Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'm glad I'm not too late to Vampire Survivors discussion. I feel like I'm not the best at it but I'm having fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I didn't get in on any of the PC hype because I'm a disciple of Tim Apple so it's been fun to just kind of experience the whole thing all at once. It feels like it's had a ton of content updates since it started going viral months ago. Lots of unlocks and "secret" stuff to uncover.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Douche4Sale posted:

There are some games with touch screen controls, but yeah most need a controller.

Yeah, but Vampire survivors literally needs left stick + one button to function.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Something about my brain isn't clicking with the attacks in VS. Do I treat it like a rhythm game?

I feel like I try to back pedal and turn and to time the attack but it ends up swinging in the wrong direction.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 14, 2022

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
You can upgrade the whip so it goes both ways :eng101:

(I wondered literally the same thing)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Play like 2 or 3 games with the whip guy to earn as much money as you can, then immediately buy a duplicator upgrade and the knife guy, then let the fun begin.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The character with the whip is awkward like that in the beginning. I'd lean more to using the character with the Runetracer as their starting weapon (Pasqualina Belpaese). Or max out the Garlic during a round, so you can purchase the character with that as their starting weapon.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Knife guy was a game-changer for me. In a snap I went from struggling to survive 15 minutes to absolutely melting my way through levels.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
XCloud rules when I feel like playing some flight sim but don't feel like redownloading it.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

The Kins posted:

How are you accessing XCloud? In the browser, the Xbox app, or what? The Xbox PC app got some updates the other day to improve performance so it might be that.

Game Pass Android app sideloaded onto an Nvidia Shield connected with wired ethernet.

It’s very possible it could be an app update, as when I first tried this setup in the spring it was fine but not great. Now it’s actually a viable alternative to playing in my living room.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Pentiment is out tomorrow already? I'm still playing Monkey Island, slow down Phil.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hadn’t even heard of Pentiment until just now. Sounds fuckin awesome. Too many games!

Vampire Survivors is fantastic but I wouldn’t wanna play it on anything other than a handheld really it is a perfect game for the Deck

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Tayter Swift posted:

I feel that it could use some dead zone on the joystick. I keep stopping and finding my knives going the opposite direction.

This is an Xbox-wide problem for me. I have to use the analog stick instead of the D-pad in 2D games because of weird nerve damage in my left hand and I get that “facing the wrong way” dead zone thing a lot. Haven’t tried Vampire Survivors yet, but it made the Contra collection unplayable, Castlevania collection was pretty bad too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The chick with the wand went from being dogshit to one of my go to's after I realized how good the wand can be with the right equipment. Christina is still my favorite though. She has the best cooldown reduction in the game besides lightning ring guy at level 1.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

Pentiment is out tomorrow already? I'm still playing Monkey Island, slow down Phil.

It's reviewing really well, too, for what that's worth. Mid to high 80s.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

First time I got Garlic was an absolute eye-opener. I could just run into enemies and they'd die before touching me!

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Sywert of Thieves posted:

First time I got Garlic was an absolute eye-opener. I could just run into enemies and they'd die before touching me!

I basically walked through the tower level with Krachi and max garlic/bible for the last 20 minutes, felt real good.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Grabbing like 2 levels of garlic and wading through the mass of skeletons around the 11 minute mark in the Mad Forest is one of life's greatest joys.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Garlic kills projectiles from the enemies that have them too so it's extra good.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Garlic is outclassed by the Bible with a couple duplicators but it's a good noob weapon for not feeling like you suck at the game.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Garlic + Bible is a great combo

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
garlic is simply a defensive weapon. the evolution pwns and is the best healing item but the equipment required to upgrade it is a bit of a wasted slot

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah I kind of feel like Garlic is great for the first 30-50% of a run, but maybe doesn't scale as well in the lategame? I dunno, runs where I rely on it I usually don't end up finishing.

Also don't sleep on the freeze lance thingy, if you boost it with cooldown reduction and +effect duration it'll be constantly going off by the lategame and it means you've always got a safe zone to run into.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah Garlic doesn't scale well at all. Better off going with trying to get your damage up for the first 10 mins so you don't need it. Best 4 weps at the start are Knife (for bosses), Bottle, Axe and The Diamond thingy since their evolve accessories are super easy to find and all work well with the Duplicator ring.

Then the rest is really up to personal preference, but Laurel is great at the start until you unlock all the powerups and arcana

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 15, 2022

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Just tried Vampire Survivors…

I’m going to die because I forget to eat while playing this game, aren’t I?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Bible/Water/Lightning + whatever other projectiles you like combined with cooldown/area/dupe is like 100% win rate.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
A bug is keeping me from unlocking Dairy Factory. Anyone know how to fix this?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guns + wand + Laurel + clock lancet + whatever every time, imo. Usually king Bible because the evolution pwns, but I always take duplicator so usually lightning ring so I don't waste the equipment slot on not evolving something. Pentagram pwns as well. The evolution makes attractorb redundant though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Goddamn, the 40th anniversary update for MS Flight Simulator brings the game's size up to 269.9 gigs with all the world updates. Finally a game to compete with Call of Duty install sizes, although CoD's map sizes fall quite short of "the entire world".

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Kevyn posted:

That's what floor chicken is for.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I finally got around to beating Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Restarted my save from like 2 years ago when I still had my One S, lmao. Glad I waited to finish it on my Series S. Fun game, and first impression after the final mission is I think it’s about as good as Rise of the Tomb Raider was. The stealth combat mechanics with the eventual mud cover was super fun. The Tomb Raider reboot games as a trilogy are pretty strong imo. A+++ gaming experience, very much recommended.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kevyn posted:

Yes.

I thought I was done with it last night because I couldn't unlock the next level.

Then I spent most of my day working from home playing and unlocking more poo poo and I have seen the glory of not touching the stick as waves of enemies die and my Xbox slows to a crawl.

It's real good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

teagone posted:

I finally got around to beating Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Restarted my save from like 2 years ago when I still had my One S, lmao. Glad I waited to finish it on my Series S. Fun game, and first impression after the final mission is I think it’s about as good as Rise of the Tomb Raider was. The stealth combat mechanics with the eventual mud cover was super fun. The Tomb Raider reboot games as a trilogy are pretty strong imo. A+++ gaming experience, very much recommended.

I mostly liked Shadow of the Tomb Raider, except the ending.

It's VERY rushed, and feels like they just wanted the game done and over with. The over-arching not-Illuminati villains of yhe trilogy die offscreen completrly, the target of your revenge from Rise gets got without you even necessarily realizing he's manning that turret (and finished off by someone else no less). and when it's all finally over it just had a vibe of "There; She's The Tomb Raider. You're done, we're done, we out, later!"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I mostly liked Shadow of the Tomb Raider, except the ending.

It's VERY rushed, and feels like they just wanted the game done and over with. The over-arching not-Illuminati villains of yhe trilogy die offscreen completrly, the target of your revenge from Rise gets got without you even necessarily realizing he's manning that turret (and finished off by someone else no less). and when it's all finally over it just had a vibe of "There; She's The Tomb Raider. You're done, we're done, we out, later!"

Lol, yeah I know what you mean. Definitely felt that way with how quick and short the last mission was. Of the three games, the climax was probably the weakest in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Still found it fun though. But everything leading up to it was great; I completed all the challenge tombs and am sitting at just a little over 90% game completion. I'll probably backtrack the other map locations to cap that 100% this weekend. One thing in particular that I love about these TR reboots is there's a moment in each game where Lara just goes nuts and you go on a very fun bloodlust-fueled rampage, lmao. [edit] The section in paticular during Shadow when Lara thinks Jonah is dead and you get the light machine gun... I loving loved that part, lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 15, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

teagone posted:

[edit] The section in paticular during Shadow when Lara thinks Jonah is dead and you get the light machine gun... I loving loved that part, lol.

Yeah, that was great. Here's a machine gun, here's a refinery full of explosive fuel and assholes nobody will miss. Have fun...

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
How the hell do you survive a round with the cat lady? I keep getting scratched to death by my own creatures. Guess I gotta try stacking recovery and see if that’s enough to counteract it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Also they destroy the pickups if they run over them? Wtf cats…

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The gruesome deaths in the new tomb raiders are pretty :stare:

The worst one for me was getting caught in a river and being impaled under the jaw by pointy branches while you grab at it writhing in agony

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

univbee posted:

Goddamn, the 40th anniversary update for MS Flight Simulator brings the game's size up to 269.9 gigs with all the world updates. Finally a game to compete with Call of Duty install sizes, although CoD's map sizes fall quite short of "the entire world".

Yeah that's 100% a cloud-only game for me. The worst part is that you can't quick resume, and loading it up from scratch takes fucken aaaaaaaaages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

priznat posted:

The gruesome deaths in the new tomb raiders are pretty :stare:

The worst one for me was getting caught in a river and being impaled under the jaw by pointy branches while you grab at it writhing in agony

Yeah, they're pretty gnarly throughout the trilogy. Incentivizes you to try your best and not die I guess :ohdear: