Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Is lpix.org down for anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

Is lpix.org down for anyone else?

It's up for me at the moment.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Yeah, of course it was down when I wanted to upload some screenshots and then the moment I actually ask about it, it goes up again and I look like a moron. :v:

I was just terrified for a moment, because lpix.org going down would severely complicate screenshot LP's.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Adobe Premiere does not like my 10 hour videos I'm trying to grab clips from. If I try to move the cursor or hit play or pause, it takes like a minute to get going.
I tried all kinds of things to slice the videos into hour-long subvideos to try to make it work smoother, but nothing seems to respect the audio channels and I end up with just one audio channel.
Is this how Premiere always is or is there a way to get these videos split without losing my audio channels?
Also apparently it doesn't work with mkv? Or is there some plugin or something I can get? All I saw were people telling me how to convert the files to mp4.

Edit: Well, I just discovered "Remux recordings" in OBS that will convert the recordings to mp4 for me. Now if I can just figure out how to fix the audio channel issue.
After using OBS's remux feature, the resulting files have all the audio channels intact and Premiere now no longer lags when I use the files. Everything works perfectly. Not sure why the other converters made such bad conversions, but this works perfectly. Also it was like 100x faster to convert.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 14, 2022

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Is there anybody here that is willing and able to help me sort of customizations with a Twitch overlay? I wanted to set up some special interactions with viewers through things like bits and channel point redemptions, but I'm completely lost on figuring this out on my own. I haven't been able to find any resources online to guide me in the right direction, and I'm just getting really frustrated with the whole thing.

I currently have OBS with the Streamelements plugin. I don't know if what I want can be done with SE or if there are other tools that will do it.

I'm wanting to set up a little character on screen, and people can interact with it by changing different parts of the character, like different hats or shirts. These changes would persist until another interaction alters it.

I know this is possible because I see other streamers do these exact things, but I'm just too dumb to figure out how to do it myself. Please help me. :(

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So I'd like to experiment with gifs in an LP, but I've got a few questions:

I don't want to make excessive use of them because then reading the LP will just be a set of flashing images which I feel would be super uncomfortable to look at and very confusing. Regarding point two there, is there any way for me as the LPer to stop the gifs from autoplaying? I.E. so the reader can start at the beginning of each gif, rather than having to watch it a few times to work out where the beginning is supposed to be and then absorb the information.

I know you can do that as a user setting at least on the mobile apps for SA, but how could I replicate that from my end? I seem to have a very vague idea I've seen other LPs do something like that, but I could just be thinking of LPs with gifs I've read on a mobile device with autoplay turned off, of course.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You probably don't want to make it literally GIF files then. Instead make WEBM or MP4 files of what you want to show.
Unfortunately you can't tell the forum to default-enable them to looping, if you want them to loop.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Just keep in mind that this won't work if you want your LP archived, as it only takes JPG, PNG, GIF, WEBP, and MP3 files.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well, given that finishing is a requirement for the archive which is realistically unlikely, I'm not going to worry about that. Having to use 2 hosts since I'll keep using lpix for images is more annoying probably but oh well.

So basically I'm thinking I'll end up recording a 1024x768 MP4 with sharex that will last anywhere from 5 minutes to 30, and to prepare it for the LP I'll need to take 5-20 second chunks out of it, and also most of them will need to be cut in half to 612 768. The game features a lot of pixel art (well all of it) so any fiddling with resolution or scaling is going to make it look like poo poo, but I should think with such a low base resolution and short time periods I could get away with lossless encoding without having the files get too big right? I'm totally out of my depth here so if there's better formats or capturing software to use please tell me, and I have no idea what would be best to do the editing I require?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Is there anyway to get a hotkey assigned to copy forum code url in sharex? Currently I'm copying the urls for an entire folder of screenshots into a text document then copying out each url from there, but that's not an ideal solution.

Alternatively does anyone have a mirror of rigthload, since I can't seem to get it from the website anymore?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I haven't played any emulation in a while, but I was setting stuff up again, and none of my emulators will recognize my Dualshock 4 wirelessly.

Steam does, though. I can turn the controller on, open up Steam and it's all good. But for some reason, nothing else will recognize the controller unless it's wired to the PC. Anyone have any ideas what's up?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Jamesman posted:

Is there anybody here that is willing and able to help me sort of customizations with a Twitch overlay? I wanted to set up some special interactions with viewers through things like bits and channel point redemptions, but I'm completely lost on figuring this out on my own. I haven't been able to find any resources online to guide me in the right direction, and I'm just getting really frustrated with the whole thing.

I currently have OBS with the Streamelements plugin. I don't know if what I want can be done with SE or if there are other tools that will do it.

I'm wanting to set up a little character on screen, and people can interact with it by changing different parts of the character, like different hats or shirts. These changes would persist until another interaction alters it.

I know this is possible because I see other streamers do these exact things, but I'm just too dumb to figure out how to do it myself. Please help me. :(

If you know some programming, you can use the Twitch API, which lets you know when those things happen. Overlays in OBS are usually just browser sources, which can run Javascript.

There's probably preexisting tools for that kind of stuff, but I don't know them.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
there's vtube studio if you can create a compatible character model without any crazy rigging

https://twitter.com/vtubestudio/status/1466608817181921282
https://twitter.com/SoyaPoya/status/1417217231029784578

that way you'd basically have a character api. and the community is huge with official discords and lots of fun third-party plugins

in theory you can make something yourself, but 99% of projects like these end up melting when you reach a fairly small number of people mashing the triggers. even the second example above has some queuing issues

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'll look into those things, but for now, I've been checking out StreamerBot, which acts as a virtual stream deck, and that might give me what I'm looking for without too much trouble. Just need to work on setting up the commands and connections for it, eventually.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jamesman posted:

I haven't played any emulation in a while, but I was setting stuff up again, and none of my emulators will recognize my Dualshock 4 wirelessly.

Steam does, though. I can turn the controller on, open up Steam and it's all good. But for some reason, nothing else will recognize the controller unless it's wired to the PC. Anyone have any ideas what's up?

You can try something like Joy2Key to try mapping the inputs to keyboard inputs and doing it that way.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Does anyone have a good program that could be used to record RPG Maker (VX Ace) games? I'm planning on doing a screenshot LP and ShareX has been doing nicely for screenshots, but I can't get the timing right on GIFs and also plan on uploading videos of certain moments; and both OBS and Bandicam aren't playing nice in ways that, when looking things up online, seem to be RPG Maker engine related.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Does anyone have a good program that could be used to record RPG Maker (VX Ace) games? I'm planning on doing a screenshot LP and ShareX has been doing nicely for screenshots, but I can't get the timing right on GIFs and also plan on uploading videos of certain moments

Give OBS a try. It's a free program and can be a little finicky at times but it's worked fine with 95% of the games that I've used it for these past couple of years.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
whoops, guess I wasn't quick enough when I edited my post to point out that OBS was something I tried and didn't work

edit: turns out RPG Maker games don't play nicely with game capture but do work with window capture, sorry for wasting people's time

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 13, 2023

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
A lot of games, especially older ones, have trouble with Game Capture. Window capture is a safe bet, as you've found out, and if it REALLY wants to keep fighting, going full screen and using monitor capture is a great "I Am No Longer Asking." measure.

Don't worry about wasting peoples' time, I can all but guarantee most of us have bumped into dumber problems than you can come up with :v:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
A lot of the games that I LP are old and hardly ever turn up in the game capture option.

Window capture is an old friend but even that doesn't always work. I haven't used ShareX, but in OBS and XSplit I've often had to rely on "Smart Selection" and then manually select the game window for the capture software to register that it even exists.

Edit: The software recognises that there is a window open but quite often the software doesn't register what's happening in it apart from the sound, which is only because it's going through the system audio.

Danaru posted:

Don't worry about wasting peoples' time, I can all but guarantee most of us have bumped into dumber problems than you can come up with :v:

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 13, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I feel like the biggest shitshow is almost always when a game has a launcher that then launches the main executable, for some reason those games are often the ones OBS has a hard time latching on to properly.

I would've just done a nice, chill DOS2 LP if OBS had been willing to record it but nooooo, now I'm doing Gothic 3 instead.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm preparing to start another LP and I'm trying to use LPix for the first time. I'm getting my head around IrfanView as I've never used it before and it's been extremely helpful so far. I'm almost ready to start putting things together but I need a little bit of advice before I do. It's more about whether I should use PNG images or JPG. There is a noticeable difference, I usually use the PNG format but I'm just wondering if it would be better to use JPGs for the reduced size.

PNG, 327kb:

JPG, 57kb:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I would stay with the PNG's, the JPG looks a bit crusty around the edges and the colours a bit washed out.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Your PNG file is probably much larger than it needs to be. It seems you (or the game/emulator you've captured it from) has upscaled it with a smoothing scaler instead of nearest-neighbor ("pixel") scaling, so there's a lot of blurring in it, which isn't great for the PNG compression.
If you can capture the game graphics in its original resolution, or switch to a nearest-neighbor scaler, you should see much smaller file sizes.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

nielsm posted:

Your PNG file is probably much larger than it needs to be. It seems you (or the game/emulator you've captured it from) has upscaled it with a smoothing scaler instead of nearest-neighbor ("pixel") scaling, so there's a lot of blurring in it, which isn't great for the PNG compression.
If you can capture the game graphics in its original resolution, or switch to a nearest-neighbor scaler, you should see much smaller file sizes.

I gave it a try but image size isn't much different (328kb), although it does look more sharper:

Edit: I'm not overly concerned as I'm planning to take screenshots from a video recording and it makes life easier for me with the previous settings.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 17, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I gave it a try but image size isn't much different (328kb), although it does look more sharper:

Edit: I'm not overly concerned as I'm planning to take screenshots from a video recording and it makes life easier for me with the previous settings.

It would seem like the image is still getting compression artifacted. If you're recording at native resolution and are only scaling the output in whole numbers 1x,2x,3x, etc. I'd think this'd be a result of the video recording compressing the result still. The end result should be a .png around or less than 100kb in size if the screenshot is actually pixel perfect.

edit: I'm not really an expert on achieving a clean recording though. I've got an overkill FFMPEG script I use and rarely I can get OBS to do it, so someone else will have to help there.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 17, 2023

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Odd Wilson posted:

It would seem like the image is still getting compression artifacted. If you're recording at native resolution and are only scaling the output in whole numbers 1x,2x,3x, etc. I'd think this'd be a result of the video recording compressing the result still. The end result should be a .png around or less than 100kb in size if the screenshot is actually pixel perfect.

edit: I'm not really an expert on achieving a clean recording though. I've got an overkill FFMPEG script I use and rarely I can get OBS to do it, so someone else will have to help there.

The native resolution is 320x240 and I'm using ScummVM. The first image was using the default settings and the second was using "Pixel-perfect scaling". From what I can see in the settings it only works in whole numbers and it's either the native resolution or some kind of scaling.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I'm preparing to start another LP and I'm trying to use LPix for the first time. I'm getting my head around IrfanView as I've never used it before and it's been extremely helpful so far. I'm almost ready to start putting things together but I need a little bit of advice before I do. It's more about whether I should use PNG images or JPG. There is a noticeable difference, I usually use the PNG format but I'm just wondering if it would be better to use JPGs for the reduced size.

PNG, 327kb:

JPG, 57kb:

The main thing about IrfanView is that the best compression tools stopped being offered as a plug in option after version 4.57, so if you are using anything after that, then go PNG. If you are using anything before then JPG should be fine if you are using the Save For Web function.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
If you're taking screenshots from a video make sure your video is actually lossless and not chroma subsampled.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

EricFate posted:

The main thing about IrfanView is that the best compression tools stopped being offered as a plug in option after version 4.57

Any particular reason behind that or did the developer just stop updating them?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Thank you for all of the advice. I may attempt to go ahead with this or a different SSLP at a later time.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I use Vegas Movie Studio Platinum (14, currently), and I find that rendering 1440p/60fps videos is quite taxing, usually taking 4 or 5 times as long as the video's length.

My settings are to use the MainConcept AVC/AAC format, with a 25,000,000bps bit rate, and GPU acceleration. If anyone else uses Vegas for 1440 rendering, do you have any suggestions for speeding things up a little bit?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
One LP I've sometimes thought about trying to do is Golf Story for the Switch, and I'd like to do a lot of it with gif animations. Despite my best efforts (aggressive frame trimming and cropping; image resizing without sacrificing clarity; colour reduction; reducing frames), I'm having a hard time getting my gifs below 2MB without them looking like trash. My workflow is to record at 1080p; resize down to 768x432 (about as low as I can without seriously compromising the image) and reduce the FPS to 30; aggressively trim the video so that it's only from when I take the shot to when the ball stops; use GIF Movie Gear to reduce colours, thin the framecount by half, then optimize; and the end result is still roughly 5MBs.

Are there any modern techniques or tools to help get the size lower? Are there any hosting solutions? Maybe hosting them myself, if I'm really committed?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Due to how the ancient gif format works, you're not gonna get a gif of that resolution (and fidelity) down to a reasonable size. That's why all the image hosting sites convert them to mp4 and stuff, which uses modern encoding techniques to get down to far smaller sizes.

You could go down that route, you wouldn't even need to sacrifice framerate or color space to get higher quality and smaller filesize. But I think the LP Archive still doesn't play nice with mp4 embeds.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Yeah, I know that mp4 is the next step, but the archives not playing nicely with it was one of my hangups. And iirc doesn't SA have a problem with pages containing multiple embeds, too? I wanted to do something like that with my Pyre LP back in the day but I was told not to.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
IIRC the MP4 integration is uh, sloppy, and it's fairly low on Astral's list of horrible things that need to be fixed/burned/exorcised. I'm pretty sure too many embeds can cause tabs to crash, you see something similar in threads with a poo poo ton of twitter embeds.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's a bit of a last resort, but you can always just put your updates on the test poster and then link to them in the thread, instead of embedding them directly into the thread.

...that probably won't solve any mp4 embedding issues that lparchive has though.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

So, short answer: what I'd like to do isn't really an option right now.

Bummer, but oh well. Maybe I'll try something else.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Are animated .webp's an option? Most browsers can display them and IIRC they're supposed to be both better image quality and compression than a gif, and shouldn't trigger the forums' bugs with embeds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
gifs have some very unintuitive limitations for framerates, too: you can basically only use 10, 20, 25 and 50p

it's just a mess