Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Milo and POTUS posted:

Someone did this to a house while drunk in one of my former towns. Killed a kid too.

You're not even safe in your own home from cars lol

I'm remembering an exciting day when I was a little kid and a neighbor boy's parents got a sweet shipment of boulders delivered to their front yard because their house was on a curve and every few months an errant car would leave the roadway at high speed and find a nice spot on their lawn to rest for a bit. we played King of the Rocks next to that road for the rest of teh summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a good insight of traffic engineering is that people are really bad at driving. unfortunately they took that conclusion and decided that roads needed to be designed to be as forgiving as possible, when the correct conclusion is that cities, including roads, should be designed to discourage driving

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article268523712.html

quote:

Miami Gardens police say David Mitchell is a hit-and-run driver who killed Eddie Pascale Aurelien when he smashed into her car at 109 mph on a residential street. Online records say Mitchell owes $2,190.80 in traffic convictions and late fees — $2,061.80 of that from tickets since the fatal February crash.

Mitchell’s driver’s license can’t be suspended. He doesn’t have one. Two of the 20-year-old’s traffic convictions were for illegally driving with only a learner’s permit, indicating the “no driving” order might be as practically ineffective as it is legally obvious. Also, according to the probable cause affidavit, Mitchell having only a learner’s permit didn’t prevent another Miami Gardens resident from renting him the 2021 Mercedes AMG GLE53 Mitchell allegedly drove in the crash.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's cool that they just shrug and say "nothing we can do" in cases like that, instead of doing the obvious correct thing (put him in jail).

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Milo and POTUS posted:

I heard growing up that those brick mailboxes were being taken out because of lawsuits from people who crashed into them but at this point I think they're a great idea. Honestly though you could always plant more trees. Toss a couple boulders in there til they get sufficiently big to slow a 10000 pound electric truck

your house is a mandatory crumplezone for drivers and that will be enforced with fines and forclosure if you do anything that can endanger cars

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
i refer you to the ? under my username for the appropriate fresh garage construction technique required to accommodate drunken drivers

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also who's the guy who let the 20 year old stunter with no driver's license borrow their new luxury SUV? Like that level of idiocy must mean it's one of his parents right?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
feels like even if it was a "woopsie" you should probably never be able to operate a car again if you kill someone with one

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

feels like even if it was a "woopsie" you should probably never be able to operate a car again if you kill someone with one

i mean he doesn't have a license, what else can they do?

Apr 7, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

That's the part I really don't get. if you're working in a warehouse and accidentally run someone over with a forklift, they're probably never gonna let you drive a forklift again even if you don't go to jail.

Kill people with your car? No big deal, we can't take your license away because it was an 'accident'

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

i mean he doesn't have a license, what else can they do?

maybe make him wear a big pool tube all the time so he physically cannot enter a car

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Kill people with your car? No big deal, we can't take your license away because it was an 'accident'

You have to admit that "we can't take your license away because you don't have one" is a pretty neat life hack though.

Apr 7, 2003

if he were poor he'd be in jail already.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Would most places even let you install bollards in your yard?

I used to drive by this place a lot. This is a T-shaped intersection on a country road.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I used to drive by this place a lot. This is a T-shaped intersection on a country road.

one of my neighbors got so sick of people parking on his yard visiting the airbnb on the other side of the street from him that he just started planting big, fuckoff trees there.

he tried saplings, but those just got run over.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

planting trees is cool

Apr 7, 2003

A guy here got sick and tired of people driving through the leaves he cleaned up and left on the curbside for the city to pick up, so he stuck a few cinder blocks in the pile. hosed up at least one car.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Getcha some big rear end landscaping boulders.

Or a sentry gun that shoots plasma.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

a_pineapple posted:

Getcha some big rear end landscaping boulders.

Or a sentry gun that shoots plasma.

big spring

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
portal gun :newlol:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
GRAVITY GUN

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm still low key considering plausible excuses for caltrops or similar in my front yard that people will use to turn their car around.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BonHair posted:

I'm still low key considering plausible excuses for caltrops or similar in my front yard that people will use to turn their car around.
don’t be weird. just do the normal thing everyone else does and put up cinder blocks all around their perimeter

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

BonHair posted:

you can only fight cars with cars. put a bunch of junk cars in your front yard.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

BonHair posted:

check out my new lawn art

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

jetz0r posted:

check out my new lawn art

Just off camera is the Sherman you fire up and drive around the compound on Veterans' day and Independence day. The grandpas used to love it but most of them have passed.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Xaris posted:

don’t be weird. just do the normal thing everyone else does and put up cinder blocks all around their perimeter

I honestly wish the previous owner wasn't completely carpilled and had kept the hedge and lawn front yard instead of the driveway we have now. I'll probably just end up with some shrubs and raised flowerbeds though.

Apr 7, 2003

A house near me has these heavy-rear end little pyramids on the curb to keep people from parking on the sidewalk, can't find where you'd buy them though.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

drat scooter just killing electric car

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is the electric scooter data actually for the type of scooter shown (i.e. moped)? I assume it is because it would probably be better otherwise, but I'd be curious to see the other type of scooter too

Edit: it looks like electric kick scooters and EUCs are both in the walking/ebikes range

mystes has issued a correction as of 01:05 on Nov 15, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I want folding scooters to come back. Maybe they have, I don't get out much

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
they're back, they're big and they're RGB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLydN1MbPBs

e: wouldn't do the advertised 60mph on one, though :stare:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://twitter.com/_pjrt/status/1591999567641427970?s=20&t=573VTuevqu4TIlJvRhqQLQ

BOLLARDS MOTHER FUCKER.

Also jesus christ that car definitely passed by a cop who did nothing. You'd think that would help that piggy meet their ticket quota.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Scooters are huge right now. All kinds. Always cheers me up when they zoom by, even if they almost run me over.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Scooters are huge right now. All kinds. Always cheers me up when they zoom by, even if they almost run me over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZet_B0gs_A

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I have mixed feelings about e-bikes and scooters. Some of them look really fun and I'd like to try ripping around a parking lot with one of the 'sportbike' ones, or one of the little pit bikes. As a motorcyclist I think they have a lot of potential for fun.

But goddamn, without fail they are just driven in the worst way by the worst people around here. At the risk of sounding classist... you know when you can look at someone and go "that person has a DUI?" These are the kinds of characters roving around on e-bikes in this city. Hanging their feet by the sides because the scooter's footrest area is full of groceries or garbage. Parking and riding down the sidewalk. Running red lights, and unpredictably changing from bike lane to road to sidewalk all the time. The least-lovely of them are actual delivery drivers, and they're still almost always staring at their cellphones as they dart around looking for their delivery location.

That poo poo weighs like 250lbs. That's a motorcycle. Get it the gently caress off the sidewalk.

There is one local e-bike guy I like: he's always in the road lanes, wearing a helmet, and singing along and pumping his fist to like, System of a Down or something.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Scooters are neat and all but man they just get left loving everywhere like trash.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The issues I see in micromobility users seem like they can be fixed with education and regulation. Much more solvable than the systemic issues with cars.

There are pretty different cultures too, like what I hear about NYC is nothing like what I see here. People are generally responsible and just trying to get to where they're going.

E: rental scooters were banned here after a brief and contentious debut. Those seem like a lovely system without some sort of hub that you have to return them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It'd make a lot more sense and be better for everybody if the road was half the size and for scooters and ebikes instead of cars. You're right to say these things shouldn't be in pedestrian spaces, but the reality is most people dont want to die for the crime of using one. Also lots of people drive them like stupid assholes but at least one isnt going to wipe out an entire grade school class at a crosswalk