Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

My local Micro Center has a deal for a 2TB Inland QN322 for $80. That feels really good to me as a second m.2 to complement my boot, and to replace my old 2TB HDD. Is this a dumb idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

simcole posted:

Specifically, I need something that can use DDR 5 and M2 slots.

I currently have a case that we can up cycle. I also probably have a OK power supply that 600 W although I’m not sure it has all the right pin connectors on it. I do have a 500 gig SSD laying around. That’s SATa 3, but it would work for now. I think it’s a crucial MX 500.

What series motherboard and processor should I be looking for and what latency and speed ram? I will have to buy a used video card off eBay to save even more money. My budget total all in is about $500. I already have a monitor keyboard and mouse he can use.

I do not live near a Microcenter either. Black Friday is coming up so I guess I could wait for online deals with shipping possibly if I know what I’m looking out for.

Everything has M.2 slots at the moment. Given your use case and budget I'd say you don't need DDR5 at all, you won't be hobbling a system like this by going DDR4 - better to put your money into the GPU. Also, the reasons why you like Intel either aren't true anymore (single thread performance) or relevant for your kid, I would assume. You can get a Ryzen 5500, motherboard, 16GB of decent RAM and 6600XT for just under $500, for example. The 6600xt is an extremely capable 1080p GPU.

edit: I tried to make a bare minimum DDR5 build with the same budget. This would be a considerably slower machine for gaming or anything multithreaded.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 13, 2022

sdasdas
Dec 29, 2012
Hey all, I'm looking to upgrade my memory from 16GB to 32GB. Currently I have this: https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232731. I thought I would simply buy another 16GB kit and have four 8GB sticks instead of two, however doing research it sounds like memory is a lot more complicated than I thought! I use my computer for web surfing, software development, and gaming (including VR) at 4K 60Hz. What has me reconsidering is the CAS Latency of my current memory, and people online saying to avoid having four dual-channel sticks (vs two 16GB dual-channel).

Is the CAS Latency / Timing really important? I'm using XMP and my memory is running at 20-20-20-40 according to CPU-Z. Googling gives me very mixed results, with some saying it makes a ~1-2% difference while others saying it's as important as the clock speed. My current memory isn't on the QVL for my motherboard (not sure how significant that is), the only 32GB RAM kits that have CL16 or lower are these two, which are about $100 more than what I have:
https://www.newegg.ca/team-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820331593?Item=N82E16820331593
https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232861

I'm just wondering how much of this is to eek out the last few % of performance for enthusiasts vs noticeable gains.

CPU: 5600X
Motherboard: B550-F https://www.newegg.ca/asus-rog-strix-b550-f-gaming/p/N82E16813119312
GPU: 3070Ti

sdasdas fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 13, 2022

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The SN570 has been recommended to me and is mentioned as a standard pick in the OP, but I see that for 2TB drives the Samsung 970 Evo Plus is currently available at the exact same $160 (and the Samsung has a DRAM cache which I guess is a good feature??)

The Samsung seems like a better option at this price right? It's just not worth the usual ~$200?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Scoss posted:

The SN570 has been recommended to me and is mentioned as a standard pick in the OP, but I see that for 2TB drives the Samsung 970 Evo Plus is currently available at the exact same $160 (and the Samsung has a DRAM cache which I guess is a good feature??)

The Samsung seems like a better option at this price right? It's just not worth the usual ~$200?

Yes. If Samsung is the same price get the Samsung. It’s the better drive just almost never worth the extra 50% it costs.

simcole posted:

:words:

Specifically, I need something that can use DDR 5 and M2 slots.

I currently have a case that we can up cycle. I also probably have a OK power supply that 600 W although I’m not sure it has all the right pin connectors on it. I do have a 500 gig SSD laying around. That’s SATa 3, but it would work for now. I think it’s a crucial MX 500.

What series motherboard and processor should I be looking for and what latency and speed ram? I will have to buy a used video card off eBay to save even more money. My budget total all in is about $500. I already have a monitor keyboard and mouse he can use.

I do not live near a Microcenter either. Black Friday is coming up so I guess I could wait for online deals with shipping possibly if I know what I’m looking out for.

Yo sorry that does suck. However, I’m gonna be blunt and to the point and pretend that area of the post doesn’t exist, because you’re not gonna get real advice clouded by that.

$500 is not a possible gaming PC budget on DDR5. $500 won’t even get you a motherboard and CPU right now, or for the foreseeable future.

Does your $500 budget need to include a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and mousepad?

Since you are up cycling your case, PSU, and SSD, $500 is absolutely possible if you do this right.

PSU will 100% be fine. While the SSD isn’t ideal, it’s 100% acceptable, and one of the easiest components to upgrade later when you have the extra cash. A fancy NVME isn’t where your dollars should go on a $500 build. Case will be fine as well unless it’s weird.

I highly recommend you go for used parts for nearly everything.

Hop on local craigslist/facebook marketplace and look for 3600x or 5600x or 12400 CPUs. Any 3xxx AMD or above will be fine if the price is right. If there is nothing at all, you should be able to get a 5600x + motherboard + 16GB of DDR4 ram for ~ $300-$320.

Here’s a sample quick idea of how this is achievable

pre:
CPU: 5600x @$150
Motherboard: AM4 @$130
Ram 2x 8gb @ $65
Case: free, reuse
PSU: free, reuse
Boot drive: free, use your ssd
GPU: Best used GPU you can find at $200
If you buy used, the CPU, ram, and motherboard will be cheaper, allowing you to dump more into the GPU which is all that matters.

The computer will be significantly worse if you do not buy used, and all of the used components are fine. The stuff you want to avoid used (PSU and SSD) you already have.

The best places to buy used will be
Next door/offer up
Craigs list
Facebook marketplace
SA Mart
R/hardware swap

If you find something used, post it here and we’ll tell you if it’s a reasonable deal so you can jump on it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

roomtwofifteen posted:

My local Micro Center has a deal for a 2TB Inland QN322 for $80. That feels really good to me as a second m.2 to complement my boot, and to replace my old 2TB HDD. Is this a dumb idea

Nope it’s a great deal and plan if they still have it. Mines been sold out for a while.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

ughhhh posted:

Turns out the Asrock z690 itx only allows 150w for the cpu at P1/P2 in the bios and cant be changed. On the other hand im seeing (hardware canuks video on it) that there is really no difference in allowing the i5-13600k to go above 136w so i think i should be fine. In my current build with a 8600k running at 5ghz oc i havent hit any thermal limits with the way my case is arranged (the mobo has no heat sinks etc) .

Eitherway here is my upgrade build so far using parts i have been getting during sales etc getting ready for a future GPU upgrade and going for the intel 13th gen. Sticking with the SFF build, but the case is slightly larger than most sff cases:

What country are you in? USA
Do you live near Microcenter? yes
What are you using the system for? Gaming mainly (lots of Total war, victoria 3 etc), GIMP, video editing
What's your budget? Just shopping for deals at the momment sub 200$ at a time. Got the WD nvme at 79$, the EVGA psu for 100$ and the mobo has been cheap at 149$
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p 100hz

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($300.00 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($98.48 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li TU150 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($119.99 @ Adorama)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GM 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($179.99 @ Amazon)

the ram is from my old build and will be using the 2070 super i have for the time being. Im going to be putting the old 3.5 HDD in my NAS so its out of the way and taking the NVME and SSD from the old build.

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($90.42 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($98.48 @ Amazon)

of the 3 im assuming i should use the WD nvme as the boot drive correct?
power limit of 150W is barely going to matter for the 13600K yeah, but the power draw of the 13600K is well above the 8600K which is why worrying about VRM thermals is an actual consideration there - 150W is a lot (and it can draw more without that board's limit). you should use the NVMe drive for your boot drive yeah.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER

MarcusSA posted:

First off sorry that happened that’s quite poo poo.

Second It might be pretty hard to get something with ddr 5 for $500 I think. I feel like you’d be looking more in the 600 ish range unless there’s a killer deal on BF.

It’s bad and without getting into it… thank you. Ok what’s my option for a ddr4

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

simcole posted:

It’s bad and without getting into it… thank you. Ok what’s my option for a ddr4

See my reply

Schwann
Oct 28, 2006
Do you live near Microcenter? No
What are you using the system for? 32" 4k Gaming and Twitch streaming. Editing stream VOD and uploading to YouTube.
What's your budget? ~$2500 for PC.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 144Hz 2160P UHD KVM, 3840 x 2160 4K SS IPS Display, 1ms (MPRT) Response Time. I split my time between strategy games EU4/Vic3 and RPGs like God of War, Cyberpunk 2077. I would like to enjoy max settings for a few years of the next gaming titles, if possible?

My PC died during the pandemic. With the absurdly high prices, I have been without for a rig for a couple years. I will probably not build another system for 5-7 years. My previous builds have been AMD graphics cards. I thought about trying Nvidia this time around and testing out "ray tracing" feature.

I have a 27" SAMSUNG LS27A800UJNXGO and 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M. Looking to add GIGABYTE M32U-AE gaming monitor. Open to suggestions if you think a different monitor is a better fit for 3080. I know this is not the place to ask about monitors though.

I typically share the same monitors between my job (software engineering) and gaming rig. I have separate machines for work and gaming. My current two monitors have been fine for work, so it is not essential the third monitor be a "good fit" for work and gaming.

Looking for a quiet system. Let me know what you think.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($358.91 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($199.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Western Digital Green SN350 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($138.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X PLUS GeForce RTX 3080 12GB LHR 12 GB Video Card ($789.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($110.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 - V2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($149.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $2158.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-13 23:26 EST-0500

Questions:
  • Do I need to buy extra fans?
  • Is the case large enough to fit the components?
  • PSU adequate?
  • From what I can tell, the motherboard can interface with case front panel?
  • Is DDR5 worth if it I have the budget? Included for now.
  • Do you think this could run my two current monitors + 3rd gaming monitor? Happy to use Gaming Monitor + LS27A800UJNXGO, if not.

Schwann fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 14, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Right off the bat you buy your windows 11 key from that dude in the SA mart for $15 instantly knocking off $130 lol

Also replace that 12th gen processor with the 13th gen one for roughly the same price.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think you would be better served by a WD SN550 or SN770 for the main drive, or one of the other drives mentioned in earlier posts in this thread that I don't have at ready recall. The one you picked is slower than a Blue SN550, and if you are going big then considering a gen 4 drive would make sense, which would be the SN770.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
That SSD isn't great for a boot drive. Consider either a 2TB WD SN570 (~$157), or a 1TB SN570 ($79) as a boot drive with a 1TB Intel 670p ($70) or similar as a program/data drive.

And yes, that case has standard HDaudio + power/reset + USB3.0 connections that will work fine with the motherboard.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

lih posted:

power limit of 150W is barely going to matter for the 13600K yeah, but the power draw of the 13600K is well above the 8600K which is why worrying about VRM thermals is an actual consideration there - 150W is a lot (and it can draw more without that board's limit). you should use the NVMe drive for your boot drive yeah.

The only other option (unless I chose to go ddr5 and pay another 100$ more) is the gigabyte z690 ultra lite board which has a heatsinks and better vrms, but has pcie 3.0 which I assume would be a bit of the problem if I intend to go up to the 40xx or future gpus.

Gonna try out the ASRock board and see how it is for now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Schwann posted:

What are you using the system for? 32" 4k Gaming and Twitch streaming. Editing stream VOD and uploading to YouTube.
What's your budget? ~$2500 for PC.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 144Hz 2160P UHD KVM, 3840 x 2160 4K SS IPS Display, 1ms (MPRT) Response Time. I split my time between strategy games EU4/Vic3 and RPGs like God of War, Cyberpunk 2077. I would like to enjoy max settings for a few years of the next gaming titles, if possible?

My PC died during the pandemic. With the absurdly high prices, I have been without for a rig for a couple years. I will probably not build another system for 5-7 years. My previous builds have been AMD graphics cards. I thought about trying Nvidia this time around and testing out "ray tracing" feature.

I have a 27" SAMSUNG LS27A800UJNXGO and 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M. Looking to add GIGABYTE M32U-AE gaming monitor. Open to suggestions if you think a different monitor is a better fit for 3080. I know this is not the place to ask about monitors though.

I typically share the same monitors between my job (software engineering) and gaming rig. I have separate machines for work and gaming. My current two monitors have been fine for work, so it is not essential the third monitor be a "good fit" for work and gaming.

Looking for a quiet system. Let me know what you think.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($358.91 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($199.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Western Digital Green SN350 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($138.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X PLUS GeForce RTX 3080 12GB LHR 12 GB Video Card ($789.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($110.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 - V2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($149.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $2158.78
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-13 23:26 EST-0500

Questions:
  • Do I need to buy extra fans?
  • Is the case large enough to fit the components?
  • PSU adequate?
  • From what I can tell, the motherboard can interface with case front panel?
  • Is DDR5 worth if it I have the budget? Included for now.
  • Do you think this could run my two current monitors + 3rd gaming monitor? Happy to use Gaming Monitor + LS27A800UJNXGO, if not.

The 3080 can do 4K just fine for now, but I think that if you don't plan on upgrading for a long time, going with a solid 1440p monitor would likely be a safer bet. Stuff like DLSS will help the current gen feel relevant at 4K for longer, but 1440p is the way to go to ensure maximum longevity. You'll be able to get a nice high-frame-rate experience out of it too, which is much harder at 4K with the 3080.

The Meshify C is small and only ones with one or two fans. The Meshify 2 Compact is a little bit bigger so it can fit more components and comes with three fans, so you don't necessarily have to add more. I'd just go with that instead.

That PSU is just fine and seems to have decent reviews.

Cases with USB ports connect those ports to the motherboard via on-board USB headers. Most motherboards will have a few for USB-A and typically at least one C (though not all motherboards have type C headers).

DDR5 can be worth it, but I'd probably recommend going with the somewhat cheaper DDR5-6000 to save $40 - $50. Something like this kit. Especially since I'm pretty sure you'll be able to just up the voltage a little and set the clock speed to 6400 on that kit anyway, if you really want to dip your toes into the world of manual memory overclocking (this can be a pain in the rear end though)

And yes, basically any modern GPU can drive three monitors at high resolutions, even low-end ones. There's no problem with that.

My only other suggestion would be to consider a 13600K over the 12700K. It's cheaper right now and faster for gaming.

Bathysphere
Jan 21, 2010
My last build was back in early 2016 and I haven't upgraded it since and I'm starting to run into issues these days with games so I thought I might as well just go for a full re-build. Included in the new build is a 4 TB WD Black HDD which I already own which is in my current build, I'm a bit of a hoarder and so I need more storage space. I plan on running a dual monitor setup using the new monitor with my current BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P. I kinda just wanted to sort of double check the build to see if everything makes sense and there wasn't some issue I wasn't aware of. I know that there was an issue with having dual monitor 144Hz + 60Hz and I was wondering if that would happen here as well since the Acer Nitro is 170Hz. I'm also not the type to just upgrade parts every now and then, which is some small justification for the price. Any feedback would be really appreciated this stuff is fairly confusing for me.

What country are you in? New Zealand
What are you using the system for? Gaming (Total War, Victoria 3, Cyberpunk, Age of Empires 4)
What's your budget? 4.5k NZD
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p 144hz

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($635.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($199.00 @ Computer Lounge)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B660M-A WIFI D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($309.00 @ Playtech)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($260.85 @ Newegg New Zealand)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($165.63 @ Paradigm PCs)
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK 4 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($314.67 @ Aquila Technology)
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 8 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($359.00 @ Computer Lounge)
Video Card: Asus ROG STRIX GAMING OC V2 GeForce RTX 3080 10GB LHR 10 GB Video Card ($1499.00 @ Computer Lounge)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($329.00 @ Computer Lounge)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($165.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Monitor: Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz Monitor
Total: $4236.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-14 22:27 NZDT+1300

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

lih posted:

what is your current monitor? i'd look at something like this at that price point:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (£138.99 @ Technextday)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£24.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£121.64 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Kingston FURY Renegade 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£110.35 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£72.71 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Video Card (£369.00 @ Nvidia)
Case: Cooler Master TD300 Mesh MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£84.93 @ Box Limited)
Power Supply: Corsair TX650M Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£45.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £967.98

would be excellent at 1080p or reasonable at 1440p. if you're sticking to 1080p with no plans to upgrade beyond that, it'd be reasonable to save a bit by going down to a 6600XT/6650XT or 6600 with the tradeoff of poor raytracing performance.

went for a mATX case since you wanted something compact - Pop Air Mini is another reasonable option. if you're fine with another mid tower (around the same size as your old case or maybe slightly bigger) you could go for the Phanteks P300A with three added fans , G360A or P400A, or Lian Li Lancool 215 as very good options around that price too

Thank you for this! Much appreciated. My current monitor is an ancient LG Flatron but even if/when i upgrade going beyond 1080p isn't really a priority for me.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Owlkill posted:

Thank you for this! Much appreciated. My current monitor is an ancient LG Flatron but even if/when i upgrade going beyond 1080p isn't really a priority for me.

in that case i'd really try to upgrade to a 1080p 144Hz monitor (AOC24G2SP is a great option) at least as VRR makes a huge difference, and save on the GPU as the 3060 Ti is pointless overkill if you don't even have a 144Hz monitor. the 3060 Ti FE is out of stock again anyway and it's £100 more if you can't get that

i'd recommend just getting the 6600, which is cheap enough that you could fit a 144 Hz monitor into your budget too. you're not going to notice a difference between the 6600 and anything more powerful with your current monitor (and the 6700 is only a tiny bit more than the 6600XT and 6650XT, making those redundant), but you will notice a monitor upgrade.

lih fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 14, 2022

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights
Looking for a GPU recommendation to pair with my new build (i7-13700K, ROG STRIX Z690-F, 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32, MSI 1000w PCIE5 PSU).

I'm awaiting the arrival of the PSU which will be another week so the 4080 will have dropped (assuming I could source one). I currently have a 2080 which I can port over but I'm considering selling my old rig as a complete build for the Xmas market so would rather pair a new GPU with the build.

I game on on a 27" 2560x1440 @ 165MHz (Acer Predator XB271HUA) and have two 24" 1920 x 1200 @ 60Mhz (Dell U2412M) monitors flanking it for work purposes (although I'd happily use all three for the right game). I mainly play FPSs and Civ6 (looking forward to Starfield, Homeworld 3, Witcher 3 graphics update, Company of Heroes 3, Crysis 4, System Shock).

Budget isn't a massive issue so I could get my 4090 on (assuming I can find one) but I wonder whether a 4080 will serve my 1440p monitor just as well until the 5xxx or 6xxx gen drops.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bouchehog posted:

Looking for a GPU recommendation to pair with my new build (i7-13700K, ROG STRIX Z690-F, 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32, MSI 1000w PCIE5 PSU).

I'm awaiting the arrival of the PSU which will be another week so the 4080 will have dropped (assuming I could source one). I currently have a 2080 which I can port over but I'm considering selling my old rig as a complete build for the Xmas market so would rather pair a new GPU with the build.

I game on on a 27" 2560x1440 @ 165MHz (Acer Predator XB271HUA) and have two 24" 1920 x 1200 @ 60Mhz (Dell U2412M) monitors flanking it for work purposes (although I'd happily use all three for the right game). I mainly play FPSs and Civ6 (looking forward to Starfield, Homeworld 3, Witcher 3 graphics update, Company of Heroes 3, Crysis 4, System Shock).

Budget isn't a massive issue so I could get my 4090 on (assuming I can find one) but I wonder whether a 4080 will serve my 1440p monitor just as well until the 5xxx or 6xxx gen drops.

I've said this before, but the 4090 is huge overkill for 1440p, and you will end up either CPU or refresh-rate bottlenecked a lot even with a 13700K. The 4090 was really made for 4K, and the 4080 will still be able to max out your monitor's refresh rate in a lot of games. So while I hate the price for the card, I think the 4080 makes more sense than the 4090 in your case. Look up the time of release in your country and you'll probably be able to get one by F5ing the major online retailers.

The actual sensible 1440p option will likely be the 4070 (or 4070 Ti) again, but that entirely depends on what Nvidia prices them at.

edit: 4080 reviews may be coming tomorrow (the 15th), so you should have a day to evaluate the performance difference at 1440p judge whether it's worth it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 14, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bathysphere posted:

My last build was back in early 2016 and I haven't upgraded it since and I'm starting to run into issues these days with games so I thought I might as well just go for a full re-build. Included in the new build is a 4 TB WD Black HDD which I already own which is in my current build, I'm a bit of a hoarder and so I need more storage space. I plan on running a dual monitor setup using the new monitor with my current BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P. I kinda just wanted to sort of double check the build to see if everything makes sense and there wasn't some issue I wasn't aware of. I know that there was an issue with having dual monitor 144Hz + 60Hz and I was wondering if that would happen here as well since the Acer Nitro is 170Hz. I'm also not the type to just upgrade parts every now and then, which is some small justification for the price. Any feedback would be really appreciated this stuff is fairly confusing for me.

What country are you in? New Zealand
What are you using the system for? Gaming (Total War, Victoria 3, Cyberpunk, Age of Empires 4)
What's your budget? 4.5k NZD
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p 144hz

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($635.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($199.00 @ Computer Lounge)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B660M-A WIFI D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($309.00 @ Playtech)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($260.85 @ Newegg New Zealand)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($165.63 @ Paradigm PCs)
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK 4 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($314.67 @ Aquila Technology)
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 8 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($359.00 @ Computer Lounge)
Video Card: Asus ROG STRIX GAMING OC V2 GeForce RTX 3080 10GB LHR 10 GB Video Card ($1499.00 @ Computer Lounge)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($329.00 @ Computer Lounge)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($165.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Monitor: Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz Monitor
Total: $4236.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-14 22:27 NZDT+1300

I've also heard of some people having issues with mismatched monitor refresh rates, but I've been doing this for several years now and haven't ever run into any such issues. I'm not entirely sure what the conditions are to reproduce this issue, but it's either fixed now or not a universal issue.

My head is spinning at these NZ prices, but the part selection here seems solid for the most part. The only thing I might want to nitpick is pointing out that it seems like you can save $100 by going with an MSI Gaming Z Trio 3080, and you can save a lot of money by buying a Windows key off of SA-Mart. You should also bump that power supply up to 850W just to be on the safe side.

edit: also more nitpicking, but the price tag on the D15 is making me cringe enough that I had to go hunting for a better deal, and it seems the Deepcool AK620 is $125 there, which may be a better deal. It performs very similarly to the D15.

edit 2: I'm also gonna recommend this motherboard over the one you selected. it has a better VRM and just generally superior features and build quality in my opinion for less money. If you want a full ATX option for more expansion slots and m.2 slots, I'd probably go with the B660 tomahawk

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 14, 2022

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've said this before, but the 4090 is huge overkill for 1440p, and you will end up either CPU or refresh-rate bottlenecked a lot even with a 13700K. The 4090 was really made for 4K, and the 4080 will still be able to max out your monitor's refresh rate in a lot of games. So while I hate the price for the card, I think the 4080 makes more sense than the 4090 in your case. Look up the time of release in your country and you'll probably be able to get one by F5ing the major online retailers.

The actual sensible 1440p option will likely be the 4070 (or 4070 Ti) again, but that entirely depends on what Nvidia prices them at.

edit: 4080 reviews may be coming tomorrow (the 15th), so you should have a day to evaluate the performance difference at 1440p judge whether it's worth it.

Ah yes, my apologies - I completely missed your earlier reply until I just searched for it:

The 4090 is extreme overkill for 1440p. You will be unable to make full use of the card because something else will be bottlenecking you in nearly every game (the CPU, your display's refresh rate, or even game engine limitations). It will last a while, more than "a few years," but so would something half the price. I would consider waiting a few months on the GPU purchase to see if Nvidia will lower the price of the 4080 in response to AMD, or even consider getting the 7900 XTX maybe.

I entirely take your points about playing at 1440p. I am very unlikely to change the monitor out for a 4k or 8k model within the lifespan of this GPU so it makes sense not to spend cash on something which I largely won't use. The 4080 (un-un-launched edition) is due to drop in the UK on Wednesday. I guess the question is whether reviewers rate the Radeon RX 6900 XTX over the 4080. Why do you say that reviews will be released tomorrow?

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Nope it’s a great deal and plan if they still have it. Mines been sold out for a while.

Lol yeah now that I looked into it every MC around me is sold out of the deal, oops.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Bouchehog posted:

Why do you say that reviews will be released tomorrow?

The RTX 4080's scheduled launch is wednesday, so the review embargos should be lifting

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes, I used to work at my local one lol
What are you using the system for? Gaming, poo poo posting, graphics / photo editing
What's your budget? $500-700
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I have a 27" WQHD 144ms Acer monitor from Costco I will be replacing with the same thing. Cutting edge graphics are no big deal, but I'd like to be able to play stuff like Battlefield games and other multiplayer shooters.
No professional work so to speak, just editing photos from a DSLR casually and some image editing

So my current system is old and long in the tooth, specifically CPU/RAM/etc, it's an i7 4770k. I'm looking to mostly upgrade CPU/RAM/SSD and potentially get a new case too. I have a GTX 1080 that's in great shape that will serve me well for now and a fairly new PSU, I believe it's a Seasonic Gold 650W but would have to check, forgot where I bought it from. I'd like to keep things closer to $500 but have a bit of cash I could add to the pile if it makes sense. Just wanted to see what recommendations you all had for me as I dive into researching stuff

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Just a reminder for people looking to upgrade on a budget, Microcenter is still running their "Ryzen 5 3600 and Gigabyte B450M" bundle for $130 deal

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bouchehog posted:

Ah yes, my apologies - I completely missed your earlier reply until I just searched for it:

I entirely take your points about playing at 1440p. I am very unlikely to change the monitor out for a 4k or 8k model within the lifespan of this GPU so it makes sense not to spend cash on something which I largely won't use. The 4080 (un-un-launched edition) is due to drop in the UK on Wednesday. I guess the question is whether reviewers rate the Radeon RX 6900 XTX over the 4080. Why do you say that reviews will be released tomorrow?

I might be wrong. The 4090 review embargo was a day ahead of release, but it seems like the embargo this time might be up on the day of release, which is pretty lovely if so.

Expect the 7900 XTX to be faster in rasterization and slower at ray tracing, generally. I think it would be fine for 1440p, to be honest.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I might be wrong. The 4090 review embargo was a day ahead of release, but it seems like the embargo this time might be up on the day of release, which is pretty lovely if so.

Expect the 7900 XTX to be faster in rasterization and slower at ray tracing, generally. I think it would be fine for 1440p, to be honest.

Embargo review day tells you a lot about the product. Day of means it likely performs at or worse than expectations, or that it’s not competitive with the AMD cards.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It can also say Nvidia knows it'll sell out on day one regardless of whether it's good or not so they don't need reviews out to convince people.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I have a very old computer that still works for my needs, but I could use a new SSD, probably 1TB but if prices are good I'd consider 2. I see the thread favorite SN570 recommended, but it appears to be M2 only, and I do not have an M2 slot. Do companies still make decent SATA SSDs, and if so, what should I look for? Thanks!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Grumpwagon posted:

I have a very old computer that still works for my needs, but I could use a new SSD, probably 1TB but if prices are good I'd consider 2. I see the thread favorite SN570 recommended, but it appears to be M2 only, and I do not have an M2 slot. Do companies still make decent SATA SSDs, and if so, what should I look for? Thanks!

Is this going to be expanded storage or a boot drive? If it's just a secondary drive for games and programs then there's a wide range of cheap SATA SSDs that perform the job well (Team Group / Vulcan alone have like six comparable drives in the $60/tb category), but for a boot drive I'd recommend a higher quality drive with a DRAM cache and a good controller like the SK hynix S31 Gold.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Yeah, I'm thinking boot. I have a 500gb EVO 840 in the currently, but that's getting tight and it's pretty old at this point.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking boot. I have a 500gb EVO 840 in the currently, but that's getting tight and it's pretty old at this point.

IMO stick with the 840, get a cheap storage dump SSD like mentioned above, and wait for your next upgrade where you can get an m2 drive.

SATA based SSDs can barely get faster than your 840 (sata is the limiting factor rather than the SSD itself), and spending extra on a high class 2.5” ssd won’t give you any perceivable uplift in performance.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
There are some pretty good pre-black friday deals on samsung SSDs (both NVME and SATA) on amazon at the moment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hobnob posted:

There are some pretty good pre-black friday deals on samsung SSDs (both NVME and SATA) on amazon at the moment.

I have been poking around NVME drives, and they appear to also be matched by Micro Center. For NVME:

$159.99 970 EVO 2TB
$79.99 980 1 TB

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Sounds good, thanks all!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 980 Pro is an A-tier drive, but the 980 non-pro is much slower and generally mediocre. I wouldn't pay $80 for a 1TB 980.

edit: 1TB Adata XPG Gammix S7 for $68, or $140 for 2TB: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BF635YK

DRAM + TLC flash (not sure which modules). Will most likely be faster than the 980 in most use cases for less money.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 14, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

njsykora posted:

It can also say Nvidia knows it'll sell out on day one regardless of whether it's good or not so they don't need reviews out to convince people.

Oh hey look, the pricing on the 3080 makes it a poo poo value.

https://youtu.be/i2_xTUshy94

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Oh hey look, the pricing on the 3080 makes it a poo poo value.

https://youtu.be/i2_xTUshy94

Way overpriced. Like at that point just get the 4090 you are way deep into it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Since we don't have a cases-specific thread: I've recommended Phanteks cases before, but now I can also recommend their customer support. I ordered a few parts from their site, and one of the parts had the wrong item in the right factory-sealed box (like, no way for a dude at the warehouse filling my order to know). I emailed Phanteks support yesterday afternoon and this morning I got a tracking number for the replacement. I don't think I've ever seen that fast of a support turnaround.