Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Ups_rail posted:

but will there be sinks?

HR REP 1: ...with that last signature we've concluded the offboarding procedure, so *begins rising from their seat*...

HR REP 2: *clears throat*

HR REP 1: ...right *sits back down*. The new owner, Donny "Downtown" Donaldson, wants us to personally assure you that, while unfortunate, this downsizing is both epic and for the win, and that it in no way reflects you yourself being fail or owned. Furthermore *sighs, pushes plastic baggie across the table* as a gesture Mr. Donaldson would also like us to present you with this bacon, which is similarly epic and for the win.

HR REP 2: It's very epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yThfdrdFL8

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

World cup might legitimately destroy twitter, especially since Elon Musk is killing all the back-ups.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mysterious frankie posted:

HR REP 1: ...with that last signature we've concluded the offboarding procedure, so *begins rising from their seat*...

HR REP 2: *clears throat*

HR REP 1: ...right *sits back down*. The new owner, Donny "Downtown" Donaldson, wants us to personally assure you that, while unfortunate, this downsizing is both epic and for the win, and that it in no way reflects you yourself being fail or owned. Furthermore *sighs, pushes plastic baggie across the table* as a gesture Mr. Donaldson would also like us to present you with this bacon, which is similarly epic and for the win.

HR REP 2: It's very epic.

I forgot bacon was a meme....I expect you as a goon to reply with "all your bases"

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

World cup might legitimately destroy twitter, especially since Elon Musk is killing all the back-ups.

Sorry for the double post

Can you explain this please?

Anychance jeff could make SA a back up?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"""brand safety""" is 99% fake made-up bullshit
but so is internet advertising in general

If you want to learn more about it look up IAS. Say what you want but if advertisers hold back dollars then bullshit or not it has an impact on spend.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/ericfrohnhoefer/status/1591902285403418624?s=46&t=jHpjZU76BW9acH1qNXm2SA

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1592186302379982849?s=46&t=jHpjZU76BW9acH1qNXm2SA

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ups_rail posted:

The world cup is a football tournament enjoyed by at least a few hundred people

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kazil posted:

The world cup is a football tournament enjoyed by at least a few hundred people

what part of the superbowl is that?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Data Graham posted:

quote:

Asked what it felt like to be a “media mogul” after buying Twitter he said: “It is a medium as opposed to media"
OH MY GOD this loving dweeb

It's text, video and audio. That qualifies as media, I'd think.

Multimedia, even.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Correcting your boss: fireable offense.

The narcissism is pooling on the floor at this point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Getting in a public twitter fight with your boss has always been a career-limiting move

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ups_rail posted:

Even when Twitter had staff that knew how everything worked the world cup traffic nearly crushed it. Now that the infrastructure team consists of 3 guys standing outside the server room trying to figure out who knows the cipher lock code, things don't bode well

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Lmao you could sniff out who still works for Twitter and spoof some DMs critical of Musk, post at him, and get randos fired. Incredible

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Data Graham posted:

quote:

Asked what it felt like to be a “media mogul” after buying Twitter he said: “It is a medium as opposed to media"
OH MY GOD this loving dweeb

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So is the guy double fired or does Musk not realize he fired everyone with experience?

Either way, it's a beautiful example of the high quality of Musk’s management style that has made his companies the enormous successes that they are as long as you don't look at what they produce.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elon definitely gave some rando chud stan a lifetime memory by taking his advice to fire the guy though

He's like Willy Wonka

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Azhais posted:

Even when Twitter had staff that knew how everything worked the world cup traffic nearly crushed it. Now that the infrastructure team consists of 3 guys standing outside the server room trying to figure out who knows the cipher lock code, things don't bode well

good point but what if, and hear me out here. Elon used hyper dojo nerual network starshit X link to make that not happen?

the fucker had no plan, no plan at all

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013
“I’m really working at the absolute most amount that I can work from morning til night, seven days a week. So, this is not something I’d recommend, frankly,” he said.

What is that, ~10 hour days during the winter? Lmfao, get bent failman. And by “work” you mean being catered to 24/7, shitposting on the internet, and making decisions that have terrible outcomes because you. just. can’t. stop. and. listen? Insert all the comments about people that actually, you know, work for a living. 2 jobs sometimes even.

This comment alone has pushed me from “lol this is funny” to “gently caress this guy”.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

the screenshot version:

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1592177471654604800

Just turn em off. Useless cruft.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CommieGIR posted:

80% of their outsourced staff, but yeah that's a significant amount.

Yeah, realised after I posted it wasn't full-time staff.

But, a quick google tells me that Musk has fired at least 3800 of the 7500 full-time employees and 4400 of the 5500 contract employees. So, that's 8200 out of 13000 total staff.

Which is 63%. Let's call it ⅔ of everyone.

Fukken lol.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Ups_rail posted:

I forgot bacon was a meme....I expect you as a goon to reply with "all your bases"

I was told I am protected, and yet, here we are.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

app wont last until the world cup

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1591842546216763399?s=20&t=xMGQS0Wsg6-8ZJ_EUwfiYQ

Gonna Weekend-at-Bernie's this site into profitability

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Tiny Timbs posted:

Getting in a public twitter fight with your boss has always been a career-limiting move
Almost certainly that guy will go on to better positions because being fired by tweet by a guy having the biggest meltdown since Chernobyl will be a badge of honor at this point. Imagine contradicting Ken Lay publicly as Enron collapses or raising concerns about your subprime mortgages at Countrywide.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I had to double check if this was a fake account. Well, how popular was Twitter in those countries, anyway? Who needs those people who won't pay $8?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ups_rail posted:

Systems act differently under heavy load, developers have been forced to make rapid changes, and they are lacking a bunch of people with key knowledge. I could see a database being corrupted, and them being utterly hosed because there is no redundancy. They might have to do a major rollback (which would cause further problems) or take down twitter while they try and figure what is loving up the system.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 14, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Is anyone taking bets as to whether Twitter makes it to the end of the year?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like a job for TEAM BARRY!!!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There's no way anyone would have thought about deleting things before and found good reasons not to.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Turns out everyone who was giving them six months were being optimistic.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

goatface posted:

There's no way anyone would have thought about deleting things before and found good reasons not to.

I mean 99% of them are probably for ad tracking so the good reason would be more along the lines of "this makes us money" than "this makes the app nice to use"

But hey we know Elon's not in this to make money right

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Would be funny if they remove "the cruft" and some national security services start asking what happened to their backdoors.

That would amuse me.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
huh is he gonna publish the algorithms remember he said they should be open sourced

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

goatface posted:

Would be funny if they remove "the cruft" and some national security services start asking what happened to their backdoors.

That would amuse me.

It's going to turn out that some of that stuff was load bearing in ways that only two people at the company might have understood, but they've been fired.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Yeah Twitter is almost certainly a very complex beast with a lot of legacy code that doesn’t do anything, at a glance. But of course if you fire over half of the staff and most of your contractors, the pool of people in the company who can say “oh man don’t turn that off, it’s important” is dwindling to zero. (Then again, Musk would fire anyone who would say that to him anyway.)

I have no doubt twitter’s code is not well optimized in some ways. The answer to that is a slow, carefully planned infrastructure revamp over the course of years, not just turning random microservices off.

That all comes to a head during big events such as the World Cup where every mitigation and loan balancing strategy are leaned on to the absolute limits.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

goatface posted:

That would amuse me.

It would 100% explain why the bloatware is country specific and nobody seems to know what it does.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/lancereddick/status/1591482835822866433

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We were, but I think most of us were assuming 2023, not like "Maybe tomorrow"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Yeah Twitter is almost certainly a very complex beast with a lot of legacy code that doesn’t do anything, at a glance. But of course if you fire over half of the staff and most of your contractors, the pool of people in the company who can say “oh man don’t turn that off, it’s important” is dwindling to zero. (Then again, Musk would fire anyone who would say that to him anyway.)

I have no doubt twitter’s code is not well optimized in some ways. The answer to that is a slow, carefully planned infrastructure revamp over the course of years, not just turning random microservices off.

That all comes to a head during big events such as the World Cup where every mitigation and loan balancing strategy are tested to the absolute limits.

or we just turn it off and turn it back on