Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I did the two kittens with an older dog thing and they do still try and play with the dog but go back to each other when he's not having any of it. They're slowly growing out of it, he should probably chill out as he ages but the immediate solution is 2nd young cat to wreck things with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

MJP posted:

If not, the visits will include a spray bottle and we spritz him if he's stalking or preparing to pounce. We might also try a harness and leash on him if he'd take it.

Spraying a cat with a water bottle only teaches them to misbehave when you're not looking or around.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Would it at least work as a last resort? e.g. Freddie sees Taters, we try to distract him with a cat dancer. He looks like he's about to get ready to play, we step between them. He pounces, we spritz. Or if we find them tussling, we spritz him. In either case we'd at least try to be out of line of sight.

I know it's not perfect, and we're gonna be giving them a solid week of a fully Feliway'd house with calming collars and eating across the baby gate. We're also letting Freddie explore the house for brief periods if Taters is in a room with a closeable door, so he can at least look around and feel less novelty. So yeah, I don't want to go in spritzing, I just need to find a way to really, really stop him from wanting to pounce on her, but we're also trying pretty much everything in the book after the Week of Hormones.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I used the toy so Sinjin would have time to watch Niko doing something positive, but Niko would still run over to Sinjin and get hissed/swatted at. After a couple sessions Niko backed off.

I was told hissing & swatting is fine and to only intervene if there was growling/more aggressive noises. So there was some….wrestling that was definitely not playing, but I think was Sinjin trying to dominate Niko. I separated them when Niko was trying to stay away and Sinjin kept following him and swatting.

In my case after a few sessions it turned into play fighting/chasing and then they were best buds, but I got EXTREMELY lucky. But letting the older cat set it’s boundaries isn’t a bad thing.

Here’s a video of them being buds :kimchi:
https://i.imgur.com/lAgubrd.mp4

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
He’s a kitten, you have to tire him out

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I got a cat yesterday from the shelter. He's a little 7.5lb guy, shelter said he was a stray and they think he's about 1.

So far he's been really friendly, follows me everywhere in the house. But he's meowing a lot. I think he just likes to be noisy, doesn't seem like he's in distress.

I bought a bunch of cat beds and stuff but so far he won't touch them. When he discovered my sherpa blanket though he went nuts kneading and suckling on it. Little goof will do that for awhile.

I ordered food online, did not realize how big a 12lb bag of food is for a cat.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

MJP posted:

Would it at least work as a last resort? e.g. Freddie sees Taters, we try to distract him with a cat dancer. He looks like he's about to get ready to play, we step between them. He pounces, we spritz. Or if we find them tussling, we spritz him. In either case we'd at least try to be out of line of sight.

I know it's not perfect, and we're gonna be giving them a solid week of a fully Feliway'd house with calming collars and eating across the baby gate. We're also letting Freddie explore the house for brief periods if Taters is in a room with a closeable door, so he can at least look around and feel less novelty. So yeah, I don't want to go in spritzing, I just need to find a way to really, really stop him from wanting to pounce on her, but we're also trying pretty much everything in the book after the Week of Hormones.
I really wouldn't want to discourage a cat from being playful, because the alternative is he becomes destructive. (Joke about "what's the difference?" here.) He's a young cat, he doesn't need to hunt for his daily meal. He no longer has the biological urge to procreate. It's the morning of a perpetual Saturday for him, and he's gonna have to express his energy somehow. If Taters is not a suitable playmate by inclination, then you'll have to provide it. Freddie will grow from young adulthood into middle aged cat sooner than later and thus slow down, but until then you'll need something to occupy his time. That's all he has.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

phosdex posted:

I probably would have started with a smaller size just to make sure he’s not super picky or possibly allergic but it’s not a huge deal though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My cats are very attached to each other, but when one of them starts licking the other it's an invitation to a fight. It's a ritual. Byakko starts licking Diana, then Diana starts licking Byakko, then CHOMP and we're off to the races.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I probably would have started with a smaller size just to make sure he’s not super picky or possibly allergic but it’s not a huge deal though.
I would recommend getting an airtight box to store it in once you open it, though, so it doesn't go off.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I applied for this bonded pair Elvis & Ichabod last week and got to meet them today and I mean...

So of course I fell in love with them immediately and will be bringing them home Saturday.

Elvis is my first experience with a longhair, anybody want to give me a crash course? I will be picking up a furminator and I already have a slicker brush, what other tools should I pick up? (besides a good vacuum...)

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

phosdex posted:

I got a cat yesterday from the shelter. He's a little 7.5lb guy, shelter said he was a stray and they think he's about 1.

So far he's been really friendly, follows me everywhere in the house. But he's meowing a lot. I think he just likes to be noisy, doesn't seem like he's in distress.

I bought a bunch of cat beds and stuff but so far he won't touch them. When he discovered my sherpa blanket though he went nuts kneading and suckling on it. Little goof will do that for awhile.

Yep that's a cat you have there all right!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FBS posted:

Elvis is my first experience with a longhair, anybody want to give me a crash course? I will be picking up a furminator and I already have a slicker brush, what other tools should I pick up? (besides a good vacuum...)

If you're lucky, Elvis will be low maintenance. Darker haired longhair cats seem to shed less, not sure if grey counts as dark but maybe it'll work for you. Just pet them a lot and keep an eye for any knots developing, spots they can't get to easily like their armpits seem the most prone to it.

We have one with fur about the length of the one you're getting, and the equigroomer is the best cat brush I've ever used. It makes a huge mess but cats love it and unlike slickers you can actually tell when loose hair is gone because it stops producing fur piles. The furminator does this too but you can overgroom with it and end up with thin fur or scabs.. you should only use it once or twice a month. But with the equigroomer you can slide it over their fur every day if you wanted.

It's also super effective on short hair cats.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

xzzy posted:

We have one with fur about the length of the one you're getting, and the equigroomer is the best cat brush I've ever used. It makes a huge mess but cats love it and unlike slickers you can actually tell when loose hair is gone because it stops producing fur piles. The furminator does this too but you can overgroom with it and end up with thin fur or scabs.. you should only use it once or twice a month. But with the equigroomer you can slide it over their fur every day if you wanted.

It's also super effective on short hair cats.

:aaaaa:
I had no idea you could overgroom with the furminator! My cats don’t really like it so I just brush bits of them when they’re sleepy. Good to know!

I recommend “sanitary trims” (cutting back their butt curtains) for longer haired cats. Save future you from a lot of misery.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
My cats’ newest game is ‘knock over the water fountain’ so I guess I’m replacing the petkit eversweet with one of those heavy rear end porcelain ones

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My cats are very attached to each other, but when one of them starts licking the other it's an invitation to a fight. It's a ritual. Byakko starts licking Diana, then Diana starts licking Byakko, then CHOMP and we're off to the races.

This is what happens with ours, I blame Kimchi for being an rear end in a top hat kitten when Katya finally dared to groom her. Even now, she just wants to play and when Katya gets in her face (in a perfectly innocent way) she'll automatically respond by play-fighting which sets Katya off because she's like "wow. wtf did I do??"

We always hold our breath when they start grooming each other but there appears to be some improvement, I think it's because the weather is getting cold but we caught them sleeping under a blanket twice this week, monumental news!

FBS posted:

I applied for this bonded pair Elvis & Ichabod last week and got to meet them today and I mean...

So of course I fell in love with them immediately and will be bringing them home Saturday.

Katya is a longhair but doesn't shed that much, here's hoping you get lucky too!
Her fave is the cheapo silicon glove, she can't get enough of it and since it mostly pulls out loose hairs and is easy to clean she gets multiple brushies a week with that one. She goes nuts when she hears us use the velcro strap to put it on, lmao.
I recently got the Equigroomer and it is indeed messy but seems to work well for helping the pre-wintercoat shedding. I only use the furminator during the height of shedding season since it's the only one that actually has blades.

TL;DR: depends on your cat, I guess

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I was so quick to photograph this moment of tenderness brought to you by Kimchi being distracted by birds.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Mine do this too! I've always wondered about this behaviour. It's like a few seconds of licking each other before they start their super slam event.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I read a suggestion somewhere that licking a cat like that indicates "whatever happens next I want you to know I'm just playing." Kind of like a fist bump before a boxing match I guess.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Autodrop Monteur posted:

Mine do this too! I've always wondered about this behaviour. It's like a few seconds of licking each other before they start their super slam event.

Same here

Pav will start groom Sage for a little bit, and then after a few minutes he just goes for a chomp and they're off to the races for either wrestles or a massive chase all over the house

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Grooming could also be a dominance display too. Mutual grooming is less likely to be that, but running up to a cat and immediate grooming might be also "I'm big cat here." Obviously some cats might object to that!

It could also be that it's friendly but like overpetting it's overstimulating and then welp!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Out two 3 year olds only eat one brand of “good” cat food (and only the fish in gravy options at that), which is only available at petsmart, not petco. They will, however, demolish a can of fancy feast while ignoring any other brand of nice cat food.

Any suggestions on other alternatives to nice canned food in case we cant get what they will eat (which had happened a few times)? They eat kibble just fine so im not worried about starving. They arent super into whole/human food either when we tried giving them actual meat.

If only there was a food made out of rubber bands and twist ties :thunk:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Is my brain just not working here. So I got this cat and I bought Orijen 6 Fish. The bag says for 6-8 pounds, 1/4-1/3 cup/day, feed twice per day. Is that 1/4-1/3 each feeding, or am I supposed to be feeding this guy like just an 1/8 cup at a time?

here's the goofball taking up my desk:

phosdex fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 14, 2022

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I got a new cat that's very skittish. We've left him alone in a closed room, but we suddenly had to get into another room. I had to chase him around and got bitten pretty bad before getting him somewhere else. Now I'm concerned he's gonna be even more disturbed and have more anxiety as we try to integrate him. Any advice?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I got a new cat that's very skittish. We've left him alone in a closed room, but we suddenly had to get into another room. I had to chase him around and got bitten pretty bad before getting him somewhere else. Now I'm concerned he's gonna be even more disturbed and have more anxiety as we try to integrate him. Any advice?

Leave the doors open and leave him alone. He'll gradually get curious and start exploring.

Don't force anything, just give him time to acclimate and blend in on his own terms.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
We don't want to leave the bathroom door open because we're worried our other cats will harrass him then. We figured we needed to give him some time to be in his space. We may have to make that the bathroom now, though.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

phosdex posted:

Is my brain just not working here. So I got this cat and I bought Orijen 6 Fish. The bag says for 6-8 pounds, 1/4-1/3 cup/day, feed twice per day. Is that 1/4-1/3 each feeding, or am I supposed to be feeding this guy like just an 1/8 cup at a time?

per day is total amount per day, and you might want to use an independent calculator to double-check that based on your new bud's activity levels (and if he doesn't decide the food is below him in 2 weeks). he looks very comfy :3:

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Out two 3 year olds only eat one brand of “good” cat food (and only the fish in gravy options at that), which is only available at petsmart, not petco. They will, however, demolish a can of fancy feast while ignoring any other brand of nice cat food.

Any suggestions on other alternatives to nice canned food in case we cant get what they will eat (which had happened a few times)? They eat kibble just fine so im not worried about starving. They arent super into whole/human food either when we tried giving them actual meat.

If only there was a food made out of rubber bands and twist ties :thunk:

how often do they get wet food? if it's just to supplement kibble I wouldn't worry about it and give them what they will eat, as long as it's meat-based and contains water it's gonna be good for them. If you have Zooplus where you are, they sell a bunch of variety-packs to try out, I get one with pouches that's really convenient.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My cat's been getting antibiotics for a few days, and I feel pretty queasy after giving them to her. I wonder if I might have a sensitivity to the pills. However, I barely touch the pills while giving them (I wear a rubber glove for hygiene). I do have to crack them in half so might be breathing in some dust or something. Or maybe it's nothing and I'm imagining things - I've had a very unpleasant reaction to human antibiotics last year (no idea if it's an allergy), so I'm a bit nervous around them.

What do you think? Has anyone had an experience with reacting to cat meds?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Hiro Protagonist posted:

You're going to have to let him have his own space. And unless you can dedicate the time to acclimating them, get used to everyone being cordoned off for a while. I currently have one cat separated from seven. It is a pain. But I don't have the free time to acclimate them properly, not until Xmas probably. But I'm also dealing with an FIV cat, and we are getting him retested in December anyway to see if it was a false positive. We can't risk him biting the others, so that is why our process has been kind of slow to start.

Watch Jackson Galaxy's video on acclimating a new cat to others. You'll see why you will have to just be stuck with them separated for a good amount of time, cats are just slow to adjust to new things. And I understand the fact that a skittish cat doesn't help this process. But the key is to make them as comfortable as possible. Does he have a perch to get up on? Just giving them some height off of the floor is enough to give them some reassurance that they can't get snuck up on. Cats want to be like Obi Wan, they want that high ground.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

InvisibleMonkey posted:

how often do they get wet food? if it's just to supplement kibble I wouldn't worry about it and give them what they will eat, as long as it's meat-based and contains water it's gonna be good for them. If you have Zooplus where you are, they sell a bunch of variety-packs to try out, I get one with pouches that's really convenient.

just once a day. i wont worry too much about it now if we do have to give them catmcdonalds once in a while. thanks!

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

phosdex posted:

I have a very similar model.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I have a ~2-year-old rescue cat I adopted four months ago. She's pretty clingy but seems to have settled in pretty well. The issue is my brother is visiting in a couple of weeks and bringing his ~9-month-old rescue cat. I think this is a bad idea but I do still live with my parents - goon - and they're willing to give it a try. Should I put my foot down? It is only for a couple of days. But I think even in the best-case scenario it'll be pretty stressful for everyone, the house is not big and has few doors so we'll struggle to keep them separated, and overall it seems unfair on both cats.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Cat introductions are usually stressful for everyone and if he's only staying a few days it's almost always better to leave the cat at home and have someone pet sit.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah that's a terrible idea. Cats are not dogs, they are super stressed by changing locations (a few exceptions aside) and also super stressed by other strange cats. But even if you didn't have another cat already it would probably be a bad idea.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Should I put my foot down?

Yes. It's a terrible idea and that kind of stress might cause problems with litterbox usage, as well as your cat's general mental health and wellbeing. Bad for the other cat too. Most of the time, it's best to leave cats where they are and get a sitter to come top up food dishes and dispense some cuddles.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I talked to my brother and the situation seems to be resolved. So... turns out communicating with people is pretty cool

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

So... turns out communicating with people is pretty cool

It's amazing how often that helps! (Not sarcasm.)

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Dumby put a catnip filled plushie into the water fountain while I was gone and it steeped like a teabag and now the water is all yellow.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
if anyone was concerned, we did manage to get some cat shelters made for our neighborhood cats. stuck them under the deck, along with a bunch of hay, and put plastic around the outside of the deck to cut down on wind. they seem to like it. they've survived several winters in their own already, but I figured this way should make it easier on them. hopefully I can find them a barn or something to move to in the spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Nature's Miracle has discontinued "Nature's Miracle Intense Defense Clumping Clay Cat Litter - Unscented" this product (per my email convo with the company). Do ya'll have any advice on a similar replacement? Trying to minimize changes for our cats.