Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

lol that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A goldmine for 25 year old poo poo posters everywhere.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah what is that dork poo poo? When do we get the leak for the models from Reboot??

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/GameHistoryOrg/status/1592217553740316672

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Oh wow.

I wish eternal darkness 64 and that playstation cat dog game would come out

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SeANMcBAY posted:

A goldmine for 25 year old poo poo posters everywhere.
I am incredibly excited for the #content

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I feel like reading that article is like watching a timeline of the company lose the plot.

I loved SimCopter on PC, as it wasn’t really trying to be a Serious Business flight sim. I feel like it could have worked as a direct port (excepting technical limitations like the draw distance). Even using sprite-based Sims was probably a better choice than the eldritch horror of the PC version:

Though the himbos would need a cutesy sprite update:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Okay, so what's the joke/story with the himbos they mention?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

quote:

The game gained controversy when it was discovered that designer Jacques Servin inserted an Easter egg that generated shirtless men in Speedo trunks who hugged and kissed each other and appear in great numbers on certain dates, such as Friday the 13th. The egg was caught shortly after release and removed from future copies of the game. He cited his actions as a response to the intolerable working conditions he allegedly suffered at Maxis, particularly working 60-hour weeks and being denied time off. He also reported that he added the "studs", as he called them, after a heterosexual programmer programmed "bimbo" female characters into the game, and that he wanted to highlight the "implicit heterosexuality" of many games. Although he had initially planned for the characters to appear only occasionally, the random number generator he had created malfunctioned, leading them to appear frequently. Servin was fired as a result, with Maxis reporting that his dismissal was due only to his addition of unauthorized content. This caused a member of AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power (ACT UP), a gay AIDS organization, to call for a boycott of all of Maxis' products, a measure which Servin rejected. Some months later, a group named RTMark announced its existence and claimed responsibility for the Easter egg being inserted into the game, along with 16 other acts of "creative subversion." Servin stated that he had received a money order of $5,000 from RTMark for the prank. It was revealed later on that Servin was a cofounder of RTMark.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, so what's the joke/story with the himbos they mention?

Simcopter has a special mission which activates on Friday 13th to rescue nude men.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBPHgewGvrQ

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

SimCopter was a solid, arcade-y game and the hook of flying around Sim City 2000 creations was a cool novelty. I had always wanted to see a follow-up.

The game has tons of voice clips that are perfect for soundboards though. "Get moving you stupid idiots!" and the one asking rioters to evacuate now or they would all die are good in CSGO occasionally :v:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I had so much loving fun with SimCopter, I had no clue there was an N64 version.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There wasn't! That's why it's in this thread!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Japan got a SimCity game on the N64 too. Very jealous.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Servin’s RTMark loving around lead to a much more famous career as one of the two political activists, the Yes Men.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I remember rooting for the 64DD to work out, not because of console fanboyism or anything, but because there was some cool stuff in the works for it and the prospect of having add-ons for games like Goldeneye and Turok made my kid-self super excited. That track editor for F-Zero X alone had me stoked.

Would love to peer into the alternate dimension where they opted to just use CD's from the start instead, though!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I dunno, I kind of like the chonky floppies the 64DD used. It was a good idea for releasing expansion content for games. I'm fine with the 64 using cartridges and having a save system that doesn't require memory cards.

Probably the biggest flaw of CD and DVD consoles were memory cards and dealing with storage space limitations. Cartridge games, you went into it knowing how many save spaces you had.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Randalor posted:

Cartridge games, you went into it knowing how many save spaces you had.

Though there were more than a fair few N64 games that only allowed saving on memory card anyway.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Randalor posted:

I dunno, I kind of like the chonky floppies the 64DD used. It was a good idea for releasing expansion content for games. I'm fine with the 64 using cartridges and having a save system that doesn't require memory cards.

Probably the biggest flaw of CD and DVD consoles were memory cards and dealing with storage space limitations. Cartridge games, you went into it knowing how many save spaces you had.

http://micro-64.com/database/gamesave.shtml

There were quite a lot of games that required a memory card.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arivia posted:

Servin’s RTMark loving around lead to a much more famous career as one of the two political activists, the Yes Men.

Whoa I never realized that

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

http://micro-64.com/database/gamesave.shtml

There were quite a lot of games that required a memory card.

Okay, let me rephrase that, having a save system that doesn't necessarily require memory cards.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Whoa I never realized that

This video linked from the SimCopter 64 video goes over it https://youtu.be/zDcuOitbmbg

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The 64DD always had this sort of mythical status to me. When I was 8 I didn’t understand the context in which it existed (it’s just a FDS but for the N64) so it just felt like this cool thing that was gonna make the N64 even better and all these new games were being made only for it and it felt like the future until the actual future came because it was always just on the horizon. It’s probably the first time I understood that the games I played come from Japan and that there’s even more over there that we don’t get.

I would still like one for the same reason I own a Virtual Boy: it’s something I thought was impossibly cool as a child and even though I should know better now, I kinda don’t.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

even as a kid i knew that the PAL region games were kind of like knockoffs and the japanese games were the "real" original versions and that there were a lot of games out there that i wanted to play. thats part of the reason i ended up collecting the jp versions rather than the ones i grew up with

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i forget who said it but regarding pal/ntsc incompatibilities: "PAL is for your protection"

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

DC Murderverse posted:

The 64DD always had this sort of mythical status to me. When I was 8 I didn’t understand the context in which it existed (it’s just a FDS but for the N64) so it just felt like this cool thing that was gonna make the N64 even better and all these new games were being made only for it and it felt like the future until the actual future came because it was always just on the horizon.

I mostly wonder if there was any real point to it other than games with editors. At the time it felt like having a ton of save space might do some cool stuff - I remember a possible example was of a game had a cave with destroyable crystals, it would save exactly which ones were broken, and possibly have them grow back over time.

But PCs have had pretty much all the space they could want for saved games, and it just doesn’t seem to be super necessary, except for open world games that let you leave persistent stuff in the world. And no way was the N64 supporting that in any kind of playable state. Though that does start getting close to that crystal idea, at least in function. Keeping track of a ton of random items.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The internal clock was going to be used for a number of games for persistent mechanics and features. The one I remember off the top of my head was Cabbage, where whatever creature you created it would seem like it kept growing and interacting with the world, even when the system was shut off. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabbage_(video_game)

The use for editors and expansion sets for games was an interesting selling point, but the extra space didn't seem too big and still didn't come close to a CD, which seems like an especially foolish investment in hindsight

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

to me the most mythical thing was the satellaview. id only vaguely heard about it but "games from space" sounded so cool

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Shibawanko posted:

to me the most mythical thing was the satellaview. id only vaguely heard about it but "games from space" sounded so cool

I wish they at least tried it here like Sega did with the Sega Channel. I was a spoiled brat who had that and it loving owned so much.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TVs Ian posted:

I mostly wonder if there was any real point to it other than games with editors. At the time it felt like having a ton of save space might do some cool stuff - I remember a possible example was of a game had a cave with destroyable crystals, it would save exactly which ones were broken, and possibly have them grow back over time.

But PCs have had pretty much all the space they could want for saved games, and it just doesn’t seem to be super necessary, except for open world games that let you leave persistent stuff in the world. And no way was the N64 supporting that in any kind of playable state. Though that does start getting close to that crystal idea, at least in function. Keeping track of a ton of random items.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-vusWL2cx4&t=239s

I never played Excitebike 64 but this was pretty neat.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
64DD was hyped up in Nintendo Power and I'm still feeling a little betrayed about it. One of those loss of innocence moments I guess. They told me it was gonna have a new Earthbound and make your own Zeldas!! or something like that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Light Gun Man posted:

64DD was hyped up in Nintendo Power and I'm still feeling a little betrayed about it. One of those loss of innocence moments I guess. They told me it was gonna have a new Earthbound and make your own Zeldas!! or something like that.

I remember seeing F-Zero X Expansion Kit in Official Nintendo UK and the concept of a track creator blowing my mind.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

At least for me the idea of content you make for a game, I didn't understand that it would have limits back then and apparently neither did anyone else at my middle school so it all seemed more amazing than it ended up being. Whenever we heard you could make a character/level or whatever for some future thing it was always "I'm gonna make this thing that does this and this and this" that was all just impossible poo poo.

I learned my lesson when I got some n64 fighting game with a character creator and instead of being able to make all my dreams come true I could make bald guy.... guy with spiky hair... bald woman and they all played like every other character.

Good soup! posted:

Would love to peer into the alternate dimension where they opted to just use CD's from the start instead, though!

My stupidest (maybe) genuine belief is that the n64 using cartridges instead of CDs is a kind of butterfly effect moment that had a far reaching impact on everything thats happened since. People spend a lot of time playing videogames, if FFVII came out on the n64 instead of the psx that would have changed enough in so many people's lives, even if just from load times being faster because the cpu on the n64 was substantially more powerful than the psx, that it would have caused a chain reaction and by 2000 nothing would have been the same. Simpsons would have been cancelled, we'd be posting this on digg, Al Gore would have been president, 9/11 wouldn't have happened, who even knows.

The possibilities are endless

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
similarly, what if the psp used cartridges and was actually good

there's a lot of potential weird alternate futures out there

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BrainDance posted:

My stupidest (maybe) genuine belief is that the n64 using cartridges instead of CDs is a kind of butterfly effect moment that had a far reaching impact on everything thats happened since.

of course the playstation exists because nintendo backed out of their sony deal so

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Without the Playstation as an additional point of competition, maybe the Sega Saturn would have sold more, and likewise with the Dreamcast, and Sega would still be making consoles

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wish they at least tried it here like Sega did with the Sega Channel. I was a spoiled brat who had that and it loving owned so much.

I'm not gonna lie I love that - thanks to the SEGA Channel - you can technically say that there's a Lost Media Garfield Game. You know, for shitposting points.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Without the Playstation as an additional point of competition, maybe the Sega Saturn would have sold more, and likewise with the Dreamcast, and Sega would still be making consoles

the cd-i would have dominated the gaming world

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Zamujasa posted:

similarly, what if the psp used cartridges and was actually good

there's a lot of potential weird alternate futures out there

Isn’t that just a game boy advance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But without Nintendo needing a new CD partner, the CD-i would not have its most iconic games.