Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Fornax Disaster posted:

This one turned up on the whatisthiscar subreddit recently, I wouldn't expect to see something like this out on a public road. Dual-Ghia 400, isn't it?

yes, it is the Dual Ghia 400 - its owned by Fred Kanter of Kanter Auto Parts - I think the story goes that he saw it at the auto show when he was a child, and managed to buy it in the 60s or 70s for very cheap. I think its based on a late 50s chrysler and because of that, he drives it frequently.

My favorite concept cars that look like this are the Alfa Romeo BAT cars:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_BAT

also, xpost for visibility:

LobsterboyX posted:

alright electrical GURUS, I need a ROCKSTAR who's familiar with working in a FAST PACED environment to help ME prevent from burning MY house down...

In following my usual patterns I spent way too much money on this absolutely ridiculous lamp because my life is based around whimsey and nostalgia that I use to prevent myself from spiraling out of control.

first off, I really have no clue about its origins. there is some branding on it that you will shortly see, but light googling gets me nowhere, but I really don't care. I saw a facebook post on some random group about "cursed objects" and it was this lamp covered in cobwebs in a dark messy room. I think it will blend in perfectly with my other wacky lamps. Some quick ebaying got me this - the only trouble is its missing its power cord - in further checking, seems that this cursed image has got around and now ebay is plum sold out of these things. at the time I purchased this with a buy it now, it was substantially less than the other ones on there because of the missing power cord.

here are the specs printed on this thing:

bulbs in it, filaments look good.

obviously a barrel jack

hz? watts? volts? amps? - I really don't know anything about this.
is it from 2004? 2007? the future 2026?

I searched my bag of forgotten cords, not one barrel jack that fit this, furthermore, no power cord I had matched any of these numbers aside from a few 12v - I had one that was 12vac at 330ma - that was probably the closest, but again, quick googling didn't yield me a whole lot of info, and im not going try to hard wire something in without a bit of help

so I opened it up to see what else was in there and....

personally I think this is pretty sketch. I know theres 110v coming out of the wall, and it needs a ballast to bring it down to 12v - but even still, these wires look pretty weak...

help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LobsterboyX posted:

also, xpost for visibility:

The main thing about that lamp is that it needs a transformer that turns 120V AC (from the wall) into 12V AC (to go into the lamp). Most electronics these days have 12V DC power supplies so you need to shop carefully to find an AC one. The other requirement is that the lamp says it will draw 20 Watts, so the adapter needs to handle 20/12 = 1.667 amps at a minimum. AC to AC used to be popular because it's easy to just step down house mains power 10 to 1. Many doorbells still run on it.

I found this one on Amazon which has pretty good reviews and would probably work. It's 2A, which means it can run 24 Watts max, so it should handle the 20W the lamp may want.
https://smile.amazon.com/JAMECO-RELIAPRO-GPU481202000WAOO-Adapter-Output/dp/B01N5VZ68D/

I think the only possible issue with that would be the size of the barrel jack. I can't guarantee it'll fit but they list it at 2.5mm. There's a 1.5A one they also sell with a 2.1mm barrel plug that could potentially work but I'd be concerned it wouldn't handle enough current. If you get it and it works, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a label on the transformer or write on it with a silver sharpie to indicate it's 12V AC since transformers are easy to mix up and some devices can't handle the wrong kind of power gracefully.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rexxed posted:

The main thing about that lamp is that it needs a transformer that turns 120V AC (from the wall) into 12V AC (to go into the lamp). Most electronics these days have 12V DC power supplies so you need to shop carefully to find an AC one. The other requirement is that the lamp says it will draw 20 Watts, so the adapter needs to handle 20/12 = 1.667 amps at a minimum. AC to AC used to be popular because it's easy to just step down house mains power 10 to 1. Many doorbells still run on it.

I found this one on Amazon which has pretty good reviews and would probably work. It's 2A, which means it can run 24 Watts max, so it should handle the 20W the lamp may want.
https://smile.amazon.com/JAMECO-RELIAPRO-GPU481202000WAOO-Adapter-Output/dp/B01N5VZ68D/

I think the only possible issue with that would be the size of the barrel jack. I can't guarantee it'll fit but they list it at 2.5mm. There's a 1.5A one they also sell with a 2.1mm barrel plug that could potentially work but I'd be concerned it wouldn't handle enough current. If you get it and it works, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a label on the transformer or write on it with a silver sharpie to indicate it's 12V AC since transformers are easy to mix up and some devices can't handle the wrong kind of power gracefully.

this is all right on

it looks like a 2.5mm center pin to me, so i would go with that linked one

alternately, since there's no transformer or anything in the base of that, you could put in 12V LED bulbs that fit the socket, and use a DC power supply instead. or, heck, if it's just incandescent bulbs in there now, they won't care if it's AC or DC. Resistive wire get hot and glow, lol.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My guess is that these were sold at a discount store such as Five Below. The label looks like the cheap electronic crap they sell (I bought sixteen lava lamps from them, as well as Tesla balls & such fun stuff when they still sold fun stuff) which would explain the lack of branding & dodgy UL certification label (when so labelled at all)

My wife collected Holt-Howard Pixieware, which we later found out were sold (in the 1950s) through mail order & not retail - they were in a catalog that we would later characterize as junk mail.

Another example is the kangaroo caddy, made famous in Pulp Fiction - I grew up with my Dad having one one his dresser, for watches & cufflinks & such; they have zero markings on them; they were sold through department stores like Lit's Wanamakers & Gimbels (As of last month I have the dresser, so the kangaroo & dresser are reunited)

Since that lamp takes 12V DC (I know it's marked with a (~) but I'd try DC first because I wouldn't trust that label) I would source a common power supply & change the receiver in the base to whatever that is. In the alternative (& depending on the degree of difficulty) I'd also consider changing the bulbs to whatever a USB wall-wart takes (6V?) and changing/rewiring the power port accordingly.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Thanks guys!

fits in good

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Seconding that any 12V, 2A DC wall wart will work fine, so long as the barrel plug fits. Like from an external USB hard drive, old wifi router, etc. Most people have a few kicking around their electronic junk box.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
incoming megapost

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn, I need to pick up my camera again.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I had a ton of work to handle before friday so I was unable to get my trailer before Friday AM - To my surprise a trailer showed up in front of my house at about midnight Thursday - a buddy had a uhaul and just swung it by and dropped it off - heckofaguy

the boys and I got on the road around 930 - 2 years in a row now we stop at a little town that is growing out of control called Los Alimos - for years and years it was just a sleepy little central coast town near Vandenburg AFB - with the advent of the techbro astronauts, this little town has exploded and now has a Michelin star rated sit-down joint. There's a cute little gas station turned fancy cafe that we stop at and really crass the joint up. The tourists get a kick out of an armada of vintage cars both on all 4 and in tow.

We usually arive at the ranch around 230-3, we unload our cars and get in to the "tech" line - they have a list of things that each car needs - mind you, these cars are not fast, they are all powered by flatheads, both 4 bangers and v8s - there are only a handful of cars that actually make decent power. the track is also only 1/8 mile - after that, we set up camp, then meander in to town for dinner.

We get back and get ready for the standard bullshit fest - There's a fella in our group who is an amazing cook - he will typically whip us up some after dinner snacks on a coleman stove, we'll imbibe a bit, then shuffle off to the cars/tents to get a nights rest.

while we were bullshitting, a buddy took some amazing long exposure photos of the cars around our camp

AM comes quick and we fire them up

https://i.imgur.com/teZFGvu.mp4

Typically we walk the swapmeet then show up to drivers meeting at around 830a -

Cookie made us a delicious Huevos Ranchero breakfast. so I steal off to the secret bathroom to cut a rope - which is a heavenly experience within itself

then its all racing all day... When the day begins its kind a mashup of heads up racing - doesn't matter if you race a v8 vs banger, overhead conversion... all that stuff - you can call out to the stager and tell them you wanna race whoever you want.

Last year was such a bust for me, my car was really running poorly and I only managed to get 2-3 runs in - this year I lost count after about 15-16 runs.

it was pretty hot this year, so extra precautions had to be taken

some of my favorite times happen on the return road..

This event is packed with amazing photographers that really love what they do. A lot of these guys are real professionals - what they do is so incredible -

that frame twist tho...

We break for lunch around 1230 and resume around 1 - then eliminations begin - This is a tense time, and theres a lot more than just "whos faster" at play. If you line up with the wrong people around you, you wont get a good race. This year I failed pretty heavy and got paired up with a guy that has beat me pretty much every time I face him - 4 years ago he won the class... so I knew it was over, I said my goodbyes to the announcers and got a pretty big applause - once I got knocked out I usually stop on the return road right near the finish line to watch my buddys - by the time thats over we usually have our whole friend group join us there - this year we dubbed ourselves the losers lane soda club, one of the guys came with a cooler full of vintage style bottled sodas (wholesome I know) and we just sat there watching the rest of the eliminations.

They do a trophy ceremony for the winners, then open the track up to grudge matches - Typically I'm spent and I just get the gently caress out of there, but this year was time for some big stuff..

the first 3 wide drag at this event ever.

https://i.imgur.com/Ovo19x3.mp4

We usually stop at the madonna inn on teh way back and grab a bite - then its pedal to the metal - home at 8p

I live for this weekend.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LobsterboyX posted:

This event is packed with amazing photographers that really love what they do. A lot of these guys are real professionals - what they do is so incredible -

I live for this weekend.

Love these two.

Sounds like a bangin' weekend!

Reminds me: T.R.O.G. at Wildwood was cancelled, not sure why.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Looks like a blast, that long exposure shot is :bisonyes::kiss::perfect:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Big Taint posted:

Looks like a blast, that long exposure shot is :bisonyes::kiss::perfect:

Agreed!
Wish the vids had sound (curse you, Imgur...)

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I was thinking about you today Lobsterboy. I got to interview an engine builder at his shop (i.e. a massive barn absolutely packed with engines, cars, bikes, parts). His thing is Maxwells, which I’d never heard of until today, but he has a Model T and a DeSoto and maybe some others. Told me he does a lot of Brass Era touring.

He had every kind of engine in there. Single and twin Maxwells, Model T, modern diesels, SBCs, boat engines. He built stock car and race car engines for a while. Said he’s worked on basically everything that exists, I remember he mentioned Dusenburgs a couple times. I thought of you mostly when he was talking about scrounging for rare parts or making his own when they don’t exist anymore. It was a very cool window into that world.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Old school engine builders are pretty amazing. There's a few spots like that around here still that have some mind blowing stuff lurking in them. The guys that do the really old stuff are so finite, it scares me. I remeber having some work done to the head on my 4 banger, and mentioning "I've got a few buick straight 8's" and the guy immediately said "oh no, we wont work on those, they dont fit in our machines"

more recently I called around to get some transmission work done, only to find that my main guy just up and quit! im really screwed now - the only other person I know that can do them quoted me 4500 bucks! yikes!

Anyway, I've been noticeably out of it - I've been really sick, I had what was most likely covid and a series of sinus infections that followed it that have really laid me low. I'm ok now and feeling way better.

I was outside today watering and realized I never posted about this...

for years and years my wagon has been one of my favorite cars - It goes fast, stops great and is basically a daily driver. however, it was a beach car

because of that, the rust in the roof rails and hood has always drawn the eye RIGHT to it... Jokes from friends, being awarded "most ambitious project" for years running -

what are the options? well... fix the rust... and have 100s of hours in to patching something to look factory that in all honesty, just cant be fixed without doing some customizing.

enter:

getting the dents out of these is way easier than patching rust...

so a dear friend of mine was up in seattle working for a few months, and on his way back down, he stopped in to a "honey hole" and got these drat things.

there was more...

yeah, the trunk of my 48 is also rotted.. we got the whole thing...

SO! my buddy that was coming down also bought something...

thats right a 57 Continental Mk2 - hand built... pretty amazing cars... this one makes my rusty car look like a show car - so whatever he winds up doing with it, it will probably get customized.

so here they are:

this hood for my 54 needs a big dent removed from the front here - I think the plan is to get it to a sand blaster, bring it back here, and put it in epoxy primer, work the dent and get it fit up.

the top.... you see something wrong with this? The old fella crashed in to it with the loader and put a huge dent in it right at the rear opening... dont quite know how we'll go about fixing this, but it also needs a trip to the blaster..

once we figure out what to do about the dent, we're going to chop the rusty one off my car and fit this one up.

this trunk pan is remarkably rust free... this is going to be a big job, but its been a long time coming.

its got the hole in it for the trunk latch! finally!

anyways, my wife is a saint... I need a welder now.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LobsterboyX posted:

the top.... you see something wrong with this? The old fella crashed in to it with the loader and put a huge dent in it right at the rear opening... dont quite know how we'll go about fixing this, but it also needs a trip to the blaster..

god this would make me SO loving upset. just incensed. all those decades, it stayed in perfect condition waiting for you, now here you are and some dip fucks it up for no reason.

i hope you got a hell of a deal on it after that

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Love this monumental update!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Raluek posted:

god this would make me SO loving upset. just incensed. all those decades, it stayed in perfect condition waiting for you, now here you are and some dip fucks it up for no reason.

Holy crap, I did not realize that that was the same roof...

You should be able to work that out.

If the back of yours isn't rusted, and the roof frame rails are intact & solid, another (less desireable) option is to pull the skin along the rails and section it in where it's rusted.

Or separate the dented rear frame rail from the skin, hammer out the dent, and install the roof with the rear skin over your existing rear roof frame.

That Lincoln is a hell of a score

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

:same:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Raluek posted:

literally my life... I've learned to deal. Surrounding myself with almost exclusively antiques its bound to happen.

and yes, I did get a deal on it - basically it covered the shipping cost. Originally I was just going to pay my buddy gas and time to bring the stuff to me that we'd calculate upon his return, but essentially we just wrote that off - he was originally asking 800 for just the top by itself, all the other parts were cheaper than that, I paid $1000 for all this stuff delivered. I've been so embarassed about the trunk of my 48, but the trunk panel is probably going to be the most important part.

The conti is really a mess, in all honesty, I think its the cheapest one of these has traded hands in at least the last 20-30 years. I never really looked twice at those things because of how prohibitively expensive they were, and they're kinda odd.

Looking at this one, for the price he got it for, made me kind of appreciate them. They were such a low volume, hand built car that you can trace the history of them easily. This one came from a factory owner in texas, and eventually made its way in to a collection of only mk2's when that guy passed in the late 90s, they got dispersed at an auction. This was a restoration on a fairly clean car that then spent 20 years outside, uncovered in the PNW. Pretty incredible how bad it got from that. I'll have to get pics from my buddy who bought it to show you all how bad it was.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

All I ever wanted.

Anyway, I blew the motor in my roadster last night.

Last year we started this thing called "Creepy Cruise" where we go eat somewhere, then head up to this really amazing cemetery thats way off the beaten path - no gates, no anything, its completely accessible - there are tons of pics on ig, but I dont have any to upload. the first time we did this, there was about 20 cars, last night there were about 50

heres a fun little clip my friend made -

https://i.imgur.com/lA2CiH2.mp4

he drives a 4 door 58 plymouth thats all decked out like christine, he also has one of the coolest 60s pop-top camper vans ever.

Drive started out fine, no big deal, I noticed when I'd hit the gas that I'd hear a little rattle, almost like nuts and bolts in a solo cup - The only thing I could think of it being was my air cleaners that had rattled loose -- the last time I drove it, I was doing this:

so that wouldn't shock me if they had come off again. we got to the first spot, a burger stand, and I just pulled the air cleaners and put them in the trunk. We continued on and that solo cup rattle kept coming back every time we'd leave a stop

the elevation got higher and higher and the rattle got stronger and stronger, by the time we reached the graveyard, my engine was done, it sounds like a rock tumbler when the car is driving.

these are babbit bearing bottom ends.. they do this. It used to be an easy fix, but machine shops aren't like they used to be. These engines are very plentiful and most of the time, if you find one that has good tolerances you can have one for 500 bucks or less. Having one re-done on the other hand.. not too wise financially.

The car still ran and I heard that the bottom was localized - If anything I wouldn't want to damage my high compression head, but it felt ok and shockingly drives fine with no missing or loss of power. So I drove it home

https://i.imgur.com/5ELrHvl.mp4

oddest part about this is at about 1500 RPM the knock went completely away and the car drove completely fine, I dreaded stop lights but at about 1130, we were smooth sailing.

I spent the morning changing the oil on my wagon with my son - man what an amazing feeling having your own little helper there with you. I got stung by a bee, blew the motor, and my son is sick, yet again (goddamn school kids) but I've been on cloud 9 all day because of that. We knocked off a ton off the honey-do list and he really loves working on cars with me. I'm going to enjoy that while it lasts.

So whats next.. I have this thing in the garage..

but the thing with this is that its just bolted together, not built or looked at or anything... It's got some real voodoo in it and because of its value and historical significance, I really need a pro to look at this thing and figure it out correctly, this also costs more money and time than I'd like to spend right now

to recap what that is, its a model B "diamond" block, in 1932, ford upgraded the model a engine with full pressure oiling, better cooling, more main support, a "girdle" that re-enforced the bearings and a balanced crank - these are the most desirable of the bangers, the "diamond" signifies that it was built later (up to the 1940s or 50s even) as a replacement engine. According to most, the castings are better and small things were changed that makes them the ultimate blah blah blah dick stroke blah. My motor is outfitted with Miller overhead - Yes, Harry Miller

quote:

An overhead-valve (or valve-in-head, as they were often called at the time) design, the Miller head moved both intake and exhaust valves out of the engine block and into the head where the air flow would be freer and more direct to the combustion chambers. The port arrangement was identical to the original Ford, which allowed the stock intake and exhaust manifolds to be used if the buyer desired. The distributor hole was in the same spot as well.

Miller only produced this head very briefly, although Cragar (yes, that Cragar) took over the design and continued it for several more years. Original Miller-Schofield heads like this are a rare find and they still add a lot of pep to a Model A.

Anyway, I have a line on 2 other (non crazy) engines I'm going to go scope some time this week.

So now I really have a lot of irons in the fire and a lot of car stuff that needs attention.. I was sitting in the garage just thinking... and some very, very dark thoughts crossed my mind what if I sold the belly tank

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If you have the ultimate edition of the motor in your hands it sure seems like that’s the way to go, you obviously love the car. Sell what you need to and put the time and money into the awesome engine.

You sound like you are doing what I’ve done my whole life. Acquire the great stuff but put it away “until the right time” or sell it “because it’s worth so much so I’ll just stick with what I have”.

I found a tiny example last year a box of awesome pencils and stickers and just the best of the best you could have had at school in the 80’s. Untouched and pristine that I set aside and just used garbage bc I was saving them (for when?) - now I could not care less my kids don’t want the stuff might as well throw it in the trash.

I just bought my dream Land Cruiser in Japan but I’m already thinking and knowing I won’t keep it I’ll just sell it and drive my beater just waiting for the right time (til when I’m a millionaire? Dead?)

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
So I'm waffling harder than an Ihop on what I want to do - This community is pretty funny because its one of those things where friends and aquanintences are calling me saying "oh you blew your motor huh? I have __________"

I want a known good motor, and not a one of them fits that criteria - this weekend is going to be the deciding factor, theres a model a specific swap, and there are a few people there that I'm really happy about going to see, and most likely there will be something there for me...

In the meantime, I got a tip off from an elderly friend that his friend had "two really nice A motors" and "I called him and told him you are coming, his place is cool, thank me later"

"Chick" is an 87 year old man who has built 4 amazing hot rods out of this tiny garage up in the hills - This is a 1915 Model T circle track car, he built it all himself and still races it.

the car is 100% built by him and powered by a model T drivetrain, while at first glance very similar to my A motor, but lightyears behind in tech - just watch any youtube video about how to drive a model t and you'll see whats going on with this

The garage smelled a bit funny, and I was hesitant to ask him why the car looked burned up...

but he offered up that info pretty quick without me asking

2 days before he was welding a bird feeder bracket for his wife when a few sparks jumped and lit the interior of the car on fire, he acted fast and was able to get everything extinguished before the fd showed up. Had this gotten worse, some intense history would have been lost.

he also explained that it would be back on the road for summer next year.. bad rear end old man. He also showed me some pictures on his phone from 3 months ago, when he was racing the car, went hard in to a turn and snapped a spindle, which made the other side pop and blow out one of the rear axles. That was fixed in 3 months... apparently one of his racing buddies is none other than Chip Foose. He also was talking about his T roadster with the B engine - he sold it to a really nice young fella.. he was a musician "you may know him, Joe Bonamotza" "oh you mean Joe Bonamasa?" "yeah thats him - really nice guy, he loves the car"

the whole reason I was there was to show me these

So, he wants 800 for both of these, comes with some really nice choice parts BUT - again, these are unknowns.

Chick was a machinist at Locheed in the 50s, then went on to be a firefighter from the 60s to the late 90s.. I got some incredible stories, he's also a tool box collector and we connected on having old Kennedy boxes - he also showed me his fathers Girstner box which is incredible.

anyway - more later!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

PainterofCrap posted:

drat.

Even with a bad transmission and housepaint over a bunch of dents, that's a screaming deal.

I'd kill for that intact bed.

I hate California.

I have had seen this thing on Broad St/Hwy227 for years. I'm glad its getting much needed love.

LobsterboyX posted:

I live for this weekend.

I skipped it this year stupidly, which is idiotic because I live in Santa Margarita! I should ask Samantha (runs the Rainbow Hut) if she'd be interested in doing some leather keyfobs or something for the event, she is incredible with leatherwork and works right there! My dad had his Morris engine built by Smokey, I think he still runs a car of some kind at the Ranch.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I just want to chip in that I love this thread so much. Your scene isn't my scene but dang if I couldn't see myself getting into it given the opportunity because all of that is so cool. And now the little helper? I hope my little lady shows some curiosity about what daddy does out in the barn in the next few years because, awww.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

I live in Santa Margarita!

Ok, so why didn't I know this and please come hang with us next year! its been forever!

mekilljoydammit posted:

I just want to chip in that I love this thread so much. Your scene isn't my scene but dang if I couldn't see myself getting into it given the opportunity because all of that is so cool. And now the little helper? I hope my little lady shows some curiosity about what daddy does out in the barn in the next few years because, awww.

It's not most peoples scenes, but I couldn't be happier sharing it with my kiddo, and goons of course!

Saga continues, come hell or high water:

um...

ok ok-

In the days before machine shops, Henry made these engines to be serviceable with hand tools - In each rod is a "pack" of shims - hear a rod knock, pull some shims and your back on the road. - well unless its one of your mains...

I'm a straight idiot and forgot to take pics of the process but all in all it took about 20-30 minutes - pull a cap, get the shim pack out, remove some, plastigauge it, put it back - well this was more of a hail mary considering every rod was loose - why? because the mains let go and it just started ripping itself apart.

Today I got a hall pass and me and a buddy went up to visit Mr. Pare, another ex-firefighter octogenarian that is always down to help out some younger fellas with their model a's , however this special fire fighter also ran the motor pool for fire trucks and staff cars.

Mr. Pare told me that this engine came out of a restored car he bought - He said its going to need a set of piston rings, but it did have a "diesel babbited" bottom end, balanced flywheel and brand new clutch - other parts that came with it was a restored stock carb, snyder high compression head, leakless water pump and restored/re enameled exhaust manifold -

I snapped it up - my buddy that came with me/brought the 1959 Ford custom cab pickup was a player for the intake/exhaust, carb, head and water pump - combined these parts would be well over 1000 bucks if you wanted to buy them, our deal was - he pays for the motor and I keep the long block...

we both had angry women to contend with so we both split and went off to be adults...

I'm sure I'm not alone in just wanting to tear in to a new toy, but having to be an adult gets in the way - the suspense was killing me - cranky toddler, grumpy wife, all smoothed over pretty quickly - Got back a bit later today and really tore in to the motor, removed the studs and started cleaning up the deck

oof...

enhance...

yup, thats a pretty nasty ridge, and yup, theres a lot of oil on the top end, so Mr. Pare's recommendation for rings is beyond true. The thing is this looks really drat good, not worn - to me this looks like someone put in bigger rings than they should have - the pistons are already 060 over, which in this world is no big deal, you can safely go up to 100 over, and even more if you wanna get buck wild... the motor in my car was already 080 over and that was pretty healthy.

UGH.

so here's my issues, and there's a lot:

This super clean and would require minimal machine work and a set of bigger pistons/rings - cost is low

My overhead block is exponentially more rare and way more powerful - cost is high

the goal is to run the trick motor, eventually, but I don't see this happening quickly.

there is a race early december... I want to, but I'm just not going to push myself just for that - I also have some extreme expenses coming up in my non-car life that obviously take precedence over me living an a vintage fantasy land.

I could also get the harbor freight hones and go to town on these ridges, buy a new set of rings and shade tree it

.....theres 2 more free engines waiting for me, I just have to go get them, one of them is stuck, the other "ran".

there's also 3 shipping containers filled with model a parts, tools and antiques at this guys place, hes moving and doesn't want to take it all with him, hes also bonneville 200mph club

there's also an early ford swap meet that focuses on early speed parts next weekend

pray for me...

speaking of pray...

"hey you like old poo poo right"

"its really old, from the 1800s"

"eh probably not...."

"it is, ill take it off your hands"

I'm not a religious guy, but I have a really weird feeling about this. It's obviously not in very good shape but it comes to me by way of a friend who bought land with an old house on it near Tombstone Az. The house he bought was filled with very old stuff like this, according to the lore, the family that owned this land owned a brothel, saloon and other very cowboy like businesses in and around tombstone... in the tombstone era... could it... maybe... what the hell do I do with it?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Is that a crack in the block at the top of the picture? It looks like a cracked block to me...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hang Our Lady of Guadeloupe high up in the garage.

Grab all of that stuff that you can. Tarp it in the driveway if needs must.

You keep bringing home truckloads of parts your wife will re-grump.

Ms. LBX, however, seems to have a better grasp of
1) the importance of grabbing NLA or hard-to-find stuff and
2) that this is a fundamental part of who you are.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Is that a crack in the block at the top of the picture? It looks like a cracked block to me...

That looks too straight/smooth to be a crack, it looks like someone gouged the deck slightly while cleaning a head gasket off.

I suspect it would be harder for the mains, but does nobody make a set of conrods that are stock fitment except set up for modern bearing shells instead of cast babbit? Surely there's a production engine in the last hundred years that has a close-enough bearing size available.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Looks like a scribe/witness mark to me.

Stockpile the parts that you have and are on offer.
Build two engines with backup parts revolving around their two respective uses. One that gets the car motivated again. One that gets it winning races.
The built under the shade tree engine will have more stockish parts compatibility with your stash. It'll also be a great backup to have a known runner when the trick engine is done should anything go sideways with it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
its a scratch - getting the heads off these things is a bitch and its common to see these because over the years people have used all kinds of non approved methods to remove them.

SO, talked to a few machine shops today - looks like its going to be about 3-400 bucks for the machine work to punch the holes out to 100 with new new pistons - "while your at it" someone offered me a hot cam

aaaaand of course there's bigger valves available.

https://www.secretsofspeed.com/valve-train

now lets talk about modern bearings - the kits to put insert bearings on these things are cheap, but finding a machine shop that will do it, and stand behind it is tough.

soooo

the same guy that sold me this one has another one that may be a better runner for 300 bucks, if your keeping count:

The race/rare engine:

the price was 7000 and it came with a 1935 for truck - I sold the truck for 6000 and this motor cost me $1000

this new engine cost $500, I sold $300 worth of stuff from it to make this engine $200 bucks.

2 engines owned, $1200

2 more engines, $free

this new one that enters the fold... $300

If I buy that one, that will make $1500 across 5 model a engines.

UGH

The more I wrack my brain about this the more I keep focusing on this simple fact - I don't want 5 model a engines, I want one good flathead and my good overhead.

here's my plan as of right now - I'm going to find the right machine shop and have them work on this new engine I just bought. I'm going to do really basic stuff.

flux the block
deck the deck
Poke the holes out to 100 over
new pistons
cam
valve job - not bigger... just stock freshen up
check tolerances/polish crank

I'm assuming this is going to be about 5-600 bucks.

I think this is a small price to get back on the road -

After that, I need to find the right people to help me with my overhead build and get that going. - when that happens, I want to go all the way. Proper transmission, rear end - everything perfect, but until then, I need more smiles per gallon.

PainterofCrap posted:

Hang Our Lady of Guadeloupe high up in the garage.

Grab all of that stuff that you can. Tarp it in the driveway if needs must.

You keep bringing home truckloads of parts your wife will re-grump.

Ms. LBX, however, seems to have a better grasp of
1) the importance of grabbing NLA or hard-to-find stuff and
2) that this is a fundamental part of who you are.

Shes a saint, and she gets it.

One day soon I'm going to get her a new old car, she just has to make up her drat mind. I've offered her the use of any and all of mine, but I know she really wants something to call her own.

when she sold her car, it was more than time for that - I didn't force her one bit- it was just the right time for her.

old photo, but it speaks volumes to what our family is about

and what I was about as a kid

this past weekend, I treated her to some tattoo work to show my appreciation to her being a great mom and a great wife.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
back to square one..

I'll start with the good news, I got my money's worth

brand new timing gear

fresh flywheel

safety wired everything... so clean and nice.

new clutch and oil pump not pictured - sweet! I ordered pistons and rings, a rebuild gasket set.. the works.

everything was coming apart so easily..

the garage was giving me massive tingles - cold nights, oily rags, lanterns burning, smells, feelings.. masking traumas with eye rolling sensations of time travel - period correct music... it feels really good.

so me and my boy started tearing down the old block

- My plan was to take all the aluminum stuff to the polisher, meanwhile, my pistons arrived

my bench is looking like a hop up catalog...

so then the doubt started to creep in..

man that cam looks pretty worn in

why is this rod cap so scored..

eh...

I've been really busy, and I wanted to take my time to make a way to store my parts in the right order so I could put them back after I got the block back from the machine shop.

all the rods done.. still doing ok.

time for the rear main

ur done..

So I'm feeling pretty dejected right now, but thats the nature of this crap.

I just closed up the shop and came in.

pros:

I really haven't spent that much money.

The money I have spent is on completely usable new parts.

I'm having fun with my kid and it is very cathartic for me to be doing this.

cons;

my car isn't running

I think what I'm going to do is start to tear in to my overhead...

in other news

I've been driving my wagon almost daily

this old BBQ joint recently went out of business. I stopped by to get a pic before they tear it down. Years ago I'd eat here once a week. Family owned for nearly 80 years.

My company has an arm that handles product licensing. they are on the other side of the building from me and we don't often work with eachother, with all this soccer stuff going on, theres a lot of activity in the kitchen area near the TV, so when I'd pass thru and make a snarky comment, my closer co-workers would say "dont you have some engine rebuild you have to attend to" or some other light hearted dig - anyway, one of the guys on the other side said "hey come over to my desk after lunch" - when I did, he gave me a giant box of Texaco and Standard oil signs and clocks.. I guess we handle their stuff - these are all samples

I just put a ton of them up in my sons room, and now I have a bunch of fun stuff to find room for in the garage.

anyway... I gotta figure out whats next for the model a, next race is in March!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
The right side lock wire is on backwards:

Also the loop around the top bolt isn't technically correct. It should wrap up around the top.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

chrisgt posted:

The right side lock wire is on backwards:

Also the loop around the top bolt isn't technically correct. It should wrap up around the top.

Noticed that, too. If it's a right-hand thread, that wire is wanting to loosen the bolt. That said, it won't go far.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

We're having a discussion about how best to use the manual spark advance in Hadlock's Citroen Traction-Avant thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3997511&pagenumber=5

I posted a suggestion from a Model A thread in the AACA site, but it led me to think of you: You do not have manual advance on your roadster, do you?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

We're having a discussion about how best to use the manual spark advance in Hadlock's Citroen Traction-Avant thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3997511&pagenumber=5

I posted a suggestion from a Model A thread in the AACA site, but it led me to think of you: You do not have manual advance on your roadster, do you?

my response in that thread

LobsterboyX posted:

Advance, retard.?

PainterOfCrap invited me - I'm just here to echo what he posted from the model a forums, seems like youve got a handle of it, but maybe this will help.

The rule of thumb I used when I still had the manual advance distributor and the archaic updraft carb was this:

To start the car I would have to adjust to full retarded

crank the car and literally just flip the choke in and out

the car would start and sound like a galloping horse, the usual sound effect you hear in movies and TV when they show a very old car, sometimes it would even pop and diesel when it was in this condition.

I'd typically just throw it in full advance and just drive on that in all conditions. I didn't keep this setup for too long, it was a pain in the rear end and made horrible power

you'd do this to prevent damaging the starter, which in stock form, the bendix springs were very prone to breaking. at some point henry developed a bulletproof bendix that was used in the ford farm implements that eventually found their way in to the hot rodders lexicon.

another hilarious benefit to this was that occasionally you could get a "free start" - if the car was warm, you could turn the ignition on and quickly slam the advance lever down, this would break the points and fire the coil and the car would pop itself to life. I was only able to do this a handful of times before I got my self advancing distributor, but the old timers claim they know their car so well that they will start their car like this "all summer long"

not really in the same wheelhouse as this, but putting a more modern (1940s) setup on a late 20s car really helped things - an aftermarket centrifugal advance dual point distributor, high compression head (6.75:1 :lol:) and a downdraft stromberg 2 barrel carb makes them extremely drivable.

one thing to note that may help is that when installing this upgrade part, you set the timing at an audacious 15-20 degrees of advance, which tells me that that lever really did have a huge amount of travel.

in other news, I've been working... a lot

and have a lot of other poo poo going on

Last weekend I had my house tented, what a fuckin nightmare! to add to it - I decided to take my wagon so it wasn't sitting at an abandoned house for a weekend, day 1 I ran out of gas...

day 2 was raining and the car got soaked, I spent hours cleaning it out but its still musty.

When I got back to work on Tuesday, the head secretary at my office said "hey I have something for you" and proceeded to give me these 3 vintage lanterns - she had overheard me talking to a co worker about my facination with these - very kind of her. I wound up giving the blue one to another co-worker to start her own collection of lanterns she said she'd just put it on her patio or someshit.

later in the week I decided to buy this giant associated oil sign from my friend/barber

then I got some sad news - When we were younger my friend worked at a hot rod shop owned by a guy called "Frantic" Fred Badberg - cool name, great guy - after work I'd cruise over there and we'd just shoot the poo poo for hours and hours, my friend and Fred worked together for many many years, when my buddy wanted to start a family, he parted ways with Fred and got a better paying job, but remained frends with Fred forever. We'd see him at shows, at functions for my friend and pretty much every time I went to a particular auto parts store which was directly next door to his shop. In '21 Fred decided to close the doors of his shop and work at his home - mind you, he was in his mid 80s. We all went over there to buy peices of the history of this shop - and the contents of the shop were mostly liquidated , I have a lot of artifacts from the place. There were no surprises with Fred, he was a real pioneer in hot rodding and car building his whole life. I got a call from a mutual friend who told me ha passed away last weekend. It was one of those things that effected me more than I thought it would. RIP Frantic.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RIP Frantic, those look like some absolutely righteous rides.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

RIP Frantic Fred. The cohort of wrenching rodders is thinning.

:stare:
Please do explain the tenting…I have never seen this.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PainterofCrap posted:

Termite tenting is super common in the south, and I guess California as well. It’s really heavy duty anti-termite fumigation, basically. Takes a day or three.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's super common in the Southeast, too. The house gets sealed with heavy duty tarps and its mass fumigated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

PainterofCrap posted:

I am genuinely shocked that a man of your... experience hasn't seen a fumigation tent. This is not a dig, I'm just surprised.

Hope the LobsterbaseX makes it out the other side unscathed and pest free.