Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ichabod Tane posted:

Vet or Zealot for me as I'm kind of keen to keep it ranged combat only.

You're not going to be able to pull off ranged combat only. If you don't switch to melee when you get swarmed / surrounded you will be hosed to death immediately because ranged weapons can't block or shove - basically your two most important tools in the middle of a scrum.

At that, zealot is going to have a lot more limited ranged presence because they'll have way less ammo. The other 'ranged' character is going to be the psyker. Those powers have unlimited ammo and all you have to deal with is perils management. You'll still have a Flamer equivalent like the zealot, but you can pop heads by thinking angry at them, shoot lightning, poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also in the beta you can just be grenade veteran which is both lots of fun and very good at keeping hordes and elites down before they even get to melee you.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The class I'd almost certainly enjoy the most is the Psyker, which is why I chose it during the beta. Psyker takes a lot of attention and awareness though. It might be more relaxing to just smash cultists en mass with a thunder hammer. So if I did end up buying into the full release I'd probably make a Zealot first.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

ranged weapons can't block or shove
Or dodge! If the attack animation has started and you try to dodge away, the enemies will just Jojo after you and hit you in the head.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Siivola posted:

Or dodge! If the attack animation has started and you try to dodge away, the enemies will just Jojo after you and hit you in the head.

You Shitpost, but dodging alone isn't a catchall, especially if you're space limited or enemies have snuck around to the flanks or behind you. Blocking in these games works even from enemies attacks behind you.

Also Vermintide enemies literally could and would Jojo after you for realsies. The phantom scoots are supposedly gone this game but I'll believe it when I see it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm entirely sincere. If you are holding a gun, dodging does not work.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

DeathSandwich posted:

If you don't switch to melee when you get swarmed / surrounded you will be hosed to death immediately

Slaanesh faction confirmed?

Orv
May 4, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

You Shitpost, but dodging alone isn't a catchall, especially if you're space limited or enemies have snuck around to the flanks or behind you. Blocking in these games works even from enemies attacks behind you.

Also Vermintide enemies literally could and would Jojo after you for realsies. The phantom scoots are supposedly gone this game but I'll believe it when I see it.

Siivola posted:

I'm entirely sincere. If you are holding a gun, dodging does not work.

Yeah at least for the moment, who knows if it’ll change in three years or whatever, dodging with a ranged weapon out will not dodge melee attacks already incoming. Intentional design.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 15, 2022

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Internet Explorer posted:

I think anyone trying to do ranged only is going to have a bad time, but the Zealot specifically seems to be a more melee focused character.

This is good to know thanks. Once I get my hands on the beta, I can have a more real take. It's just that back 4 blood absolutely sucks rear end in its current state and I need something to fill the PvE shooter gap in my heart lol

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

DeathSandwich posted:

You're not going to be able to pull off ranged combat only. If you don't switch to melee when you get swarmed / surrounded you will be hosed to death immediately because ranged weapons can't block or shove - basically your two most important tools in the middle of a scrum.

At that, zealot is going to have a lot more limited ranged presence because they'll have way less ammo. The other 'ranged' character is going to be the psyker. Those powers have unlimited ammo and all you have to deal with is perils management. You'll still have a Flamer equivalent like the zealot, but you can pop heads by thinking angry at them, shoot lightning, poo poo like that.

I don't mind going to melee where necessary. I just prefer concentrating on ranged --- I think.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My favorite thing in Vermintide 2 is Kruber's pistol/rapier combo where you can middle click infinitely with a lovely little pistol shot. Giving you, potentially, 3 pistols.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've been really enjoying shooting rats in VT2, so I think I'm going to be a huge square and roll a Veteran. I played a Zealot in the beta but honestly by the end I was feeling I was really crutching on her health buffs and learning some awful habits. I was just mashing M1 and completely neglecting the gun, which as we all know is good.

Or Psyker I guess, Sienna's also been fun. Headshotting things with the dinky little conflagration staff fireball never gets old.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ichabod Tane posted:

This is good to know thanks. Once I get my hands on the beta, I can have a more real take. It's just that back 4 blood absolutely sucks rear end in its current state and I need something to fill the PvE shooter gap in my heart lol

You're in for a treat. The 'tide games are absolutely fantastic PvE horde games. They are definitely games designed around juggling range and melee. The Q quick switch is a godsend and the game is really good about switching weapons quickly. It was a little slower than Vermintide in the closed beta, but as far as I heard that was a bug and they were working on making it even quicker. It's not wasted time to swap back and forth.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i was kind of impressed at the apparent class population proportions in the closed beta weekend, i would've thunk everyone and their grandma would want to be head exploding space wizards but seemed to be the least picked class, if it wasn't the zealot, a screaming angry berserker with a big axe. everyone just wanted to be shootgun soldierguy

edit: or an ogryn but that makes sense everyone loves a giant bashy boy

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 15, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Maybe an unpopular thought but I hope they add playable xenos eventually. There's been a glut of 40k shooters in recent years (some better than others) and it's finally reached the point where I can say, "I'm getting just a little tired of standard Imperial weapons."

What I'm saying is: I want to finally use a Deathspinner. :unsmigghh:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Siivola posted:

I've been really enjoying shooting rats in VT2, so I think I'm going to be a huge square and roll a Veteran. I played a Zealot in the beta but honestly by the end I was feeling I was really crutching on her health buffs and learning some awful habits. I was just mashing M1 and completely neglecting the gun, which as we all know is good.

Or Psyker I guess, Sienna's also been fun. Headshotting things with the dinky little conflagration staff fireball never gets old.

Counterpoint, what if you play as a large lad that loves the Emp-rah and field rations and literally giggles when he gets to five finger slap heretics over and over. What if he also got a grenade launcher or a burst fire shotgun that is affixed with a bayonet the size of your torso?

There is only one correct answer, and that correct answer can't read.

Cowcaster posted:

i was kind of impressed at the apparent class population proportions in the closed beta weekend, i would've thunk everyone and their grandma would want to be head exploding space wizards but seemed to be the least picked class, if it wasn't the zealot, a screaming angry berserker with a big axe. everyone just wanted to be shootgun soldierguy

In Vermintide, Sienna was the least played character by a pretty significant degree. She was the weirdest mechanically and her weapons take a while to get use to because of the generally slow projectile speed and odd secondaries. It doesn't surprise me that the psyker has probably the least representation, especially when the beta only has one force staff available.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 15, 2022

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I can't wait to remake Handsome Larry, the prettiest Ogryn with a dashing haircut and beguiling smile right out of the most popular Korean boy bands, and gracelessly smash everything to paste again.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Maybe an unpopular thought but I hope they add playable xenos eventually. There's been a glut of 40k shooters in recent years (some better than others) and it's finally reached the point where I can say, "I'm getting just a little tired of standard Imperial weapons."

What I'm saying is: I want to finally use a Deathspinner. :unsmigghh:

Should have played Eternal Crusade!

Should not have played Eternal Crusade!

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Cowcaster posted:

everyone just wanted to be shootgun soldierguy
Is this really that surprising? See also the Mass Effect series, where everyone picked Soldier / default male Shephard when the Vanguard is right there

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

John Shootymans

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

jokes posted:

My favorite thing in Vermintide 2 is Kruber's pistol/rapier combo where you can middle click infinitely with a lovely little pistol shot. Giving you, potentially, 3 pistols.

I think you are referring to saltzpyre and funnily enough that pistol is very handy as you can fire with it while blocking with the rapier.

Also gets guaranteed crits if you are a Bounty Hunter as its a ranged weapon making it handy for killing berserkers and plague monks. Also triggers swift slaying as well.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Exodee posted:

Is this really that surprising? See also the Mass Effect series, where everyone picked Soldier / default male Shephard when the Vanguard is right there

i mean i guess not surprising, but kind of disappointing

Orv
May 4, 2011
I’ve been playing Doomguy for 29 years it would be silly to stop now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Speaking of Ogryn, are there enough weapon options for that class to be added as future content? Well, I guess you could just give him heavy versions of a bunch of other guns, eg bolters and plasma cannons

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Speaking of Ogryn, are there enough weapon options for that class to be added as future content? Well, I guess you could just give him heavy versions of a bunch of other guns, eg bolters and plasma cannons

They seem to have most of the big Ogryn specific stuff in there to start, Gun Lugger (or whatever they call it) will likely be the “weapon but Big” version of the class with lascannons et al.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Give me a tank gun that I can swing around. Finding out more about the feel of Ogryn weapons is one of the things I'm most excited about. Really looking forward to some sort of two-handed blunt weapon. The shield seems like it blocks such a huge portion of your view. Can't see how it's going to be enjoyable to use, but blocking all that ranged fire is certainly going to be significant.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mordja posted:

As mentioned, gun luggers are going to have the sorts of weapons that normally require a team of regular troops to man (so like lascannons, heavy bolters, multi-meltas, the sort of stuff that will demolish tanks).

Table top have ogryn troops that use dual power claws like they are a janky dumb terminator. We might get more weapon variants including like a regular Warhammer. Probably more scavenged weapons like the crusher that has the concrete block on the end of a rebar stick.

Give me a tank gun that I can swing around. Finding out more about the feel of Ogryn weapons is one of the things I'm most excited about. Really looking forward to some sort of two-handed blunt weapon. The shield seems like it blocks such a huge portion of your view. Can't see how it's going to be enjoyable to use, but blocking all that ranged fire is certainly going to be significant.

The way the gunplay plays a more prominent role in this compared to Vermintide makes me think the shield will be hugely important on higher difficulties, both in the protecting yourself aspect, but also in the "mobile cover for your allies" aspect. I'm with you insofar as I'm not sure I like how much space on the screen it takes up compared to the Vermintide shields though.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 15, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I'm very hype to use the shields actually, things taking up view in exchange for durability was super fun in ready or not

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020
Is the pre-release beta going to have a character wipe at launch? Or will we keep our progress?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mothmansplainer posted:

Is the pre-release beta going to have a character wipe at launch? Or will we keep our progress?

The current and likely final official word is “We won’t wipe it if we don’t have to.”

The further out they get without a wipe the less likely it is so if you’re worried about losing progress maybe wait a few days to play.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

dogstile posted:

I'm very hype to use the shields actually, things taking up view in exchange for durability was super fun in ready or not

Five Nights at Freddy's Warhammer 40k edition. If you can't see them, they're not there.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Now I'm picturing an Ogryn playing Peek-A-Boo with baddies using his shield, except he's the one who doesn't realize that they don't actually disappear.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mothmansplainer posted:

*Probably* no wipe, though I might expect at least one character rollback during the beta if they find a showstopping glitch like an item dupe. Or level / geometry exploits to zip through money/exp.

Edit ^^^ Peek-a-boom with a grenade fist.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Now I'm picturing an Ogryn playing Peek-A-Boo with baddies using his shield, except he's the one who doesn't realize that they don't actually disappear.

A version of this that actually makes people disappear sounds like some kind of Ork super weapon

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

There's plenty of heavy weapons and 40k is a big enough setting that they can have unlimited weird variants without being lore inconsistent. Very excited to see what a man portable las cannon shoots like

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Exodee posted:

TBF, Mass Effect kind of handled non-Soldier classes badly when it came to enticing casual players. The cool powers didn't do much against shields or barriers, and you basically had to play a weak version of Gun Man until you could level up to do the fun stuff. Even then, you'd run into enemy types/groups that you couldn't do the fun stuff against. VT2 has its funky subclasses locked behind a level grind, so you can sort of start out with a leg-up in terms of unlocked talents when you can finally choose to play those subclasses.

There's also a social aspect to getting people interested in trying out builds in VT. When I play Vermintide, I can see other players doing crazy stuff with different classes, which would make me want to do crazy stuff with classes too. During the free giveaway, I ran into a newer player streaming the game who saw me melt a Chaos Spawn in a few seconds as Shade, and asked me how players did that sort of thing. So I jumped on voice chat and explained Shade builds and gave him the rundown of subclasses that Saqr has in the OP and how you could maximize them while also giving him tips on how to maximize the Slayer build he was trying and failing to run. You can't really get that in a singleplayer game unless you're going out of your way to find videos/guides instead of just picking the powerful Gun Man in Mass Effect or whatever.

Can't really get enough video content of this game. It's impressive what Fatshark can do with a budget.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 15, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I haven't played the latter but I am between Zealot and Ogryn. I liked what I played of the former, but it lacked a certain something. Maybe I will reevaluate that in a few days.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If what they were saying about high level gear turns out to be true then all the classes will probably start feeling pretty different, even a zealot with the same talents as another zealot, depending on the gear they have equipped.

They said they wanted to have more builds come out of gear choices and to be able to really push in specific directions with it so I wouldn't be surprised if there's way more of the very specific powerful perks you got on top level gear in vermintide that were somewhat equivalent in power to talents.

Obviously that could all be horseshit of course but remains to be seen, I'm thinking zealot or sharpshooter right now, will probably commit to either of those for the initial playthrough with my friends when/if we all get the game and then we'll start to branch out once we've played a fair amount of our initial choice. At least one change with the generic characters is we could all play the same class if we so choose.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Have they announced what time early access goes live Thursday? I want to see how much time I have for errands before the rest of my free time vanishes for the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Finally ready for Darktide:

It's not a tough game to get the achievements for, but Norscannihilation was the worst. Not because of challenge, but every time I'd get to Thanquol, he'd get stuck in a wall and the mission would be uncompletable. I'd try once a year or so with the same results every time.