Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
That ‘s a support spirit? We’ve been finding it an absolute monster when just pushed ahead a little bit

E: Oh whoops, I think I meant Serpent Slumbering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Impermanent posted:

Biannual reminder that I simply cannot stop playing spirit island. I've started actually gunning for the harder difficulties and while it does reveal that overall the spirit island team is still learning how to balance spirits in terms of raw power, they've become exceedingly good at making each spirit interesting and engaging to play even at very high difficulty levels.

I think the balance overall is actually pretty good, even if it's still imperfect. JE improved things quite a bit between fleshing out the power deck and patching Shadows with better aspects, and the new class of spirits is generally pretty even. A lot depends on adversary matchup too, especially with the new additions in JE; it's a lot harder for spirits to be universally good or universally bad.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's less that some spirits are too weak to function or do things, more that a few are extremely consistent powerhouses. The time spirit and rampant growth spring to mind.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Broken Loose posted:

is it meeple/meeples or is it merson/meeple?

Holy poo poo

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Impermanent posted:

It's less that some spirits are too weak to function or do things, more that a few are extremely consistent powerhouses. The time spirit and rampant growth spring to mind.

Rampant growth is probably the best spirit in the game, yeah. It's not just moss dude, though, the generic support powers are a bit too strong too. I assume it's by design, to encourage cooperation. I think it works well, as the end result is players going "oh awesome, I got twinned days/constancy/whatever" and immediately working on sick combos with the rest of the team.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We played a 4 player game of Volcano/Many Minds/River/Lure last night and it ended up being pretty wild. Volcano and Lure basically had empty boards (on opposite corners of the island) and River/Many Minds were the opposite, with huge but often neutralized Invader communities that were getting shoved out to Volcano and Lure boards to die.

Won by mass fear but it was close.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I just got Horizons of Spirit Island and I have to say it feels like a very quality product. Haven't read the rulebook or anything but the glossy rulebook is nice and the components all seem richly printed. Maybe I just played too many 50yo copies of Monopoly lately but this seems pretty good for $30.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

S.J. posted:

Holy poo poo

Who isthis man aside from a person with a very funny rap sheet

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My alt account

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Who isthis man aside from a person with a very funny rap sheet

B. Loose was a thread regular for a long time and recced good rear end games and tried to kickstart their own cool looking game which unfortunately didn’t work out. I’m glad if they’re back.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Got a question and some venting for anyone that has played Unlock: Game Adventures, specifically the Mysterium-based one: Is there literally any way in the game to get the 'S' card, the only thing that mentions that there are multiple culprits? Nothing, not even the hint given during the selection, make you think that there is another vision card to get, and only after my partner and I discover that from getting the solution did we realize the heterochromia eyes meant something. It was pretty bullshit, considering that not only does it go against what the game is telling you and what you've done up to this point, it also goes against how one plays Mysterium.

There's also the note that tells someone to meet in front of the bookcase but we figured that was just a written conversation between the victim and the murderer.

It was a frustrating end to the session.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Just got back from a long weekend of playing games with friends. We got an AirBnB rental and spent 2 and a half days playing board games. Everyone brought games, so I don't remember everything off the top of my head, but I took Istanbul, Spirit Island and Kemet: Blood and Sand, and we got in 5 player games of all three. Spirit Island at 5 gets pretty wild towards the end game, with everything that can happen.

Related, but what do people use to store that game, with all the expansions? I got the Folder Space insert that holds the base game with Branch & Claw, but I didn't know if there was anything else good out there. Broken Token has a big storage crate, but I didn't know if they were still run buy a sex pest.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
When you're done with your PnP game, you just have to toss it, right? Nobody wants your old poker chips with glued on iconography, I assume. (I've got Blood on the Clocktower now, so I just need to toss my PnP set, yeah?)

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
You could check with local game group on Facebook if there is one but other than that yeah

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Funzo posted:

Just got back from a long weekend of playing games with friends. We got an AirBnB rental and spent 2 and a half days playing board games. Everyone brought games, so I don't remember everything off the top of my head, but I took Istanbul, Spirit Island and Kemet: Blood and Sand, and we got in 5 player games of all three. Spirit Island at 5 gets pretty wild towards the end game, with everything that can happen.

Related, but what do people use to store that game, with all the expansions? I got the Folder Space insert that holds the base game with Branch & Claw, but I didn't know if there was anything else good out there. Broken Token has a big storage crate, but I didn't know if they were still run buy a sex pest.

Etsy has a bunch of people with plywood and laser cutters. I go there if there’s not an insert from the big places

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
In my continuing quest to play all manor of Limited Replayability deduction style games, I just played Adventure Games: The Dungeon. It's one of the better of these I've played so far, though not as good as the better of the two Exits I've tried.

It has a "Possess a card that represents something, can use that to do something" which is likely common in a lot of these kinds of games. Instead of a mandatory app to do everything for you (as Chronicles of Crime: 1400 appears to be in my one play so far) it just has a booklet and a fairly clever way to dispense the information. For this game, it feels more like an encoding similar to the main clue-based engine that made SHDC: BSI so amazing. The difference is it happens much more often and is therefore both a greater part of the gameplay but also less directly impactful each individual time it happens. The game is much less narrative than BSI, but it has a certain classic adventure feel where you are using the Can Opener to open the Can of Cat Food (a non-spoiler example from the rulebook.) I find a booklet more appealing than huddling around a smart phone, even if the app does allow for more wild and different encodings and prevents accidental spoilers from over-reading. Regarding the accidental spoilers, it's sort of better and worse than a classic SHDC: there are way more entry points, and each is written quite small and uniformly, so it's easier to hide among the many pages. On the other hand, due to the way the information is encoded (which I won't spoil) it can be easy to overread in certain situations.

Overall it was a little silly, as old adventure games are, but quite enjoyable. It has the narrative structure and physical ability to be packed away between plays, which is appreciated but I kinda feel like if you've got 2.5 hours you could probably just hammer it out instead.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Don't go into any of the Adventure Games games expecting any kind of Exit the Game experience because beyond sharing the same publisher and both being card games, they are incredibly different experiences overall.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I've always found narrative in games interesting. I've also found that games that embed a narrative are not only tricky (they live or die by the quality of their writing), but they are also fundamentally limited by the fact that what they dictate is happening could be at odds with what the players are actually experiencing. I experienced a reminder of this in Gloomhaven today.

Player A needed to do some shopping/enchantment but found herself frustratingly just a few coins short from getting what she had planned. We then did the City Event, which was "you get approached to help out with some menial labour, do you do it yes/no"

We did it, and the reward was 5 coins each. Player A was ecstatic, because now she could execute :siren:her plan:siren: Spent an hour doing an odd job to make up a shortfall -- we felt like the stars aligned. Totally worth it!

The card however, narrates the resolution as "it's hard menial work; you do get 5 coins each but feel this was beneath you" which is not at all how the party (and especially Player A) experienced it. This mismatch in narrative felt amusing, but it struck me as a good example of why I think narrative that emerges as a result of mechanics is in general :airquote:better:airquote: than one that's, well, narrated. (It's less susceptible to this kind of problem, at least.)

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Got to learn and play The King is Dead this weekend. What a fascinating little game. In another universe it could have been a miniature Sierra Madre style game made up of just cards and tiddly winks or whatever cheap components Phil had lying around. For those who don't know, it's an agnostic area control game similar to Pax Pamir insofar as that you don't really care who's running the show as long as you have the most favour with them at the end of the game. Everyone has a hand of the same ten cards and it's up to you how many you want to play a round (10 total) but once you've used one, you've used it. There are several regions that are determined via cube majority (English, Scottish, Welsh) and with randomly assigned order of when they're scored with each set up.

Really really liked it. Like I said, felt like an abstract Pax Pamir that could be taken on the go. Unsure how well it scales. We played 4P which is probably the best?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Is anyone playing Oathsworn? My group really likes it, more than Middara, Gloomhaven, Too Many Bones, etc.

I'm not really caring for the lack of interesting progression mechanics, leveling up doesn't feel very interesting, but the combat is really interesting, especially the enemy variety. More than that, the non-combat phase has had a lot more variety and interesting choices than I expected to see in a board game like this.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 14, 2022

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

FulsomFrank posted:

Really really liked it. Like I said, felt like an abstract Pax Pamir that could be taken on the go. Unsure how well it scales. We played 4P which is probably the best?

Great game at any player count I think. There is a solo mode by Ricky Royal, too.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

Is anyone playing Oathsworn? My group really likes it, more than Middara, Gloomhaven, Too Many Bones, Redacted, etc.

Just a heads up, even namedropping the redacted game is grounds for probation if you want to edit it out before you get hit for it

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Just a heads up, even namedropping the redacted game is grounds for probation if you want to edit it out before you get hit for it

found it, the second post of this thread

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 14, 2022

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Chainclaw posted:

Oathsworn?

It's my lucky day for people reminding me about crowdfunding campaigns about to expire, thanks!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

sirtommygunn posted:

It's my lucky day for people reminding me about crowdfunding campaigns about to expire, thanks!

That reminds me, I went in for $1, which gives me access to the Pledge Manager. Does that mean that once the pledge manager opens, I'd be able to upgrade my pledge to any of the other levels? I've never back a project in that way before, so it's never come up.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Funzo posted:

That reminds me, I went in for $1, which gives me access to the Pledge Manager. Does that mean that once the pledge manager opens, I'd be able to upgrade my pledge to any of the other levels? I've never back a project in that way before, so it's never come up.

Yes, you’ll get an email to do your order after finding ends and then you add the poo poo you want and pay for it

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

sirtommygunn posted:

Augh I hadn't heard of this game before today and now I'm very close to backing it at the last minute. Frosthaven is about to show up, when am I going to have time to play another one of these giant campaign games? Where am I going to store them???

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Well I think you don't need to worry about it for like a year at least if the campaign is just wrapping up now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

found it, the second post of this thread

Yeah sorry. A friend got hit for the same thing not too long ago (just namedropping it) so I was hoping to keep you from a technicality sixer :P

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

misguided rage posted:

Augh I hadn't heard of this game before today and now I'm very close to backing it at the last minute. Frosthaven is about to show up, when am I going to have time to play another one of these giant campaign games? Where am I going to store them???

Same, all my backed up poo poo dropped at once, stuck in a Sisyphusian hell of orating story pages and thrusting minis

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah sorry. A friend got hit for the same thing not too long ago (just namedropping it) so I was hoping to keep you from a technicality sixer :P

Thanks, I just wanted to talk about Oathsworn, the other games were just similar games in the genre and not that important, mostly for context on the genre of Oathsworn. I wanted to see if anyone else was playing it and what other people's impressions were.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Chainclaw posted:

Thanks, I just wanted to talk about Oathsworn, the other games were just similar games in the genre and not that important, mostly for context on the genre of Oathsworn. I wanted to see if anyone else was playing it and what other people's impressions were.

I take it that the standee Oathsworn (base pledge) is 100% of the game content, and the other pledged are just for a ton more bling?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

armorer posted:

I take it that the standee Oathsworn (base pledge) is 100% of the game content, and the other pledged are just for a ton more bling?

Yeah. My buddy who has the game went with the base version last time, he learned his lesson from other Kickstarters. He doesn't get around to painting minis, and the standees look totally fine. It also means he doesn't have to store all that extra stuff.

The gotcha I see with getting the plastic minis, is it could spoil the enemies for you if you intend to paint them before playing with them. With how these boss fights have been so far (We just finished Chapter 4), I wouldn't want that spoiled, it's been really fun being surprised by each fight, the mechanics of the fight, etc.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I went in for $1, maybe I'll back it when the pledge manager opens. I don't need (or want to store) more minis at this point so the other pledges are not appealing at all to me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FulsomFrank posted:

Got to learn and play The King is Dead this weekend. What a fascinating little game. In another universe it could have been a miniature Sierra Madre style game made up of just cards and tiddly winks or whatever cheap components Phil had lying around. For those who don't know, it's an agnostic area control game similar to Pax Pamir insofar as that you don't really care who's running the show as long as you have the most favour with them at the end of the game. Everyone has a hand of the same ten cards and it's up to you how many you want to play a round (10 total) but once you've used one, you've used it. There are several regions that are determined via cube majority (English, Scottish, Welsh) and with randomly assigned order of when they're scored with each set up.

It's different at every player count and I could see each being someone's preferred option or their least favourite. At 2P it's both crushingly zero-sum and simple enough that you can play out a lot of the game in your head, leading to games being decided by a handful of high-impact decisions. 3P is the most normal, and the 4P team mode is quite a unique beast.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

armorer posted:

Correct. It's great bling, but having the cheaper option for people who value space or money is pretty nice. It's entirely complete with just the standees.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TG Secret Santa 2022 is up!

I hope lots of boardgame folks can participate again this year.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I have been playing Point Salad on BGA recently, and I've been enjoying both the game itself and the BGA implementation. I was going to talk about some creative choices that let it be quite quick, similar to some I've seen in the BGA versions of Barenpark and Alhambra...

and then this happened:

Board Game Area posted:

Dear Point Salad players: we got some bad news. There is an uncommon legal issue with this game that forces us to remove it from BGA.

The game is "private" for now: it means that the only one to see this game are the players who played it before.

BGA and Alderac will make everything possible to get the game back soon, but for now we do not know when.

Sorry for the inconvenience :(

I am now extremely curious as to what the heck happened. The game has multiple designers so maybe one of them didn't sign off on it?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Maybe the art isn't licensed for videogame use? I have absolutely no clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
The King is Dead apparently is one of Cole Wehrle's inspiration for Pax Pamir.

Played the Frostpunk boardgame on Saturday; it's legit. A smart adaptation of the video game into a coop boardgame that isn't just multi headed solitaire like This War of Mine. Eager to play it again soon.