Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Maye Musk posted:

"My nickname for Elon was Genius Boy."

Errol Musk posted:

"My younger son is also a billionaire. He is my pride and joy, Kimbal."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
lol remember that awful elon musk dis track that one girl put out

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
even THAT was funnier than elon musk

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

500excf type r posted:

I would not call musk fans "specifically intelligent in an engineering focused way" but more like people without any formal education in science/math/physics but loving love it!!

Yeah in my tech circles I still see a lot of folks driving Tesla’s but their opinion of that company and Musk himself has fallen off a lot.

5 years ago I was a weirdo for hating both, now it’s default in engineering circles. (Anecdotal, natch)

At this point the only people I see praising musk are capitalism worshippers, genuine idiots, and people who have Marvel/Tony Stark is Real Life brain disease (that’s a very overlapping Venn diagram btw)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

crime weed posted:

its actually pretty much confirmed that he was told that he was a pedo by some random 4channer pretending to be a private investigator (that he paid 50k to lol) :eng101:

I'll tell musk he's a pedo for half that.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

You guys, idk, this seems wild but: I don't think this guy's interesting or smart enough to deserve the fame or attention.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Ups_rail posted:

hmm at lest elon can never be potus.

he has us cit through his mom's side I think??

but luckily both Musk and his rats are tooo lazy to actual vote(or even register to vote), got to crunch/hustle code or some poo poo.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Waffle House posted:

You guys, idk, this seems wild but: I don't think this guy's interesting or smart enough to deserve the fame or attention.

I disagree. It's very interesting that a silver spoon fuckup can fail upward this long.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Decon posted:

I disagree. It's very interesting that a silver spoon fuckup can fail upward this long.

there are few ways to lose such unimaginably large sums of money so quickly, but musk is showing us all thankfully what those ways are

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

pretty soft girl posted:

Wait there are actually people who take rokos' basilisk seriously and/or successfully grift other people with it? who are these bazinga rubes

I don't think there was ever a huge number of people who took the basilisk seriously, but... yeah. That's what makes Roko's basilisk funny: a gaggle of techbro "philosophers" recreated Pascal's wager from first principles, then scared themselves silly with it. And the whole purpose of the idea was to explain why LessWrong (the Thiel-backed stable of pseudophilosophers run by a guy best known for an interminable Harry Potter fanfic and being annoying on transhumanist mailing lists in the early 2000s) needed your support, because they were the cutting edge of AI ethics research and if they failed then Skynet would paperclip maximize us out of existence and stick our digitally recreated-from-metadata souls in hell simulations for not supporting its creation.

I don't think it ever was successfully used as a grift because it just made everybody involved look stupid, but the intent to prey on fears of AI was totally there.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Decon posted:

You imply that this was sweat of brow failure. I disagree, this failure was clearly purchased for large sums of money.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
what I don't get is how as the leader of the company, his reaction when someone comes to him and says "aha, look what Dennis from the database team really thinks of you! He secretly said your ideas suck in our Slack chat!" is to say "good job, I will fire that insolent underling, there is a promotion waiting for you if you keep this up" and not "what the gently caress is wrong with you"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Having a LOL that Elon is cutting free food at Twitter, something even the Imperial Torture Labor Camp in Andor realized is a good thing to provide.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1592536040551886848?s=20&t=DhKNExPS430B6sFjCUbqFg

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mal-3 posted:

I don't think there was ever a huge number of people who took the basilisk seriously, but... yeah. That's what makes Roko's basilisk funny: a gaggle of techbro "philosophers" recreated Pascal's wager from first principles, then scared themselves silly with it. And the whole purpose of the idea was to explain why LessWrong (the Thiel-backed stable of pseudophilosophers run by a guy best known for an interminable Harry Potter fanfic and being annoying on transhumanist mailing lists in the early 2000s) needed your support, because they were the cutting edge of AI ethics research and if they failed then Skynet would paperclip maximize us out of existence and stick our digitally recreated-from-metadata souls in hell simulations for not supporting its creation.

I don't think it ever was successfully used as a grift because it just made everybody involved look stupid, but the intent to prey on fears of AI was totally there.

Starting with "enlightened post-singularity supercomputers" as the basis of your philosophy and then reinventing Christian Hell is hilarious and should never not be brought up when anyone actually espouses their ideas.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Ooh the December issue of Big Boobs is out!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mal-3 posted:

you've got it very backwards, the basilisk was never supposed to get people to donate to Big Yud

the future hellsatancomputer is going to torture a simulation of you (which you care about for extremely stupid LessWrong reasons) unless you specifically avoid the nice-AI people and instead donate your money to work on building the hellsatancomputer

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

This new authentication process is way more fun than actually getting your password and logging into twitter.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Don't know what to tell you buddy.

Take a frickin hike pal.

Gary rules.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1592586179169652737

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

https://twitter.com/caseynewton/status/1592539948745650176?s=46&t=WECUnvKQpcnlhU3eKVRxLA

It does sound like he’s going after anyone who says anything negative about him no matter how necessary they are

:lol: If there was anyone left in HR, they would have told Lonnie that he has to follow a discipline guideline before termination unless there's an "egregious conduct" clause that allows instant termination, and he'll have to prove that affirmatively. Otherwise, that's wrongful termination, and doing that wholecloth smells like easy money to lawyers :lol:

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you've got it very backwards, the basilisk was never supposed to get people to donate to Big Yud

the future hellsatancomputer is going to torture a simulation of you (which you care about for extremely stupid LessWrong reasons) unless you specifically avoid the nice-AI people and instead donate your money to work on building the hellsatancomputer

Ah, but you see the brain trust at LessWrong were going to Very Smart at the problem and thereby create the nice-AI which would gain primacy instead of hellsatancomputer. Therefore you should continue to support Eliezer's boys and pay no heed to HellSatanComputerCo.

Or something. I swear to god this whole thing just gets stupider every time I look back at it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The Ligma tweet would be a (good in a vacuum) joke if it happened the by the day after the initial news coverage. The fact that it happened at this point in time makes me suspicious that he's trolling through media coverage about the firings to find out who to doxx

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Anora posted:

Are Catturd and Libs of Tiktok even on other sites? doesn't most of their relevance disappear once Twitter dies?

Imagine being a future history professor having to explain the role of "Catturd2" in the fall of one of western civilization's largest media institutions.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Waffle House posted:

I'm more just interested on the scientific side to see if it's possible to use millions of people to mock a very bad person with endless blood money enough they will go to Mars (or explode themselves trying) then be trapped there.

Sort of like the sending convicts to Australia thing, but instead of forcing them physically, you use their egos to make them do it themselves.

It's an interesting academic question to be solved. Can it work?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

5 years ago I was a weirdo for hating both, now it’s default in engineering circles. (Anecdotal, natch)

So are they not happy with the cars?

Or was it always a brand/stan/fan boy kinda thing.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Cthulu Carl posted:

Having a LOL that Elon is cutting free food at Twitter, something even the Imperial Torture Labor Camp in Andor realized is a good thing to provide.

Not gonna lie, I actually love that show and I’m not even a Star Wars fan

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Ups_rail posted:

So are they not happy with the cars?

Or was it always a brand/stan/fan boy kinda thing.

Both. Kinda like how the whole “I loving love science” thing from Reddit and FB was pretty much everywhere and now people think it’s lame. General opinions of Musk were as high or higher than most CEO’s around and was considered doing a public service. That’s all gone.

I’ve been nosing around the EV market and zero people have recommended a Tesla to me, including people who own one.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gently caress, my granddad used to do this. "I'm an engineer, so I know more about computers than you'll ever know!" Granddad, you can't run anything newer than the loving Commodore 64 that you STILL HAVE and STILL RUN, don't hire me to fix your computers and then give me that poo poo.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

the fact this fucker is replying to libsoftiktok who are legitimately terrorists who threaten hospitals should drive every advertiser away for good

gently caress Elon Musk

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There are still "I loving love science" people around. They aren't as online as they once were, but they're out there holding onto the internet meme identity they adopted 10 years ago, working desk jobs largely unrelated to their science and engineering degrees. Still wearing the sorts of pop culture mash-up tshirts they got in the loot crate services they once subscribed to.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1592647727115927552

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

goatface posted:

There are still "I loving love science" people around. They aren't as online as they once were, but they're out there holding onto the internet meme identity they adopted 10 years ago, working desk jobs largely unrelated to their science and engineering degrees. Still wearing the sorts of pop culture mash-up tshirts they got in the loot crate services they once subscribed to.

You just made me hard flashback to the days of threadless t-shirts

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Decon posted:

not really. accounting fraud in a zero interest environment can carry you for a long loooong time. if you can keep juggling the debt no one really asks questions

now that the music has stopped though…

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

lol I would fire musk and his loyalist arm loving immediately for being useless paranoid pricks

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Away all Goats posted:

Aren't SCPs supposed to be fictional?

The fictional part is that there is a single being doing it, who can in theory be stopped

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Hate to break it to you Eløn (I don’t) but the guy you argued with and fired was an Android developer, and last I checked websites don’t run on that. You can’t even get that thing right you cretin.

Did he lose interest in monetising Twitter or something? Seems like a waste of resources to me but what do I know - I’m not a thin skinned billionaire baby.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 15, 2022

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

That guy wrote code for a website that some idiot bought for 44 billion dollars so maybe he knows what he's doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hobo Clown posted:

That guy wrote code for a website that some idiot bought for 44 billion dollars so maybe he knows what he's doing

But that website wasnt making money hence why they solid it...for 44 billion. so whose the fool now?