Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Kenning posted:

My man, you just reminded me to pick up some cassis and drink kirs for a few weeks.

You're gonna have a classy few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Kind off topic for the thread, but audience specific--I'm unexpectedly heading into DC for the weekend. Does anybody have any cocktail bars that cocktail nerds would recommend in DC?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This exact question came up once before, and as I did then I'll plug https://www.allegory-dc.com/

Fun little speakeasy place if you're in the K Street area.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Data Graham posted:

This exact question came up once before, and as I did then I'll plug https://www.allegory-dc.com/

Fun little speakeasy place if you're in the K Street area.

Heck yeah, I absolutely will be, if only to stop here! Thanks for the lead.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

piL posted:

Kind off topic for the thread, but audience specific--I'm unexpectedly heading into DC for the weekend. Does anybody have any cocktail bars that cocktail nerds would recommend in DC?

Paging Fart Car ‘97

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Maestro posted:

Paging Fart Car ‘97

As an ex allegory bartender I can obviously recommend allegory.

Silver Lyan is the current king of the DC cocktail castle (and if you're going there drop by the bar upstairs and say hi to me!)

In no particular order:
OKPB
Amazon Bar/Causa
Service Bar
The Game
Dram and Grain
Bar Charley
Green Zone
Left Door
Last Call
Astoria
Copycat Co.
JaneJane
McLellans Retreat
The Fountain Inn

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Fart Car '97 posted:

Silver Lyan is the current king of the DC cocktail castle (and if you're going there drop by the bar upstairs and say hi to me!)

In no particular order:
OKPB
Amazon Bar/Causa
Service Bar
The Game
Dram and Grain
Bar Charley
Green Zone
Left Door
Last Call
Astoria
Copycat Co.
JaneJane
McLellans Retreat
The Fountain Inn

An actual hero--I'll definitely stop by!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any Thanksgiving drinks you guys are planning to make? I was planning on 8oz of bourbon with a Luxardo cherry, but my wife wanted it to be more “festive”.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

8oz Bourbon
1oz Becherovka
2 cherries

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I bought a pint of Jeni's Boozy Eggnog ice cream, and I'm going to pour whiskey on it

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

If you live in an apple growing region Whiskey Ciders are always a crowd pleaser.

2oz 100 proof bourbon
2oz fresh apple cider
.5oz fresh lemon
Shake and strain over a big rock, if the drinker likes a spiced variation float a dash or two of ango.

If the weather is conducive to outdoor activities a hot variation is great too. Just heat, but don’t boil, a generous portion of the cider with some cinnamon sticks and lemon/orange peels then ladle into a mug over the aforementioned bourbon and lemon juice. This can easily be kept at temp in a crock pot, ditto the ango option.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Fart Car '97 posted:

In no particular order:
OKPB
Amazon Bar/Causa
Service Bar
The Game
Dram and Grain
Bar Charley
Green Zone
Left Door
Last Call
Astoria
Copycat Co.
JaneJane
McLellans Retreat
The Fountain Inn

Seconding Silver Lyan, went there when I was in DC last month and everything I tried was awesome.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Fart Car '97 posted:

In no particular order:
OKPB
Amazon Bar/Causa
Service Bar
The Game
Dram and Grain
Bar Charley
Green Zone
Left Door
Last Call
Astoria
Copycat Co.
JaneJane
McLellans Retreat
The Fountain Inn

Silver Lyan is indeed awesome. As to the rest of these, let me put in a particular plug for Green Zone. It's the most unique of these, in that it's a middle eastern cocktail bar, and that really influences all their drinks, snacks, outlook. Definitely worth stopping in, and then you're there on 18th Street for further eating/drinking/shenanigans.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I just spent a week in Israel and I drank so. much. Arak.

It's real good y'all

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Made the Legend cocktail after all the hype in this thread and it was pretty disappointing imo. It tasted astoundingly muted for something with Smith and Cross and Amaro Nonino in it.

I used:
Pierre Ferrand 1840
Amaro Nonino
Smith and Cross
Mil Pesetas Amontillado
1 dash Angosturra
1 dash Bitter Housewife Cardamom
I also used a white rich simple as I don’t have any demerrara gum made up, but I don’t see that as a deciding factor.

The flavor was raisiny and caramel with the slightest hint of spice. Very mild. I almost feel as if it were overdiluted, but I think you’re pretty hard pressed to overdilute a stirred cocktail.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

Made the Legend cocktail after all the hype in this thread and it was pretty disappointing imo.
Same, good flavor but too sweet, I have no idea what the Simple is doing in there.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Anonymous Robot posted:

I almost feel as if it were overdiluted, but I think you’re pretty hard pressed to overdilute a stirred cocktail.

It's pretty easy to do actually! If your ice isn't dry, or a shape you're not used to, or you get distracted while stirring, for instance. I haven't had that cocktail before and couldn't help you more specifically than that but overdiluting stirred drinks is definitely something you should be cautious of, especially ones that are delicately balanced (like I think this cocktail might be).

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Silver Lyan was indeed great. I tried stopping by upstairs but I didn't see any obviously goony people to harass, so I chose to harass nobody and just sip my French 75. I tried to go to Jane Jane, but it was a bit crowded to be alone at, so I moseyed to the Green Room which has been absolutely astounding. I love the feel of busy competent places and observing the flow.

I can feel my cognitive competence is starting to wane, but there's a lot of nice seeming bars nearby. I will need water.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

All good choices. I used to live above Jane Jane so the wife and I would just go down at like 5:15 for a chill drunk, but yeah any time after that it was a zoo. Left door being one block away was always a nice backup plan.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So the wife and I are planning a vacation in Charleston next year, what are some good bars there we might want to check out?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
We went in 2015 but the places I remember having a good time at that are still open are The Gin Joint, The Rarebit, Xiao Bao Biscuit.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Seconding the Gin Joint.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I just spent a week in Charleston for a wedding! Wonderful city. It was the middle of October and we never needed more than a light sweater.

More eating than drinking.

Early Bird Diner for breakfast was awesome. Fried chicken sandwich with pimento cheese, yes please.

Renzo was a cute spot with some tasty pizzas and the broccolini was fantastic.

Leon’s for sure. Fried chicken and oysters. Busy.

The Dewberry was the rooftop bar where the bride works. Beautiful spot, best view of the city. Reservation only kind of spot. Try to go when it’s not raining and get out on the patio.

Rusty Bull is the brewery/taproom where the groom works. Good beer, cool spot, and they have liquor too.

Saw Peyton Manning at 167 Raw oyster bar. Cool spot and they have a second sushi location.

Poogan’s Porch was pretty good but it’s right next to Husk and that place is mandatory. Spent like $400 for the two of us but the smoked rabbit tenderloin wrapped in Berkshire ham with smoky grits and mushrooms was the highlight of the trip. I don’t eat pork but I made an exception that week.

Bowens Island Restaurant is a neat spot on the water, if you like to eat a lot of peel n eat shrimp, crab cakes, fried fish, etc. saw some river dolphins frolicking. Great view.

We didn’t make it to Xiao Bao, Glass Onion, The Ordinary, or Magnolia’s, but they were on the list. My partner liked the Gin Joint while we were doing bachelor party steaks at Burwells before heading to Macs Place and then Burns Alley tavern for a little dive bar karaoke. The street meat cheesesteak sandwich outside of Burns Alley was honestly maybe the second best food of the trip, and that’s saying a lot. But we were a few drinks deep at that point.

Really, really enjoyed our time there. Very walkable city. Didn’t do a lot of sightseeing but we enjoyed a walking ghost tour at least.

Edit: we did ok with Lyft, but the locals were saying the pedi cabs are the way to go. The bars will call one for you and it’s easier to navigate downtown. Cheaper too.

Edit 2: forgot Rodney Scott’s BBQ. They said it’s the best in the city. Smokehouse style. Delicious, amazing Mac n cheese

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 13, 2022

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Anonymous Robot posted:

The flavor was raisiny

Maybe you just don't like Amontillado sherry, I personally don't, so I haven't made it. Gives you a lot of raisin notes.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I’ve made it to spec again and tweaked the recipe a few ways and I have come to the decision that it’s just a boring drink.

Now I have a bottle of Nonino to figure out how to use. It’s fine for sipping but it’s a bit sweet for my tastes, I’d prefer something more bitter or crisp.

I originally planned on batching some Legends for Thanksgiving, but now I’m thinking of making up some of these with the cognac: https://imbibemagazine.com/recipe/leminent-fig-by-chris-hannah/

A French 75 variation seems like a crowd pleaser. If I do make that, I’ll probably make iced tea using the Cook’s Illustrated method rather than just brew tea and let it cool as is suggested in the recipe. I think that must be an improvement.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

A lot of the times when you pass a recipe on to a publication you'll modify it to be doable by the home bartender. I did the exact same thing earlier this year with garden and gun: published an old fashioned recipe that calls for marmalade jam. The version of that drink we make in-house uses a marmalade syrup made with bitter orange peels. Sometimes this has the result of the home version being not as good when you make it yourself.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

A God drat Ghost posted:

Just made a big batch of Alton Brown's aged eggnog recipe. I used Hennessy, Maker's, and split the rum between Gosling's black rum and a smaller proportion of Smith & Cross. I would've preferred Hamilton or a mix with Plantation dark, but my local liquor store had a really abysmal rum selection this time so I did my best.

I just made Alton's aged recipe too. I kinda wish I split the rum a bit, went all S&C and that's all I got from the nose. Used old Grand-dad bottled in bond and Pierre ferrand 1840. Only get S&C. I'm sure I'd miss the other flavors if they weren't there, but I'm hoping it mellows as it ages. Got the main batch I'm saving for Xmas in a growler, and taking tastes from a mason jar of overflow periodically before then cause I'm impatient.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’ve made it to spec again and tweaked the recipe a few ways and I have come to the decision that it’s just a boring drink.

Now I have a bottle of Nonino to figure out how to use. It’s fine for sipping but it’s a bit sweet for my tastes, I’d prefer something more bitter or crisp.

I originally planned on batching some Legends for Thanksgiving, but now I’m thinking of making up some of these with the cognac: https://imbibemagazine.com/recipe/leminent-fig-by-chris-hannah/

A French 75 variation seems like a crowd pleaser. If I do make that, I’ll probably make iced tea using the Cook’s Illustrated method rather than just brew tea and let it cool as is suggested in the recipe. I think that must be an improvement.

the other Well-Known Nonino Cocktail is the Paper Plane, it's a little more straightforward than the Legend:

3/4oz bourbon
3/4oz Aperol
3/4oz Nonino
3/4oz lemon juice

I usually up everything to 1oz for the bit. Swapping out the Aperol for Campari is my next modification, but as-is it's pretty drat good as well.

e: I prefer rye over bourbon in it, but I prefer rye over bourbon for most things so YMMV

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 15, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Any way to spruce up a rum and coke? My buddy doesn't give a poo poo about my "fancy" cocktails and just likes rum and cokes. I want to make him something that ups it just a tad. I was thinking like 1/2 lemon or lime and maybe a dash of some sort of bitters.

Also use different types of rum, a la a mai tai. 1/2 agricole/1/2 jamaican or something like that.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Different types of bitters and rums are nice, a lot of that falls under personal preference though. Maybe a shot of Averna in there?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Half an ounce or so of lime is necessary, and float a couple dashes of ango on top is a nice touch. Much more than that and it’s nearly not a Cuba Libre anymore.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

switch out the coke for ginger beer :fingerguns:

honestly though a Legally Distinct From Dark & Stormy is probably my favorite "work sucked i'm lazy gently caress it" drink. 2oz of dark Jamaican (S&C if I feel like getting blasted very quickly), 1oz lime juice (less to taste but I like it), top with a good ginger beer (personal ranking Q>Fever Tree>Fentimans).

Someone here or another thread mentioned a regional or something way to do it which is rum->ginger beer/lime juice, no stirring, and I'm a big fan of that tbh.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Any way to spruce up a rum and coke? My buddy doesn't give a poo poo about my "fancy" cocktails and just likes rum and cokes. I want to make him something that ups it just a tad. I was thinking like 1/2 lemon or lime and maybe a dash of some sort of bitters.

Also use different types of rum, a la a mai tai. 1/2 agricole/1/2 jamaican or something like that.

Adding a dash of aromatic bitters is an immediate improvement. Lime is a must, and this is a drink where muddling it in the glass will serve you well. If you want to go the extra mile, pick up some Fentiman’s Curiosity Cola, or just Mexican Coke. Also important is that you actually do consider your ratio of spirit to mixer, don’t just top to fill the glass.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My father in law gave me a bottle of Jack Daniels Honey. Are there any good cocktails I can make with it?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Make him a Fernet con Coca instead :catdrugs:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

Make him a Fernet con Coca instead :catdrugs:

:hmmyes:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Waltzing Along posted:

Throw a half oz of gin in there, squeeze of lime quarter, and a couple dashes of bitters. Voila—improved Cuba libre.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hell, to me that recipe just is a Cuba Libre. I'm going to try that Negroni with rum, though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Hell, to me that recipe just is a Cuba Libre. I'm going to try that Negroni with rum, though.

Negronis are great but the Kingstin Negroni is unbelievable, highly recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I’ve never considered gin in a Cuba Libre! Sounds intriguing.