up

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Its not some sinister plot as much as market inefficiencies and poor water policy. In any length of time its extremely bad for the environment as aquifers are a limited resource.

A slightly different can of worms would be water policy on Pacific Islands since those rely on aquifers as well and their collapse would make fresh water almost impossible to get.

A.o.D. posted:

More. What percentage of western aquifer produce is funded by Saudi Princes? How dependant are they on US production?

That was just a nutshell view. I think the economist has decent articles on it but you might have to do your own research. As far as food security, it should be obvious that SA is almost 100% reliant on food imports.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lightpole posted:

As far as food security, it should be obvious that SA is almost 100% reliant on food imports.

I initially read this as a slam about forums posters living entirely off pizza until I remembered Saudi Arabia.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/11/10/legoland-south-korea-bond-market-crisis/

quote:

Imagine the turmoil if a newly elected president of the United States announced that the U.S. government would no longer honor any outstanding Treasury bills because most of them were issued under his profligate predecessor. That’s essentially what Kim Jin-tae, the governor of South Korea’s Gangwon province, did. In doing so, Kim sparked a nationwide credit crisis that is spreading internationally, in the most farcical and unnecessary economic self-destruction this side of Liz Truss.

By itself, extending the due date for the bonds would have cost Gangwon a bit, but it would have stayed contained. Kim’s move, however, has shattered trust in government bonds. In the South Korean bond market, a local government guarantee was previously enough to ensure a bond got the highest rating, approaching the safety of South Korea’s national government bond. By withdrawing Gangwon’s guarantee, Kim demonstrated that a local government’s guarantee could evaporate for a purely political reason.

But the fallout is not limited to local government bonds; it impacts the whole of South Korea’s bond market, worth more than $2 trillion. Corporate bonds are considered less safe than local government bonds. If few buyers are brave enough to buy local government bonds under these conditions, even fewer buyers can muster enough courage to buy corporate bonds. One of the safest corporate bonds in South Korea is issued by Korea Electric Power Corp. (KEPCO). The returns for KEPCO’s three-year bond had climbed from 2.184 percent to 5.825 percent since the beginning of this year. But in its latest issuance, the KEPCO three-year bond worth 200 billion won (about $146 million) could not find a buyer.

Unable to find liquidity either inside of the country or out, South Korea is now facing a nationwide credit crunch. South Korean financial institutions have stopped offering auto loans, as interest rates have climbed to a prohibitive level. Many of South Korea’s housing redevelopment plans, which often cost hundreds of millions of dollars to turn old houses into new high-rises, are being suspended because they cannot find financing, putting enormous pressure on South Korea’s real estate market, which has been losing value at a record pace.

South Korean media have compared Kim to disgraced former British Prime Minister Liz Truss, an apt analogy. For purely political reasons, both leaders caused an entirely gratuitous self-inflicted wound to their countries’ economies, destroying trust in what was supposed to be a sure thing—pension funds for Truss, government-backed bonds for Kim. The same lesson applies to Britain, South Korea, and everywhere: Electing bad politicians leads to a bad economy.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Gotta read that article for the true hook

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I don't dare log out.

https://twitter.com/IanColdwater/status/1592188128944705537

https://twitter.com/Cartoonbrains/status/1592233920036315138

Also unclear if he outright fired an engineer that called him on his bullshit in public after ol' Elon decided to vibes out his mouthhole.

https://twitter.com/ShivAroor/status/1592201321830322176

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Let me guess, he saw the list of "bloatware" that was abbreviations, didn't know what any of them meant and rather than ask what they meant, just assumed they were unneeded and broke another chunk of Twitter by disabling/deleting them.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Randalor posted:

Let me guess, he saw the list of "bloatware" that was abbreviations, didn't know what any of them meant and rather than ask what they meant, just assumed they were unneeded and broke another chunk of Twitter by disabling/deleting them.

It appears to be something dumb like that.

https://twitter.com/zachsilberberg/status/1592228112770924544

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1592207891624505345

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

SSL? SSH? Sounds like bloatware to my ears!