Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stray has a lot of small neat things, but my favorite so far is standing in the way of walking robots causing them to trip and fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
More on Ragnarok, I’m really liking the My Two Dads vibe that Mirmir and Kratos give off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do like how the codex stuff shows a Kratos who regrets the things he's done over the years. There's one that specifically calls out the ship captain as a thing he should have done differently.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Joey Freshwater posted:

More on Ragnarok, I’m really liking the My Two Dads vibe that Mirmir and Kratos give off.

I'm liking that a lot, it's a much more enjoyable vibe when Mimir's along to be chatty than back when Kratos was just being grumpy taciturn dad on his own.

Another thing I find cute and funny is in one set of collectibles (nothing at all plot relevant, just hiding it for folks who want to know absolutely nothing ahead of time):

One set of collectibles is finding various written works by the genius Kvasir, which turn out to be overwrought prose describing other vidyagames.

So far I've seen Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Of Us Part 2, and Death Stranding. They're so silly but fun, they make me laugh every time :buddy:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The most recent Ratchet and Clank game has the exact same thing but it was someone (also not plot spoilers but I don’t want to ruin the above spoiler) using the multiverse device to look into other games like Sly Cooper.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood does something that very few first-person shooters accomplish: not only is there generally a stealth/action consequence, but many objectives can be accomplished running like hell, ducking behind barrels, doubling back because of reinforcements, creating distractions and running the other way, basically giving me the ability to run away from a battle, and feel the intensity of running from that battle. Most games the only time you ever run from a fight is when a scripted event needs you to.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Is broken jank something you can enjoy in a game? I'm going with yes.

Booted up Fallout 4 after close to 5 years of not playing it, and had an odd thing happen twice.

Like previous games, you can invest skill points in pickpocket and eventually unlock a skill to put a live grenade in someone's pocket, (usually) killing them instantly

Also like previous games, there is dismemberment if you do enough localized damage to a limb. One side benefit to this is if you blow an enemy to holy hell, you don't need to find the biggest chunk to loot the enemy's corpse. A stray arm/leg/foot will let you see the entire inventory.

I think however, this is the first game that allows for dismemberment to not outright kill an enemy, and that brings up the glitch. Synths and Ghouls will just keep coming after you if you take off an arm or leg, but I think any heavy HP pool enemy can survive, especially Legendaries.

I was sneaking around a dungeon that had synths walking around, and I had on a helmet that highlighted enemies. As this was not a synth friendly level, they were exploring and triggered some explosive traps unrelated to me (apparently). While I'm sneaking around, I happened to see some random limb glowing red just lying 20 feet away from the rest of the party. I crept up to it and the pickpocket option appeared. I did not have the reverse pickpocket skill unlocked at that stage, so adding a grenade just put it in his inventory and aggroed him. But I was able to just mindlessly melee the detached arm until the bot on the other side of the room just fell over, dead-ish

I love the idea that I could in theory, throw one grenade, blow off an enemy limb, which then lands closer to me, put a grenade in that severed hand, and when that one explodes, it kills the main body.

What delightful trash.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm liking that a lot, it's a much more enjoyable vibe when Mimir's along to be chatty than back when Kratos was just being grumpy taciturn dad on his own.

Another thing I find cute and funny is in one set of collectibles (nothing at all plot relevant, just hiding it for folks who want to know absolutely nothing ahead of time):

One set of collectibles is finding various written works by the genius Kvasir, which turn out to be overwrought prose describing other vidyagames.

So far I've seen Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Of Us Part 2, and Death Stranding. They're so silly but fun, they make me laugh every time :buddy:

I didn’t pick up on that at all but I’m waiting for it to be revealed that Kvasir is actually Mimir. He’s so insistent about Kvasir being a genius and that Kratos needs to pick a favorite poem that it’d be hilarious if it’s actually him

Ragnarok also seems way funnier than the first one. I’ve legit laughed out loud several times.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Metroid Dread: i thought it was just an oversight that ADAM refers to Samus by name for the entire game and not Lady but it turns out nope!

Also, I like that the final boss (maybe? haven’t beaten him yet he’s tough) is a dark Chozo which means fighting a guy with a Samus arm cannon.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

These have been great, there was one I was having a a bunch of trouble figuring out, then I looked at the cover of the book and it all came together.
Major League Baseball.

I forgot that was a Sony game!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Veotax posted:

These have been great, there was one I was having a a bunch of trouble figuring out, then I looked at the cover of the book and it all came together.
Major League Baseball.

I forgot that was a Sony game!

The last line of that one is a dead giveaway

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The entry for Skirnir's Crest mocks "enlightened" centrists.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Early in Ragnarok (this was around the 4 hour mark for me, shortly after you meet a guy named Durlin) you're attacked by a troll. Kratos easily dispatches it by cutting its head off in a cutscene though.

The 2018 God of War was criticized a bit for having a lack of variety in boss fights, including like 4 identical troll bosses.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Aphrodite posted:

Early in Ragnarok (this was around the 4 hour mark for me, shortly after you meet a guy named Durlin) you're attacked by a troll. Kratos easily dispatches it by cutting its head off in a cutscene though.

The 2018 God of War was criticized a bit for having a lack of variety in boss fights, including like 4 identical troll bosses.

I'm absolutely certain you fight more than 4 trolls.

WaltherFeng has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Nov 14, 2022

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I restarted Cyberpunk 2077 (I haven't finished it yet but my pattern for anything seems to be get halfway through and restart) and just got to the Afterlife bar prior to the big heist.
I'm putting this in PYF little things because it's so well done, but it's also dragging this game down because the conversation with Claire the bartender prior to meeting the fixer is loving heartbreaking when you know Jackie ain't making it back.
This game is one of those singleplayer gems that when you know what's going on, it hits harder and you notice all the foreshadowing. It's easy to be dazzled by Night City.

Also the word "huscle" is hilarious

NonzeroCircle has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Nov 14, 2022

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I love the slang in Cyberpunk. Gonk, choom, nova, eddies and preem all feel natural.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Time to delta.

Cyberpunk 2077 was many things and didn't do great in all of them, but I think one of its greatest successes was the creation of this living, vibrant world that felt incredible to just walk around in....pre-1.5 bugs notwithstanding. After finishing it, it gave me that feeling of leaving something big.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When do we get the first game written in Nadsat

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

You should play Shadowrun, chummers

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Call your buddy in Act 2. That was the moment Cyberpunk grounded itself in reality forever for me!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Crowetron posted:

Make more shadowrun games then you son of a bitch

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Crowetron posted:

Shadowrun was preem.
Enjoyed the hellscape Berlin and Hong Kong a lot

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Biplane posted:

Make more shadowrun games then you son of a bitch

Sadly, Harebrained Schemes hasn't done anything since Battletech except port the SR games

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Crowetron posted:

Sadly, Harebrained Schemes hasn't done anything since Battletech except port the SR games

Downright criminal.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

marshmallow creep posted:

I love the slang in Cyberpunk. Gonk, choom, nova, eddies and preem all feel natural.

They got to pull from the original RPG, which had pretty logical choices behind things. Even “Night City”, while kinda edgy, has the in-universe reason of just being named after the guy who founded it, and Michael Pondsmith based it off a real (non-city) area in California and put actual thought into how you’d have to build up the area to get a city there.

Morpheus posted:

Time to delta.

That one supposedly came from deltas, which are basically aerospace combat vehicles and have appropriately high acceleration (not many other fighters with a solid rocket booster)

quote:

Cyberpunk 2077 was many things and didn't do great in all of them, but I think one of its greatest successes was the creation of this living, vibrant world that felt incredible to just walk around in....pre-1.5 bugs notwithstanding. After finishing it, it gave me that feeling of leaving something big.

Yeah, even at its most buggy, I felt like I was in an actual active city, full of people who had nothing to do with the plot and had their own lives and stories to deal with.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Whenever Johnny says 'finger on the trig, V' I want to punch him in his love bytes, but otherwise I liked the street slang and found it immersive.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I was reading The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein at the same time I was into Cyberpunk 2077, and it was a weird blast of synchronicity to read "choom" in the book

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MadDogMike posted:

That one supposedly came from deltas, which are basically aerospace combat vehicles and have appropriately high acceleration (not many other fighters with a solid rocket booster)

Huh, I just thought that it was just an evolution of 'time to split', a delta being the 'split' between two values. Yours makes more sense given the setting and the time the RPG was released

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Morpheus posted:

Huh, I just thought that it was just an evolution of 'time to split', a delta being the 'split' between two values. Yours makes more sense given the setting and the time the RPG was released

Yeah, they had some neat world-building in the setting, including a book dedicated to space stuff.

EDIT: Just double-checked said space book, and delta was specifically listed as slang for "to make maximum speed to somewhere" among the people born/living in space (the Highriders). Guessing in-setting it migrated to the rest of the population from there.

MadDogMike has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Nov 15, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Deltas and T-Birds (like the tank) were actually borrowed from the novel Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams. Williams actually wrote the Hardwired Sourcebook for the TTRPG too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Morpheus posted:

I presumed it was delta v, as in movement.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Deltas and T-Birds (like the tank) were actually borrowed from the novel Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams. Williams actually wrote the Hardwired Sourcebook for the TTRPG too.

Walter John Williams absolutely rules and doesn't come up enough in cyberpunk and near future sci-fi conversations

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sebmojo posted:

I presumed it was delta v, as in movement.

i thought it was about the big flat piece of land found at the mouths of silty rivers, on the grounds that they are easy to traverse

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sorry, misspoke- When the fixer said we were going to Delta Co. sadly they were not referring to a holdup at a mexican restaurant. Game does take place in California so it's a fair mix-up!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i thought it was about the big flat piece of land found at the mouths of silty rivers, on the grounds that they are easy to traverse

Mm, mm, this makes the most sense

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

Even “Night City”, while kinda edgy, has the in-universe reason of just being named after the guy who founded it,

Yes, good old Joey Night City.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Del Taco means "of the taco"

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Philippe posted:

Del Taco means "of the taco"

Named after the scenic Del Taco Valley.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Alhazred posted:

Yes, good old Joey Night City.

You're joking but it's actually Dick Night. Well, it's Richard, but I had to try and make it funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Bogmonster posted:

I was reading The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein at the same time I was into Cyberpunk 2077, and it was a weird blast of synchronicity to read "choom" in the book

The first time it came up in 2077 I got deja vu and it was because I've read that book a ton.