Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

runawayturtles posted:

If you also have the Sapphire Reserve, the points redemption multiplier boosts the Freedom Unlimited to 2.25%. The Sapphire Preferred boosts it to 1.875%.

Otherwise, for just basic cash back (so ignoring the possibility of transferring to a travel partner for better value), not really.

Some conditional asterisks to put on Chase Sapphire points:

*Redeeming points for money in the bank is 1 cent per point, no multiplier.
*The Sapphires' multipliers only take effect on either paying for travel through the Ultimate Rewards portal (planes, hotels, rental cars available through Chase) or for statement credit in Pay Yourself Back which has quarterly purchase categories.
*Another redemption route is gift cards, most of which are 1 cent per point but some are have a 10% discount or 1.1 cents per point.
*Travel partner mileage may vary. Among airlines, some partner programs have a 1:1 point exchange rate, while others may redeem at better rates if you are flying to a specific country.

There are a lot of factors to consider, at least for unwashed poors like me.

actionjackson posted:

for just basic cash back, is there any reason for me to use chase freedom unlimited over the WF active cash card?

To answer the original question: If those are your only two cards, then use the Freedom Unlimited for restaurants and drugstores for the 3% back and book travel through Chase for 5% back when applicable, and use the Wells Fargo 2% back everything else.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Don't forget Pay Yourself Back muiltipliers, redeem for apple stuff multipliers, transfer partners that let you redeem for more than a cent per point, etc.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
edited for wrong info

My comment assumed access to at least Pay Yourself Back, which for the Reserve is easy to use because restaurants are included. So assuming you eat out or get delivery sometimes, you can get a decent multiplier on Chase points without much effort, making the Unlimited always better than 2%.

But anyway, the Reserve is most likely not even relevant to the original question, in which case using the Unlimited for just the 3%/5% categories makes sense.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 2, 2022

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Question. I just did a balance transfer for the first time in my life. I'm pretty sure I put my card number in correctly. I transferred from one bank to another, and yesterday the 'to' bank now shows the balance I transferred, but the 'from' bank still also has me owing that amount. Is that a normal thing and it'll properly all be updated soon, or is that an indication that I hosed up? (and, if I hosed up, is that it or can I un-gently caress it up?)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

redreader posted:

Question. I just did a balance transfer for the first time in my life. I'm pretty sure I put my card number in correctly. I transferred from one bank to another, and yesterday the 'to' bank now shows the balance I transferred, but the 'from' bank still also has me owing that amount. Is that a normal thing and it'll properly all be updated soon, or is that an indication that I hosed up? (and, if I hosed up, is that it or can I un-gently caress it up?)

it takes several days for it all the shake out on both ends

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Super-NintendoUser posted:

it takes several days for it all the shake out on both ends

Thanks, phew.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

astral posted:

Don't forget Pay Yourself Back muiltipliers, redeem for apple stuff multipliers, transfer partners that let you redeem for more than a cent per point, etc.

ok thanks, I haven't really used restaurants or travel at all since covid, so the WF is probably better.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I have the Amazon Prime Visa card, they sometimes to targeted 10% promos. This quarter I got the 10% Gas station one, which is just fantastic. Last time it came around I used it to buy GC's for Ebay at a Sheetz and it worked out.

https://www.chase.com/mybonus/ggaamazon1

I haven't seen a 10% restaurant one though.

One of my larger gas station purchases somehow got coded as "grocery" and I missed out on a bunch of cash back. What's their customer service like? Any tips?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Customer service likely won't help you, merchant codes are selected by the merchants themselves.

Safest bet to get gas codes is the fill at non-store related stations and pay at the pump.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Anyone here have experience with the Verizon credit card? I got an email about it a few days ago, it seems...decent? No annual fee for 4% at grocery stores and gas, 3% on dining, etc.

https://www.verizon.com/solutions-and-services/verizon-visa-card

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah, that seems pretty good. It looks like you have to have a Verizon post-paid account to apply though. So 'no annual fee' is arguable depending on how you value your VZW service.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

VorpalBunny posted:

Anyone here have experience with the Verizon credit card? I got an email about it a few days ago, it seems...decent? No annual fee for 4% at grocery stores and gas, 3% on dining, etc.

https://www.verizon.com/solutions-and-services/verizon-visa-card

It’s 4% in like Verizon bucks. But I got one since I’m the payer of a family plan I just pay our phone bill with it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Citi recently redid their entire rewards structure and converted everything to Thank You points across all of their cards.

Does anyone know if the Citi Premier card redeems Thank You points for full value now? They previously did not, but then they did for a while, and I have no clue if it was a temporary thing or permanent change. Their own website doesn't seem to say specifically and just says that the 80,000k Thank You point bonus can be cashed in for "$800 in gift cards."

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-premier-credit-card

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Citi recently redid their entire rewards structure and converted everything to Thank You points across all of their cards.

Does anyone know if the Citi Premier card redeems Thank You points for full value now? They previously did not, but then they did for a while, and I have no clue if it was a temporary thing or permanent change. Their own website doesn't seem to say specifically and just says that the 80,000k Thank You point bonus can be cashed in for "$800 in gift cards."

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-premier-credit-card

If you have a double cash you can link your rewards accounts and just get cash.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I merged my various Citi thank you points into a single account (had to call support to do this, didn't work online) and got the full cash back 1:1 value as well as the 10% points back from the rewards+ for all points redeemed. Citi Rewards+, Custom Cash, and Double Cash merged. Cashback was direct deposited into a non-Citi checking account.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Can I prepay my CC to keep my utilization down? I need to spend a bit of money over my average, but also need my score to stay as high as possible for a couple of applications coming up.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

dpkg chopra posted:

Can I prepay my CC to keep my utilization down? I need to spend a bit of money over my average, but also need my score to stay as high as possible for a couple of applications coming up.

With nearly every credit card provider what gets reported to the credit bureaus and used to calculate your utilization is your statement balance. So you can make an early payment before the statement comes in and keep your utilization low. But be careful doing this, you'll still want to make sure you pay the full statement balance before the due date each month.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I have everything on autopay for full statement.

I already hosed it up I think because I think my AMEX already reported a fairly big amount, but hopefully I can limit the damage.

Thanks!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

dpkg chopra posted:

Yeah I have everything on autopay for full statement.

I already hosed it up I think because I think my AMEX already reported a fairly big amount, but hopefully I can limit the damage.

Thanks!

If you pay it off, I believe some issuers will report the zero balance rather quickly. Couldn't say which ones offhand, though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SamDabbers posted:

They changed it to monthly qualification for the 2.5% rather than quarterly. Average daily balance >= $1000, electronic statements, and at least one deposit per month.

saintonan posted:

Right, but they still give people Tier 1 for the first three months.

pseudanonymous posted:

Which is kind of dumb, they should give you Tier 2 right away then take it away if yo don't keep up the balance, but oh well.

btw side note but I did get Tier 1 rewards (2.5%, the upper tier) for my first month apparently... at least the math seems to add up to 2.53% rewards and the box now says Tier 1.

Somewhat oddly they gave me EXACTLY a round dollar amount... and as mentioned it's 2.53%, so a little extra? Weird. Is there a thing with this where they round it up or down to the dollar? And also there's apparently a $50 minimum to redeem, which I didn't quite reach. whatever, at least it's not a yearly redemption lol.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

one of my cards apparently brought down my score by 50 points because i had spent more than normal. mind you i wasn't being dinged for not paying it, i was being dinged for spending "more than usual" on this card. i calculated the percentage and i had used 15.5% of my credit limit...

but yeah once i "paid" it off, it immediately restored my credit score. took about 4 days for the score to be updated. pretty sure it was transunion. no other credit was dinged.

this poo poo is so dumb.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Not only is the system itself dumb, this is also why you shouldn't hyperfocus on your score. 50 points one direction or the other won't matter unless it's pushing you on the wrong side of a number like 740, and even then only when you're specifically about to go get a loan.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Strong Sauce posted:

one of my cards apparently brought down my score by 50 points because i had spent more than normal. mind you i wasn't being dinged for not paying it, i was being dinged for spending "more than usual" on this card. i calculated the percentage and i had used 15.5% of my credit limit...

but yeah once i "paid" it off, it immediately restored my credit score. took about 4 days for the score to be updated. pretty sure it was transunion. no other credit was dinged.

this poo poo is so dumb.

Once you do this a few times, the hit from increased utilization will go down somewhat, but if that really concerns you, the answer to this is to get more credit cards, because that will increase your total credit pool and that way it'll reduce your utilization even with the same actual dollar amount of spending.

Good on you for paying it off right away, though. The only way to win at credit card rewards is to never ever run a month-to-month balance.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Paul MaudDib posted:

btw side note but I did get Tier 1 rewards (2.5%, the upper tier) for my first month apparently... at least the math seems to add up to 2.53% rewards and the box now says Tier 1.

Somewhat oddly they gave me EXACTLY a round dollar amount... and as mentioned it's 2.53%, so a little extra? Weird. Is there a thing with this where they round it up or down to the dollar? And also there's apparently a $50 minimum to redeem, which I didn't quite reach. whatever, at least it's not a yearly redemption lol.

Yeah, you have it right. You're not getting 2.5% actual cash, you're being awarded "DOLLARS" that you can redeem at a rate of $1 per DOLLAR (minimum 50 as you noted). Near as I can tell they always award an exact number of DOLLARS (never any fractions), so they round up from what 2.5% would give you.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

saintonan posted:

Once you do this a few times, the hit from increased utilization will go down somewhat, but if that really concerns you, the answer to this is to get more credit cards, because that will increase your total credit pool and that way it'll reduce your utilization even with the same actual dollar amount of spending.

Good on you for paying it off right away, though. The only way to win at credit card rewards is to never ever run a month-to-month balance.

Careful, more cards will lower your average age of accounts and increase your inquiries, both of which will be a (probably short-ish-term like a year or so) negative impact.

Increasing your limit(s) on existing cards should have no downsides though (as long as you use credit responsibly).

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I’ve read you can, but can you transfer chase reward points to someone you’re living with if they also have a chase card? I’m thinking about getting a chase sapphire for the bonus, downgrading it and then transferring the points to my gf, but I just want to make sure it’s doable.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Hey guys, just a reminder to please include your userid in the columns. If there's a problem with the links (like they expire) I can PM you, but if your name changes I can't find you and I'll just delete the entry.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm about to open a Citibank account for my wife. She absolutely hates the idea of having multiple accounts in different banks, so I want to also open an Accelerate Savings account for her, which has a high interest rate.

We currently live in GA but will be moving to NY in about a month. The Accelerate Savings account isn't offered in NY.

Will Citi close or convert the account if it detects we changed addresses?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I never trusted Citi, I still don't, with their bullshit thank you points. Just give people straightforward cash back!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I never trusted Citi, I still don't, with their bullshit thank you points. Just give people straightforward cash back!

Glad to see the Custom Cash redeems for cash back at one cent per point.
Not glad, however, at the "almost there!" delays in receiving my card. Not sure who's at fault, the postal service or Citi (or both), but first Citi said my card would arrive by the 16th, then said it was out for delivery today... still nothing.
Been over a week since it shipped, that's all I'm saying!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My Custom Cash seemed to take approximately forever to get here, so it seems to be par for Citi.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Space Fish posted:

Glad to see the Custom Cash redeems for cash back at one cent per point.
Not glad, however, at the "almost there!" delays in receiving my card. Not sure who's at fault, the postal service or Citi (or both), but first Citi said my card would arrive by the 16th, then said it was out for delivery today... still nothing.
Been over a week since it shipped, that's all I'm saying!

With city rewards + linked you’ll get an extra 10% so 5.5 cents back per dollar spent (until they devalue thank you points)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Citi Rewards+ could be interesting in the long run to nab that extra $10-20 of expected value.
Discover It might knock it out of the near-term running as I assemble a redemption automaton made of 5% rewards categories.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I started a thread in C&D to talk specifically about churning since that seems to be at cross purposes to this threads focus on solid all around long-term cards:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017817

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sitting on 190,000 Chase Sapphire rewards points. What's the best way to spend those?

Definitely looking to travel in the next couple of years.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ham Equity posted:

I'm sitting on 190,000 Chase Sapphire rewards points. What's the best way to spend those?

This is just a thing we do, but Hyatt tends to have nice properties in nice places which can be pretty pricey. If you’re getting a $1k room for 30k points, you’re doing pretty well. Availability is also pretty good, which helps if you can’t wait for some random Tuesday frequent Flyer redemption.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Ham Equity posted:

Hyatt will net you 2.8x value if you transfer points over to World of Hyatt. Airline-wise the best value really depends on where you're flying and the airline.

Check out the Pay Yourself Back categories each quarter, good way to get 1.25x value from the points.

Gift card offers on Chase's site net you 1.1x, not amazing but still a boost and could help with buying a gift.

Right now on Amazon there are a number of items offering massive value on Chase point redemption, essentially "use Chase points in this purchase and get 50% off." It's limited to the first 80,000 customers who use the offer, so it could go away at any time. I only know about this one because Amazon had me sweating 50% off a Switch game a couple nights ago.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Ham Equity posted:

Depends where you travel but that's enough for a few round trip tickets and a handful of nights at Hyatt properties if you transfer them out.

Alternatively, if you've got the Reserve, you can wipe out dining purchases at 1.5 cents per point.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Where’s that 2.8x Hyatt number coming from? Super high end properties? High season?

I just was looking at Hyatts in NYC for March and I’d say the value ranged from 1.7x to 2.1x and the 2.1x was at the Park Hyatt for 80k points for a $1700 stay.

Edit: guess that is Nerdwallets estimate and others value them more like 1.7x.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Given that nerdwallet is corrupt as hell these days, I would trust that smaller number.