Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tigren posted:

They also have to go to a lot of meetings, and actually participate in them. If you don't want meetings, stay a lower level engineer. But the higher up you go on the career ladder, the more your problems are people problems and less computer problems. And those mostly get solved in meetings.

At some point in my career I actually started appreciating the meetings. I'm too old to write code all day. Let someone else figure out how the gently caress the Spark Python API works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Neito posted:

Hacker News is like reddit for VCs and "Rise and Grind" types.

There's definitely that aspect to HN but not at all it's entirety. There's a plenty of good content and occasional gems that don't seem to appear anywhere else.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

KillHour posted:

At some point in my career I actually started appreciating the meetings. I'm too old to write code all day. Let someone else figure out how the gently caress the Spark Python API works.

I'm just a creative person and enjoy building things. I enjoy being the one to solve problems and clear blockers. So implementation is a must for me, at least right now. My dream job would probably be being the senior-est senior engineer that knows everything about everything and spending most of my time either tackling the most challenging/interesting projects or helping other people past whatever they're stuck on when they come to me.

I might angle for Senior Engineer or Staff Engineer based on everyone's feedback. I'm aware that becoming management-level is almost inevitable if you want to climb the career ladder but I'd like to delay it as long as possible without falling behind.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
You absolutely do not need to go into management

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mr. Crow posted:

You absolutely do not need to go into management

This.

I work at a place large enough that we have technical IC paths all the way up to the AVP level. They're super competitive, and there's not a huge amount of them, but they do exist.

Managing people sucks and if you don't want to be a people manager, don't be a people manager.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm just a creative person and enjoy building things. I enjoy being the one to solve problems and clear blockers. So implementation is a must for me, at least right now. My dream job would probably be being the senior-est senior engineer that knows everything about everything and spending most of my time either tackling the most challenging/interesting projects or helping other people past whatever they're stuck on when they come to me.

I might angle for Senior Engineer or Staff Engineer based on everyone's feedback. I'm aware that becoming management-level is almost inevitable if you want to climb the career ladder but I'd like to delay it as long as possible without falling behind.

I used to be this person and I am no longer this person. But I agree with everyone else that as long as you are this person, you need to stay out of management. All of the worst, most miserable managers I've ever had have been this person.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Hi goons, I'm looking for some career advice.

I decided to pursue a Computer Science degree in 2018 as a mature student, and I consider myself fairly well-rounded as a new grad:
  • I graduated in May from a top university in Canada with a solid GPA.
  • I was the team lead on my capstone project.
  • I've won prizes in a few hackathons, including from Caltech and Stanford.
  • I've done hundreds of Leetcode questions, and I'm confident I have a decent chance of passing a coding interview.
  • I'm comfortable with Java, JavaScript, Node.js, SQL, Python, and Django. I've also spent a significant amount of time learning modern C++, which is now the language I'm most comfortable with.
The problem is I don't have professional development experience. I'm sorry to say I didn't complete any internships, and my previous profession as a tradesman painter doesn't count for much of anything. :smith: I also don't feel like I have an identity as a developer. I'm very interested in system-level/high-performance computing (which is why I learned C++) but those roles typically require significant experience. I'm willing to work and learn but I feel somewhat aimless about what my focus should be. I'm currently spending my time deepening my knowledge of JavaScript so that I can pick up new frameworks and build up my portfolio, but I also feel as if I'm stretching myself in multiple directions.

Ultimately I just want to find a job, and it's been tough to gain traction. I've interviewed at Meta (I screwed up a coding question, but there's a hiring freeze anyhow) and I'm currently going through the process at Amazon, but I consider FAANG opportunities to be longshots, and I'm definitely looking to join smaller companies. Any suggestions on what I should be doing other than applying everywhere and keeping my resume sharp?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Grimes posted:

Hi goons, I'm looking for some career advice.

I decided to pursue a Computer Science degree in 2018 as a mature student, and I consider myself fairly well-rounded as a new grad:
  • I graduated in May from a top university in Canada with a solid GPA.
  • I was the team lead on my capstone project.
  • I've won prizes in a few hackathons, including from Caltech and Stanford.
  • I've done hundreds of Leetcode questions, and I'm confident I have a decent chance of passing a coding interview.
  • I'm comfortable with Java, JavaScript, Node.js, SQL, Python, and Django. I've also spent a significant amount of time learning modern C++, which is now the language I'm most comfortable with.
The problem is I don't have professional development experience. I'm sorry to say I didn't complete any internships, and my previous profession as a tradesman painter doesn't count for much of anything. :smith: I also don't feel like I have an identity as a developer. I'm very interested in system-level/high-performance computing (which is why I learned C++) but those roles typically require significant experience. I'm willing to work and learn but I feel somewhat aimless about what my focus should be. I'm currently spending my time deepening my knowledge of JavaScript so that I can pick up new frameworks and build up my portfolio, but I also feel as if I'm stretching myself in multiple directions.

Ultimately I just want to find a job, and it's been tough to gain traction. I've interviewed at Meta (I screwed up a coding question, but there's a hiring freeze anyhow) and I'm currently going through the process at Amazon, but I consider FAANG opportunities to be longshots, and I'm definitely looking to join smaller companies. Any suggestions on what I should be doing other than applying everywhere and keeping my resume sharp?

If you haven't, you should probably also post this in the caverns of cobol, since thats a more coder oriented sub than shsc

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, go to the newbie thread but as someone who hires lots of career change later in life people, you'll "catch up" fast. I suggest finding a job to get some of that experience as much for the resume as knowing what direction you want to go in. The first job is the hard one, after that it'll be more about what you want to do.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Breaking into an industry / getting a first job usually sucks. Your accomplishments seem good. Just keep pounding the proverbial pavement.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Who we are: Columbia Sportswear.
Where we are: Portland Oregon, but both of these jobs are available fully remote in most states in the US. The follow states aren't eligible for remote work: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia
I have two positions open.

---

Job title: Systems Engineer II (Windows/VMWare/Generalist)
Brief Job Description: The primary goal of this position is to maximize reliability, availability, and performance of the business' infrastructure, both on-premises and in various cloud providers. This is a mostly technical and operations (maintenance and break/fix) based role, you will work with various teams on both short- and long-term improvement projects.
Compensation: ~110k base +5% bonus and the usual large corporation compensation bonuses (401k match, medical, dental etc)
Job listing should be up within a week.

Job title: Cloud Network Engineer (Azure/AWS)
Brief Job Description: As Columbia’s Infrastructure technologies evolve, we need to ensure we have a technically sound, innovative, and scalable plan to meet future demands. Our Infrastructure team is looking for an experienced Network Engineer working in the Azure and AWS Clouds with secondary experience in datacenter and campus networking.
Compensation: ~$130k base +7% bonus and the usual large corporation compensation bonuses (401k match, medical, dental etc)
https://www.columbiasportswearcompany.com/job/14613721/infrastructure-cloud-network-engineer-portland-or/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

DigitalMocking posted:

Who we are: Columbia Sportswear.
Where we are: Portland Oregon, but both of these jobs are available fully remote in most states in the US. The follow states aren't eligible for remote work: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia
I have two positions open.

---

Job title: Systems Engineer II (Windows/VMWare/Generalist)
Brief Job Description: The primary goal of this position is to maximize reliability, availability, and performance of the business' infrastructure, both on-premises and in various cloud providers. This is a mostly technical and operations (maintenance and break/fix) based role, you will work with various teams on both short- and long-term improvement projects.
Compensation: ~110k base +5% bonus and the usual large corporation compensation bonuses (401k match, medical, dental etc)
Job listing should be up within a week.
Why not Iowa?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

ilkhan posted:

Why not Iowa?

No loving idea. I've asked HR about the list and I got some non-committal bullshit answer.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don't know if this applies to you but some states require having a business presence for tax purposes, and if you don't already have something like a retail store in that state, it may not be worthwhile to set one up for a single remote employee.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That would be my guess too. Likely a random HR person just knows that finance/legal gave them that list of states.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

The Fool posted:

I don't know if this applies to you but some states require having a business presence for tax purposes, and if you don't already have something like a retail store in that state, it may not be worthwhile to set one up for a single remote employee.

I get that, but we have at least one store in every state in the US. IDK man, I'm sure there's some reason for it, just seems odd that a company this big has those restrictions, but it is what it is.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's probably cost of living, HR hates the idea that your salary might go further doing the same job in a cheaper state

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Cripes I want that.

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 28, 2023

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Long shot but figure I'd post here during my job hunt. Lifted the format off a post in the front page.

My experience: 13 years in restaurants leading to my current job as department head at a restaurant group. I am responsible for ~89 employees.
My coding experience: doing some crappy crud apps for my work, my wife's company, and my MIL'S company. Most of a programming cert at a local CC. Some unity work.
What I'm looking for: entry level engineering
What I'm NOT looking for: help desk, people management.
Where I live: Colorado, prefer remote even if it's a lower wage.
Where I'm looking: Colorado, western Washington, Bay Area of CA.
When I can I start: nearly immediately. I would need to offboard with my current company and prefer to give ~1mo notice but I can switch my work with them to nights/ weekends pretty easily.
Requirements: At least $70k salary
Can be reached via: PM, outfieldrecords@gmail.com

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My org is hiring SRE type engineers.

linkedIn listing is here: Check out this job at H&R Block: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3249441445

None of the positions are on my team, but I do work with the hiring teams fairly often.

There's a lot of nonsense in the description, but if you have sre/devops like experience, are familiar with azure with a bonus of k8s experience, you'd be a good candidate

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
My company is looking for a Network & Systems Engineer in the US to help support our growing team and customers there. The position is fully remote. Our company is a niche market leader for MIS systems for the label and folding carton printing business.

Details can be found here: https://www.cerm.net/jobs.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

sixth and maimed posted:

My company is looking for a Network & Systems Engineer in the US to help support our growing team and customers there. The position is fully remote. Our company is a niche market leader for MIS systems for the label and folding carton printing business.

Details can be found here: https://www.cerm.net/jobs.
Interested, but the pay would be a question mark. Duties seem pretty mixed between triage and admin.

What can you tell me about working for them?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

My experience: 5 years of level 2/3 support, 1 of Technical Account Management
What I'm looking for: Any non-entry-level
What I'm NOT looking for: Entry level, helpdesk
Where I live: Boston/Providence corridor.
Where I'm looking: Will take anything remote or reachable via T/RIPTA, remote preferred.
When I can I start: Two weeks after offer.
Requirements: At least $80k salary, remote, full-time.
Can be reached via: PM

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

Interested, but the pay would be a question mark. Duties seem pretty mixed between triage and admin.

What can you tell me about working for them?

Disclaimer: I only joined the company 4 weeks ago and I work for the European team, so for the (small) American team YMMV.

CERM is a SME that is growing rapidly; currently demand outweighs our ability to supply. As such, we're constantly hiring and the company is experiencing the typical growing pains that go with growth and the need for oversight/processes/procedures. Personnel turnover isn't high, though, and some colleagues have been here for over +20 years. The position is with the IT team that currently has 5 persons in it. IMO pay is good and they care about personnel. There is little to no micromanagement and everybody is treated like an adult that can (and should) manage their own schedule/work.

If you have any more or specific questions, just shoot me a PM and I'll try and get you answers.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
My experience: 4-5 years IT Operations Support, 4 of them as a System Administrator in a Windows Shop. M365, Azure AD, VMWare Horizon, SharePoint, Power Automate
What I'm Looking For: Non-Entry Level Engineering or Administration
What I'm Not Looking For: Helpdesk/Service Desk
Where I Live: Raleigh, NC Area
Where I'm Looking: Raleigh Area, East Coast US, Remote anywhere
When I Can Start: 1-2 weeks after offer
Requirements: Full-time, no contract, benefits, remote or hybrid

Can be reached via PM

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

The Dreamer posted:

My experience: 4-5 years IT Operations Support, 4 of them as a System Administrator in a Windows Shop. M365, Azure AD, VMWare Horizon, SharePoint, Power Automate
What I'm Looking For: Non-Entry Level Engineering or Administration
What I'm Not Looking For: Helpdesk/Service Desk
Where I Live: Raleigh, NC Area
Where I'm Looking: Raleigh Area, East Coast US, Remote anywhere
When I Can Start: 1-2 weeks after offer
Requirements: Full-time, no contract, benefits, remote or hybrid

Can be reached via PM

PM sent

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My experience: 20 years total (one org). Network tech then network administrator with experience in Windows, Cisco, VMWare, Veeam, Meraki, M365, Azure AD etc. Then IT Manager - Operations, lead a team of network techs, managemented org wide projects, built and managed security infrastructure from the ground up, implemented DR plans, did new office builds, responsible for budgets, hiring for dept, etc. Good at speaking and communication with management. Managed vendor relationships.
What I'm Looking For: management or pre-sales role. Possible engineering, depending.
What I'm Not Looking For: crawling under desks, 4am router replacements, programming jobs
Where I'm Looking: Madison WI. On site is fine, remote is best.
When Can I Start: Immediately. Will accept a position that may not start until Q1 2023 though.
Requirements: Full-time. No contract.

Can be reached via PM.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
My experience: 20 years total in various technical and leadership roles, across a number of industries: ecommerce, government contracting, banking, and software, most recently 6 years in several roles across delivery and engineering for a publicly-traded global FinTech SaaS. I have managed to pick up an enormous breadth and depth of technical knowledge along my journey, and have achieved success in roles that had me working directly with senior leadership, both internally and on the client side. I've led teams of engineers through concurrent implementations of a very complex SaaS deployment for large (10B+ asset size) institutions, designed and built systems that saved millions of dollars in engineering time annually, and have had the privilege of sharing some of what I've learned through training courses and presentations put on for both technical and nontechnical audiences. I've worked in a handful of programming languages, gone deep on broader topics like networking, databases, content delivery, and have experience architecting systems that scale to meet the needs of the business. My public cloud experience is all AWS (though I'm not opposed to learning another), and I have significant experience dealing with hybrid architectures.

What I'm looking for: Principal Engineer/Architect, would consider DevEx or Solution Architecture roles
What I'm NOT looking for: On-call rotation, large travel commitments, web3/crypto nonsense, stack rankings based on lines of code
Where I live: Dallas, TX
Where I'm looking: Remote, but I don't mind travel to an office or a conference a few times a year (I've been remote and done this since 2015)
When I can start: January 2023
Requirements: Full time, remote (relocation / hybrid isn't off the table entirely but would need to be something exceptional)

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

My experience: 8 years of doing break/fix and 1/2nd level Windows support across multiple roles. 2 years using Service Now for ticketing,
What I'm looking for: 2nd level helpdesk/ entry level admin
What I'm NOT looking for: customer-facing positions/on call / w2 contract positions
Where I live: Greenville, TX 75401
Where I'm looking: Dallas TX/Remote - Remote preferred
When I can I start: now
Requirements: At least $50k salary, remote, full-time.

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 15, 2022

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I haven't looked at those jobs in a while but surely you could make 60k as t2/ Jr sysadmin?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Happiness Commando posted:

I haven't looked at those jobs in a while but surely you could make 60k as t2/ Jr sysadmin?
That was my first thought too. $40k seems awfully low for that experience.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Yeah, take way more than 40k

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

fair points, being laid off made me somewhat desperate. thanks

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What would you folks name as a title for a job where you do full-stack web development, database management, cloud administration, mobile app development, project management, etc. all in one position? DevOps Engineer, or is that too IT-sided for a job where programming is still most of the workload?

Principal Engineer, Staff Engineer, Architect

Also seen it as Founding Engineer, or styled as "Architect, Founding Engineer"

On a resume "founding engineer" gets my attention because it telegraphs "i did all the things, and people were still willing to give us more money at the end of the day" which is a pretty strong, ringing endorsement

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Edit Wrong Thread!

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 15, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wrong thread. :)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

My org is hiring SRE type engineers.

linkedIn listing is here: Check out this job at H&R Block: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3249441445

None of the positions are on my team, but I do work with the hiring teams fairly often.

There's a lot of nonsense in the description, but if you have sre/devops like experience, are familiar with azure with a bonus of k8s experience, you'd be a good candidate

Still actively hiring, here's the orgs main indeed page: https://www.indeed.com/cmp/H&R-Block/jobs

Here's a couple remote sre positions:

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/H&R-Block/jobs?q=remote+sre&l=#cmp-skip-header-mobile

Here's a bunch of other remote positions from O365 admin to software engineer:

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/H&R-Block/jobs?q=remote+infrastructure+&l=#cmp-skip-header-mobile

My team works directly with the SRE's and any goon getting one of those positions would be actively making my life easier.

I have PM's, so feel free to message with any questions.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 15, 2022

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Fool posted:

Still actively hiring, here's the orgs main indeed page: https://www.indeed.com/cmp/H&R-Block/jobs

Here's a couple remote sre positions:

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/H&R-Block/jobs?q=remote+sre&l=#cmp-skip-header-mobile

Here's a bunch of other remote positions from O365 admin to software engineer:

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/H&R-Block/jobs?q=remote+infrastructure+&l=#cmp-skip-header-mobile

My team works directly with the SRE's and any goon getting one of those positions would be actively making my life easier.

I have PM's, so feel free to message with any questions.

Sr Infrastructure Engineer
-Windows XP, 2000 and 2003 Advanced Server.
-Routing and other protocols such as: OSPF, BGP, IGRP, Serial, Frame Replay, IP RIP, VLANs, RIP, Ethernet, Access Lists.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Sr Infrastructure Engineer
-Windows XP, 2000 and 2003 Advanced Server.

Almost guarantee that someone is being dumb and copy-pasting from old job descriptions.

We don't actually have any of that in our environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The Fool posted:

Almost guarantee that someone is being dumb and copy-pasting from old job descriptions.

We don't actually have any of that in our environment.

Their list of poo poo would make someone hesitate to apply for such a position. It's lengthy.