Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Didn’t bases have fast food

I mean point stands but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Big bases, yes, otherwise it was dfac mystery cans and mres.

I remember a pizza hut and burger king on Anaconda.

E: and a Subway in the theater.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
From what I remember, we had a dfac for awhile, but once we started closing fobs down we just got mres.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The tomato soup that my FOB's DFAC had is unmatched to this day, it was perfect for that coldass Afghan winter with no heaters. Wish I could figure out which company made it, Sodexo maybe? I'm not sure who had the food contracts in 2011.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
You know what they call a Pizza Hut in Camp Fox?

They don't call it a Pizza Hut?

Naw man, they got hooches over there man, they don't know what a hut is.

So what do they call them?

A Pizza Inn.

What do they call a Whopper?

I don't know. The line for the trailer was too long.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 15, 2022

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Eason the Fifth posted:

You know what they call a Pizza Hut in Camp Fox?

They don't call it a Pizza Hut?

Naw man, they got hooches over there man, they don't know what a hut is.

So what do they call them?

A Pizza Inn.

What do they call a Whopper?

I don't know. The line for the trailer was too long.

I didn't know I needed this post until now.

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I saw a video of Zelensky in Kherson surrounded by dudes with M4/M16 platforms. Pretty sure I saw a Bren 805 in another video recently, too, which seemed odd in the moment, but is probably just dudes using what they can get, maybe with some choice of preference by now.

There are a bunch of guns floating around in Ukraine. And if those special ops troops were trained and equipped by americans or brits somehow, chances are they're taking what they trained with, which is probably M4/M16 platforms. Brits just wrapped up training a batch of troops recently, it's not unlikely they didn't train some special forces types.

And we don't know when that video was shot. Could have been yesterday, could have been last week. If it's real, good chance it's a play that "the boogeymen are already there" vibes for russians to feel, and if it's not, it's a reasonable distraction effort anyhow.

I'll see if I can find the video I watched with the Bren. Probably an aggregator video like Warthog Defense puts up, maybe one from The Sun, which I gotta say, is pretty weird watching war videos on a tabloid's youtube channel, but they have some interesting footage.

The US, Canada and the UK had military partnerships with the Ukrainians for years now. I will not be shocked at all if the had a few special warfare operators training Ukrainians. We also have forward-stationed units out in Europe so the opportunities have been endless in terms of preparing the Ukrainians for this war.

OP Unifier is just one of them to call one off the cuff, but there's got to be tons more known and obviously kept not known to the public eye.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

How do you reckon it works out having both AK series and AR series weapons in circulation? Is it not a logistics pain in the arse to have to deal with two different kinds of ammo?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Well, AKs already have different ammo depending on the model. 47s get 7.62x39 and 74s get 5.45x39.

I'm sure no one is complaining about nato countries handing out M4s, M16s and pallets of 5.56, and they can feed 5.56 to SAWs, too. One extra cartridge isn't a big deal if you're limiting use to certain regions/troops.

It's not like russians are taking their AKs to hell with them, either.

Maybe metaphorically.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
It's not like the early parts of the American Civil War where you'd frequently see three different calibers for four different weapons

in the same company

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I saw a video of Zelensky in Kherson surrounded by dudes with M4/M16 platforms. Pretty sure I saw a Bren 805 in another video recently, too, which seemed odd in the moment, but is probably just dudes using what they can get, maybe with some choice of preference by now.

That made me wonder when was the last time a US President intentionally exposed himself to danger in a warzone without an expectation of safety? Maybe Lincoln in 1864 during the Battle of Fort Stevens?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Depends on your definition of exposing themselves to danger.

McNally posted:

It's not like the early parts of the American Civil War where you'd frequently see three different calibers for four different weapons

in the same company

That was more a caliber issue than cartridge though.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Depends on your definition of exposing themselves to danger.

That was more a caliber issue than cartridge though.

Each caliber had its own cartridge.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Weren't most civil war rifles black powder?

I know a few cartridge rounds were around at the time, but I thought that was limited mostly to revolvers, and most schmucks were stuffing ball and wad.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That made me wonder when was the last time a US President intentionally exposed himself to danger in a warzone without an expectation of safety? Maybe Lincoln in 1864 during the Battle of Fort Stevens?

George Bush got a shoe thrown at him

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Joke Miriam posted:

George Bush got a shoe thrown at him

And a grenade, but that was in Georgia, not Iraq. It was a political visit, not dropping in on a theater for gladhanding troops.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

And a grenade, but that was in Georgia, not Iraq. It was a political visit, not dropping in on a theater for gladhanding troops.

Georgia in Eastern Europe, or Georgia in the southern US?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Wasn't a live torpedo launched at a ship carrying FDR (by another US Navy ship)?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hyperlynx posted:

How do you reckon it works out having both AK series and AR series weapons in circulation? Is it not a logistics pain in the arse to have to deal with two different kinds of ammo?

Ukraine has AR pattern rifles chambered in soviet calibers like the WAC-47 so some of the fielded AR you see in the videos might not be using nato calibers.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I saw one interviewer ask someone from Ukrainian assault forces who had been fighting since early in the war whether they had any preference for 5.56 or 5.45 or 7.62. Dude's answer was "I prefer whichever there's the most ammo for"

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

McNally posted:

in the same company

The great thing about muzzleloaders is with sufficient wadding anything small enough to fit in the bore becomes ammunition!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Quackles posted:

Georgia in Eastern Europe, or Georgia in the southern US?

Country, not state.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I mean Lincoln was shot by the people currently occupying the United States

Fearless posted:

The great thing about muzzleloaders is with sufficient wadding anything small enough to fit in the bore becomes ammunition!

"A penny for your thoughts"
*loads coin into muzzle*
*shoots into dude's head*

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Im sure Clinton intentionally exposed himself.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

"A penny for your thoughts"

Lincoln shoots back!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Hillary dodged sniper fire in Bosnia

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Weren't most civil war rifles black powder?

I know a few cartridge rounds were around at the time, but I thought that was limited mostly to revolvers, and most schmucks were stuffing ball and wad.

Before metallic cartridges, you had paper cartridges. In the US Civil War soldiers were issued boxes of pre-assembled paper cartridges with the proper powder load and ball for their musket. If your company had a mix of calibers you'd still have to make sure you got the right cartridges for your gun; folks weren't measuring out powder from a horn.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GD_American posted:

Hillary dodged sniper fire in Bosnia

I have bad news about the 2016 election

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

some english dude tried to grab a gun from secret service or a cop or something

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The dragons teeth Russia setup are not having the intended affects on tanks

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That certainly sounds like an effect. Don't know if it kicked off a tread?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Probably not.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, they are supposed to stop the tank altogether, and other than a bumpy ride it looks fine.

Hopefully there will be a follow up.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
That's not to say that it's unreasonable to ask if it threw a track. Tracks can be like horses sometimes. Poor left track, thought of a butterfly and thrown.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Fearless posted:

Not with rifles!

glynnenstein posted:

Before metallic cartridges, you had paper cartridges. In the US Civil War soldiers were issued boxes of pre-assembled paper cartridges with the proper powder load and ball for their musket. If your company had a mix of calibers you'd still have to make sure you got the right cartridges for your gun; folks weren't measuring out powder from a horn.

Yeah, this. Different guns would have a different powder charge and military arms didn't rely on powder horns. Didn't even issue 'em.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, they are supposed to stop the tank altogether, and other than a bumpy ride it looks fine.

Hopefully there will be a follow up.

Not really. Yes in a perfect world it stops the tank. But if you've got people there with pre registered artillery and ATGMs, slowing them down while they navigate through them is just as good.

Of course russians hosed that up.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

CainFortea posted:

Not really. Yes in a perfect world it stops the tank. But if you've got people there with pre registered artillery and ATGMs, slowing them down while they navigate through them is just as good.

Of course russians hosed that up.

In russia's defence, everyone who knows how to shoot thr atgms and artillery are all dead.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That noise sounds like the triangle bouncing around underneath the tank. Broken tracks can be surprisingly noiseless, but you'd see a wild careening off course instead of a swerve. And thrown tracks... that didn't really sound like a thrown track.

Would've liked a bit higher quality though, so I could be wrong.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I''d love to see what quality concrete/cement these are being made out of. same with the porta-bunkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1592514734846537729?s=46&t=x-Cy1uc5Ss6-YWoQYvUzoA