Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kazinsal posted:

"no tanks in deathmatch" e-bushido is dumb as hell imo

I've got tools to deal with him but just not to actually kill him unless I blunder into a duel that's already going on. Taking duels with anyone else feels like skill, Roadhog just feels like a "don't die" button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

YoshiOfYellow posted:

What kind of sicko plays Torbjorn in death match?
Symmetra is the secret queen of death match

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

YoshiOfYellow posted:

What kind of sicko plays Torbjorn in death match?

That's the Hero's Gauntlet-mode. You play 22 characters and the final one is Torb with just a Hammer. :black101:
Real fun way to deathmatch.

Edit: 21 now that Mei is banned. You get to play Junkrat twice instead. #OW2PROBLEMS

Issaries fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 14, 2022

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

the same kind of fucks that play Roadhog

Well poo poo. Well played.

And okay you get a free pass for hero gauntlet.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Is there a creator out there that has legit guides on how to Lucio. Literally just never was able to make this hero click.

also, is there a way to tell how many more comp games til you rank out?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

96 spacejam posted:

also, is there a way to tell how many more comp games til you rank out?

Your rank updates every 20 losses or 7 wins, whichever comes first.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Veryslightlymad posted:

I look at stats all the time but I think they're kinda meaningless. Or maybe the information conveyed is really not obvious at all, like "healing done" might just mean one side took more damage without dying. Or one side won a fight before they took much damage.

Damage done seems bad without elims. There's a few examples like this...

Well, that's kinda how data works, its all just numbers unless you know how to extrapolate good information.

I don't particularly care if my lucio had double the deaths of everyone else if we're winning every fight and they die halfway through, for example, because Lucio is fast enough to get back to the team in time for the next fight and them being so aggressive may well be giving our dps tons of space, etc.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Here's the stat I want: a timeline of the game marking character deaths with some sort of vertical element showing how near or far anyone was relative to the rest of their team.

So then, post battle, the DPS can see how they die, alone, far from the team.

Something like this, where one team is over the bar and one team is under it, left to right is time and distance from the center line is distance from team. Or maybe objective, or maybe tank. Make ot a drop dow.

So, in my example, the bottom team is straggling after losing the first teak fight

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 14, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Here's the stat I want: a timeline of the game marking character deaths with some sort of vertical element showing how near or far anyone was relative to the rest of their team.

mods, make it happen.

Seriously tho, I'm mid plat with tank and I watched a Moira ghost past me into a torb turret and then lose a duel with in. It was....magical.

A lot of it may be new players with the rotating character choice. If a guy just got access to a new char and he wants to try it out he's basically going to be a dead character for the map.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021
I think the reason folks stuggle with stomps and the game gets so toxic is because its so poorly balanced on top of being opaque on stats on top of locking folks into losing situations.

In other team based sports, folks can get really good at a role and excel in it, and sometimes the 1 on 1 duels, you just get toasted and the team has to compensate. That isn't really possible in Overwatch in many situations. You're locked into a role and if your team isn't willing to adjust as needed, even if you're technically better or technically worse, it may not actually matter. That is a lovely feeling even if its not accurate. Throw wonky abilities and very limited stats with literally NO feedback from the game, yeah its a recipe for toxicity.

Shoot even games like League of Legends and Dota allow you to kinda see the stats afterward or allow you abilities and stuff to maybe compensate for a weakness.

In Overwatch unless the entire team adjusts or you have someone just head and shoulders above the others, you can be locked into a loss (or a win!)and you'll be unable to see why.

I really do not understand their reasoning on hiding all of the stats and giving no after-match stats information. Its just so weird to me, like are they TRYING to make the game worse on purpose?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I just had an extremely good (but losing) QP game where it was just obvious that there was a tank diff. The enemy DPS were mediocre, me and the kiriko were doing the work, but the writing was on the wall just from the Rein feeding his head off. It was one of the rare games that didn't feel like a stomp.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 14, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The fact that they're waiting for 2 weeks before deploying a patch is loving stupid and defeats the whole point of a GaaS game.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

Jack Trades posted:

The fact that they're waiting for 2 weeks before deploying a patch is loving stupid and defeats the whole point of a GaaS game.

Also this. "We know certain characters are very unbalanced and unfair, but please keep playing a game knowing that any semblance of balance and maintenance is secondary to us keeping a schedule".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Javik the Seer posted:

Also this. "We know certain characters are very unbalanced and unfair, but please keep playing a game knowing that any semblance of balance and maintenance is secondary to us keeping a schedule".

That and not nerfing Sojourn for unclear reasons

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does she still count as "new"? They were quite open about releasing new heros in an intentionally OP state - it's obvious they did the same thing with Kikiro.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How is Junker Queen so loving bad. Good lord.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I love playing tank and have just really fallen in love with Orisa's new kit. Aside from the gigantic hitbox and absolutely worthless ult, are there any downsides to playing her (as opposed to another tank, a la no shield/not being Zarya) that I'm missing?

I'm also just really, uh, bad at DPS. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but unless I'm playing Reaper against a braindead team, I find myself not really being able to make an impact. I can't even take out a halfway decent Mercy who's bouncing around like an overcaffeinated squirrel half the time.

Also why does it feel like Sigma's barrier has way more HP than it actually does when I'm playing against him? I swear, it feels like that thing is indestructible.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the game being unbalanced doesn't matter for how good the teammates are in your games

the plat 4 doomfist in your game is a plat 4 doomfist and is just as powerful as the plat 4 zarya assuming they've played a bunch of games

the only exception is if someone picks a character theyre unfamiliar with

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

I love playing tank and have just really fallen in love with Orisa's new kit. Aside from the gigantic hitbox and absolutely worthless ult, are there any downsides to playing her (as opposed to another tank, a la no shield/not being Zarya) that I'm missing?

I'm also just really, uh, bad at DPS. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but unless I'm playing Reaper against a braindead team, I find myself not really being able to make an impact. I can't even take out a halfway decent Mercy who's bouncing around like an overcaffeinated squirrel half the time.

Also why does it feel like Sigma's barrier has way more HP than it actually does when I'm playing against him? I swear, it feels like that thing is indestructible.

The suck power let's sigma rest his barrier and still soak up incoming damage while creating temporary hitpoints. Combined with proper face tanking, the shield doesn't need to be deployed nearly as often as rein's and you can really stretch its durability with a bit of practice.

It doesn't hurt that 80% of cc getting nerfed makes the suck far easier to use without interruption.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

the plat 4 doomfist in your game is a plat 4 doomfist and is just as powerful as the plat 4 zarya assuming they've played a bunch of games

This is not true at all, Doom is very bottom tier of the tanks and Zayra is the very top. For the doom to be comparable they'd have to be a much better player.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

the only exception is if someone picks a character theyre unfamiliar with

:yeah: for example when toxic teammates get you to change from your one trick...

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How is Junker Queen so loving bad. Good lord.

I started doing better as her when I started playing her as a DPS. Sorry, team!

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

This is not true at all, Doom is very bottom tier of the tanks and Zayra is the very top. For the doom to be comparable they'd have to be a much better player.

This. Just like in other team sports, a lot of the time the difference is forcing the other team to perform much much better than your own, and the imbalances in overwatch make this less a player skill thing and more a character kit thing - the mark of bad balance.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

They didn't say they were or weren't better, they said they were "just as powerful" (playing their main), which is basically true. Like there's no bonus points for being some abstract concept of a "better player", even if it takes 10 units of Skill to be a plat level Doomfist main but 5 units to be a plat level Zarya main, they're both contributing plat levels of utility.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Countblanc posted:

They didn't say they were or weren't better, they said they were "just as powerful" (playing their main), which is basically true. Like there's no bonus points for being some abstract concept of a "better player", even if it takes 10 units of Skill to be a plat level Doomfist main but 5 units to be a plat level Zarya main, they're both contributing plat levels of utility.

I was assuming that they had the same level of skill, but you're saying that a plat doom has to work harder to maintain that level. Which yeah, maybe. But it's a hell of a handicap.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bleck posted:

I started doing better as her when I started playing her as a DPS. Sorry, team!

Maybe that's why I don't understand her kit at all. I look and see a worse roadhog and maybe that's mostly in my brain but I stopped seeing any junker queens at all after I left gold so idk what to think.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/OverwatchNaeri/status/1592200860263944192?s=20&t=iWH-8NytWnhyhbcVAUcwXg

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

yes the doomfist player is a more skilled player in the example, but they are just as powerful as a teammate as the less skilled zarya b/c they are both plat 4.

the game balance for what your team picks (assuming familiarity) basically does not matter! they can't throw by picking a lovely character on your team!

it's frustrating when people tilt at their teammate's main picks before the game even starts with the perception it's an autoloss or throw

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

yes the doomfist player is a more skilled player in the example, but they are just as powerful as a teammate as the less skilled zarya b/c they are both plat 4.

the game balance for what your team picks (assuming familiarity) basically does not matter! they can't throw by picking a lovely character on your team!

it's frustrating when people tilt at their teammate's main picks before the game even starts with the perception it's an autoloss or throw

Yeah but a bad Zarya is more useful than a bad Doomfist. You're right, competence is WAY more important than composition always. But a C- Zarya in a B+ team is better htan a B+ doomfist on that same team.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The Midniter posted:

I think she's a ton of fun on any map where a ground-based tank works, just keep in mind she doesn't have good mobility despite being a very aggressive character, and is extremely vulnerable if caught without cooldowns because her head is gigantic. She's also particularly vulnerable to Sombra hack since Fortify can't block it and it interrupts Javelin Spin, although that will be much less of a problem after tomorrow.

Her ult, obviously, is one of the weaker ones in the game but isn't completely useless imo. She builds it fast, and it pulls and slows and often forces at least one good support cooldown (suzu, lamp, luico amp, etc) or DPS mobility cooldown to escape, but you generally need someone to combo with.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sooo...Bastion but a Tank?
With Sojourn being "Widow but good" I feel like they're running out of ideas.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Javik the Seer posted:

Yeah but a bad Zarya is more useful than a bad Doomfist. You're right, competence is WAY more important than composition always. But a C- Zarya in a B+ team is better htan a B+ doomfist on that same team.

I feel like any level it really doesn't matter. Person is x good at y character, forcing them off it would make them worse, they've clearly already played against all the other characters to get to that point.

You either adjust to the playstyle or lose. Lots of people would rather bitch than do this.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The big irony of MMR is that it's very accurate if you main one hero and increasingly goes out the window when you pinch hit as something else.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Maybe that's why I don't understand her kit at all. I look and see a worse roadhog and maybe that's mostly in my brain but I stopped seeing any junker queens at all after I left gold so idk what to think.

I'm not as skilled as you, but right now, the Queen is the main tank I can reliably get wins with in competitive. She's better in control point or robot fights. She's less good at pushing the cart. She's definitely a tank and has some absurd durability, but to get to that point, you basically have to constantly be clawing and scratching at everyone. If you can axe several and apply bleed to several with your knife, that's huge.

You can also think of her ult as very anti certain characters. Ulting in response to a Zen ult will break it entirely. Ulting into Moira's dumb busted rear end ult is also a good feeling, because she will disintegrate.

Screaming applies a fair bit of health to everyone, and keeping it up during a fight has a tangible not-at-all-like-Doomfist benefit for your team. Her gun does more damage than it seems, and it's easier to headshot with than other spread weapons, because it has such a tight spread. You gotta play her kind of like a psychopath, and wade right into a fight. This is probably easier at really low levels where people aren't so coordinated, but the flipside is, if your team is coordinated, and they know to expect you to wade right in, you can disrupt formations something crazy.

Hacking down people with the axe is a serious amount of fun.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

dogstile posted:

I feel like any level it really doesn't matter. Person is x good at y character, forcing them off it would make them worse, they've clearly already played against all the other characters to get to that point.

You either adjust to the playstyle or lose. Lots of people would rather bitch than do this.

Oh no, I absolutely agree. If you have a head and shoulders above Genji and she's just annihilating them, she can carry a game...so long as other folks help them out with healing and diving and/or don't immediately die themselves. But i think that is kind of the problem, in that scenario, Pro Tier Genji is likely to draw a lot of flak for not changing or making the team lose, even though it wouldn't even require other hero swaps, just playstyle adjustments.

What I'm saying is, its a mess, and folks are less likely to make those adjustments because they often get incomplete information both during and after games on top of strangely balanced characters.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm not as skilled as you, but right now, the Queen is the main tank I can reliably get wins with in competitive. She's better in control point or robot fights. She's less good at pushing the cart. She's definitely a tank and has some absurd durability, but to get to that point, you basically have to constantly be clawing and scratching at everyone. If you can axe several and apply bleed to several with your knife, that's huge.

You can also think of her ult as very anti certain characters. Ulting in response to a Zen ult will break it entirely. Ulting into Moira's dumb busted rear end ult is also a good feeling, because she will disintegrate.

Screaming applies a fair bit of health to everyone, and keeping it up during a fight has a tangible not-at-all-like-Doomfist benefit for your team. Her gun does more damage than it seems, and it's easier to headshot with than other spread weapons, because it has such a tight spread. You gotta play her kind of like a psychopath, and wade right into a fight. This is probably easier at really low levels where people aren't so coordinated, but the flipside is, if your team is coordinated, and they know to expect you to wade right in, you can disrupt formations something crazy.

Hacking down people with the axe is a serious amount of fun.
Thanks for the writeup.

What should her positioning look like? I have a hard time pushing push her straight down the middle cuz she has no way of avoiding headshots, is she mostly a flanker?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'll put her in short flanks. (Example: in Colloseo, going around the windows of the main hall, but immediately going back in.) And I think she's good at removing flankers, certainly. I think this is why I don't like her on traditional cart maps, because there's long stretches where she's in the open and forced to move slow. (As opposed to the robot, where it will move very fast when it changes direction) She really just needs to scrum it up, and the old fashioned push maps are just too slow. I've had reasonable luck with defending on cart maps though. For example, the end of Junkertown (kind of appropriately), because I can spot check people trying to get in the right tunnel and the hallway on the other side. A healer/DPS combo trying to be cute and flanking together is another thing her ult will make very short work of. It's really good, but it took me a while to figure that out.

I think what you're worried about with being exposed is definitely a real problem of hers. KotH maps are less friendly in general to Snipers for the most part, and it's probably not a coincidence that I think she does better on them.

She's good at forcing the issue. She should be in the guts of the other team, but she also wants her allies to be there too, and she gives them the HP to hopefully embolden them. Hopefully. I think that's why I like her. I mentioned being sick of people having running fights away from the point as I watch it creep ever closer to the goal. gently caress that.

About the worst thing I see people do with her is using her shout for mobility instead of brawling. That's taking a lot of potential HP away from herself and her team.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Maybe the more wounds she inflicts the faster she moves?

Also her wounds should give her way more self-heal. right now you finish the average JQ match with like, three Roadhog breathers worth of heals if you're lucky

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yeah. While the bleed healing helps, it's not nearly as impactful as just yelling frequently, which, hey, at least also benefits your squishies. It does matter, though. And applying it to absolutely everyone within reason seems like a big part of that. It also stacks up some pretty good damage in its own right if you keep applying it. I use a lot of melee anyhow, so there's a bit of a natural fit. About the hardest part of the character is learning the timing and prediction on her axe, which is just obnoxiously slow, sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Been getting a bit of Stylosa content in recommendations lately and, uh... am I wrong or is he just not very good for a 'pro'

Like i'm not going to say I'm better than he is but I'm also not claiming to be or offering coaching tips