Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He literally says it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Oh.

Uh.

Ok.

I clicked on the following tweets and didn't see that one. That's a...reason, I suppose.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 3, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Drink Coke with Bleach
https://twitter.com/EliteFourJosh/status/1587914867331059712

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Wait, Jamieson Price was Chad's voice from the whole run of the dub?! I didn't even notice.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Delphisage posted:

Wait, Jamieson Price was Chad's voice from the whole run of the dub?! I didn't even notice.

Marc Worden was the VA for the first ~80 eps or so, and then Price for the rest iirc.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Oh.

Uh.

Ok.

I clicked on the following tweets and didn't see that one. That's a...reason, I suppose.

Yeah I don't get it either. Bleach, like a lot of anime, take place in Japan. Ichigo is an Asian kid ie. a person of color. I'd have no problem with more Asian-American voice-actors or anything but Chad isn't really special in this regard.

I wonder if this means Price won't reprise his voice for the dude in Persona 5 if it gets more sequels or spinoffs.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I think it's a nice gesture.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah I don't get it either. Bleach, like a lot of anime, take place in Japan. Ichigo is an Asian kid ie. a person of color. I'd have no problem with more Asian-American voice-actors or anything but Chad isn't really special in this regard.

I wonder if this means Price won't reprise his voice for the dude in Persona 5 if it gets more sequels or spinoffs.

:confused: you realize Chad is more than just Asian, right. like that's the reason they're getting a new VA. He is very much a second race besides Japanese here.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
He does offer more explanation

https://twitter.com/JamiesonPrice/status/1588352413756375040?t=o_krV44N_GQCBZaDk5G_Dw&s=19

https://twitter.com/JamiesonPrice/status/1588352416260321281?t=peAEzc-Mfsm-p0h_1730cQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/JamiesonPrice/status/1588352418445565953?t=ERvIt3bjruZCO39W1QFrEA&s=19

A few more tweets in the thread, so I recommend them all, but those are the notable ones.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

He does offer more explanation

A few more tweets in the thread, so I recommend them all, but those are the notable ones.

That all does make sense. I also appreciate his bothering to respond at all.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Complete_Cynic posted:

Marc Worden was the VA for the first ~80 eps or so, and then Price for the rest iirc.

That explains it. For some reason I couldn't find mention of this swap on the Tvtropes page I checked.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I know it was never intentional but letting the anime die off/go on hiatus and then come back to it years later was the best thing that could've happened to it because the new episode looks incredible and seeing the manga panels uncensored in the anime makes the war look so much more brutal

but since it's completely uncensored so far I have to wonder if we'll see Ichigo's nudist mother

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is it true Byakuya was supposed to die here?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gologle posted:

Probably.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gologle posted:

Never been officially confirmed and probably never will be, but like the manga spends three whole chapters on his "death", there's a dramatic scene of him passing on his wish to Ichigo before "dying", and then multiple characters straight up say "Byakuya Kuchiki has died" which makes it feel like Kubo wanted to kick off the arc with the dramatic death of a beloved character and then got walked back by his editors who were queasy about killing a guy who'd consistently ranked in the Top 5 for the popularity polls going back to essentially his first appearance.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they made the q sternritter, who dies offscreen, a boy what the heck

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Wait by this logic shouldn’t all the Arrancar still count since they’re Mexican too?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, Jamieson doesn't voice any of them so what does that matter?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

galagazombie posted:

Wait by this logic shouldn’t all the Arrancar still count since they’re Mexican too?

I thought it was more like Ghost Spain since flamenco is a traditionally Spanish style of music and the OST was incredibly heavy on it

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

one of the tres bestia is named apache

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

one of the tres bestia is named apache

weird to name them after a helicopter

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The Thousand Year Blood War anime is really good. Expanded a bit on some stuff we didn’t see without stretching things out. Excellent.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

O is for Overcooked

Also, finally finished catching up to the start of TYBW in the manga today :toot:

That last arc… Kinda felt like a whole bunch of sometimes-confusing filler where the only thing of consequence was Ichigo regaining his powers, and half of the Fullbringers just got unceremoniously merced. And what the hell was the seeming importance of the reveal that Kugo was also a deputy Soul Reaper?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

galagazombie posted:

He is only speaking for himself, not the whole industry but if the industry wants to adapt that, cool. I don't know how many people of color (black, latino, asian, etc) are in the NA dubbing industry but it's probably not nearly enough to fill out the 30 something arrancar that were floating around

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I mean, props to Price for sticking to his guns I guess. Just feels weird to straight up see him say "I'm not voicing people of color". I know he's coming from a good place...but as a People of Color, dunno how I should feel about that.

But more importantly IT'S OLD MAN YAMA TIME

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

But more importantly IT'S OLD MAN YAMA TIME

:hellyeah:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The last Bleach OP is good. (Spoilers Okay)

One of the few OPs I don't skip, although actually this is a banner season in general what with SxF and Chainsaw Man's as well.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I mean, props to Price for sticking to his guns I guess. Just feels weird to straight up see him say "I'm not voicing people of color". I know he's coming from a good place...but as a People of Color, dunno how I should feel about that.

Yeah his heart's in the right place but it's sort of a weirdly arbitrary line to draw to say as a white person you'd voice an Asian character in an anime but not a half-Asian, half-Hispanic character. But hey it's Price's ethics so whatever lets him sleep at night.

Mordja posted:

The last Bleach OP is good. (Spoilers Okay)

One of the few OPs I don't skip, although actually this is a banner season in general what with SxF and Chainsaw Man's as well.

Some real banger OP's this season all around. Hell we even got an OP by Franz Ferdinand which is not a phrase I expected to say ever.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sydin posted:

Yeah his heart's in the right place but it's sort of a weirdly arbitrary line to draw to say as a white person you'd voice an Asian character in an anime but not a half-Asian, half-Hispanic character. But hey it's Price's ethics so whatever lets him sleep at night.

Some real banger OP's this season all around. Hell we even got an OP by Franz Ferdinand which is not a phrase I expected to say ever.

His point was part of Chad's character is his pride in his heritage which would be better reflected by someone with that heritage.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Still can't get over how clean that pink and grayscale color scheme is

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
For as much of a mess as this whole arc becomes, this newfound animation quality really elevates these fights to extreme levels of hype. Which is all to say: holy poo poo, Yama.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Mordja posted:

For as much of a mess as this whole arc becomes, this newfound animation quality really elevates these fights to extreme levels of hype. Which is all to say: holy poo poo, Yama.

:haibrower:

(Do we need a :yamabrow: now?)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
No wonder Aizen's plan all centered around neutralizing Yamamoto.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I can't tell if I'm just being a fanboy who has been waiting to see this animated for like a decade or if this episode actually just owns this hard. I think it actually just absolutely loving rules.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I have no qualms being a fanboy this week. Yama did all that literally one handed. What the gently caress would he have been like with both arms.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Robviously posted:

I have no qualms being a fanboy this week. Yama did all that literally one handed. What the gently caress would he have been like with both arms.

Cue panel of Kenpachi "powering up" by using two hands on his sword.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
late but the arrancar aren't mexican they're weird ghost monsters???

I feel like I'm going crazy here

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The arrancar are diverse much like the global Spanish speaking population

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Episode was good, I appreciate that the long hiatus has allowed them to just absolutely ball out on this season so far.

Also hell yeah an expanded conversation between Yhwach and Aizen, hopefully best boy gets more to do in the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005
I didn't like that they implied Yama just gave up at the end. That was not in the manga, and seems completely against his character. I was hoping they'd do the opposite, and have him and the real Ywach fight at least a little.