Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

spacetoaster posted:

This your first war?

basically yes

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Their priorities are clinging to power. And killing scale goats is the fascism 101 method for enforcing loyalty.

I'm trying to imagine how western media will report on stuff like this a decade from now. I doubt people will really even care about it in 10 years if the conflict ends "peacefully." Still, some of the whitewashings we typically do for things like U.S. military intervention were possible because we really strictly controlled who got to report on our invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan. Now, it seems like there are so many opportunities to cover what's going on in Ukraine that shouting down competing narratives will be infinitely more difficult

gradenko_2000 posted:

The position I've seen adopted even by "moderates" in the Ukrainian government is that "eliminating" these people simply prevents them from voting the wrong way in the future

ack, drat.

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you want to know what it's like when a society is drained of teachers via mass death, look no further than the United States of America

very true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
C-SPAM claims to be leftist yet balks as soon as someone does a little applied Pol Pot thought, curious :thunk:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

NeatHeteroDude posted:

due process for military court at like, the very least. is there no one in the Ukrainian government who sees a big problem with murdering lots of people consequence-free? won't this have big long-term ramifications on the relationship between Ukraine and its citizens? i understand that the answer is "no, they don't care." but I don't get how they're prioritizing their goals

The elected Ukrainian government couldn't control the nazi militias when there was a ceasefire and half-assed peace plan. They're not going to control them now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they do control them

they are following the policy of the government

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

euphronius posted:

they do control them

they are following the policy of the government

Or the other way round

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1592142051348545538

speng31b
May 8, 2010

NeatHeteroDude posted:

due process for military court at like, the very least. is there no one in the Ukrainian government who sees a big problem with murdering lots of people consequence-free? won't this have big long-term ramifications on the relationship between Ukraine and its citizens? i understand that the answer is "no, they don't care." but I don't get how they're prioritizing their goals

the stuff I'm posting is mostly internal propaganda, which means it's written like any other type of propaganda to play to an audience. are they really going to murder thousands of teachers outright? logistically that seems hard to get away with, even with as sycophantic as the western media has shown it's willing to be. will a lot of people get killed or imprisoned for decades in purges? yeah, that's seeming very likely, and is already happening.

what it really shows is that rhetoric like "let's murder all these people" plays to a growing appetite for bloodthirst with insane nationalists and also western audiences watching from the sidelines. even if the reality mercifully falls short of propaganda, it's not leading anywhere good.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
someone post that news story/statement about the roma being massacred by roving bands of nazis and how it was good

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so im hearing ukraine is winning because they took kherson? is this true?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

NeatHeteroDude posted:

that's insane. they can't possibly go through with that. there has to be some kind of procedural safeguard in place to prevent them from killing all these people. I wonder what the long term consequences on teaching as a profession will be if they start killing teachers for doing whatever it was that got them on the list (teaching russia approved stuff)

is...is this a bit?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
NHD is nothing but earnest and while they might sound a little rookie you'll get farther engaging them sincerely

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Build some good favor and gas the student debt relief thread.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

speng31b posted:

quoting this again because holy poo poo i read the whole thread and it's hosed up as hell

Slava Ukraine!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1592357998584041473?s=20&t=JjWiOst3QCASCL3ve9Bzug

speng31b
May 8, 2010

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Now, it seems like there are so many opportunities to cover what's going on in Ukraine that shouting down competing narratives will be infinitely more difficult

The competing narratives are out there, but if your entire media consumption experience is sitting on a computer or phone in the US consuming US apps and services, you'll get a pretty one sided picture.

I also posted yesterday, and others I think reposted since, things like what's happening now in Kherson are actively withheld from even friendly allied Western reporters. The Ukrainian government was revoking press permissions from journalists who entered Kherson and shot or released unapproved material. Even CNN got in trouble for it.

Since the beginning of the conflict you can see the uneven narratives in plain sight. The amnesty report getting slammed so hard that Ukrainians who worked for amnesty got put on kill lists and were forced to resign and renounce amnesty international or face possible death. The reports of weapon shipments going missing being suppressed before they can air. etc

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pushing back Russia in the dead of winter is a classic monarchist tactic I can't wait to see how it turns out for them.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

NeatHeteroDude posted:

the govt really doesn't have control or sway over the ultranationalists and neo nazis, it's especially not going to happen in a post-invasion ukraine

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

speng31b posted:

lot of teachers going to get murdered

murder implies unlawful. You mean executed

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

lol tankies

Mao executes teachers: Wow haha based marxist! Epic!!

Zelensky executes teachers: This is a warcrime. This is unconscionable... I demand that Biden do something about this

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Seems like ukraine feels about the same as good olde true america about what their children are being taught in schools

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Ethiopia with the no vote

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

crepeface posted:

someone post that news story/statement about the roma being massacred by roving bands of nazis and how it was good

NHD if you want to get a handle on the Ukrainian state I'd suggest this article.

https://khpg.org/en/1608809962

Hadlock posted:

:monocle:

Wow so there are, like, charitably, a dozen people in an office park somewhere assembling 4 a day? Like two container loads a year probably. And then 50 more people working in middle management marketing and whatnot. But like a dozen people are globally responsible for assembling these things. Volume is so low they probably put in a single 1000 unit order to two suppliers just in case one of them goes out of business. And yeah guys accepting 1000 unit orders taken a year in advance probably can't double their output because I bet in a lot of cases they're running this out of their garage

:psyduck:

The factory is in Alabama. There's only one supplier, it's Lockheed Martin intellectual property.
"To produce the Javelin anti-tank guided missile, various teams located around the U.S. collaborate to ensure the Warfighter’s arsenal stays full. After gathering material from 63 suppliers across 18 states, the missile rolls off the production line in Alabama. This is also where Wenona Sublett, production facility leader, oversees the team that helps finalize the F-Model’s production."

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/news/features/2020/essential-javelin-workers-shoulder-on-for-warfighter-during.html

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

NeatHeteroDude posted:

that's insane. they can't possibly go through with that. there has to be some kind of procedural safeguard in place to prevent them from killing all these people. I wonder what the long term consequences on teaching as a profession will be if they start killing teachers for doing whatever it was that got them on the list (teaching russia approved stuff)

Goddamn you are so dumb. Go back to your Disney cruise and forget about all this.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

euphronius posted:

the in has had some successes I guess like the law of the sea

The US never signed it so the law of the sea is not part of the Rules Based international order

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

“I, John Green, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty orc land can never be purged away but with blood." —John Green’s last words, written on a note

Note: I do NOT endorse this view, but it is out there

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I'm trying to imagine how western media will report on stuff like this a decade from now.

"it's not pretty, but this is what decolonization looks like"

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

NHD is nothing but earnest and while they might sound a little rookie you'll get farther engaging them sincerely

I am being very sincere in calling them a loving idiot.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Making a literal adult child who never posted here until like 3 months ago the mod here was an excellent troll

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
can someone tell me why the everyone's still obsessed over what dugin says and does

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

People are fascinated by Rasputin and want Dugin to have the same vibe

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

can someone tell me why the everyone's still obsessed over what dugin says and does

It's an easy name to remember even if you speak no Russian

speng31b
May 8, 2010

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

he fits into this very specific box of being the perfect type of crazy person that dumbass western audiences can say stuff like "oh he's kinda like, uhh, Putin's Rasputin, right!? Totally dude"

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

NeatHeteroDude posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with your brain

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Ardennes posted:

The longer this war goes on, I don’t think it is better for the Ukrainians. The Russians are taking hits to the face but the question if they are going to tap out or not.

Typically, fighters tap to submission holds, not strikes. Tapping to strikes is verboten- clearly a sign of a broken warrior.

Weka posted:

NHD if you want to get a handle on the Ukrainian state I'd suggest this article.

https://khpg.org/en/1608809962

The factory is in Alabama. There's only one supplier, it's Lockheed Martin intellectual property.
"To produce the Javelin anti-tank guided missile, various teams located around the U.S. collaborate to ensure the Warfighter’s arsenal stays full. After gathering material from 63 suppliers across 18 states, the missile rolls off the production line in Alabama. This is also where Wenona Sublett, production facility leader, oversees the team that helps finalize the F-Model’s production."

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/news/features/2020/essential-javelin-workers-shoulder-on-for-warfighter-during.html

I'll check it out! Thanks

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Ukraine isn't going to kill any teachers. Teachers usually vote Democrat and oppose Trump which means they're on the same side as Ukraine. Please... learn a little more history.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Calibanibal posted:

lol tankies

Mao Pol Pot executes teachers: Wow haha based marxist! Epic!!

Zelensky executes teachers: This is a warcrime. This is unconscionable... I demand that Biden do something about this

Ahem

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Horizon Burning posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with your brain

I think if you talk to someone outside about Ukraine and say "there are plans to murder teachers who taught Russia approved content to kindergarteners" the first response someone might have is "that can't possibly be true. There must be something that prevents that. It's insane" but that's all I really have to say about it if you're going to be rude

speng31b posted:

The competing narratives are out there, but if your entire media consumption experience is sitting on a computer or phone in the US consuming US apps and services, you'll get a pretty one sided picture.

I also posted yesterday, and others I think reposted since, things like what's happening now in Kherson are actively withheld from even friendly allied Western reporters. The Ukrainian government was revoking press permissions from journalists who entered Kherson and shot or released unapproved material. Even CNN got in trouble for it.

Since the beginning of the conflict you can see the uneven narratives in plain sight. The amnesty report getting slammed so hard that Ukrainians who worked for amnesty got put on kill lists and were forced to resign and renounce amnesty international or face possible death. The reports of weapon shipments going missing being suppressed before they can air. etc

I hadn't heard about the amnesty thing, Jesus christ. I've never heard of anything like this happening before. It's probably terrifying to be a ukranian living near the front anyway, but the added risk of being identified as a collaborator and extra judicially killed must be hell on your mental health

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

in general idk why people are so hostile towards others that dont know certain things

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
CEO General Secretary of Tankie here, I just want to clarify that C-SPAM unanimously supports all actions of both Pol Pot and Mao and furthermore thinks they were very hot :kimchi: :kimchi:

bonelessdongs has issued a correction as of 05:03 on Nov 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I think if you talk to someone outside about Ukraine and say "there are plans to murder teachers who taught Russia approved content to kindergarteners" the first response someone might have is "that can't possibly be true. There must be something that prevents that. It's insane" but that's all I really have to say about it if you're going to be rude

True, due process and laws have historically endured during and after wars. They probably just forgot to film the fair trial of that guy who got sledgehammered to death a few days ago too.