Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Atopian posted:

Deathcount in the thousands.
No soldier or cop could hope to stand against China's apex land predator.

so that's where they get their isekai origin stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
BBC correspondent:

https://twitter.com/StephenMcDonell/status/1592421350370865152

Bloomberg news:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-15/china-s-guangzhou-city-sees-rare-protests-over-covid-lockdowns

In the meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1592145014003728391

Shijiazhuang is part of the greater Beijing metropolitan area, to be clear

In the other thread I speculated that provinces running up against budget constraints would de facto give up first. If Shijiazhuang does not lose its nerve in the face of a case count surge, this would be a far more aggressive reopening than I expected

ronya fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 15, 2022

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i am proud of my gz heritage :shobon:

https://twitter.com/doge_daytrader/status/1592404760757297152

Booty Pageant fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 15, 2022

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So are the people getting uppity because of lock downs or the economic situation.

Also would testing companies just lie about tests? or take the money and not even perform the tests?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
well if there's a will there's a way. wouldn't be surprising in the bureaucratic snakes and ladders that funding and incentivisation turns into bulking up numbers to go "see we're doing our job!!!!"

course whoever's overseeing is gonna pocket the change from hiring cheap labour from out of town.

mass manufacturing mentality i guess

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/alexludoboyd/status/1592545502528430081

my reading would be more modest: Foxconn employs 300,000 people in a city of 10 million, but certainly is not the only factory affected, so there are now local cadres unemployed as well as job openings left by migrants. Put two and two together.

Still, it's symbolic of something, I'm sure.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Mr. Xi, open those KTVs!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Probably obvious to many in the thread already, but the song is a famous song about freedom by a Hong Kong band, sung in Cantonese. It’s also used as a democracy anthem in Hong Kong and elsewhere. Not how it’s meant here, I guess, but it’s always hella moving when I hear it.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
what a loving legend

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what the hell is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPrQgZuOaH8

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s crawl night OP.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I dont trust the narrator

So is this like hazing, super fun party night, with crafts.....and a protest against the CCP?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmM06XrJsKU

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

proving yet again guangdong is the better china

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
mods rename me to chunghwa champion, tia

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
That's the healthiest looking corpse I've ever seen.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

lmao

https://twitter.com/AnnieClaireBO/status/1592784639474929665

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
the prime minister's office just issued a readout of the topics they talked about, not what was said about them

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

well, xi is right about that. even the most mild of public transparency ISNT how he conducts conversations or does anything

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If you let the working class plebs know what their leaders have been talking about, next they'll be wanting a say themselves and that's not okay! I am very communist.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
In a piece of bad(?) news, WoW will be unavailable in China

https://www.wowhead.com/news/blizzard-entertainment-and-netease-suspending-services-in-china-on-january-23-329949

What is the gaming situation like in China nowadays? I know the government starting cracking down on it pretty hard a couple years back

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

thetoughestbean posted:

In a piece of bad(?) news, WoW will be unavailable in China

https://www.wowhead.com/news/blizzard-entertainment-and-netease-suspending-services-in-china-on-january-23-329949

What is the gaming situation like in China nowadays? I know the government starting cracking down on it pretty hard a couple years back

As I understood it, the govt. was cracking down on the microtransaction based phone games. Because Uncle Xi saw his grandkids playing too much on their phones, and decided this was counter-revolutionary and would lead to disharmony.

But this is the impression I got from far away, and as a non-gamer. So is probably over-simplified and possibly factually wrong. Sorry.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Now just think how superhuman this guy would be if he didn't have incipient emphysema.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

William B. Davis and Dustin Hoffman star in Cigarette Smoking Marathon Man.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Twitter is acting like Trudeau got absolutely bodied, but I thought his response was perfectly reasonable and Xi comes across as petulant because he can't intimidate another head of state the way he can Hu Jintao. Xi storms off and Trudeau just stares after him like "what the gently caress Pooh Bear?"

You can hear Xi snipe, "Hen Tian Zhen!" (how naïve!) as he he disappears backstage as well. Cry more.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Atlas Hugged posted:

Twitter is acting like Trudeau got absolutely bodied, but I thought his response was perfectly reasonable and Xi comes across as petulant because he can't intimidate another head of state the way he can Hu Jintao. Xi storms off and Trudeau just stares after him like "what the gently caress Pooh Bear?"

You can hear Xi snipe, "Hen Tian Zhen!" (how naïve!) as he he disappears backstage as well. Cry more.

Xi was probably trying to see if Trudeau would follow and attempt to make up for hurting the feelings of the Chinese people or whatever.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

To be honest, if you’re publicizing confidential conversations without giving the other world leader a head’s up, you’re burning that bridge. I don’t even think this is a particularly Chinese thing. It’s just how diplomacy works — a lot of exchanges of goodwill.

Trudeau would be naive if he genuinely thought he could flout these conventions and still be warmly received by Xi.

But it seems just as likely that Trudeau just doesn’t care about working with China and would rather win some votes for openness or combativeness or whatever. That’d be cynical rather than naive, but I guess Xi is giving him some benefit of the doubt.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Atlas Hugged posted:

Youtube commenters have basically the same reaction to the famous video of Jiang Zemin going apeshit with his "too young, too simple, sometimes naive” speech when a HK reporter simply asked a decent question (essentially: what's the point of an election with only one candidate). Bootlickers love to see unelected leaders throw tantrums.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Vegetable posted:

To be honest, if you’re publicizing confidential conversations without giving the other world leader a head’s up, you’re burning that bridge. I don’t even think this is a particularly Chinese thing. It’s just how diplomacy works — a lot of exchanges of goodwill.

Trudeau would be naive if he genuinely thought he could flout these conventions and still be warmly received by Xi.

But it seems just as likely that Trudeau just doesn’t care about working with China and would rather win some votes for openness or combativeness or whatever. That’d be cynical rather than naive, but I guess Xi is giving him some benefit of the doubt.

But wasn't it only the topics, not the substance?

And I'm of the opinion that an elected leader should be informing the nation he represents what will be discussed.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
These were basically minutes, not confidential diplomatic cables or the like.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 17, 2022

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

It's worth noting that governments (including China!) routinely issue official readouts of meetings between leaders that give varying levels of detail on the topics discussed. The US one for the Biden-Xi meeting, for example, is fairly specific, unless the Canadians were leaking like word-for-word conversations I'm not sure what there is to get huffy about.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm beginning to think China just doesn't loving like Trudeau very much.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

never should have gave up the Michaels

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Porfiriato posted:

It's worth noting that governments (including China!) routinely issue official readouts of meetings between leaders that give varying levels of detail on the topics discussed. The US one for the Biden-Xi meeting, for example, is fairly specific, unless the Canadians were leaking like word-for-word conversations I'm not sure what there is to get huffy about.

Russia and other illiberal states also have a routine of going on tirades and throwing tantrums about "respect" when they get caught doing shady poo poo abroad and called out for it.

I think it stems from the siege mentality any dictatorship will assume after a while. You're spending a lot of time and money spying on and undermining your enemies, so you assume they must be doing the same. People can't just agree to being ruled, right?

It's just unfair that China isn't allowed to do what everyone else is doing. :qq:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Vegetable posted:

i think the issue is that the only person who thought they were confidential is xi jinping.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
after speaking with biden, xi has taken up american pasttime, blame canada

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I think it's a power move on the part of Xi. Bully a middle power to gain some clout, because he doesn't dare pull that poo poo with the US after it crippled China's semiconductor industry with a stroke of a pen a few weeks ago.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fearless posted:

I think it's a power move on the part of Xi. Bully a middle power to gain some clout, because he doesn't dare pull that poo poo with the US after it crippled China's semiconductor industry with a stroke of a pen a few weeks ago.

Eh, I can see china bullying its neighbors or trade partners from the belt and road.

Canada....for better or worse Canada is USA's hat. There s not much that can be done to it. Other than threat to cut off the chinese money. Which I think the CCP is gonna try to do one way or another anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Fearless posted:

Bully a middle power to gain some clout, because he doesn't dare pull that poo poo with the US

This is also the role the UK played in regards to Russia the last few decades, until everyone realised they were a fumbling joke power and that Russia was p weak too!