Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
A lot of the stuff in that trilogy, like Hubertus Bigend, seems really on the nose if you read it now until you remember Pattern Recognition came out in 2003.

There's been a couple of times Gibson has tweeted out current events news and been like "If I had put this in one of my books I would have been accused of being too cute with it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Pattern Recognition is my least favorite book of his, but I think I'm unusual in that respect, and I don't think it's a bad book, so it's not a terrible place to start. I still think Neuromancer is the best place to start, since it's one of his best.

The problem with Neuromancer as a starting point now is that it is so very much a 1980s vision of the future (e.g. 'It is the world to come, but with no wifi or cellphones') and some readers can't get past that. If you can, or are :corsair: like me, it's a great book and Gibson is still clearly interested in some of the issues from it. (Messing around with the implications of AI in Agency)

I send people to Pattern Recognition because I think it's really very good, deals with most of the Gibson-y themes you'll see in most of his work, and isn't quite so dated. Though I guess by now it might be getting there.

Of the Blue Ant trilogy, Zero History was the one that just doesn't work at all for me. Spook Country I actually quite liked once I figured out what the heck was going on, but Zero History feels like a story he's already told a couple times.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The idea of a web forum painstakingly investigating frames of a mystery film seems very dated now to be fair. In fact the idea of a web forum for seems incredibly dated :v:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
The painstaking dissection of every frame of a movie absolutely sounds like something that would happen currently.

You're also absolutely right re: the web forum, though.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the footage is just a fictionalized version of those old arg things except spookier. though i think Pattern Recognition may actually predate the first of those. not sure of the timeline.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 14, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

uber_stoat posted:

the footage is just a fictionalized version of those old arg things except spookier. though i think Pattern Recognition may actually predate the first of those. not sure of the timeline.

It came out in 2003 but I do remember a couple of ARG type things from around that time. One involved a hiker finding an old camera in the desert that was full of all sorts of spooky blurry images. It was big on live journal.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

evenworse username posted:

The painstaking dissection of every frame of a movie absolutely sounds like something that would happen currently.

You're also absolutely right re: the web forum, though.

The thing that dates Pattern Recognition is the complete absence of Youtube.

evenworse username posted:

The problem with Neuromancer as a starting point now is that it is so very much a 1980s vision of the future (e.g. 'It is the world to come, but with no wifi or cellphones') and some readers can't get past that. If you can, or are :corsair: like me, it's a great book and Gibson is still clearly interested in some of the issues from it. (Messing around with the implications of AI in Agency)

I send people to Pattern Recognition because I think it's really very good, deals with most of the Gibson-y themes you'll see in most of his work, and isn't quite so dated. Though I guess by now it might be getting there.

Of the Blue Ant trilogy, Zero History was the one that just doesn't work at all for me. Spook Country I actually quite liked once I figured out what the heck was going on, but Zero History feels like a story he's already told a couple times.

The problem with Neuromancer is that nobody born in the last 20 years has a point of reference for the opening sentence.

I think Pattern Recognition dates itself just about as much as Neuromancer because it is set in a slice of very particularly post-9/11 time. This is why I like to start people off with Virtual Light. It still feels like a future that is coming to pass.

Also, the Bridge Trilogy is still his best sustained effort.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i think ultimately the thing that holds Neuromancer back the most is that it's really the only thing of his that has any hint of being enamored with how cool cyberpunk is, you know? all his other stuff has a very world-weary, pragmatic view on the dystopias he writes about, but Neuromancer has a lot of that kind of Bruce Sterling or Neal Stephenson attitude. y'know, mirror shades and all that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
which is why it's funny and cool when he himself pokes fun at this in Mona Lisa Overdrive, with the Finn telling Molly that Case moved to the suburbs

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Why are those "air scrubbers" giant gaudy statues? That's what's bugging me the most about this show.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why are those "air scrubbers" giant gaudy statues? That's what's bugging me the most about this show.

affectations of the rich, I guess

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

the whole world is an art project for the tiny little plutocratic rump of the human race that still exists.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why would they not be? Might as well do something ostentatious. Why is Grand Central Station like that, when it could be a flat-roofed shed?

Even now we disguise cellphone towers as trees.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I don't know. It just looks out of place. Any big structures that have been built or are planned in the real world have way more modern looks. E.g. something that looks like "The Vessel", or whatever big rear end stuff they have built or are building in UAE and vicinity.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't know. It just looks out of place. Any big structures that have been built or are planned in the real world have way more modern looks. E.g. something that looks like "The Vessel", or whatever big rear end stuff they have built or are building in UAE and vicinity.

in the book the architecture takes this thing as its touchstone so i guess they just decided to go a different direction with it.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Combat Pretzel posted:

Future Britain is doing a lot of reaching into the imagined past with the mandatory cosplay zones and the tiny Trafalgar reenactments and so on so the enormous quasi-classical statues seem to be of a piece with that.

Like, if the Victorians could have build giant gaudy statues like that, they 100% would have.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
britain is a very silly place; future britain, doubly so

edit: not just making a joke, in the novel it is quite canon that the people running the world in the future are incredibly silly and they do all kinds of very silly things

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It would look like every other goddamn sci-fi show if the scrubbers looked like fancy future things so I'm glad they made them into a more interesting option.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa, I missed the premiere but just watched the pilot and it's gooood. The first time she was in the new VR thing I thought "I sure as hell would want to know how to GTFO" and welp.

I've read Neuromancer years ago but nothing else since by Gibson unfortunately. Would it make sense to read the book before the rest of the show? Or afterwards?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

mobby_6kl posted:

I've read Neuromancer years ago but nothing else since by Gibson unfortunately. Would it make sense to read the book before the rest of the show? Or afterwards?
Probably either is fine.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
They're diverging enough from the book plot that I don't think you'll spoil yourself or anything reading the book while you're watching the show.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Alright, thanks, I'll try to read it if I have some time while catching up on the series :)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

precision posted:

i think ultimately the thing that holds Neuromancer back the most is that it's really the only thing of his that has any hint of being enamored with how cool cyberpunk is, you know? all his other stuff has a very world-weary, pragmatic view on the dystopias he writes about, but Neuromancer has a lot of that kind of Bruce Sterling or Neal Stephenson attitude. y'know, mirror shades and all that

I don't think that's right. Gibson definitely thinks the Bay Bridge is this super cool interstitial place in the Bridge novels, and his massive hardons for London and Tokyo poke through the pages of Idoru and Mona Lisa Overdrive respectively (and to a lesser extent in Pattern Recognition and Zero History).

I think that impression comes across in Neuromancer because it's Case's impression for the first part of the novel, and he's the only focal character in it. I think his impression changes as the novel goes on too.

I'd also add that I'm pretty sure Stephenson is taking the piss in Snowcrash, and while Sterling's protagonists always think they're the coolest dudes in the room, Sterling himself doesn't necessarily agree with them.

The biggest difference between Neuromancer and Gibson's later works to me is a structural one. It has one focal character following one narrative thread throughout, unlike every other novel* of his that has multiple focal characters on multiple threads that come together for a finale.

E* Oops, except Pattern Recognition which also follows only a single focal character, with (un)coincidentally, a very similar name.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 15, 2022

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
man burton must hate cops, tommy can't catch a break with anyone

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Umm the monied class of the uk is obsessed, or at least has been, with ancient Greece and Rome (Republic and Empire), to an insane degree.

For example:

A Victorian (Macaulay) wrote The Lays of Ancient Rome, of which Winston Churchill prove his intellectual worth by reciting all 70 stanzas of Horatius Cocles. Memorising Horatius Cocles was expected of all pupils who went to the most exclusive private schools.

Thomas Babington Macaulay posted:

XXVII

Then out spake brave Horatius,
The Captain of the Gate:
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods,

Classical statues are not surprising at all.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The terrible writing in this show is starting to grate on me. I like all the actors, the production design, the changes from the book, the special effects (everything looks quite impressive, really) and so on. But the scripts are really getting me down and episode 6 is the worst. So many people quipping at each other. I don't want to be the guy who says "everything is trying to be a Marvel movie and every Marvel movie is trying to be Joss Whedon" but... it's pretty accurate for a lot of this show. I like Marvel movies but that's not the tone I want for a show about the PTSD, let alone a show about the loving Jackpot. It's annoying all the time but I think it's the worst when it comes to Lowbeer whom they've turned into a sarcastic quipster. She's one of my favorite characters from the book and a lot of that seems like it's gone. Giving her a sidekick to quip with is pretty emblematic of the issue. One of her biggest traits in the book is how much of a solo actor she is (or appears to be). Gonna keep watching, but through gritted teeth whenever the quipping starts up.

Also, in this episode, Flynn seems to know what neoprims are, this despite the fact that I'm not sure anyone has explained this to her yet, right? And I don't think the viewer even knows who they are in the context of the show, right?

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
It is still something worth putting on in the background, but ever since the explanation of the Jackpot the quality has seemed to fall off a cliff. Luckily the villains were always corny trash though!

Lowbeer was giving me some of that Aughts energy where a magical LGBT character fixes everything.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Lowbeer is seventeen steps ahead of everyone else at all times, so being all quippy fits her character and necessitates a sidekick off whom she can bounce those quips.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

As someone who hasn't read the book(s) I've been enjoying the series so far. I was going to complain about how the haptics seemed too advanced for a series that takes place 10 years in the future but then they explained it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If lowbeer has arrived I guess I need to watch l finish watching this

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i almost never don't finish a piece of media i start but im about to ready player one this thing. i haven't been able to bring myself to watch past episode 3

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
at this rate we could combine with the westworld thread and there probably wouldn't be a difference!!

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

boar guy posted:

i almost never don't finish a piece of media i start but im about to ready player one this thing. i haven't been able to bring myself to watch past episode 3

Thank you for your service.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'll see it out to the end.

I like the cast, the production design, and it looks like I imagined the novel. I don't like the deviations from the original story, and see no reason for doing so. Why is Aelita now Nethertons sister, why is Netherton not a drunk dork? Why is Flynne suddenly a martial arts expert? Why is there a scenery chewing villian?

Taken as it's own piece of work seperate from the book it's fine I guess.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just caught up with the series and while the first couple episodes were definitely the strongest, it doesn't seem to be like Westworld-bad at all? Only a couple of episodes left anyway so I see no reasons not to finish this season :shrug:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

keep punching joe posted:

Why is Flynne suddenly a martial arts expert? Why is there a scenery chewing villian?

These two have easy answers. Flynne is an expert virtual gamer, which is why she was recruited to pilot the peri by Aelita in the first place. And, it's a TV show.

I love the novel, and I like this show. I get not liking the changes from the former to the latter, but they all strike me as adapting the story to the conventions of streaming television. Would it be a better show had it defied or ignored those conventions? Probably. But it also probably wouldn't have got made.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The show has a little too much Big Dad Show energy any time military stuff happens

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I'm only on episode 3, but I'm really enjoying this. I find the dates and tech implausible at best, but that's really just a minor nitpick, not some huhe flaw or whatever.

I've read some Gibson, but not the source for this. Definitely think I'll check it out.

Edit: I had been calling the cop guy "that Lincoln Clay looking mfer" in my mind, but then I saw that yeah, that was intentional. He's Lincoln Clay, I'm just stupid

Edit 2: that wasp death scene had no need nor right to be that funny

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 22, 2022

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They were bees!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No, not thee bees!