Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Mirthless posted:

christ almighty

this is such a wild naive thing to say that I am physically stunned

you should spend a solid, full day doing nothing but reading about the history of american intervention in south american conflicts

you will never again question the limits of human depravity in conflict (or what the US will accept from their allies)

idk why it's so stunning, it's a completely normal liberal take. even libs who are generally critical of America's policies and police state tend to build their world view around the idea that at their core, the institutions of a liberal democracy are pretty good and just need a little touch up here and there, not that they are fundamentally bad.

willing to bet in our day to day lives this is the overwhelming viewpoint of most people we all interact with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

lmao the danes sent a brigade's worth of nazis.

For some reason the only group written with a the before them are the Danish. Like the author wanted to write "the perfidious Danes" or something.

Though the list does look incomplete. Might be down to character limit?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/TreasChest/status/1592392137689116672

We'll only exchange prisoners if you return all the traitorous dogs that ran away instead of waiting for the nazi death squads!

Thank you mr president.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Can someone help me with the timeline of Minsk 2 violations?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ah they must be talking about sending in their next batch of freshly trained reserves.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Though the list does look incomplete. Might be down to character limit?

sweden “only” had a couple hundred guys join the waffen-ss, but there were 10k+ volunteers for the reindeer enjoyer expeditionary force in 1939-40. by the time barbarossa went down most people who wanted to go fight communism had already tried it and most of them probably didn’t feel like a rematch.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

well someone is treating this war with the seriousness it deserves

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Mirthless posted:

christ almighty

this is such a wild naive thing to say that I am physically stunned

you should spend a solid, full day doing nothing but reading about the history of american intervention in south american conflicts

you will never again question the limits of human depravity in conflict (or what the US will accept from their allies)

https://twitter.com/ananavarro/status/343413687689834496

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

genericnick posted:

Or the other way round

this is a dance to avoid facing the unpleasant truth of the government of ukriane

governments are what governments do

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
traitorous teachers will certainly be held accountable

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Homeless Friend posted:

traitorous teachers will certainly be held accountable

Moving to Ukraine to join the foreign teachers legion

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

I don't blame Ana Navarro-Cadenas for staying ignorant on this because I wouldn't want to beleive my dad was a mass murdering rapist either

For the rest of America, there is no excuse

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/Kozatsky_D/status/1592277948794802176

lol lmao

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
purging the undesirables, as a joke

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
doing warcrimes ironically

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ram dass in hell posted:

russian steve bannon

Steve Bannon actually had strong connections with the White House at one point though. Not sure we've seen any indication that Dugin and Putin ever talked?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lmfao, you think dugin communicates with putin via human language rather than through psychic communion through the astral plane, warded from outside observation with the most powerful runes of protection?

you imbecile

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Oh poo poo, is THAT what NAFO has been doing all along?

Did we fall for the most elaborate satire ever?:eek:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

even that boneface guy is in awe of liberal mental gymnastics:

Boneface interview cite posted:

What do you think of how Western media reports on it?

There is a ton of liberal white washing when it comes to Fascists in Ukraine:

"Nazis don't exist' "Azov battalion and Azov regiment are different “ , "They took all the Nazis out of Azov”.

We know all these to be false, and to a guy who knew and been there; I see it has pure disrespect to tarnish the legacy of a lot of those who died.

Clearly they don't know what to think of it. I speak out against the white washing of Nationalists by the media. Despite the fact they blasted us for years and even the Ukrainians tried to force fully uproot Azov at one point.

I use Twitter to mainly troll the (western) left, as they believe Ukraine military isn't full of nationalist ideals.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

NeatHeteroDude posted:

that's insane. they can't possibly go through with that. there has to be some kind of procedural safeguard in place to prevent them from killing all these people. I wonder what the long term consequences on teaching as a profession will be if they start killing teachers for doing whatever it was that got them on the list (teaching russia approved stuff)
/

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
procedure means bureaucracy, and bureaucracy means the death of the advanced digitized economy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
not to worry, i hear nazis are real efficient when it comes to bureaucracy

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i'm sure not everyone will be killed - that seems impractical - but a fair amount will, and a lot of people will face reprisals short of killing, like being robbed and beaten up etc. - the lack of control cuts both ways, and you'll find people who want to kill someone as well as those who just want to tape them to lamp posts and probably a fair amount of people who will just slip between the cracks

this is not a situation where there's any real procedure in place other than "angry men with guns and a grudge are roaming the streets with impunity, chasing vaguely-defined collaboraters"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
good thing ukraine isn't nazi tho.

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm sure not everyone will be killed - that seems impractical - but a fair amount will, and a lot of people will face reprisals short of killing, like being robbed and beaten up etc. - the lack of control cuts both ways, and you'll find people who want to kill someone as well as those who just want to tape them to lamp posts and probably a fair amount of people who will just slip between the cracks

this is not a situation where there's any real procedure in place other than "angry men with guns and a grudge are roaming the streets with impunity, chasing vaguely-defined collaboraters"

You would be surprised how easy it is to pogrom people. Someone already mentioned that this war has kickstarted the process of relitigating the memory of WW2 in the first world where every nation east of poland gets to have their baptism by fire moment alongside their western european allies against the asiatic bolshevik horde.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Supposedly, the Russians may have the road span of the Crimean bridge temporarily fixed by December 20th. In addition, the rail span is also operational at slow speeds, but it will be next year before it is fully fixed (details are a bit more sketchy). I don't think the Ukrainians can leave it alone considering how essential it is to supplying both Crimea and its land-birdge.

It looks like the Zaporizhzhia-Donetsk frontline is slowly heating up. The Ukrainians are moving more forces in the region while the Russians took Pavlovka and are preparing to move on Vuhledar. In addition, they also moving deeper into Marinka. It seems mostly about expanding a buffer zone around the Donetsk specifically.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:45 on Nov 15, 2022

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Tankbuster posted:

good thing ukraine isn't nazi tho.

You would be surprised how easy it is to pogrom people. Someone already mentioned that this war has kickstarted the process of relitigating the memory of WW2 in the first world where every nation east of poland gets to have their baptism by fire moment alongside their western european allies against the asiatic bolshevik horde.

one of the main effects of the pogroms was to create a lot of refugees - many more than actually died. this sort of purge works not by systematically killing everyone in a group, but by making a fair few examples, driving off a lot of others and causing the rest to keep their heads firmly and, ideally, permanently down

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

speng31b posted:

idk why it's so stunning, it's a completely normal liberal take. even libs who are generally critical of America's policies and police state tend to build their world view around the idea that at their core, the institutions of a liberal democracy are pretty good and just need a little touch up here and there, not that they are fundamentally bad.

willing to bet in our day to day lives this is the overwhelming viewpoint of most people we all interact with

It's hard for me to tell from the post in question whether NHD is saying that's what he believes, or whether he's just saying "this is what most people would believe if you told them" (which is true).

Either way, beyond all the specific stuff happening right now, I think the most important thing to understand is the broader history of the region and how it later ties into anti-communism on the part of the US/NATO. I get the impression that most people, including many who have posted in this thread, are completely clueless about this stuff and just think the story begins and ends with Ukraine being a country that happens to be near Russia. So even if you get them to acknowledge the existence of these far-right groups, they won't make the connection between those groups and other attempts by the US to elevate fascists in opposition to the USSR (and the way the US generally carried the Nazis' torch post-WW2). They'll just think "so there are far-right groups in Ukraine, but there are far right groups in most countries so what does this have to do with the war?" instead of realizing that this stuff is directly related to why there's a conflict to begin with.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
At its heart liberalism is about embracing the status quo, and that comes with everything the US is about and what it does. Americans know what has happened in the past, they are simply okay with it (but don't want to know too many of the details).

It isn't because stupidity, they really deep down just don't really care...at all.

-----------------------

The Iraq War comes up quite often but I don't really think most people have embraced what it really was about. I think you can safely ignore "bringing democracy" and humanitarian concerns, and the US had plenty of access to oil in 2003. In fact, oil prices were still relatively depressed compared to where they were in the early 1980s.

The big issue? Just Saddam was in the way, and while the Iraqi regime was relatively toothless, there needed to be housekeeping. Qaddafi wasn't that different.

Did tens of millions of lives get turned upside for no useful result? Yes Does anyone in the US inclding its "left wing" really care? Absolutely not

Will they care about the Ukrainians the second that Ukraine isn't strategically in question?

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:54 on Nov 15, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

jokes on you, I was only pretending to be re... actionary

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/Kozatsky_D/status/1526968884850479105

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

to be fair if malcolm nance wore azov shorts and a swastika under the same justification, this would not strain credulity for me

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

they're taking it back from the racists

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Symbol of peace! Symbol of peace!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFPhWdIs7Bs
(Iron Sky)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

so glad to see fellow hindus fighting against oppression :)

tambourine
Oct 11, 2021

StashAugustine posted:

quick reminder Pol Pot was backed by the US

and the PRC

but we don't talk about that here, that's haram

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's not considered syq to quote posts made within this thread itself, right?

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NeatHeteroDude posted:

that's insane. they can't possibly go through with that. there has to be some kind of procedural safeguard in place to prevent them from killing all these people. I wonder what the long term consequences on teaching as a profession will be if they start killing teachers for doing whatever it was that got them on the list (teaching russia approved stuff)

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NeatHeteroDude posted:

due process for military court at like, the very least. is there no one in the Ukrainian government who sees a big problem with murdering lots of people consequence-free? won't this have big long-term ramifications on the relationship between Ukraine and its citizens? i understand that the answer is "no, they don't care." but I don't get how they're prioritizing their goals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

tambourine posted:

and the PRC

but we don't talk about that here, that's haram

Yeah China supported Pol Pot way more than the US did, and invaded another communist country to punish them for deposing him.