Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

dog nougat posted:

Lol goddamn. Ragnarok isn't letting me change the difficulty. Stuck in mid-late game alfheim trying to fight this stupid librarian and just getting fuckin stomped.
:ohdear:

Good thing I set it to Give Me Grace at the beginning. Some fights are bullshit even on that difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
No Mercy’s been fun so far but I’m definitely not having a breezy time of it. It really forces you to mix things up and learn your moves.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It's a apparently a random bug that doesn't affect everyone. There are supposed work arounds, but I can't get them to work.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Even on baby mode some of the optional fights are no joke

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I got all my armour to 8-9 and was feeling saucy so I took a swing at the optional Valkyrie queen boss and I got about 3 chunks of the many-chunked giant purple health bar down before it ruined me.

I should probably get my weapons up from level 6 before giving it another spin.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Do the camera movements in some of the cutscenes in Ragnarok remind anyone else a lot of MGSV's?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

I will never play Witcher 3 not on a switch no matter how free it is

I thought you had a steam deck?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I thought you had a steam deck?

I dunno if my free GOG copy of Witcher 3 from way back in the mists of time has the DLC but if it does this is a very good point

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Do the camera movements in some of the cutscenes in Ragnarok remind anyone else a lot of MGSV's?

Yeah definitely. That plus the incredible character animation and detail gives the cutscenes MGSV or Death Stranding vibes. Especially Freya, she is so drat realistic

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Barlog's particular style predates MGSV -- he was the cinematic director for TR2013 which has a similar shakycam presentation.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

History Comes Inside! posted:

It would have been :krad: if you could just step through the door into another realm like the loading in ratchet and clank

It is funny how it’s BAM INSTANT LOAD…to a loading planet. It wouldn’t be a big deal if the game didn’t expect you to backtrack.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Escobarbarian posted:

Even on baby mode some of the optional fights are no joke

Yeah I played on Give Me Grace and I still had trouble with some bosses. Granted I'm not good at these kinds of games (give me a hard as hell platformer instead). But I just can't figure out parrying in GoW so harder difficulties are just never gonna work for me. But even with the easiest difficulty outside of the story one, some bosses like the Drauger boss or a werewolf that busted out of a portal, just absolutely gently caress my poo poo up. I tried two of the gravestone bosses and they were still quite hard for me.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Nuts and Gum posted:

The only VO that bothers me in GoWR is TAG THIS Faye. The way she over pronunciates everything slowly drives me crazy. Idk how to describe it, she just hits every syllable like she’s a school teacher.

Even better when she’s doing it with a beak causes she’s a gd bird lol

thanks for the big rear end spoiler not being tagged here.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Relentlessboredomm posted:

thanks for the big rear end spoiler not being tagged here.

I didn’t realize that was a spoiler my bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s spelled Freya. Not a spoiler.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s spelled Freya. Not a spoiler.

Ah yea, I misremembered the name.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Ah yea, I misremembered the name.

the complaint makes a little more sense in light of that but even in the first game freya came off as "veneer of chirpy schoolteacher concealing VOLCANIC RAGE" and i think they played it off great in this one

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I picked the parrying shield early on in Ragnarok and it seems pretty necessary for a lot of the tougher bosses and it's one of the few ways to get openings to counter attack. Glad I got all that Elden Ring experience, some of the timings are a little funky as I don't think that yellow ring is really a timing indicator, just an indicator that the attack can be parried.

There is a Freya and Freyr in the game, gets a tiny bit confusing.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I didn't expect to like her character in GoW2 as much as I have. Same for most of them really.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone else got Stars for preordering GOW Ragnarok when they did not do that?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No but I know some people who did preorder it and haven’t got their stars yet

Looks like the system is going well

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

dog nougat posted:

It's a apparently a random bug that doesn't affect everyone. There are supposed work arounds, but I can't get them to work.

Patch 2.02 on PS4 and PS5 just dropped a few minutes ago. Give them a go and see if that fixes your issue.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Iron Crowned posted:

I got the Yennefer ending

Escobarbarian posted:

you romanced the wrong lady

Nuh uh, settling down for pastoral life with Yennefer, best way to go

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I finished GoWR, and only have some minor optional activity cleanup left. Easter egg hunt stuff.

The combat design is great and the bosses this time around are especially a big step up from the previous game. The story is a big step down for me though. I feel like the final stretch of the game really aught to have been a separate sequel. Too much happens too fast and it requires some rapid character flips that would have worked better if given space, but don't really get to be explored here. There's an entire game worth of potential that largely happens offscreen so you can speed run to the finale. How much I enjoy replays is going to depend on how easily and quickly you can skip cutscenes and scripted segments. In the first game, I had no problem rewatching everything every time I played, but I can't see myself wanting to sit through a lot of this a second time in order to get to the meat of the gameplay.

Still a great game. Just some major flaws. Elden Ring still GotY.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Nuh uh, settling down for pastoral life with Yennefer, best way to go

Sorry I meant that that is the best ending yes. I’m no fool. well

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m home and can finally play Ragnarok again. Update took 20 seconds to download and 15 minutes to copy

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m home and can finally play Ragnarok again. Update took 20 seconds to download and 15 minutes to copy

How does this work by the way? Is the update just a tiny set of instructions to pull large blocks of data out, rearrange them and completely recompile or what?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

So excited to play Dadnarok and Tactics Orgy uninhibited for the next 4 days. :peanut:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

How does this work by the way? Is the update just a tiny set of instructions to pull large blocks of data out, rearrange them and completely recompile or what?

Something like that. The “copying” process is basically defragmenting- it’s moving the game files around on disk so it’s one big contiguous block of data with the patch data integrated, which speed up loading. It goes fast if your game consists of a few large files, it goes slow if your game is a lot of small files, it goes ridiculously slow if your game is thousands of minuscule files (this is how Destiny 2 is set up and a big reason they deleted a big chunk of content two years ago)

It’s not clear if the PS5 does it smarter or just uses the SSD’s performance to go faster though brute force

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

haveblue posted:

Something like that. The “copying” process is basically defragmenting- it’s moving the game files around on disk so it’s one big contiguous block of data with the patch data integrated, which speed up loading. It goes fast if your game consists of a few large files, it goes slow if your game is a lot of small files, it goes ridiculously slow if your game is thousands of minuscule files (this is how Destiny 2 is set up and a big reason they deleted a big chunk of content two years ago)

It’s not clear if the PS5 does it smarter or just uses the SSD’s performance to go faster though brute force

Doesn't having the smaller files mean that they can just replace a few files instead of a single huge one?

That is, if the devs know to do that and not just replace the entire install like some games have done.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

haveblue posted:

You don't defrag on solid state media, the entire point is there's no differing seek times based on physical location so there's no need for it (and it eats write cycles over lifetime). There is TRIM, but that just happens in the background.

Sony's delta method is also just bad, much like Steam's is

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

kirbysuperstar posted:

You don't defrag on solid state media, the entire point is there's no differing seek times based on physical location so there's no need for it (and it eats write cycles over lifetime). There is TRIM, but that just happens in the background.

Sony's delta method is also just bad, much like Steam's is

If they do it like it’s done on the PS4, IIRC a game “install” is the system making a new partition on the disk for each title. If you need more space after a patch than is already partitioned, you need both enough free space to make the new partition and more time to set that up.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

univbee posted:

Patch 2.02 on PS4 and PS5 just dropped a few minutes ago. Give them a go and see if that fixes your issue.

Yeah still not working unfortunately. Just gonna have to get good

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

dog nougat posted:

Just gonna have to get good

I've been saying this about you and tlousdays but it never seems to stick :grin:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I dont like when im not kratos

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

I dont like when im not kratos

Same, also when playing ragnarok

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Patches can involve having to rebuild/recompile an entire file at times, although the PS5 is supposed to be able to take some shortcuts to this process. For example, with an SSD there's no such thing as data fragmentation; reading X number of blocks is always the same speed no matter where those blocks actually are, it's not slowed down by the blocks not being "adjacent" to each-other. This is also why you can avoid needing duplicates of certain data, which is why PS5 games tend to be smaller than the PS4 equivalents.

The 2.02 patch notes are pretty minimal. They fix a few rare crash issues (including one involving using the Platinum headset on a PS4), and also fix an issue where Polish audio was missing from disc copies that should have had it (copies from "Europe East" that also offer Russian and Arabic audio options). I suspect a fix for issues like the difficulty locking bug and other actual in-game fixes are coming later.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dewgy posted:

If they do it like it’s done on the PS4, IIRC a game “install” is the system making a new partition on the disk for each title. If you need more space after a patch than is already partitioned, you need both enough free space to make the new partition and more time to set that up.

Yeah funnily enough the only Playstation to not handle HDDs this way is the PS3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Not a fan of the gow2 anymore. 1 was better