Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Some of the power of the Elden Ring is getting passed through the bloodlines, so Marika and Radagon's direct descendants have the most of it, and then it gets weaker from there. So Demigods are just especially powerful in a way no one else can be. Just like we're getting power from runes throughout the game but they're just being born with it. Godrick is her descendant but he's so far down the family tree he has very little power from it. There's implied to be other Demigods but they lost during the Shattering and were forgotten, Godrick is from one of their lines.

Mohg and Morgott are Marika and Godfrey's sons, they were just born cursed so they were cast away and no one knows who they are.

For the first point I thought Tanith was trying to get Rykard's child but the baby ended up only the serpent's kid, and it's not clear just how close to the Snake God the serpent is. The snake people ashes say the other ones are from when the serpent devoured a demigod long ago, and I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be Rykard or some other nameless demigod. I feel like the Rykard thing was pretty recent so I just assumed it was someone else. Demingod status: unclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Shithousing the Grafted Scion at the start of NG+ is more satisfying than I expected.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Scions are nasty - their attacks are just so unpredictable and they have so few obvious openings outside that one jump attack. Couple that with their heavy-duty health, poise, and damage, and the shields that protect them from ranged attacks, and they don't really feel like one of those enemies you ever have a proper counter to.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

quote:

A Great Rune of the shardbearer Godrick. Its blessing raises all attributes.

This Great Rune is known as the anchor ring, found in the center of the Elden Ring.

The first demigods were The Elden Lord Godfrey and his offspring, the golden lineage.

quote:

A Great Rune of the shardbearer Radahn. Its blessing raises maximum HP, FP and Stamina.

Radahn was amongst the children of Rennala and Radagon, who became demigod stepchildren after Radagon's union with Queen Marika.

it's just the lands between name for the members of the royal family who aren't marika

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Pope Guilty posted:

Shithousing the Grafted Scion at the start of NG+ is more satisfying than I expected.

Yeah it absolutely made my day. Just completely owned it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’ve never actually completed NG+ in a from software game other than dark souls 2 since it’s the only one that changed the encounters at all, but you bet I played through the intro of sekiro NG+ just to own that dipshit genichiro that first time you’re supposed to lose

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

in NG+ enemies across the entire lands between should randomly transform into Margit, who in turn transforms into a lobster

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I encountered the dude in Limgrave that turns into a bear for the first time on like my 6th character.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Is it the same giant bear that is by the southern end of the lake? Because I am on my first playthrough and he seemingly came out of the ground out of no where near the path and then literally ate me after bodyslamming me.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Yeah it's a random dude that turns into a huge bear if you attack him (and probably beats you senseless).

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I am surprised Rune Bears don't stay dead, like those giant lions.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ironslave posted:

I am surprised Rune Bears don't stay dead, like those giant lions.

They're the toughest respawning enemies in the game - usually intended to be avoided, not fought.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Darth Walrus posted:

They're the toughest respawning enemies in the game - usually intended to be avoided, not fought.

Has anyone got a video of bears vs sniper crawdads

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Darth Walrus posted:

Look, if the game that has me kill two thirds of the holy trinity didn't want me to kill something, it shouldn't have put it in the game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I like to call them Run Bears

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I see a cute one in the Mistwood sharpening his claws on a tree.

I should pet this bear c/d?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

dialhforhero posted:

I see a cute one in the Mistwood sharpening his claws on a tree.

I should pet this bear c/d?

Confirm. Pet away…

… with the flat side of the heaviest hammer you have

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Darth Nat posted:

Yeah it's a random dude that turns into a huge bear if you attack him (and probably beats you senseless).

There's 5 of these that I know of and likely a couple more. They don't always turn into a bear. I don't want to point out their locations though because they're always a good scare.

Edit: I'm only missing one and it's a freakin lobster that turns into a grafted scion. Lol.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 15, 2022

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

War Wizard posted:

There's 5 of these that I know of and likely a couple more. They don't always turn into a bear. I don't want to point out their locations though because they're always a good scare.

Edit: I'm only missing one and it's a freakin lobster that turns into a grafted scion. Lol.

The one that turns into a blade lion in those cramped ruins scared the poo poo out of me lol.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I don't think I encountered a single one of the transforming enemies on my organic blind first playthrough. They all seem to be enemies that aren't worth fighting either because they're too weak to bother with (nobles) or too hard and not worth fighting (lobster)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you’re a passive creature taller than a turtle, sorry but I’m going to smash you when I ride past on torrent

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Very broad lore question, major spoilers:
i think I’m missing a major piece of lore because I don’t get why after killing morgott, every npc like “yeah sure burn the tree down :)”, I though everyone loved the erdtree

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

i think I’m missing a major piece of lore because I don’t get why after killing morgott, every npc like “yeah sure burn the tree down :)”, I though everyone loved the erdtree

trees being a dick

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
They're fundie hypocrites

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A lot of people have a very complicated relationship with the giant tree whose avatars are genocidal maniacs that collapsed the world order into a sea of blood and chaos in a fit of pique. Even some of the hand readers pump their fist in joy if you say you're gonna do it. I suspect the Tarnishsed would have a much harder go of it if anybody really liked the tree much.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Everything is hosed, the tree didn’t stop that. Sure it was worshiped in a past age, but if it is no good anymore, why cling to it?

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Not really a lore guy but would like to think by the time your done massacring a ton of demigods and otherwise racking up a bunch of astounding feats people are just like uh yeah go ahead, smile and nod, please dont farm me

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Nobody aside from Morgott knew the Erdtree was blocked off, everyone assumed he was the only obstacle to the Erdtree and getting past him would fix everything. When they find out the Erdtree itself is blocking you, they’re okay with drastic measures (aka “cardinal sin”) because they all recognize the current situation is hosed and things need to improve by any means necessary (which may or may not happen depending on the ending you chose)

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Jay Rust posted:

The Two Fingers hosed off and no ones heard from the Greater Will in forever, they just want someone to be lord asap so you can start putting the land back in order and there's not many options.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Runebears respawn because you're sometimes supposed to use them to break things open for you (it is never worth it)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

loquacius posted:

Runebears respawn because you're sometimes supposed to use them to break things open for you (it is never worth it)

Eh, they’re not really all that hard to break and usually the smithing stones are high level enough to justify the effort.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Epic High Five posted:

A lot of people have a very complicated relationship with the giant tree whose avatars are genocidal maniacs that collapsed the world order into a sea of blood and chaos in a fit of pique. Even some of the hand readers pump their fist in joy if you say you're gonna do it. I suspect the Tarnishsed would have a much harder go of it if anybody really liked the tree much.

One if my favorite moments in the game was when your finger reader grandma is like “well burning the tree is literally the worst thing you could possibly do in my religion but if that’s what you need to do then go ahead honey I support you no matter what”. Thanks grandma Enia.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Esme posted:

One if my favorite moments in the game was when your finger reader grandma is like “well burning the tree is literally the worst thing you could possibly do in my religion but if that’s what you need to do then go ahead honey I support you no matter what”. Thanks grandma Enia.

I get the vibe that it's precisely because she's a Finger Reader that she's not quite as reverent towards the Greater Will as she might be, much as a veteran call centre operator would be intimately familiar with their company's particular brand of bullshit.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the one breakable statue outside of a hero's grave is very worth breaking open. I think the one down in a mine that has one of the saw robots nearby is also

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
There's a breakable statue in the Stormveil courtyard with an Omen right by it, but the Omen can't actually break it. You'd have to fight through a bunch of barrel-throwing birds to reach a giant, then kite him back to the statue to break it for 5x SS(1) and 1x SS(2). I really don't think it's worth the effort.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The break stuff for rewards idea is fine but I wish you could actually break it yourself if you had suitably powerful beating stick. The dumbest use of it has to be in Frenzied Flame Proscription where you have to kite the enemies to use their spell on the ramshackle looking little lean-tos to break them, and nothing else, including using the same spell yourself, will work.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Wait, you can break those little hag statues and poo poo?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Consecrated Snowfields is still crappy on a replay even with my expectations being lowered. and the catacomb there sucks!

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

skasion posted:

The break stuff for rewards idea is fine but I wish you could actually break it yourself if you had suitably powerful beating stick. The dumbest use of it has to be in Frenzied Flame Proscription where you have to kite the enemies to use their spell on the ramshackle looking little lean-tos to break them, and nothing else, including using the same spell yourself, will work.

Technically you can break them yourself, by sitting next to them just so and quitting/reloading- the standing up animation you do when you load the game has max attack power for the purpose of destroying objects so you can't get stuck. It's questionable how useful this is, but it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p65hX3eMPPA