Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Arquinsiel posted:

To be fair, Legion was itself a second Star Wars miniatures game to Imperial Assault, which had a competitive mode that looks to be about as many figures as this on the table.

The thing that I'm *really* curious about is comparing the Shatterpoint Kenobi to the Legion Kenobi and thereby working out if it'd be worth getting Ventress to run as a proxy for Maul, who is a smidge (presumed) dead by the time the Seperatist army actually fights anything else you can buy.

If it makes you feel better they've confirmed Legion Ventress next year iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

StashAugustine posted:

If it makes you feel better they've confirmed Legion Ventress next year iirc
Actually it does, thanks.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Speaking of Kenobi, does he strike that pose a lot in the shows? It's weird how his shatterpoint model is almost identical to his legion one.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

smug jeebus posted:

Speaking of Kenobi, does he strike that pose a lot in the shows? It's weird how his shatterpoint model is almost identical to his legion one.

This one?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Asked and answered then, lol

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I hope they make an Old Ben Kenobi with his other iconic pose, "pile of old robes on the floor".

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

smug jeebus posted:

This is what bugged me most about the reveal. Kenobi and Rex are in the exact same poses in both games, which feels like an utter waste. Here's the same thing again but a bit bigger!

On the whole I don't think this means the end of Legion as they are different games which will appeal to different players. But I do think it creates a weird overlap. It looks to be less character focused than MCP with unnamed and individually based troopers, but lower model count than the not that high legion.

But yeah, there are people who will buy every model because it is Star Wars. Personally I'm more likely to stick with legion and pick up MCP rather than double down on the same characters.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have some legion minis and I’m still waiting on Ewoks to make a full Endor squad but I do like the dynamic poses of the new minis. Gives me a reason to fire up the airbrush and do some OSL again. Assuming they’re compatible sizes I likely will pick up a few.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm collecting a rebel army even if I don't use them all, though if they made KOTOR units I'd gobble those up just to have models for them

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The fact that it's All Prequel Era for at least the waves their showing in the announcement vids makes it an easy pass for me for now.

When they hit up the GCW era... well I'll probably just scale up the corresponding Legion guys 14% in Chitubox and bootleg the rules to try it out TBH.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm not really into as into the 'hobby' part of minis as some people; i get the stuff to actually play it. Adding another mini games that anyone in this area (or state...) barely/never plays is not idea for me. And it Prequel stuff, which lol no thanks.

Models look cool, though.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

AMG is looking for Shat Point playtesters:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf8AeadCXMccQKFzMJViu-cK20a3Y252wxoEBvXozjxQZVIHA/viewform

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

AMG posted:

Atomic Mass Games is looking for skilled, thoughtful, and enthusiastic individuals-
Ah well, maybe next time

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The essay questions already rule me out.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Arquinsiel posted:

The essay questions already rule me out.

yeah, i know they want people who put a lot of thought into stuff*, but those essays for what is basically an unpaid part time job is a bit much i think.

*Unlike the designs! Zing

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya, it's a bit much to say the least.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Question 3 alone I would knock out without even thinking about it too hard, but question 1 requires me to go play a game assuming I even play one they consider "major" and then analyse it in a way that may or may not be relevant for their design space at all. Question 2 is like... how the gently caress do I explain the appeal of A Bridge Too Far in 300 words? That's MilHist thread serial effortpost poo poo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

For 1 I would be inclined to just find a youtube batrep with low view count and crib from that, 2 just seems to be a test that you are literate and can engage in analytical criticism, fine whatever. 3 is dead easy.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The real reason not to bother is you'll probably have to test using the Tabletop Simulator MCP mod or buy a bunch of MCP minis to proxy. I guess there's a slight chance they send a core set if you have a group organised in the same location.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Of course, accepting only the most committed psychoes to playtest your rules is probably the right approach

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

The fact that it's All Prequel Era for at least the waves their showing in the announcement vids makes it an easy pass for me for now.

When they hit up the GCW era... well I'll probably just scale up the corresponding Legion guys 14% in Chitubox and bootleg the rules to try it out TBH.

People who do 3d alternatives for legion are already planning to do models in Shatterpoint scale

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

fatherboxx posted:

People who do 3d alternatives for legion are already planning to do models in Shatterpoint scale

I imagine there are 3d printers humming away on Legion STL's +10% embiggened right now.

I have no idea what percentage bigger MCP is than Legion tbh. Big enough that it will look weird side by side.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Are there certain Rebel units that are worth less than others?

I am still missing:
Lando ($18)
Jyn Erso ($16)
Chewbacca ($18)
Leia ($18)
Han Solo ($13)
Rebel Veterans ($27)
Airspeeder ($26)
Speeder Truck (lowest I've seen is $52 which still seems expensive)
tauntaun riders ($30)
x-34 landspeeder ($46)
Fleet troopers ($23)
Laser Cannon Team ($21)
Wookie Warriors ($35, msrp)

battlefield:
Crashed Escape pod ($35)
imperial bunker ($60)
Vital Assets ($32)
Priority Supplies ($19)
Downed AT-ST ($38)

$527 total for one of each. I kind of want to get the essentials kit

I have one of everything else on the Rebel side (split a box w/ coworker, he has the imperial cards and minis)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Are there certain Rebel units that are worth less than others?

Do you mean less useful in game, or physically less expensive to buy?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Echo Base defenders box would be a good pickup for you, everything in that box is on your list of stuff to buy and you can make a pretty decent army out of it. I wouldn’t get the Wookiees or the fleet troopers unless you’re buying enough to spam them or you’re getting a speeder truck to transport them, otherwise it’s likely they’ll just get shot trying to get across the board.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The wookiee gently caress truck is super fun tho if you do go that route.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The Echo Base defenders box would be a good pickup for you, everything in that box is on your list of stuff to buy and you can make a pretty decent army out of it. I wouldn’t get the Wookiees or the fleet troopers unless you’re buying enough to spam them or you’re getting a speeder truck to transport them, otherwise it’s likely they’ll just get shot trying to get across the board.

That'll get me some dupe C3P0/R2D2 if I decide to get the Crashed Escape Pod, though.

Ugleb posted:

Do you mean less useful in game, or physically less expensive to buy?

Good Cost:Useful ratio

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That'll get me some dupe C3P0/R2D2 if I decide to get the Crashed Escape Pod, though.

Don't get the crashed escape pod if you're trying to budget your purchases and the EBD is an option that has a lot of stuff you need.

The terrain pieces are a bad value (seriously a hundred bucks for the upcoming crashed x-wing!) now that 3d printing is near ubiquitous. The scenarios are casual only so you may as well :filez: print and play those too.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Well, yeah you could probably say the same of the rest of the minis, to some degree.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Well, yeah you could probably say the same of the rest of the minis, to some degree.

Sure, but I'm assuming some level of organized play where you "need" the cards or whatever.

Frankly if you get a budget FDM and resin printer and subscribe to a couple patreons/pick up a few things on Gumroad the whole game can be print-and-play casual and you'll probably come out ahead or at least not far behind money wise even if you are starting from scratch 3d printing.

If you really like the crashed escape pod by all means get it, but I'm seconding EBD as a good way to scoop up a lot of things you could use for a nice price.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I would not recommend getting the Crashed Escape Pod unless you just really like the terrain, the Echo Base set would be a much better way to get the characters out of it and a bunch of other stuff you want besides.

The other boxes that come with scenarios (Vital Assets etc) would be a much higher priority for me since they have a big effect on gameplay, but you can always just print those cards off and use tokens for the objectives if you'd like to play with them without spending the cash.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Good Cost:Useful ratio

If you're really on a budget:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

The battleforce boxes are potentially good savings, the terrain sets are nice to have but hardly essential. And premium prices.

I'd go with the Echo base set as well.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah it looks like $225 (under msrp, not including 3p0/r2) and you can pick it up for $150 so if I wanted all those units it would be

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

We have 3PO and R2 at home!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The only bad thing about the Rebel battle force box is having more vets than you'll ever need. Oh and also it's missing support tokens but it's not a huge deal if you've got a core already. Vets and Chewie are generically pretty strong and everything else is at least usable

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah 28 Vets seems like quite a lot, offhand

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

2x vets 2x mk2 is pretty common and 3x each is fine especially in the battleforce specifically, but 4x vets is a gimmick and you literally can't run 4x mk2s in a standard game. (I am probably going to end up with 4 vets just because I want them to match the fourth tauntaun/cannon)

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
4 vets 2 mgs 2 dishes is pretty funny though. Give them all HQ uplinks for droid feels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Now finished my Blizzard force!

Decided to paint up the Snow troopers as more biome-agnostic imperial troopers, I'm honestly not super happy about how they turned out, but I think using basilicanum grey for the coats was the element I disliked.

Also grabbed a box of scout troopers as well, who are just the coolest looking kind of trooper in my opinion, I wish they were core so I could just run them. I only did two of the speeders from the force, since I already had two finished from the starter set and I can't see wanting to use six in a game.

The biggest challenge! I've never done a vehicle larger than 15mm before, so I was pretty intimidated to start this guy, especially considering I don't have an airbrush. I followed this video mostly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1pq6_1BIE8&list=WL&index=59&t=1s&ab_channel=Sorastro%27sPainting but I didn't do as much of the 'leaking' as I based my force for Tatooine, so I went heavier on metal chipping figuring the sandstorms would be hard on those flat surfaces.