Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Hugo Lloris is right. It shouldn't be on the players to shoulder the responsibility for this World Cup. It's a professional event for them that they might play in 4 or 5 of max in their career, for a lot of them they're lucky they get this 1. The last time Wales made it was 1958. If you want to get mad at people, start with the ex pros that are going there for pundit money or to put a star face on the tournament in exchange for sacks of cash, the national football associations that decided to take part anyway, the sponsors, kit manufacturers and obviously FIFA for this nakedly blatant product of utter corruption.

I don't give a poo poo that Lisandro Martinez has gone off to play for Brazil at an international tournament. I do give a poo poo that former players like Gary Neville that have waxed lyrical on various political points and the Glazer ownership is not only doing punditry in Qatar, but doing it for Bein Sports. For those not in the know, Bein Sports is owned by Qatar and Neville's business puts him shoulder to shoulder with colleagues such as sacked from Sky in misogynistic disgrace Andy Gray and Richard Keys.

I don't care Maguire's massive head is apparently worth its weight in gold to Gareth "Cowardly Lion" Southgate, I do care that David Beckham is getting wheelbarrows full of cash he doesn't need to to be an ambassador for the tournament.

The players are victims of this tournament not the ones we should be expecting to do something about it now that people in far better positions have failed/not bothered to do so. 10 years ago the national FAs should have turned around and said "gently caress you we're not going if you hold it there" and stood firm. There was little appetite for that though because noted oval office and Qatar shill Platini was head of UEFA at the time and you'd need the big UEFA countries and South Americans to really hold FIFA's feet to the fire.

I'm from a country for which this World Cup is the first time we've qualified in my lifetime, and I think you're spot on. I don't blame any of the Canadian players for going or for playing their hearts out, hopefully not literally, though I do hope that they make some kind of political statement while doing so. For some of them (Atiba Hutchinson is like 50 years old) this is the culmination of an entire lifetime of work and most likely their only chance to ever play in a World Cup. But yeah, what's Gary Neville's excuse? What's David Beckham's excuse? poo poo, what's Leo Messi's excuse for being a Qatar ambassador instead of just a regular player for Argentina?

Lloris is right that it isn't the players' fault and at this point there's nothing they can do about it except some protests that will, in the end, be meaningless gestures. The fix was in 12 years ago. But I definitely do draw a line between people who are going to go play in a World Cup for sporting reasons and multimillionaires who see it as an opportunity to make some extra cash by sportswashing the slaveowning dictatorship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
im beginning to think this world cup has some problems

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bea Nanner posted:

im beginning to think this world cup has some problems

hosed up if true

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

hosed up if t_rue

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I hope that players will use their stature to protest in some way at the World Cup but it's certainly not an obligation and I will not think less of individual players if they do not.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Feel like giving Mexico and the US a big total to chase won’t end brilliantly

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar boycotted those Olympics for similar reasons and the media destroyed his character and went after him for decades because of it. His career pretty obviously wasn't ended because of it but it definitely obliterated his public image for the rest of his career.

They didn't destroy anything, not his public image or anything like that. He was a really sensitive, intelligent, introverted guy who happened to also be black as well as an athletic unicorn. He didn't fit in any paradigms the public had.

It was too difficult for me to get enthusiastic about representing a country that refused to represent me or others of my color. Another reason I chose not to participate was my intense dislike for the International Olympic Committee’s president, Avery Brundage, who, during the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, benched two Jewish runners so as not to embarrass Adolph Hitler by having Jews win a gold medal. Not only was this against the Olympic rules, but information has since been revealed that Brundage’s construction company was bidding for German contracts, which is why he was so eager to please Hitler. I couldn’t bring myself to work under the supervision of someone like that. America was angry at me for not showing gratitude to the country that had given me so many opportunities. I was grateful, but I also thought it disingenuous to show appreciation unless all people had the same opportunities. Just because I had made it to a lifeboat didn’t mean I could forget those who hadn’t.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSi6iF9kVBs&t=65s

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

The current total is over five times that

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Also, I suspect those Brazil numbers are not entirely accurate. Didn't they bulldoze favelas to build this poo poo?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/SimonPeach/status/1592573164907032577

Seems the song has gotten a new tune

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

big fan of the guy in the lower right 10 seconds in taking an upside down video

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

This is just embarrassing. Surely they could have just subsidised flights so actual fans could have come? Or is it that there's no space for them so that shipping container fan accomodation is just repainted workers digs?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

This is just embarrassing. Surely they could have just subsidised flights so actual fans could have come? Or is it that there's no space for them so that shipping container fan accomodation is just repainted workers digs?

You can't force someone to get on a plane and spend 2 weeks in a hellhole like Qatar.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

They paid the England band off and some of them are there as ambassadors

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

Perhaps there'll be some people emerging from holes in the ground as The Great Escape plays

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Everybody is aware of the score
These scores have been seen previously

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I particularly like how they were too cheap to print the English flag on both sides

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mickolution posted:

Oh boy was he that.

IIRC, on top of this, he was instrumental in bringing the Olympics to Berlin in 1936, continuing with the games after the Munich Massacre in 1972 and refused to help Jim Thorpe get his medals back.
Also in said 1936 Olympics when he was head of the USOC, Brundage - a well-known temperance/teetotaler guy - sent a US swimmer home claiming she was alcoholic and insubordinate.

It turned out her actual crime was that she went out and had a drink in Berlin on a day she wasn't scheduled to compete.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/wc22updates/status/1592492531585286144?t=12Suox3x9E7tEjK2XEUckw&s=19

Lmao, better than a shipping container without AC I guess.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

No toilets, showers or running water either. Those outhouses are gonna be disgusting.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
strong Fyre Festival vibes

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Compared to that my university dorm room was a luxury suite.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Trying to sleep in my freezing tent in the middle of the desert while the rent a cops teargas a load of French ultras. Hanging up the do not disturb sign on my thin piece of cloth

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Trying to sleep in my freezing tent in the middle of the desert while the rent a cops teargas a load of French ultras. Hanging up the do not disturb sign on my thin piece of cloth

Just more time to tweet what a great, sober, time you're having at the greatest world cup of all time

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Just more time to tweet what a great, sober, time you're having at the greatest world cup of all time

Brave of you to think that Twitter will last that long.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Just like a waving door, a waving door…

Total Meatlove fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 15, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
As a followup to the earlier discussion about pundits and retired players having no excuse for going to Qatar, even Philipp "The Super League is the future of football" Lahm says Qatar is poo poo and he won't go.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

vyelkin posted:

As a followup to the earlier discussion about pundits and retired players having no excuse for going to Qatar, even Philipp "The Super League is the future of football" Lahm says Qatar is poo poo and he won't go.

Maybe Muller can get him a job on his horse wanking farm

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

the sex ghost posted:

So many ways this thing can go sideways.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

danish tv got interrupted doing a live report from qatar by security guards wanting to smash their camera for filming in a public place
https://streamja.com/62ky1

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

God it's going to be the Sochi Winter Olympics all over again isn't it? Just sad devoid poo poo show, with a thin curtain trying to hide the horror.

In other words a WWE Saudi show, only way way longer.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Grimson posted:

danish tv got interrupted doing a live report from qatar by security guards wanting to smash their camera for filming in a public place
https://streamja.com/62ky1

It begins. Just depressing viewing.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I hope that all this poo poo helps shine an even brighter spotlight on how lovely the whole area is although I doubt it'd make a difference

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Alctel posted:

I hope that all this poo poo helps shine an even brighter spotlight on how lovely the whole area is although I doubt it'd make a difference

i doubt it, considering f1 still went through with the saudi race after the houthis blew up some oil storage tanks like 5km away from the circuit earlier this year

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Gay Qataris physically abused then recruited as agents, campaigner says

Gay Qataris have been promised safety from physical torture in exchange for helping the authorities to track down other LGBTQ+ people in the country, a prominent Qatari doctor and gay rights campaigner has told the Guardian.

Dr Nasser Mohamed, who lives in the US but retains contact with hundreds of gay Qataris, said that some secret networks had been compromised after arrests by Qatar’s preventive security department.

“A lot [of gay Qataris] don’t know about each other,” Mohamed said. “And it’s safer that way because when the law enforcement finds one person, they actively try to find their entire network. But some of the people who were captured and physically abused were then recruited as agents.

“Now there are agents in the gay community that were promised safety from physical torture in exchange for working for the preventive security department and helping them find groups of LGBTQ+ people.”

Mohamed told the Guardian that foreign gay fans in Qatar would not be persecuted while at the World Cup finals tournament. However, he warned that local LGBTQ+ supporters faced a very different reality. “What is it like to be an LGBT Qatari? You live in fear, you live in the shadows, you’re actively persecuted. You’re subjected to state-sponsored physical and mental abuse. It’s dangerous to be an LGBT person in Qatar.”

Last month Human Rights Watch reported that Qatar’s preventive security department forces had arbitrarily arrested lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people and subjected them to ill‑treatment in detention. HRW also documented six cases of severe and repeated beatings and five cases of sexual harassment in police custody between 2019 and 2022.

Rasha Younes, a senior researcher with HRW, told the Guardian that some cases were more striking than most. “There was one story of a transgender woman who was detained in solitary confinement for two months underground, lost her job as a result of being detained and was not able to give notice to her employer that she was gone,” she said. “They shaved her 17-inch long hair in detention, severely beat her until she bled, and denied her medical care.”

HRW is calling for the Qatari authorities to repeal article 285 and all other laws that criminalise consensual sexual relations outside of marriage and introduce legislation that protects against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity, online and offline. It also wants freedom of expression and nondiscrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity to be guaranteed, permanently, for all residents of Qatar.

Younes also criticised Fifa for failing to do more. “We’ve been engaging with Fifa with other sports organisations and LGBT rights activists for years and they have not been paying attention,” she said. “They have not been at all responsive or listen to the accounts that we have shared. Now that we have all this evidence, it’s really time for Fifa to stop having its fingers in its ears and actually listen.”

Fifa said it was committed to inclusivity and that it was “confident that all necessary measures will be in place for LGBTIQ+ fans and allies to enjoy the tournament in a welcoming and safe environment, just as for everyone else”.

In a statement, Qatar’s Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy promised the World Cup would be free of any discrimination. “The SC is committed to delivering an inclusive and discrimination-free Fifa World Cup experience that is welcoming, safe and accessible to all participants, attendees and communities in Qatar and around the world,” it said.

“Everyone is welcome in Qatar, but we are a conservative country and any public display of affection, regardless of orientation, is frowned upon. We simply ask for people to respect our culture.

“More than 600 international and regional sporting events have been held in Qatar since we were awarded the rights to host the tournament, welcoming thousands of fans from every corner of the world. While the tournament is the biggest event yet, there has never been an issue and every event has been delivered safely.”

Qatar’s government has also been invited to comment on the claims made by Mohammed and HRW. A Qatari official has said previously that HRW’s allegations “contain information that is categorically and unequivocally false”, without specifying.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/15/gay-qataris-physically-abused-then-recruited-as-agents-campaigner-says

This is how the Stasi used to track down dissidents.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Total Meatlove posted:

I was hoping they’d have immigrants recreate the band, too.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

blue footed boobie posted:

I was hoping they’d have immigrants recreate the band, too.

They did?
https://twitter.com/footballramble/status/1592578792383709184?s=46&t=xfYHcfj9pNyV1lawh1m4-g

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

I'm the Mines of Moria entrance archway they painted on the unsecured tent flap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
lmao that of all the names who've worn the England #7 jersey, that guy opted for his own name

e; the guy wearing #9 as well :laffo: