Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This game has a wonderful foundation and even if Paradox never fix it (which they will, albeit by breaking it in new and exciting ways as they go on) mods will give people the experiences they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Gaius Marius posted:

Starcraft wasn't even the best RTS released that year.

V3 is very lucky Terra Invicta is not full releasing this year.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Good so far. Slightly irritated that a lot of the overflows aren't fixed, but at least some mods help with that (which makes the lack of a fix kind of silly?)

The game definitely has more geopolitics when the AI is sharper. Running the Improved Automation mod helps a lot, and I've had France and Great Britain hit well over 6000 prestige, and be able to compete decently well on the world stage. Unfortunately for them, I was playing as China and kind of just rolled over the entire world because my technology had caught up to their and I outnumbered them by a factor of 10 and had virtually infinite manpower to throw into any war.

But when the AI is on your level, they do interfere in your bullshit on the world stage. And similarly, you can interfere in their bullshit. Once we can tell the AI what would sway us into helping them out (give me a wargoal on GB to give me a treaty port or open their market or humiliate them, or whatever), then we can do the same sort of poo poo they do and snipe at each other around the world.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

V3 is very lucky Terra Invicta is not full releasing this year.

terra invicta is a trainwreck of its own

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I‘ve not tried this but I assume most of the recommended mods to fix issues disable achievements, which are important for me.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I'm also in the "wow this actually sucks" camp now. I wish all countries didn't feel the same. This game feels like one of those system toys like Democracy where it's like "wow what a cool system" but once the novelty wears off, you realise you wasted your money. I wanted to like it - I even liked the abstracted wars - but I'm not getting that experience of feeling like I'm playing a country at all.

Really rather soured on it, and not because of the bugs.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Tahirovic posted:

I‘ve not tried this but I assume most of the recommended mods to fix issues disable achievements, which are important for me.

Mods don't disable achievements in this game.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

nothing disables achievements except turning off achievements at the start of the game or switching countries with the "switch country" option in the escape menu

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Cease to Hope posted:

nothing disables achievements except turning off achievements at the start of the game or switching countries with the "switch country" option in the escape menu

Opening the game in debug mode for console commands also turns off achievements.

edit: new patch! Can't wait to get home from work and play more, even though I've been playing all weekend someone please help me.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Green Wing posted:

I'm also in the "wow this actually sucks" camp now. I wish all countries didn't feel the same. This game feels like one of those system toys like Democracy where it's like "wow what a cool system" but once the novelty wears off, you realise you wasted your money. I wanted to like it - I even liked the abstracted wars - but I'm not getting that experience of feeling like I'm playing a country at all.

Really rather soured on it, and not because of the bugs.

I really think that this is just down to the game being so incredibly hosed by bugs and poor AI.

On a related note; new huge bug that just got "discovered" today (although I think people felt that something was def wrong here) - tons of the game setup scripting doesn't do anything at all, possibly because it tries to run at a point when the game isn't fully ready to go yet.

There's a bunch of flags which are supposed to change the starting literacy and SOL of pops and none of them do anything so the only thing which impact on these is the starting occupation for each pop.

This is apparently fixable by taking the contents of the entire history/population folder, pasting it into a single event and then manually firing it after the game has started

Edit:

There's speculation that this might actually be working to some degree but it still seems like there must be some reason why isolated African tribes have the same starting literacy as most of Italy and this seems like a plausible cause

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 14, 2022

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

On a related note; new huge bug that just got "discovered" today (although I think people felt that something was def wrong here) - tons of the game setup scripting doesn't do anything at all, possibly because it tries to run at a point when the game isn't fully ready to go yet.

There's a bunch of flags which are supposed to change the starting literacy and SOL of pops and none of them do anything so the only thing which impact on these is the starting occupation for each pop.

I played Victoria Revolutions and this is the content that takes me back to tophats building silly factroys. I'm glad Paradox is keeping the experience alive in the spirit of its origins :buddy:

(For real, given how many moving parts this has interacting with one another and the challenge its systems offer, it's still a good release given the company and in particular this series)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Gort posted:

rulers living way too long

How is this so hard for them to fix :psyduck:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
monarchist bias

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This game has a wonderful foundation and even if Paradox never fix it (which they will, albeit by breaking it in new and exciting ways as they go on) mods will give people the experiences they want.

How bad are the glitches? Playable but save regularly?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

imo you always want to save regularly when playing any Paradox game. They’re all complex enough that even aside from glitches, something unintended / annoying / stupid can easily happen in the background before you notice.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

eXXon posted:

I imagine it's something along the lines of

* Bugfix 69 - Rulers who are also generals die too much, lowered death chances
* Bugfix 420 - Ruler death calculation was running daily, moved to monthly
Open Bug - Rulers are now immortal

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

And its probably a fairly low priority bug

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

game is good, definitely not gonna be everyone's cup of tea even leaving out the release issues. aside from bug fixes imo the game just needs more flavor. US has a lot of journal entries, they should try to get some in for other important countries.

the feeling when your gdp expands enough that you no longer run a deficit with construction >>>>> sex

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

There are hardware performance-tied crashes slowdown but the game is otherwise stable

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Agean90 posted:

gdp expands enough

:confused: please clarify, gdp is never enough. Line must go up at all times and as sharply as possible!

(if you're in the green while constructing, it just means you need more construction sectors :getin: )

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TorakFade posted:

(if you're in the green while constructing, it just means you need more construction sectors :getin: )

:hmmyes:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

TorakFade posted:

:confused: please clarify, gdp is never enough. Line must go up at all times and as sharply as possible!

it's when ur deficit goes down to like -500 the byou build a new factory and the new taxes make it positive

I'm fully in deficit spending gang but I gotta reduce my outstanding credit a bit. My plan is that steel frame buildings are much easier to scale than iron so I'm gonna wait for that before I drop construction sectors in every state

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
I wonder why they are so uninterested in using the Betas part of steam.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm gonna be in the camp that people should wait a couple of months before getting this.
It's fine but they need to fix the bugs and change up some systems.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Blorange posted:

Probably more like: "Bug 123, Victoria's reign is more like Liz Truss's".

(I do wonder if they have deep philosophical discussions on whether giving her extra long life as a special case is appropriate....)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Like others said this is a pretty good base but it needs alot of fleshing out.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

eXXon posted:

Presumably leaders tend to live long in Victoria because they don't want famously long lived Queen Victoria dying 15 years into the game

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
They should probably get over it. Victoria barely exists in the other games lol, she shows up in one event and then the British monarch is never mentioned again.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's mostly stuff you can't save/load around, like political parties getting so powerful they will themselves out of existence. The game is very playable up to endgame but has a large number of small annoyances that add up, chief among them being the endgame slowdown.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's mostly stuff you can't save/load around, like political parties getting so powerful they will themselves out of existence. The game is very playable up to endgame but has a large number of small annoyances that add up, chief among them being the endgame slowdown.

The latest patch was meant to address the endgame slowdown though. How successful has it been?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
who the gently caress is this???

It's almost certainly not Victoria btw. If it's supposed to be her it's an impossibly bad likeness.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The latest patch was meant to address the endgame slowdown though. How successful has it been?

Pretty successful so far. It still exists (but am running on a save from a previous verison with rapid assimilation so its hard to say for a fully fresh save) but is very notably better. It's more comparable now to your average late game pdox slowdown instead of "melt your cpu a month in realtime" that it was before.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been reading all the patch notes but don't see anything about fixing the AI to like... actually build stuff and grow their economy? We still getting empty gold mines and oil wells into the late game? Still getting global rubber shortages while vast tropical reserves go untapped even by vassals within your own market?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I've been reading all the patch notes but don't see anything about fixing the AI to like... actually build stuff and grow their economy? We still getting empty gold mines and oil wells into the late game? Still getting global rubber shortages while vast tropical reserves go untapped even by vassals within your own market?

They've said they know and are working on a fix.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's almost certainly not Victoria btw. If it's supposed to be her it's an impossibly bad likeness.

were you not around for Napoleon Leg

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I'd forgotten about it, tbh

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Decision-control for an economy can be one hell of a computational job tbqf

Going by what has been posted before, it seems that the AI isn't accounting for possible future demand for reasons, which can be a serious clusterfuck depending on the details of how it is programmed currently - it's important to not only get them to build the things but also be good enough in terms of performance. One reason to not have stockpiles (even if that doesn't make much real world sense) is that the game would have another variable that can be incredibly demanding in future demand calculation

(on that note: V3 proves a sentiment that I had back in uni: econometrics classes would have been so much better if we did economic planning exercises instead of MMT and macroeconomic textbookery lmao)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Blorange posted:

I'm assuming based on the separate retirement and death messages that they had some slightly more complex behavior in mind that just isn't working/wasn't finished.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

its goku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

RabidWeasel posted:

I really think that this is just down to the game being so incredibly hosed by bugs and poor AI.

This is apparently fixable by taking the contents of the entire history/population folder, pasting it into a single event and then manually firing it after the game has started

Edit:

There's speculation that this might actually be working to some degree but it still seems like there must be some reason why isolated African tribes have the same starting literacy as most of Italy and this seems like a plausible cause

Ticket got closed as WAD lol.