Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

laughing crying emoji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

fast cars loose anus posted:

A&M has only scored over 30 once, in the first game of the year against Sam Houston, so yeah pretty much. We could for sure out-talent UMass to that number but it's a stupid bet to take

To be fair, Sam Houston is almost certainly a touchdown better than UMass.

edit: well usually they would be, looks like they've been pretty lackluster here in their lame-duck final FCS season.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/rtd_mikebarber/status/1592171053505208322?s=46&t=Fr8Z-U0ZoU4w5JjXbGyRfQ

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This is Tony Elliott's fault somehow

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

GD_American posted:

VT 33
UVA 3
c'mon

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
All three killed were football players. Devin Chandler and Lavel Davis Jr. were the other two.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I wonder about the two injuries. There's a press conference in 5 minutes.

Edit:

The shooter was a former player but current student who went to the garage where students were getting off a bus from a "field trip," whatever that might have been. I assume the football players were all in a bus together for a team event that had happened earlier in the day. Still no word on motive.

The shelter in place order has been released after 12+ hours. The suspect hasn't been caught, but UVA has been cleared. God knows where he's escaped to. There's still a city-wide manhunt with ATF and various other agencies.

Komet fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 14, 2022

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Horrible news. Stay safe Komet (and other Cville goons)

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The news conference was briefly interrupted: the suspect is in custody.

The UVA police chief also mentioned some kind of hazing incident in the past, but wouldn't elaborate because there were no witnesses and no investigation was ever brought. This would have been in the past, pre-Elliott.

Komet fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 14, 2022

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I liked GD's scoreboard joke in light of the terrible news :kiddo:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Jesus. I was just coming to post about the Big XII championship game race, that kinda puts a damper on any football talk.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

VT 33
UVA 3

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

This is probably something to keep an eye on:

https://twitter.com/Joy7News/status/1592189146353000449?s=20&t=i-bPXfQa1knKA3kZRf3GpA

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That was my first instinct when I saw it was all football players.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There was also a shooting at Idaho last night.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

well gently caress all that then. this story is gonna somehow get even shittier.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Probably best to get all the details before we start tarring the victims as bullies and the coaching staff/administration as having blood on its hands (not that anyone is doing that itt).

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Shooter was a former football player -

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1592156648638144514

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

poo poo one of the victims was a local kid. :(

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Whenever there is a hazing incident or something related to it, I always think back to a long-form article I read in the 1990s about the hazing of football players at The Citadel.

Some truly heinous abuses were committed there, it really opened my eyes to what hazing actually could be (and too often is).

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Cousin of mine was kicked out of The Citadel for hazing in the start of the "we're slightly less evil now" era. Served him right. Also made him get his act together.

mdemone posted:

Whenever there is a hazing incident or something related to it, I always think back to a long-form article I read in the 1990s about the hazing of football players at The Citadel.

Some truly heinous abuses were committed there, it really opened my eyes to what hazing actually could be (and too often is).

If you're talking about the famous one from Sports Illustrated, IIRC it was written by Rick Reilly (the man did actually once have talent)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

D.N. Nation posted:

Cousin of mine was kicked out of The Citadel for hazing in the start of the "we're slightly less evil now" era. Served him right. Also made him get his act together.

If you're talking about the famous one from Sports Illustrated, IIRC it was written by Rick Reilly (the man did actually once have talent)

Yeah it's gotta be that article, not surprised it's famous -- it definitely has stuck with me for decades.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

To be fair, Sam Houston is almost certainly a touchdown better than UMass.

edit: well usually they would be, looks like they've been pretty lackluster here in their lame-duck final FCS season.

Sure but that A&M team was also a lot more complete than the one that'll be out there against UMass

I don't like to use injuries as an excuse on a loaded team but we're talking about a gambling line, they definitely affect margins like that

I'm just saying don't put any money on A&M to do something involving high scoring this year

e: also I agree with General Dog in that perhaps we should let details come out in this one, yikes

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Citadel also the famous inspiration for the Pat Conroy novel Lords of Discipline, set at a thinly fictionalized version of the same.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

poo poo one of the victims was a local kid. :(

Gave my son a long hug this morning and started crying. So hard to think about sending kids off to school (of any kind) with all this going on.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mdemone posted:

Yeah it's gotta be that article, not surprised it's famous -- it definitely has stuck with me for decades.

They republished it a few years ago if you can stomach it: https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2014/09/04/si-60-what-citadel-rick-reilly

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yeesh, maybe later this evening after I crack a beer.

Everybody else go read it right now

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In happier news my wife and I are going to Illinois-Michigan this weekend, although the game should be less good now that Illinois is dying / melting down.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Yikes, that's horrific. Lord of the Flies stuff.

I know a guy from The Citadel and he's goofy and hilarious, I guess the really bad stuff was toned down by the time he went through.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Shane Lyons officially done at WVU.

I guess he did a good job carrying on the fundraising of Luck but when your only real hire is Neal Brown it's kind of tough.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

LLCoolJD posted:

Yikes, that's horrific. Lord of the Flies stuff.

Lords of Discipline had the same themes (plus racial discrimination as a component of hazing), and resulted in Pat Conroy basically being persona non grata at any Citadel alumni event for over 20 years.

Military schools suck. I’m deeply suspicious of any school with more than a normal ROTC program

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to assume that, like the schools with cadet corps, the Citadel doesn't actually require going into the military afterward and it's all just extended ROTC cosplay.

Edit: Got to it in the story and yuuuuuuuup

quote:

Citadel cadets have no more connection to the military than do Harvard undergraduates. Only those students who have signed ROTC contracts will be obliged to be sworn into a branch of the service, and an ROTC contract can be signed on most any campus in the country. Even former Citadel president James Stockdale, a Congressional Medal of Honor winner, likened attending The Citadel to playing soldier. Get up close and you can see it. Those splendid cadet uniforms -- and the faculty's, too -- are of the sort you might get at a good Army surplus store, vague grays and indefinite stripes and tags. The Citadel uniform is the equivalent of a World War II bomber jacket ordered through a catalog.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 14, 2022

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
VMI is the same, I guess. The PT and barracks life isn't fake, though.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah. While I generally won't defend the corps and acknowledge its a fake army in that sense, I knew some guys who only made it through college because they had that kind of structure in their day-to-day by their own admission

Obviously doesn't justify hazing

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In happier news my wife and I are going to Illinois-Michigan this weekend, although the game should be less good now that Illinois is dying / melting down.

illini are gonna lose by 40 but it should still be fun

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
75% lol.

https://twitter.com/ESPN_BillC/status/1592247000359403521

Hey, it kinda worked.

...right up until it really really didn't.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Now that we're talking football again...

Apparently, most of the Big XII is still capable of winding up playing TCU in the conference championship game.

- Kansas State just needs to win out.
- Oklahoma State needs to win out and Kansas State to lose out.
- Texas needs to win out and have Kansas State and Oklahoma State to drop one game each.
- Baylor requires Texas, KSU, and OSU to lose out and have Tech drop one more game.
- Tech needs this exact sequence of games and no other:

1. TCU beats Baylor
2. West Virginia beats Kansas State
3. Kansas beats Texas
4. Texas Tech beats Iowa State
5. Oklahoma beats Oklahoma State

6. Texas beats Baylor
7. Kansas beats Kansas State
8. Texas Tech beats Oklahoma
9. West Virginia beats Oklahoma State

Which creates a 4 way tie for 2nd in which Tech holds the ultimate tiebreaker. The way the season has gone, there's nothing there that's a huge upset if OSU continues their slide. WVU gets KSU at home where they've been a much greater challenge.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

75% lol.

https://twitter.com/ESPN_BillC/status/1592247000359403521

Hey, it kinda worked.

...right up until it really really didn't.

lol at Miyan Williams having 147 yards in the one quarter he played.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

lol at Miyan Williams having 147 yards in the one quarter he played.

And LOL at Xavier Johnson getting nearly half Williams's yard on just one carry.

Hoosiers are :yikeseroo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mastershakeman posted:

illini are gonna lose by 40 but it should still be fun

It’s supposed to be loving cold as balls