Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

reclaimed a bit more desk space with some new Gator studio monitor stands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

What stand is that for the two vertically stacked monitors?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

What stand is that for the two vertically stacked monitors?

Just a VIVO Stand

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CUW5HDU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Nice, ty! When I last looked at those, I got the impression the top screen would look/feel funky since the top arm doesn't stick out any farther. Looks great on yours, though

bredfrown
Nov 2, 2022

Pixel pusher and game maker.
Cables are an absolute mess, but I'm happy with this setup:

bredfrown fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 2, 2022

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Not sure if this is the right thread, but recently I've got some issues with a Kensington Displaylink docking station. It works fine for USB peripherals but it won't pass any monitor signals to my laptop via USB (from neither DVI or HDMI). Googling the issue hasn't really come up with any solutions, besides seeing there's a shitload of problems with it.

I'm open to other solutions and getting rid of this docking station for something better if necessary.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Displaylink sucking? I'm shocked.

What mac are you using it with?

I've got a Dell WD15 that would never work for video on my old 16" Macbook Pro with Intel+AMD GPU, but works perfectly fine on all other macs i've tested it on - Intel only, M1, M1 Pro. It's yours if you want it, just pm me, I'm using a different Thunderbolt 3 dock now and this one has been collecting dust, but honestly it works perfectly fine. Dell WD15

edit: Thought this was the mac thread, not sure why I assumed you're using a mac. This dock has also worked with every windows PC I've used it with. Yours if you want it.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 3, 2022

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Another dumb question about these kinds of setups: if you just have the two primary monitors (meaning no third side screen or big speakers or whatever), where do you put the webcam? Can you put it in between the two stacked monitors, or does that look weird and make the top one too high for comfort?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

Another dumb question about these kinds of setups: if you just have the two primary monitors (meaning no third side screen or big speakers or whatever), where do you put the webcam? Can you put it in between the two stacked monitors, or does that look weird and make the top one too high for comfort?

my webcam is on the speaker to the right

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Photex posted:

my webcam is on the speaker to the right

I saw, but I don't have a speaker to the right. That's why I was curious if anyone had tried the middle placement

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
If your webcam is meant to "clip" to the top of the monitor, does it by chance have a bit of tape on there? Even if it doesn't, double sided tape or velcro tape is cheap. Attach it to the side of one of your monitors.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Unsinkabear posted:

I have a stacked monitor setup. Bottom monitor is a 34" ultrawide and my top monitor is a standard 24" monitor. I have my webcam on the ultra wide off to the left a bit.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
Webcam at 3/4 twitch streamer style is way better anyways

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Brain Issues posted:

Displaylink sucking? I'm shocked.

What mac are you using it with?

I've got a Dell WD15 that would never work for video on my old 16" Macbook Pro with Intel+AMD GPU, but works perfectly fine on all other macs i've tested it on - Intel only, M1, M1 Pro. It's yours if you want it, just pm me, I'm using a different Thunderbolt 3 dock now and this one has been collecting dust, but honestly it works perfectly fine. Dell WD15

edit: Thought this was the mac thread, not sure why I assumed you're using a mac. This dock has also worked with every windows PC I've used it with. Yours if you want it.

I’ll have a look at the dell ones. Are any of them fine? Ideally I’d like one with a few extra USB ports, but I could hook up a usb hub if necessary.

Displaylink used to work fine for me for years on both windows and macs. But all of a sudden it refused to work with any kind of display on any type of machine.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

LochNessMonster posted:

I’ll have a look at the dell ones. Are any of them fine? Ideally I’d like one with a few extra USB ports, but I could hook up a usb hub if necessary.

Displaylink used to work fine for me for years on both windows and macs. But all of a sudden it refused to work with any kind of display on any type of machine.

There's just too many variables with USB-C dock compatibility, so I won't recommend a dock to someone unless I've personally tested it with the machine they are using or similar. I've tested this WD15 with almost everything on the market and every feature works (with the exception of Intel 16"MBP).

PM me if you want it, someone else already asked me so I'm starting a :twentyfour: hour clock from now and then it goes to the other person.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Brain Issues posted:

There's just too many variables with USB-C dock compatibility, so I won't recommend a dock to someone unless I've personally tested it with the machine they are using or similar. I've tested this WD15 with almost everything on the market and every feature works (with the exception of Intel 16"MBP).

PM me if you want it, someone else already asked me so I'm starting a :twentyfour: hour clock from now and then it goes to the other person.

Appreciate the offer but I live EU so shipping would probably make it not ideal. Sell it to the other guy.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

LochNessMonster posted:

Appreciate the offer but I live EU so shipping would probably make it not ideal. Sell it to the other guy.

Ah yeah that would make shipping quite expensive.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Ok, so, not very long ago I posted my desktop because I'd just bought a used Aeron and thought I had my endgame setup, but then things happened and pretty much everything changed and now I have a completely new setup:

When I got the Aeron it started to bother me that I couldn't fit my legs comfortably under my desk because of the drawer so I bought a new desk. Since the new desk had no storage space I got a matching file cabinet. In the process of building a computer for my girlfriend I ended up with an extra 1080p monitor so I traded my old portable screen for a portrait monitor. Since I had an actual second monitor I traded the 1440p Ultrawide for a 4k 16:9. I also upgraded my computer and ended up having to get a new case so for the first time in my life I put a tiny teeny bit of effort into RGB and cable management. Also since I'm waiting for a Wooting 60HE that's supposed to come early next year I got a few pieces of decorative pegboard, which is now holding my G915 that's been for sale on FB Marketplace for like a year (so weird, people will trip over themselves to buy my old Ikea furniture that's been through 6 moves and that I'm selling for 90% of the original price but won't buy my pristine electronics for half price...).

When the Wooting comes (and new switches for my F97; I got BadSeed's new tactiles that I'm really curious about! And also a deskmat that I ordered months ago that's supposed to arrive this year) THEN I'll definitely have my endgame setup!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

CordlessPen posted:

Ok, so, not very long ago I posted my desktop because I'd just bought a used Aeron and thought I had my endgame setup, but then things happened and pretty much everything changed and now I have a completely new setup

You're just like me. I keep coming back to this thread and thinking hmm, I could afford a few more bucks for _________.

Nice setup.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I really really really want that Aeron with the chrome frame

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

RGB tile project done!

Case goes stealth due to tinted glass when off.

Repping the brown and tan.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 14, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
That is legit gorgeous, holy poo poo.

Everything about your setup rules. His/Her workstations, tidy cables, UPS, space-saving monitor stands, wall-mounted TV, all in the fuctional family rec room. You're the suburban dad I wish I could be.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
Sadly the much maligned 50" display in my office died, as a reasonable person I decided to reassess my priorities and

replaced it with a 55" display.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i emitted an actual laugh

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Make it look like a window into outer space

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Three Olives posted:

Sadly the much maligned 50" display in my office died, as a reasonable person I decided to reassess my priorities and

lmao

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

well why not posted:

i emitted an actual laugh

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Three Olives posted:

I have to ask, what are those extra screens on your desk aside from your two monitors?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

I have to ask, what are those extra screens on your desk aside from your two monitors?

Left to right, JBL Link Show, 11" 3rd monitor, Ambient Weather station display and my home phone.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

What kind of psycho still has a landline in such a digitized home? Honestly, this explains a lot.

The 55" bit was loving great, don't let anyone stop your mad quest to put pointless screens on your walls.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Unsinkabear posted:

What kind of psycho still has a landline in such a digitized home? Honestly, this explains a lot.

The 55" bit was loving great, don't let anyone stop your mad quest to put pointless screens on your walls.

I have mid-range hearing loss and phone calls are exceptionally difficult for me to hear.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Mobile signal is still exceptionally trash in so many places in TYOOL 2022 that having a landline/VoIP is a no brainer if you work at home and need to be reachable when you're working, especially given how cheap they are.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Having an actual landline, as in POTS, is stupid in most cases but if I'm working at a desk and need to be accessible by phone then gently caress yeah I want a desk phone.

My cell phone is an internet device that happens to be able to make phone calls if it has to, I'm not using that as a primary phone, and while softphones are great it's nice to have a dedicated appliance if you have the room to spare.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Do you guys actually hold the desk phone handset to your ear? I can't stand to be on a call for more than a couple minutes without a headset or some other hands free interface.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

SamDabbers posted:

Do you guys actually hold the desk phone handset to your ear? I can't stand to be on a call for more than a couple minutes without a headset or some other hands free interface.

I have an insanely embarrassing headset lol but I still do some customer service in the course of my hosed up employment

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Three Olives posted:

Left to right, JBL Link Show, 11" 3rd monitor, Ambient Weather station display and my home phone.

“Captain’s Log, Stardate 76856.62: Number One (my husband) no longer observes the chain of command. I have asked him to bring me a sandwich three times today to no avail…”

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

“Captain’s Log, Stardate 76856.62: Number One (my husband) no longer observes the chain of command. I have asked him to bring me a sandwich three times today to no avail…”

:lol:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

SamDabbers posted:

I was about to ask a similar question. If a phone call lasts more than a few minutes I will switch to BT earplugs. Of course actual phone calls even in work context are nowadays once-a-month thing. Usually call starts as a quick back and forth over Teams chat, and after agreement is upgraded to a Teams call.

For a long time I was using a PS4 headset for online meetings, with pretty good comfort and sound quality. But recently I had a Monday when I spent 6 hours wearing the headset with a total of 11 meetings that week and I had enough.

I plugged the work laptop into my home stereo and purchased a streaming microphone with a desktop mic stand. With a sound coming from floor standing speakers and the mic at an arms length I have achieved supreme meeting audio in both directions.

I feel this kind of setup would be more difficult to achieve with a desk phone. In my previous helpdesk job we were using desk phones with headsets and I switched to a software phone so I could use a better headset connected to the computer. (And listen to music while on a call).

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

It's actually all super functional, JBL Link Show is just a Google Home with Display device with nice speakers, so, whole house audio, home control, view security cameras, if weather is bad or something I can throw a Hulu live TV stream for through Google Cast. 3rd display is especially helpful when I WFH, I can just throw teams our outlook on it as an a side display, outside of work, iMessage. Ambient Weather, it's just a weather station display/WiFi link for the weather station. Just shows time, windspeed, UV, rain events, super basic.

Phone is just a cheap Polycom connected to VOIP, it's literally like $4 a month total for three voice lines and a fax line.

Wall display, it's 4k, auto dims, background pulls high resolution photos. 55" might be a might be stretching it size wise, but honestly, most people don't even realize it is even a display until the background changes and they are just like "Oh poo poo!"

It was really started as a WFH thing, displayed my meetings, lists, etc on an easy to display board. It grew on me, I swear in person with the room lights on you would think it was just a giant photo, not even backlit, I've thought about having an actual frame made for it.

I don't know how many of you have seen Samsung The Frame TVs, but with proper color settings and brightness, a modern, even cheap-ish 4K tv in the right conditions and the right content doesn't even look like a display these days unless you see something moving on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SamDabbers posted:

Oh hell no. I have a Yealink WH62 headset that connects to both my PC and phone, so I can be watching Youtube videos or whatever, receive calls, and wander around my apartment. The handset is there to be convenient to grab and nothing more. I just like having a physical interface for call control, especially when managing multiple calls. BLF buttons are nice as well, having actual lights indicating the state of other lines and such rather than a window that always ends up behind 13 other things when I want it.